Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,741 members, 7,827,734 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (666) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4424403 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (663) (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) (669) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Marilo(m): 10:58am On Apr 06, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/
Which child?

Just say it...a skinny burglar with eyes for 32" flat screen tv and dvd player.

\

grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 06, 2017
NL1960:

Iam also a professional measurer as i did a lot of mathematics in primary school, secondary school and university. grin

Yes but are you licensed? This is how you guys get ripped off when you're too cheap to hire professionals grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 06, 2017
rabcnesbit:

The gaps between those bars seem a bit wide. A very skinny child might be able to squeeze through that!

The security bars are just one part of the whole home defense machine. If a burglar touches the bar then I'll have failed.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 12:16pm On Apr 06, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Yes but are you licensed? This is how you guys get ripped off when you're too cheap to hire professionals grin

So just to carry tape and measure length and width of a room now requires a professional measurer so that you will not be ripped off?. Is the professional measurer using a specialized tape. So if i want to measure my waist to know the size of trouser to buy, do i need to call a professional measurer for it too?. grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:24pm On Apr 06, 2017
NL1960:

So just to carry tape and measure length and width of a room now requires a professional measurer so that you will not be ripped off?. Is the professional measurer using a specialized tape. So if i want to measure my waist to know the size of trouser to buy, do i need to call a professional measurer for it too?. grin

This is why pants will start collapsing just anyhow angry

You guys don't appreciate the level of training and education that a tailor goes through. Talk less of the beatings from Oga while apprenticing shocked

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by set2build: 12:45pm On Apr 06, 2017
view current prices of building materials, visit www.set2build.com/market-prices
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:47pm On Apr 06, 2017
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:16pm On Apr 06, 2017
Mayor78:

Malina is a cheapwood and performs very badly against termites and other wood insects even after wood treatment. I have previously had very bad experience with malina, termites finished my roof woodwork, doors and door frames. I wouldnt say of using its performance on other furnitures but for door, door frames, or roofing especially in termmite or wood ant infested areas, it's no.no no for me. Decision yours though.

Termites don't eat Melina wood. They sold something else for you bros or it didn't properly mature before cutting.

Even an Iroko wood will get eaten by termites if it's not old enough.

Melina isn't good when exposed to sunlight. It twists. But a mature one is not food for termites.

In fact even an immature one isn't food for termites.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 1:33pm On Apr 06, 2017
[quote author=KolaShangOne post=55318306]

Termites don't eat Melina wood. They sold something else for you bros. l concur , one of my buildings in lagos was roofed with Malina and it is over 5years now and there is nothing like termites infestation although it was treated with chemicals before it was roofed
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:56pm On Apr 06, 2017
[quote author=AngelicBeing post=55318848][/quote]

Good to hear from you.

If you go to 50 shops belonging to furniture makers, you will find Melina wood in 48 of those 50 shops.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 1:59pm On Apr 06, 2017
KolaShangOne:

Good to hear from you.

If you go to 50 shops belonging to furniture makers, you will find Melina wood in 48 of those 50 shops.
l agree, it is 5years now that one of my building was roofed back in Nigeria with Melina wood and as at when l visited there was nothing like termites infestation, maybe l was lucky l dont really know grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by HazzanTazzan(m): 2:36pm On Apr 06, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Very nice designs.

I'm not really into fruity flowery designs so I'm sort of settled in on this for now.

Are those 1 inch pipes or 3/4 pipes
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:17pm On Apr 06, 2017
HazzanTazzan:

Are those 1 inch pipes or 3/4 pipes

Not sure.

Skimanski has also used similar on a project maybe he'll chime in on size.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 3:33pm On Apr 06, 2017
KolaShangOne:

Termites don't eat Melina wood. They sold something else for you bros or it didn't properly mature before cutting.

Melina isn't good when exposed to sunlight. It twists. But a mature one is not food for termites.

Sir do u still recommend a mature melina for roofing?
Seems to be very common in my place & is mostly used by many carpenters for roofing.
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 5:30pm On Apr 06, 2017
austin2all:
Hello builders in the house, i have a little piece of land i want to develop. Size is 80*50*40. My plan is to build a family duplex of 5-6 bedrooms, down and up parlours, 3 balconies up and down respectively. Something very cool and modern. Ive seen several plans but not convinced, hence im asking for a help out. Ill appreciate if plans are included.
thanks my builders
It's either you plot is a triangle or there is still one side missing. You need to provide more info to enable us help. All the best bro
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mayor78: 12:17am On Apr 07, 2017
KolaShangOne:

Bros! Are you joking me?
Termites shop malina die.
My roofing caracas was done with a combination of woods. As I set to reroof the building, loo & behold! only malina among were the wood severely affected by termites despite treatment.

Were they from a matured malina tree? I may have to take sample to botanist for wood culture experiment to find that out.

Did the roofers did that to check if they are buying a matured malina at onset? I doubt very much is the routine. Indeed most wood sellers in the East would advise you against using malina for roofing if you have problems of termite.

Malina yes may be cheaper, immaculate clean looking, and soft to nail but unsafe for roofing, door framing, and even as ceiling noggings in a termite infested areas as our place. Its a no no no!

It may however be good for household furnitures as they appears clean looking woodwise.

From my experience and others in our area using it for roofing is a waste and at great risk regret of regret in the nearest future.

In our place people use ugolo wood, and ukpi. Please ask the botanist what they are called in English or their botanical name for equivalent in your location.

Carpenters may complain that the Ukpi and ugolo are hardwood and difficult to nail. Tell them you will buy concrete nails and add money to their workmanship.

