Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,535 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (563) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4390956 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:48pm On Dec 10, 2016
Gift for the weekend: This "expo" is a building plan we are building in plain view in one of my building sites, you can copy and build if you dont have money to pay an architect grin grin

Just joking, happy weekend everyone.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 1:47am On Dec 11, 2016
spyder880:
Gift for the weekend: This "expo" is a building plan we are building in plain view in one of my building sites, you can copy and build if you dont have money to pay an architect grin grin

You took this picture from aircraft? cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:54am On Dec 11, 2016
spyder880:

Oga Spyder, I can see that the drone I sent you is working well. smiley

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olaitoro(m): 5:45am On Dec 11, 2016
mufutau55:

Oga Spyder, I can see that the drone I sent you is working well. smiley
Hajji M.
drone kwa, the pics was taken from the last floor of 4 or 5 storey building.

spyder is still mastering the act of drone using. hahaha
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:33am On Dec 11, 2016
spyder880:

Nna I dey suspect you ooh, chey U dey get wings, how U take attain that height with your Iphone 20 grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:35am On Dec 11, 2016
spyder880:

funny thing is, its looks identical to mine up to %85

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by baaliyah(m): 9:44am On Dec 11, 2016
back2sender:
Please my people need your help here.
How much is 0.45 gauge aluminium. Is it per square metre its sold. Attached is the quotation and a picture of the house

Pls how many bedroom is your house. I did my woodwork last week, about to go there for aluminum measurement. congrats.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 11:11am On Dec 11, 2016
Church collapse in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State! shocked

This is a link to the thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/3512461/video-collapsed-reigners-bible-church

[b]Watching the video was so sad. Its been aired on CNN sef~ angry

The other time it was T. B Joshua's church.

We also recall the Lekki Gardens building collapse!

Its one, too many. How much value do we place on human lives in this country?

We need to properly investigate this building catastrophes, not use emtions and religion to cover-up things

IMO, l think if it was established that the collapse was due to any form of "Human Negligence and Incompetence", the Builder, Building Engineer and the Pastor needs to be jailed

My advice to "Builders" in the house (or anyone for that matter, engaged in building for reward"wink is that, not withstanding how good you think you are, you should, like the likes of Abdulwastecx, get a FORMAL Building Qualification and add a certification/membership of the Nigerian Guild of Builders to it because while we cant completely eliminate accidents, not having a formal qualification (and recognition by the supervising Body) in an "occupation" you undertake, exposes you to grave sanctions/conviction/penalties, if you are the builder of a collapsed building............and it can happen anytime [/b]

Lastpage!

BTW: Whenever the house "finally calms down", we should have an academic discussion of WHY building collapse.
This will be of great value to all DIY's as many of us are doing "copy-copy" without understanding the underlying Engineering Dynamics of what we copy, how certain factors vary it or even render our assumptions baseless!
Some accidents dont happen immediately, some take years and are gradual. undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 11:43am On Dec 11, 2016
Heard he building had no pillar and beam to support the Iron rods criss crossing the roof.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 1:21pm On Dec 11, 2016
baaliyah:

Pls how many bedroom is your house. I did my woodwork last week, about to go there for aluminum measurement. congrats.
We're at the same level ...lol
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:57pm On Dec 11, 2016
spyder880:

Neat block work cheesy

Happy weekend sir..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:00pm On Dec 11, 2016
@Egunmogaji Oga Egun, I see you cheesy
Greet us before you leave sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:14pm On Dec 11, 2016
erico2k2:
@KolaShangOne
@abdulwastecx
I think the reason my foundation did not give in is amongst one of this reason .
1.filled with condemned sharp sand not mud
2 No ramming as the sand settled naturally
3 6 inches solid block is more solid than 6 inches hollow block at the sides
4 fairly deep foundation
5 Even ground
6 Did not need water to settle the filling
7 No ramming
What do U recon sirs?? .

Sir, Making use of sharpsand was the right decision.. Sharps and setttles and leaves zero void spaces. Although I would have preferred 9 inches if I were to use solid blocks for foundation of a storey building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:48pm On Dec 11, 2016
back2sender:
Heard he building had no pillar and beam to support the Iron rods criss crossing the roof.

That's not possible.. It won't even stand if it had no columns. THEY might not be rightly sized.

@lastpage The major problem I can see from the pictures shown is the that the Boom (stretch) of the trusses is too too long (I'm thinking about 20metres or more..) without any supporting column in the middle.

Even if you are going to have a boom of 20m (which is not even advisable, then the angle of inclination to the columns should be more obtuse.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:03pm On Dec 11, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Sir, Making use of sharpsand was the right decision.. Sharps and setttles and leaves zero void spaces. Although I would have preferred 9 inches if I were to use solid blocks for foundation of a storey building.
I thought as much, but if you come to my Endz, we all build with 6 inch solid, no hollo, Im talking of sapele and warri, we use hollo for commercial buildings and govt projects grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:04pm On Dec 11, 2016
Meanwhile I saw these some days back took photos B4 I hide inside trailer container come PH grin grin
I believe we talked about using pre cast slab previously and how we can apply it in the Nigerian context.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:16pm On Dec 11, 2016
and

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 7:54pm On Dec 11, 2016
erico2k2:
Meanwhile I saw these some days back took photos B4 I hide inside trailer container come PH grin grin
I believe we talked about using pre cast slab previously and how we can apply it in the Nigerian context.

