Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (736) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4367665 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (733) (734) (735) (736) (737) (738) (739) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 6:07pm On Jul 18, 2017
GoodFaith:

Agreed with your comment
I have no intent to be rude but go read all his comment
he just didn't want to hear any view different from his view
he was right out disrespectful
upset

A lot of us have our issues.
Lets just let this one pass for the greater good.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:51pm On Jul 18, 2017
temi4fash:

Hello Boss,

From experience, How do you recognize sub-standard cables??

Your summary in house wiring, Does diversity not apply??

I realise some thime when calculating loads and using diversity,it seem to always reduce cable size, What do you have to say about that?

Thanks

Pls referred your question to allcopacetic he deal with cables. He is also Coleman cables distributors. I hope his reading this, he can explain better.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 8:34pm On Jul 18, 2017
44chux:

I give it to you.

But you never mentioned the conduit pipe diameter was a constraint.

Lol, but you weren't seeking an opinion , I simply stated my observation on the uncommon choice of sizes prior to supply.
And since you sounded like you knew exactly what you wanted, its natural to assume all the necessary considerations factored

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ibiboss: 9:59am On Jul 19, 2017
twinskenny:
\

where are you base lagos or?

I am in lagos
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ibiboss: 10:01am On Jul 19, 2017
segzy14:
Sir, if i may ask, what type of building are u doing that consume 2M naira for wiring alone?

It is a six bedroom duplex,.. It is equvalent to 4 flats
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ibiboss: 10:15am On Jul 19, 2017
ibiboss:
Good evening nairalanders, i am back again and i need ideas on how to cut down cost and as well get good thing... I just finished roofing and doing d plastering which means we have done d wiring but honestly wiring alone cost a whole lots of money (over 2m on wire alone from coleman). Now i am running out of cash and d little i have left i need to tile d house. For now i need good and veru affordable tiles (i dont mind nigeria tiles), cheap and good doors for entrances (i dont mind iron doors so far it is strong and beautiful).Good and cheap sanitary wares (any good one aside tyford). Also i need to put light in d house (any idea of where to get it cheap). Also for painting, i need good paint that ia cheap and will not fade. Moreso, if not for my kids that are small, i woudnt have done d railings but i have to do them. Pls if you have idea of where to get all these cheap and i wouldnt mind...
This is d house... Do you think the 2m cables from colaman is too much?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 19, 2017
ibiboss:

It is a six bedroom duplex,.. It is equvalent to 4 flats

I see.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 19, 2017
ibiboss:

What are the quantities of cables quoted for?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 3:48pm On Jul 19, 2017
Please People tell me about Gold star-Wire
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 3:53pm On Jul 19, 2017
allCopacetic:

Lol, but you weren't seeking an opinion , I simply stated my observation on the uncommon choice of sizes prior to supply.
And since you sounded like you knew exactly what you wanted, its natural to assume all the necessary considerations factored

No worries. Just to clarify that the "I told you so" part only applies to the cost and not the constraint.
Cheers.
allCopacetic:

I hate to say I told you so, but...I told u so grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 3:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
money121:

Quotation for Shingles Design (Black with white patches)

Client: Nairalander

Site Location: Ajao Estate Lagos State

Roofing 431sqm*3,000=1,293,000

ridges caps 70m*1600=112,000
valley gutter 18m*1500=27,000
Bash board 10m*1600=16,000
Nails 5pkt(25kg)*7000=35,000
Sealant 4sets *4,000=16,000
Installation 431*200=86,200
Transportation,Loading and offloading=#25,000

Grand Total=1,610,200

Call/WhatsApp 08085310359 For your Next Roofing Project
Na mistake?
?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 4:08pm On Jul 19, 2017
44chux:

Na mistake?
?
What is Mistake?
Four Flats

Roofing cost N1.9 million --
wood ----------------------------N 500,000

nails-----------------------------N 15,000
Roof belt--------------------------N 2000
I have nails left before (two)half bags
Metcoppo tiles----.55-----------N1,184,000
Carpenter-wood--work 12feet-----N 120,000

Metcoppo tile labor------------N 88,000
transport, materials

Other stuff---------------------N 50,000
Total cost N1,950,000
--------------------------------------------------------
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 6:28pm On Jul 19, 2017
44chux:
I used to laugh at EgunMogaji when he didn't import all the stuff he said he would, but given what I know now, his new approach is the best. After this my first and only build, I have decided to go back to buying completed houses provided they were built by reputable companies or their Cooperative societies.

I made a lot of regrettable mistakes like:

Trying to renovate rather than build afresh cause Qs said it was way cheaper.

Demolishing part of the structure cause a reputable NL Builder said structure would fail simply cause 6" blocks were used which limited the size of the columns and that the footings were 2.75x2.75 instead of the minimum standard of 3x3 without factoring that the reason was because the avg span of columns was 2meters and max span about 3m in one or two places.

Using 4mm cable for sockets and 2.5mm for lighting and 35mm amoured for supply resulting in cost of 3.3mil for a 4bed duplex plus now I have to crack walls to add new piping for any amendment as no extra wire can pass through the conduits.

Going by Brabus advice to cast 4feet below ground around entire fence to keep water from a nearby man made pit from getting to the house foundation. It didn't stop the water but filling the pit did.

Using stone dust for block and interlock moulding.

Using Spanish tiles which turned out to be very slippery while the Nigerian look alike was not slippery at all.

Not bonding my lightening arrestor with my house earthing system which costed me millions in damages.

Oversizing of overhead water tanks which meant it took 5days of max water usage to empty tanks and did encourage coliform bacteria growth

Not supervising the work myself and having engineers and supervisors build what suited them. Plus they carelessly broke a large screen tv

Installing my main gate during construction which meant much repairs and modifications during landscaping and interlocking

And the list goes on.
Thanks for sharing this sir. Could you please elaborate on why you regret using stone dust for moulding blocks and interlock. I am also considering doing same, but your post is making me have a rethink. I would appreciate your response sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 6:57pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hello Sir(s) and Ma(s), please i would love to have your opinions about the below 4 bedroom bungalow plan. I would welcome ideas on positive and constructive criticisms (i wouldn't flinch on reading the negatives too), possible areas of modifications, possible estimated cost implications of taking on such a project (considering i am just a kobo-kobo earner and not in a rush to complete), would it be cost effective and durable to consider such roofing styles etc. Thank you all as you share your words of wisdom with a brother inspired by this thread and also aspiring to build a home for his growing family. One Love

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jul 19, 2017
Wagasigiungu:
Hello Sir(s) and Ma(s), please i would love to have your opinions about the below 4 bedroom bungalow plan. I would welcome ideas on positive and constructive criticisms (i wouldn't flinch on reading the negatives too), possible areas of modifications, possible estimated cost implications of taking on such a project (considering i am just a kobo-kobo earner and not in a rush to complete), would it be cost effective and durable to consider such roofing styles etc. Thank you all as you share your words of wisdom with a brother inspired by this thread and also aspiring to build a home for his growing family. One Love

1) Take your time, there's no award for the fastest finisher. Some of those who might criticize you for taking your time do not have a 6" block to their name.

2) I think you should review the layout of your plan, I personally don't like it because it puts the bedrooms too far apart. I want to be down the hallway from my children so that I can mount a response/defense.

3) Go to this site https://www.architecturaldesigns.com and others like it for ideas. You don't have to be exactly like that but it'll give you ideas.

4) Visitors toilet outside the house?