The contractors may prefer malina because they are cheap and good use for cheap roof estimates. Let them know that you want hardwood and will pay for the difference in price. A stitch in time saves nine.
The cost difference works out cheaper than tearing down your roof after lltwentyess than twenty years.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:49am On Apr 07, 2017
Order Granite from us get
Dangote N2,550/bag
Lafarge N2,450/bag
Iron rod 10mm N200,000/ton
Iron rod 12&16mm N190,000/ton
Iron rod Tiger N260,000/ton
Iron rod Pulkit N260,000/ton
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:12am On Apr 07, 2017
This truck get you N800,000/month take home.
No Charges
No Maintenance
No Driver wages

Think about it
We take responsibility of all required.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 9:23am On Apr 07, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Not sure.

Skimanski has also used similar on a project maybe he'll chime in on size.

They are 1 inch Pipes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:55am On Apr 07, 2017
EgunMogaji:

No no no.

First, he needs a site inspection by a licensed structural engineer who will do some calculations.

Then a licensed architect needs to review the plans based on suggestions set forth therein by the structural engineer.

Then a licensed iron bender with a metallurgist degree from anywhere except that school that Dino attended should create the requisite iron works.

Then a licensed carpenter should select woof of the finest structural grain to make concrete forms.

Then a licensed builder needs to do the aforementioned work as prescribed by the architect

But the concrete mix should be inspected by a state laboratory to ensure strength before pouring.

Above all, all this must be supervised by a professional site inspector that is also licensed.

Anything other than this and the OP is just wasting his money and shouldn't be cheap and he won't get ripped off by quacks. You know we just hate when people share their stories on here when they get taken.

Nigerians and their shortcuts angry

All Licensed. Please kindly ask the fellow of this initial thread if he used a licensed structural engineer, carpenter, plumber, etc,etc......to erect the structure in the first place. As far as I am concerned if that structure is standing firm without any structural defect he can do what he intends doing by looking for a good artisan.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by set2build: 11:09am On Apr 07, 2017
view current prices of building materials today April 7th, 2017. go to www.set2build.com/market-prices.

also follow us on our social media handles:
facebook www.facebook.com/set2build
instagram: @set2build
Twitter: @set2build

www.set2build.com

pls like and share...... thanks people!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:33pm On Apr 07, 2017
bixton:
All Licensed. Please kindly ask the fellow of this initial thread if he used a licensed structural engineer, carpenter, plumber, etc,etc......to erect the structure in the first place. As far as I am concerned if that structure is standing firm without any structural defect he can do what he intends doing by looking for a good artisan.

Be that as it may.

It's never too late to infuse licensed professional onto a site.

Speaking of site and licensed, I hope the gateman is licensed sad
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 3:23pm On Apr 07, 2017
We expect reduction but Manufacturers say no increase.

Cement is calling for N75 MORE

God help us.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by set2build: 4:07pm On Apr 07, 2017
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:22pm On Apr 07, 2017
johnson232:

Sir do u still recommend a mature melina for roofing?
Seems to be very common in my place & is mostly used by many carpenters for roofing.
Thanks.

Yes. But as soon as you're done roofing, you cover immediately. It twists when exposed to sunlight.

I use it majorly for nogging because the ones in d southwest are usually not cut straight and it's expensive here.

There are other hardwood options you can consider for kingpost, tie-beam, rafter etc

Melina and Ire look like so much alike. It's only through smell you can differentiate them. Don't let them sell Ire for you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 6:48pm On Apr 07, 2017
KolaShangOne:

Yes. But as soon as you're done roofing, you cover immediately. It twists when exposed to sunlight.

I use it majorly for nogging because the ones in d southwest are usually not cut straight and it's expensive here.

There are other hardwood options you can consider for kingpost, tie-beam, rafter etc

Melina and Ire look like so much alike. It's only through smell you can differentiate them. Don't let them sell Ire for you.
thanks alot sir...most people in my place even call it mariana...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 9:18pm On Apr 07, 2017
KolaShangOne:

What's wrong with ire,
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 6:16am On Apr 08, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Very nice designs.

I'm not really into fruity flowery designs so I'm sort of settled in on this for now.

I never knew I would see the term "fruity" used for burglar proofs. grin grin grin

Burglars have really created market for the iron industry and welders in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by HolyCraig: 8:19am On Apr 08, 2017
EgunMogaji:

This is why pants will start collapsing just anyhow angry

You guys don't appreciate the level of training and education that a tailor goes through. Talk less of the beatings from Oga while apprenticing shocked

cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:13pm On Apr 08, 2017
Chekitaut:
We expect reduction but Manufacturers say no increase.

Cement is calling for N75 MORE

God help us.
forex keep going up, the £ gained N10 lastnight to make it N475.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 1:51pm On Apr 08, 2017
kolnel:

What's wrong with ire,

There are 2 types. The first type isn't very good for roofing even though some people use it cos it's cheaper. It's what most carpenters buy and call it Ita or Melina.

There's another specie of it grown by Forestry and that's better. But it can't be identified separately except you buy it from Forestry.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 08, 2017
KolaShangOne:

There are 2 types. The first type isn't very good for roofing even though some people use it cos it's cheaper. It's what most carpenters buy and call it Ita or Melina.

There's another specie of it grown by Forestry and that's better. But it can't be identified separately except you buy it from Forestry.

Do they regrow trees?

Please be lengthy in your response Sir.

(1) (2) (3) ... (663) (664) (665) (666) (667) (668) (669) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: fabulous85, PrinceLat(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.