Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (665) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4423000 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (662) (663) (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) ... (3673) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 5:19pm On Apr 05, 2017
Mayor78:

Malina is a cheapwood and performs very badly against termites and other wood insects even after wood treatment. I have previously had very bad experience with malina, termites finished my roof woodwork, doors and door frames. I wouldnt say of using its performance on other furnitures but for door, door frames, or roofing especially in termmite or wood ant infested areas, it's no.no no for me. Decision yours though.
Sir which wood did u use & would recommend. thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:54pm On Apr 05, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Of all the business schemes that I envision for my future, a small-scale sawmill that will process (kiln dried, properly aged timber) and turn out arrow straight and properly measured planks is top of the list.

I just need a 60X120 land with easy access for "Agbegilodo".

Omo Oniles, e no go better for una Papa o. One can't buy land and leave it alone in piece angry

+++++++++++++

Imagine if a homeowner/builder can go directly to the farm and buy trees and simply have it delivered to me. In weeks he will have his cut to measurement planks. Savings by cutting out the middlemen and getting quality to boot.

Nice move. Go for it. You will do well.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:22pm On Apr 05, 2017
NL1960:

I normally do all these measurements by myself before i embark on any aspect. It is after all these measurements that i invite people to also go and measure and give a quote. That is how i catch those that 'over measure'.

My reason exactly too... at this stage of our experience we should be cheated less than normal. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:31pm On Apr 05, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Of all the business schemes that I envision for my future, a small-scale sawmill that will process (kiln dried, properly aged timber) and turn out arrow straight and properly measured planks is top of the list.

I just need a 60X120 land with easy access for "Agbegilodo".

Omo Oniles, e no go better for una Papa o. One can't buy land and leave it alone in piece angry

+++++++++++++

Imagine if a homeowner/builder can go directly to the farm and buy trees and simply have it delivered to me. In weeks he will have his cut to measurement planks. Savings by cutting out the middlemen and getting quality to boot.

Please be ready when the so-called "Sawmill Associations" come after you o...

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 6:40pm On Apr 05, 2017
Current Price of Roofing Sheet in Nigeria.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types

See Samples of Roofing Tiles.. See here >> https://www.nairaland.com/3357472/collection-sample-stone-coated-roofing

Check Out Picture Of The Wood Work For The Stone Coated Roofing Tile >> https://www.nairaland.com/1806964/check-out-picture-wood-work
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 6:49pm On Apr 05, 2017
mufutau55:

Hajji M.
They are scared of registered companies most especially limited liability because won ma pe lewon.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 05, 2017
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Why would they come after one of their own staunch members in good standing? wink

I'll just be doing things differently and with efficiency.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:01pm On Apr 05, 2017
mufutau55:

My reason exactly too... at this stage of our experience we should be cheated less than normal. smiley

Hajji M.

I can't believe that you're advocating this.

Only licensed measurers should be doing measurements on site grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 05, 2017
Chekitaut:
They are scared of registered companies most especially limited liability because won ma pe lewon.

Yeah.

Nigeria is not scary to do business anymore. One just have to follow the learned system as well as the traditional ones.

I should be protected by the community because of jobs creation and support industry that will benefit from such a scheme.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:13pm On Apr 05, 2017
erico2k2:

Some of them went to China when market the Dollar was 500 what do you want them ones to do sell at 400 rate? Who is going to bridge the difference ? ?
Bros PC me... Need talk to u. Whatsapp 08055545355
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:27pm On Apr 05, 2017
Chekitaut:
Bros PC me... Need talk to u. Whatsapp 08055545355
cnt find u on wassap guy.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:34pm On Apr 05, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Yeah right! With my kobo-kobo, I would never have finished any of my build o. We are just being educated about things ni o.
"Koju ma ribi....."

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:36pm On Apr 05, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Why would they come after one of their own staunch members in good standing? wink
I'll just be doing things differently and with efficiency.

That bolded reason... don't you know every association in our Naija now has turned to "Cult".

Who is gonna go to them if you are doing it better? smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jiday4(m): 7:51pm On Apr 05, 2017
diordaves:
I lifted below pix from akeembussy thread. The photos explain in part why there's a dearth of straight regular sized wood. Sawmilling in Nigeria is an all comers affair with wrong tools and machinery. The thread says the wood is idi agbon, coconut tree, that it's very good for roofing resistant to termites. How true? Because I know the palm tree of which the coconut tree is a family is home to the edible maggot right?

Sir I think we should read these article to see the how durable and less expensive igi agbon is . thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jiday4(m): 8:17pm On Apr 05, 2017
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:30pm On Apr 05, 2017
mufutau55:

That bolded reason... don't you know every association in our Naija now has turned to "Cult".

Who is gonna go to them if you are doing it better? smiley

Hajji M.

We won't have the same clientele and I can pay into their cult now.

Iya Ramo that wants to build a lean-to shop won't be able to afford my prices so they'll still go to "iso pako".