5) Look at the renew collection on this site http://www.deltechomes.com/our-homes/

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 8:29pm On Jul 19, 2017
Wagasigiungu:
Were u d one dat requested for master living area?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 8:33pm On Jul 19, 2017
GoodFaith:

What is Mistake?
Four Flats

Roofing cost N1.9 million --
wood ----------------------------N 500,000

nails-----------------------------N 15,000
Roof belt--------------------------N 2000
I have nails left before (two)half bags
Metcoppo tiles----.55-----------N1,184,000
Carpenter-wood--work 12feet-----N 120,000

Metcoppo tile labor------------N 88,000
transport, materials

Other stuff---------------------N 50,000
Total cost N1,950,000
--------------------------------------------------------

He only asked you about the electrical bill of materials
segzy14:

What are the quantities of cables quoted for?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 9:07pm On Jul 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

1) Take your time, there's no award for the fastest finisher. Some of those who might criticize you for taking your time do not have a 6" block to their name.

2) I think you should review the layout of your plan, I personally don't like it because it puts the bedrooms too far apart. I want to be down the hallway from my children so that I can mount a response/defense.

3) Go to this site https://www.architecturaldesigns.com and others like it for ideas. You don't have to be exactly like that but it'll give you ideas.

4) Visitors toilet outside the house?

5) Look at the renew collection on this site http://www.deltechomes.com/our-homes/

Thanks for your comments and observations sir. You raised very good points.

R1. I definitely plan on taking my time. I am in no rush whatsoever for now except if the unforseen happens. That's the main reason why i want to take my time in seeking advise and recommendations right from the inception.

R2. You are right about the distance from the children's room. I did observe it but i overlooked it because my wifey's room is closer to the kids rooms. Moreover as a man i am more agile and can easily cover the distance of the master living room, dining and family living room separating my room from that of the kids.

R3 & R5. I would definitely visit those sites. Thanks for sharing.

R4. Yes the visitors toilet is located near the entrance porch. In so doing such unrelated visitors who are in transit can just make use of it without having to access the rooms and internal/ensuite toilets. However, where would you rather i situate the visitors toilet? Kindly share your thoughts on this.

Thanks a lot for your input sir,. They are highly appreciated. Jazakallahu khayran. I
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 9:14pm On Jul 19, 2017
johnson232:

Were u d one dat requested for master living area?
Thanks for asking. Yes I did. Some may consider it not necessary but it intend to use it as a multi-purpose living area as it would also serve as my study +/- family praying area. Moreover i was made to realize that the extra cost of having it wouldn't be too prohibitive relative to just having a single family living area. But i am open to read your view on why i should or shouldn't consider having it. Would the additional cost be perhaps very significant? Thank you sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 9:22pm On Jul 19, 2017
44chux:

He only asked you about the electrical bill of materials

Four Flats

Electrical

electrical conduit
Materials--& --Pipe-----------------N135,000.00
Labor-----------------pipe----------N45,000.00
made some change material & labor----N38,000

Wire
Wiring---------materials---& labor--------N375,000
Wire Gold star
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 9:37pm On Jul 19, 2017
Wagasigiungu:

Thanks for asking. Yes I did. Some may consider it not necessary but it intend to use it as a multi-purpose living area as it would also serve as my study +/- family praying area. Moreover i was made to realize that the extra cost of having it wouldn't be too prohibitive relative to just having a single family living area. But i am open to read your view on why i should or shouldn't consider having it. Would the additional cost be perhaps very significant? Thank you sir.
For me u can expand ur master bedroom to accommodate more furniture...but i really do not see need for having a living room as big as this for only masters bedroom. U can have another living room, but it should be for d whole family. Probably when u have guest in the main living room, other members of the family can use d other living room.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 9:50pm On Jul 19, 2017
johnson232:

For me u can expand ur master bedroom to accommodate more furniture...but i really do not see need for having a living room as big as this for only masters bedroom. U can have another living room, but it should be for d whole family. Probably when u have guest in the main living room, other members of the family can use d other living room.