Fantastic stuff. This should cost a lot less than regular decking we do in Nigeria. It all depends on machinery to move so much of these stuff to site and crane to lift it up and set on the decking.

This makes a lot of sense than what is entail in Nigeria.

Abdulwastecx should look at this and tell us his view on something like this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:25pm On Dec 11, 2016
FastShipping:

Fantastic stuff. This should cost a lot less than regular decking we do in Nigeria. It all depends on machinery to move so much of these stuff to site and crane to lift it up and set on the decking.

Im telling you, not only save cost but time as well,
But to hire that craine nah B the koko
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 3:23am On Dec 12, 2016
FastShipping:

Oga Fastshipping,

It is not that we dont have the "ideas" in Nigeria but we lack the Capacity!
"Capacity" in terms of financial power: The articulated Mixer and the projection crane costs close to a million Dollars each. Only a few people have that kind of money (close to a Billion Naira!) and the few that have it, usually dont invest it in such solid business due to "How they came about the money and ofcourse, lack of business sense". They would rather buy a 'Money-spraying machine" to impress their poor neighbours! grin grin

But one major factor that cuts across the whole economy, that is hindering our development is the "lack-of,..... or epileptic power supply".
No country can make progress, if its electricity is not stable.
All "ideas" would finally 'die or become too expensive to implement', in an environment where Power Supply is like ours in Nigeria.

You need to see how Nigerians progress, when they leave Nigeria's shores, to be convinced that we are "naturally brilliant people" (though some decide to use their brilliance in nefarious activities, which is wrong!) and all we need is just the right environment, which some foreign climes give those Nigerians.

May be we can start small, for example, if @Abdulwastecx is good in construction, he can partner with @Fastshipping who has the "Dollars" and @Lastpage can be the office Cleaner and Security gateman such that the synergy between a few people can achieve the level of resources which one single investor cannot achieve?

I just hope the stinking-rich in our society will have the gumption to put their money into productive areas that add value into society, instead of laundering it into a foreign account in Switzerland (l hear Nigeria MUST PAY the Swiss about $75Million, to retrieve Abachas $400Million, exclusive of legal fees.... and that is just one man's single loot!) or investing it in foreign economy (I hear that former Senate president David Mark owns the best and biggest Hotel in Ireland, and that is just one man's invested loot).

The level of misplaced priority in this country is mind-boggling and mind-numbing. undecided undecided

Hopefully, we will get there before the second coming of Cheesux. grin grin

Lastpage!

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:55am On Dec 12, 2016
I just saw these dramatic pix of the recent church collapse........if these are true especially the metal contraption; I can't see the column support for the long span or load bearing walls. Is it just me or these don't comply to safe construction principles. Was it an accident waiting to happen from the word go? And the angle (grade) of the beams.......are the beams (span) not too "flat" ? Questions need to be asked and answered.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by greenermodels: 8:15am On Dec 12, 2016
lastpage:

Oga Fastshipping,

It is not that we dont have the "ideas" in Nigeria but we lack the Capacity!
"Capacity" in terms of financial power: The articulated Mixer and the projection crane costs close to a million Dollars each. Only a few people have that kind of money (close to a Billion Naira!) and the few that have it, usually dont invest it in such solid business due to "How they came about the money and ofcourse, lack of business sense". They would rather buy a 'Money-spraying machine" to impress their poor neighbours! grin grin

But one major factor that cuts across the whole economy, that is hindering our development is the "lack-of,..... or epileptic power supply".
No country can make progress, if its electricity is not stable.
All "ideas" would finally 'die or become too expensive to implement', in an environment where Power Supply is like ours in Nigeria.

You need to see how Nigerians progress, when they leave Nigeria's shores, to be convinced that we are "naturally brilliant people" (though some decide to use their brilliance in nefarious activities, which is wrong!) and all we need is just the right environment, which some foreign climes give those Nigerians.

May be we can start small, foe example, if @Abdulwastecx is good in construction, he can partner with @Fastshipping who has the "Dollars" and @Lastpage can be the office Cleaner and Security gateman such that the synergy between a few people can achieve the level of resources which one single investor cannot achieve?

I just hope the stinking-rich in our society will have the gumption to put their money into productive areas that add value into society, instead of laundering it into a foreign account in Switzerland (l hear Nigeria MUST PAY the Swiss about $75Million, to retrieve Abachas $400Million, exclusive of legal fees.... and that is just one man's single loot!) or investing it in foreign economy (I hear that former Senate president David Mark owns the best and biggest Hotel in Ireland, and that is just one man's invested loot).