There'll probably be a waiting list for my services.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:54pm On Apr 05, 2017
EgunMogaji:

We won't have the same clientele and I can pay into their cult now.
Iya Ramo that wants to build a lean-to shop won't be able to afford my prices so they'll still go to "iso pako".
There'll probably be a waiting list for my services.

Then this will work with the bolded in mind. Very good.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by HazzanTazzan(m): 11:07pm On Apr 05, 2017
Away from the tiles... I spent 351k on the ones I bought for now...
Will monitor them all day, everyday and if they need more, I will buy it...

Now to burglary issue which I have been avoiding for long due to the fact that the cost of pipes and iron rod skyrocketed...

I'm thinking of using a design which requires few pipes and more of flatbar designs ...

Cos an inch pipe is now 1450 from 1650 naira and a flatbar length shld be around 500 or 550 naira now.

Kindly post any burglary pic u have with a design using more of flatbars than iron pipes...

Below are the ones I saw on Google but not sure if I will like it on the long run...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:25pm On Apr 05, 2017
HazzanTazzan:

Now to burglary issue which I have been avoiding for long due to the fact that the cost of pipes and iron rod skyrocketed...

I'm thinking of using a design which requires few pipes and more of flatbar designs ...

Cos an inch pipe is now 1450 from 1650 naira and a flatbar length shld be around 500 or 550 naira now.

Kindly post any burglary pic u have with a design using more of flatbars than iron pipes...

Below are the ones I saw on Google but not sure if I will like it on the long run...

I went to the market with my tiler.

I bought what he said he needed after I negotiated myself. Then I delivered it to site.

It's hard for tiles to be stolen, at least on my site.

I didn't negotiate based on number of tiles or square foot, I negotiated based on the quality job.

I show this to show another way of doing things. There's more than one way of skinning a cat.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nio68(m): 12:35am On Apr 06, 2017
HazzanTazzan:

Am in the same shoes , also looking for burglary design, i buy your idea of flat bars design but yet to seen any appealing design , kindly share your designs if you dont mind , would keep searching as well. thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nio68(m): 12:37am On Apr 06, 2017
Gurus in the house please advise on recommended roofing types/materials .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 4:40am On Apr 06, 2017
Chekitaut:

Really?

I no wan hear "Breaking News: A new Sawmill gutted by fire...cause of fire unknown"

What's the Nigerian term for arson?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:22am On Apr 06, 2017
InvertedHammer:

Really?

I no wan hear "Breaking News: A new Sawmill gutted by fire...cause of fire unknown"

What's the Nigerian term for arson?

Not sure what the Nigerian term is but I foresee a more likely headline in The Tribune that reads: "3 Would Be Sawmill Arsonists Mauled By Dobermans" grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:41am On Apr 06, 2017
HazzanTazzan:

Very nice designs.

I'm not really into fruity flowery designs so I'm sort of settled in on this for now.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by austin2all: 8:22am On Apr 06, 2017
Hello builders in the house, i have a little piece of land i want to develop. Size is 80*50*40. My plan is to build a family duplex of 5-6 bedrooms, down and up parlours, 3 balconies up and down respectively. Something very cool and modern. Ive seen several plans but not convinced, hence im asking for a help out. Ill appreciate if plans are included.
thanks my builders
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:27am On Apr 06, 2017
If you are buying tiles and taking the measurement yourself, remember to buy around 5% extra to make provision for breakages. Tiles has been known to break en route to the site, by bumps and pot holes on our wonderful roads, plus wrong carriage, resulting in cracked tiles. Another cause of cracking/braking tiles is the unskilled use of the tiles cutting machine, tilers has been known to damage a lot of precious tiles.

There are times you go back to buy more of same tiles and they would have sold them out, leaving you with incomplete tiles.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mank1234(m): 8:31am On Apr 06, 2017
austin2all:
Hello builders in the house, i have a little piece of land i want to develop. Size is 80*50*40. My plan is to build a family duplex of 5-6 bedrooms, down and up parlours, 3 balconies up and down respectively. Something very cool and modern. Ive seen several plans but not convinced, hence im asking for a help out. Ill appreciate if plans are included.
thanks my builders

Is Your land triangular?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:32am On Apr 06, 2017
austin2all:
thanks my builders

I think you need to invest in an architect's services. He is the right professional to look at your land, take the shape, topography and slope into consideration and then give you a design to match your taste and budget, plus see what the ground can carry. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by austin2all: 8:39am On Apr 06, 2017
mank1234:

Is Your land triangular?
maybe sir
the dimensions are
80*50*40 in ft.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 8:54am On Apr 06, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Iam also a professional measurer as i did a lot of mathematics in primary school, secondary school and university. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 10:29am On Apr 06, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Very nice designs.

I'm not really into fruity flowery designs so I'm sort of settled in on this for now.

The gaps between those bars seem a bit wide. A very skinny child might be able to squeeze through that!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 10:54am On Apr 06, 2017
rabcnesbit:

The gaps between those bars seem a bit wide. A very skinny child might be able to squeeze through that!
/
Which child?

Just say it...a skinny burglar with eyes for 32" flat screen tv and dvd player.

\

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (662) (663) (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) ... (3673) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kdaddy and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.