Oh ok. Thanks for sharing your thoughts sir. I understand your position. It's just a matter of nomenclature. That it's called a master living room doesn't necessarily mean only my humble self will have exclusive access to it. Other members of the family can definitely make use of it but not as they would the other family living area. I personally dislike too much furniture in a room which tend to reduce the available functional space. This singular reason informed my decision to have wardrobe area designed to bulge out as shown in the attached plan above. Thank you sir. Gracias for sharing your thoughts.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by johnson232: 9:56pm On Jul 19, 2017
Wagasigiungu:

Oh ok. Thanks for sharing your thoughts sir. I understand your position. It's just a matter of nomenclature. That it's called a master living room doesn't necessarily mean only my humble self will have exclusive access to it. Other members of the family can definitely make use of it but not as they would the other family living area. I personally dislike too much furniture in a room which tend to reduce the available functional space. This singular reason informed my decision to have wardrobe area designed to bulge out as shown in the attached plan above. Thank you sir. Gracias for sharing your thoughts.
Nice one then if it is open to other family members
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:05pm On Jul 19, 2017
Wagasigiungu:
. I guess you have your reasons for putting up this layout in in first instance. Nonetheless If you so choose to still maintain this layout pattern try to re position the following:
Outer/Inner Children's Room to Master Living Room/Master Bedroom.
Create an access door from Madam's room to link the kitchen.
Do something about that guest toilet.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 10:27pm On Jul 19, 2017
johnson232:

bixton:
. I guess you have your reasons for putting up this layout in in first instance. Nonetheless If you so choose to still maintain this layout pattern try to re position the following:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I would seriously consider your recommendations and discuss same with my architect. Please what's your take on the proposed roofing style (i believe it is called Italian roofing style, though i stand to be corrected). I was advised to go for it because it is more cost effective relative to the more popular Chinese roofing style. However i need to enquire more about it's cost effectiveness, durability vis-a-vis tendency to leak, mother merits or demerits as the case may be. Thank you Sir(s).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wagasigiungu(m): 10:32pm On Jul 19, 2017
bixton:

johnson232:

johnson232:

bixton:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I would seriously consider your recommendations and discuss same with my architect. Please what's your take on the proposed roofing style (i believe it is called Italian roofing style, though i stand to be corrected). I was advised to go for it because it is more cost effective relative to the more popular Chinese roofing style. However i need to enquire more about it's cost effectiveness, durability vis-a-vis tendency to leak, mother merits or demerits as the case may be. Thank you Sir(s).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:33pm On Jul 19, 2017
ibiboss:

not much... that house will consume much cable
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:35pm On Jul 19, 2017
GoodFaith:
Please People tell me about Gold star-Wire

guess in the East?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 12:44pm On Jul 20, 2017
Greetings all! I am about to start the instalment of balcony rails and stairs hand rails. The types I have come across so far are stainless steel, aluminium, wrought iron and mild steel. What are the pros and cons of each please? I am guessing stainless steel will be the most expensive! Of the remaining three, which will be better in terms of value for money and durability. Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 20, 2017
rabcnesbit:
Greetings all! I am about to start the instalment of balcony rails and stairs hand rails. The types I have come across so far are stainless steel, aluminium, wrought iron and mild steel. What are the pros and cons of each please? I am guessing stainless steel will be the most expensive! Of the remaining three, which will be better in terms of value for money and durability. Thank you

I've always felt that stainless steel is better in commercial application and looks gaudy in homes because it most always not matched to other accouterments.

My choice for my homes have always been wrought iron.

Good luck on your decision.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 2:23pm On Jul 20, 2017
twinskenny:

guess in the East?
Guess ?
"Please People tell me about Gold star-Wire"
south south
Spoke with a dealer in Lagos, he said it was good

Gold Start cost less than 400K
Younger brother offer Coleman for 700K told him to get the hell out
2 M for what

(1) (2) (3) ... (733) (734) (735) (736) (737) (738) (739) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Baz1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.