The level of misplaced priority in this country is mind-boggling and mind-numbing. undecided undecided

Hopefully, we will get there before the second coming of Cheesux. grin grin

Lastpage!
if you can't trust your own blood brother to supervise your ten million naira bungalow without stealing from you,how then can you go into a million dollar partnership with an outsider? what you raised is one of the reasons the Nigerian economy can never industrialize,it's actually more deeper rooted than you make it sound.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:30am On Dec 12, 2016
diordaves:
I just saw these dramatic pix of the recent church collapse........if these are true especially the metal contraption; I can't see the column support for the long span or load bearing walls. Is it just me or these don't comply to safe construction principles. Was it an accident waiting to happen from the word go? And the angle (grade) of the beams.......are the beams (span) not too "flat" ? Questions need to be asked and answered.

There should be a proper investigation into the causes of this collapse and the results made PUBLIC. We all need to learn more from these happenings.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Spy360(m): 9:23am On Dec 12, 2016
Please how much is this stone they call 'ekereke' obtained from Okigwe? Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 9:24am On Dec 12, 2016
greenermodels:
if you can't trust your own blood brother to supervise your ten million naira bungalow without stealing from you,how then can you go into a million dollar partnership with an outsider? what you raised is one of the reasons the Nigerian economy can never industrialize,it's actually more deeper rooted than you make it sound.

I agree with you!
I was just hoping my post can "start a discussion" on it, my post can not claim to have analysed the entire problem. Its really very deep, as you said.

TRUST is a major issue in business ...and not just in Nigeria alone though we seem to take it to another "brazen level".
I actually dont relate with anyone, based on absolute trust....... l just take "precautions"!

But if they can overcome such 'trust-issues' in the foreign countries, using "proper documentation, legally-binding contracts and common sense", we too can minimize such risks to a manageable level

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:25am On Dec 12, 2016
spyder880:

There should be a proper investigation into the causes of this collapse and the results made PUBLIC. We all need to learn more from these happenings.
I heard the contractor is going to be arrested, order from the state governor.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 9:27am On Dec 12, 2016
spyder880:

True talk Bro!
When we hang iron trusses the way l see it in that picture by @diordaves, it has to be based on serious Engineering calculations relating to "Moments and Forces" (Physiscs!) and any faulty calculations may result in the forces tilting in unexpected direction, with unintended consequences.

We are waiting and watching what they would tell us, if there is no cover-up. undecided

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:38am On Dec 12, 2016
greenermodels:
TRUST is a big thing. In the west I do not think they have trust either however what they do have is re assurance,The fact you can get your money back if something goes wrong is waht keeps them going.I always buy my flight tkt with credit cards that way if something goes wrong I get my money back.I don't even need to go to court.If I pay for that crane and the coy goes burst without delivering,I'm covered.
Now in that pic up there, the only thing missing would be the money factor to hire that big crane up there.I don't have a clue to how much it would cost to rent one for the day.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by greenermodels: 10:17am On Dec 12, 2016
lastpage:

I agree with you!
I was just hoping my post can "start a discussion" on it, my post can not claim to have analysed the entire problem. Its really very deep, as you said.

TRUST is a major issue in business ...and not just in Nigeria alone though we seem to take it to another "brazen level".
I actually dont relate with anyone, based on absolute trust....... l just take "precautions"!

But if they can overcome such 'trust-issues' in the foreign countries, using "proper documentation, legally-binding contracts and common sense", we too can minimize such risks to a manageable level

Lastpage!

as far as the justice system is messed up,proper documentation, legally binding contracts and common sense cannot be enforced. the farmer that is owing me 50k for more than ten years and the bank MDs that failed the banks i bought stocks in,are all moving freely because of that.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by greenermodels: 10:27am On Dec 12, 2016
erico2k2:

TRUST is a big thing. In the west I do not think they have trust either however what they do have is re assurance,The fact you can get your money back if something goes wrong is waht keeps them going.I always buy my flight tkt with credit cards that way if something goes wrong I get my money back.I don't even need to go to court.If I pay for that crane and the coy goes burst without delivering,I'm covered.
Now in that pic up there, the only thing missing would be the money factor to hire that big crane up there.I don't have a clue to how much it would cost to rent one for the day.
if you buy that Crane in Nigeria online and they failed to deliver, you won't do squat.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:00am On Dec 12, 2016
lastpage:

True talk Bro!
When we hang iron trusses the way l see it in that picture by @diordaves, it has to be based on serious Engineering calculations relating to "Moments and Forces" (Physiscs!) and any faulty calculations may result in the forces tilting in unexpected direction, with unintended consequences.

We are waiting and watching what they would tell us, if there is no cover-up. undecided

Lastpage!

steel structure design and construction is a serious business because of the intricate nature of connections, moment transfers, and capacity of steel structural members.

structure can even collapsed when all the load acting on the member are properly calculated, allowed for and all the corresponding moment shear force, axial force, twisting moment, deflection and all other factors are considered and properly allowed for.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:10am On Dec 12, 2016
diordaves:

from the pictures i have seen so far, i think the following things may be responsible
1. the section of the truss member may not be adequate for the intended load that the roof will carry
2. the center connection where all the steel truss may not be properly design

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (560) (561) (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: diordaves(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.