Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,707 members, 7,813,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (828) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4378658 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (825) (826) (827) (828) (829) (830) (831) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 1:56am On Dec 20, 2017
Could you give an idea of the workmanship cost for your painting? Total house awarded out? Or you pay per square metre?

Rough idea of the quantity of paint you may require for this MANSION.... that will help upcoming artistes on this thread grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 10:40pm On Dec 20, 2017
Compliment of the season to all our customers, intending client, may this season bring Joy, Blessing to our various homes. Wishing you all a prosperous New year in Advance.

From all of us at
ChEkItAuT Nig & Co.
08055545355, 08032887233, 08025392565, 08098055224.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 2:49am On Dec 21, 2017
spyder880:
Can you all help me with critique this painting combinations, I just arrived to see this combination they chose for this house and I don't like it very much.

On the first picture, the cream on the dining needed another shade in that family to bring it down as these two colours (bright blue and cream) seems to be fighting each other grin

On the second picture, although I appreciate the idea of this my painter to match a particular tile colour with this bright orange on the porch, but the effect I see there is a "shouty" porch that reminded me of GTB instead of a home grin

Although some of my family loves this but I am about to coat this with something cooler. Gbadexy, what do you think, as this is your field.

Oga, could you give an idea of the workmanship cost for your painting? Total house awarded out? Or you pay per square metre?

Rough idea of the quantity of paint you may require for this MANSION.... that will help upcoming artistes on this thread smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:49am On Dec 21, 2017
alstacs:

Oga, could you give an idea of the workmanship cost for your painting? Total house awarded out? Or you pay per square metre?

Rough idea of the quantity of paint you may require for this MANSION.... that will help upcoming artistes on this thread smiley

We are still negotiating the final painting cost, and I want him to touch the inside of the fence with paint remnants this week.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 11:04am On Dec 21, 2017
44chux:

Well technically, air-conditioner with heat pump will still work well enough to cool the room grin grin

Maybe its for R & D

"Technically" grin , I think this was installed in Iceland, where the need is for the External unit to supply heat, into the bedroom!
You know some of our "Engineers" na Winch, in day time! grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 11:12am On Dec 21, 2017
spyder880:

We are still negotiating the final painting cost, and I want him to touch the inside of the fence with paint remnants this week.

Haaaaa, Oga Spyder!
Do you usually negotiate the cost, AFTER the job has been started/completed or[b] BEFORE[/b] they start work?
If it is as you you put it, please sned me this your painter o or teach me "how it is done"! grin grin grin

I guess what @alstac wants to know is what the prelimnary costing is and how it was negotiated, at least you would have a basis for saying "go and start work". undecided undecided

BTW: this your building stand like Rock of Gilbratar and it is so cute! kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:34pm On Dec 21, 2017
Daboomb:

Haaaaa, Oga Spyder!
Do you usually negotiate the cost, AFTER the job has been started/completed or[b] BEFORE[/b] they start work?
If it is as you you put it, please sned me this your painter o or teach me "how it is done"! grin grin grin

I guess what @alstac wants to know is what the prelimnary costing is and how it was negotiated, at least you would have a basis for saying "go and start work". undecided undecided

BTW: this your building stand like Rock of Gilbratar and it is so cute! kiss kiss

My brother, negotiations always continue with workers even when they have started working, especially if some conditions change. I employed this painter to paint this whole house, from;

POP ceiling painting with white emulsion paint
All inner room painting
All outside wall painting with silk paint
Parapet fascia painting
Inside of my fence with texcote
Spray painting one locally made door

All agreed at N130k.

However the time frame agreed for the completion of the works is past, not any of his fault but materials sourcing delays. Plus some other screeding works he did on his own. So he is asking to collect an additional N20k.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:17am On Dec 22, 2017
Abolarin91:
Good day everyone! Its my pleasure to share with you how to prevent intruder or beautify your ...

NO Advertisement here. Open your own thread.
Thank you. Post removed.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodmanFather: 2:01am On Dec 22, 2017
Sprumbabafather:
I was watching the whole drama from the top of a mango tree grin

An innocent person posted a question about how much and material it will take him to do a big fence.

Some suspicious characters threw in figures and and dropped phone numbers for further engagement and possible slam dunking.

Some concerned house members saw a rat and started screaming "everybody hold tight to your wallets o"

They were screaming because some basic questions are not asked and they hurried to drop names and numbers, so it seems fishy.

And the people that dropped numbers started throwing tantrums and calling names.

Jumps down from the mango tree and picks my bicycle, if you wan beat me, come to our house, our mai guard na ex army captain grin

My son, long time. When did the government release you from jail?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:46am On Dec 22, 2017
Seasons greetings to all my friends on Nairaland. Hope 2017 was rewarding for you all both in health and finances and I pray that 2018 ushers in new heights of success for you all. Thank you.

Happy Trails.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hollasmall: 5:54am On Dec 22, 2017
spyder880:

My brother, negotiations always continue with workers even when they have started working, especially if some conditions change. I employed this painter to paint this whole house, from;

All inner room painting
Parapet fascia painting

All agreed at N130k.

However the time frame agreed for the completion of the works is past, not any of his fault but materials sourcing delays. Plus some other screeding works he did on his own. So he is asking to collect an additional N20k.

Am sure the painter is not a nairalander,he for don charge 500k under the disguise of charging per SQM.They are always afraid to post their rediculous price here cause of critiscism they will rather ask you to WhatsApp them privately.
Awon ole

12 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 6:28am On Dec 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Seasons greetings to all my friends on Nairaland. Hope 2017 was rewarding for you all both in health and finances and I pray that 2018 ushers in new heights of success for you all. Thank you.

Happy Trails.

Wellcome ,wish you a rewarding and fruitful year ahead.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 7:47am On Dec 22, 2017
Hollasmall:

Am sure the painter is not a nairalander,he for don charge 500k under the disguise of charging per SQM.They are always afraid to post their rediculous price here cause of critiscism they will rather ask you to WhatsApp them privately.
Awon ole
why calling names for goodness sake, it is not compulsory anybody drops his charges online, neither are you compelled to consent to any charges given to you, it is a matter of choice.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Qc1(m): 7:57am On Dec 22, 2017
Happy holidays to you all, I wish you more success and prosperity in 2018.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:27am On Dec 22, 2017
Hollasmall:

Awon ole

That's rather harsh bro
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:28am On Dec 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Happy Trails.

Same to you baba

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peterphd(m): 9:06am On Dec 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Happy Trails.

Baba, we have missed you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 9:08am On Dec 22, 2017
spyder880:

All inner room painting
Parapet fascia painting

All agreed at N130k.

Respects Sir!
We dey learn from you, that is why l have to "pull your trousers"! grin grin grin
Its not out of place, if you give him a little bit more. undecided
Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 9:25am On Dec 22, 2017
Hollasmall:

Am sure the painter is not a nairalander, he for don charge 500k under the disguise of charging per SQM.They are always afraid to post their rediculous price here cause of critiscism they will rather ask you to WhatsApp them privately.
Awon ole

Chairman easy now, u too vex! See as you do 'finishing' for our contractors!! shocked shocked
Thing is, it is easier to "deal brutally" with a single person who is a Novice, when you 'corner the person on WhatsApp'... than to let other "sharp minds" listen-in on the conversation!

No one can do anything to any Contractor who does the "see me on WhatsApp" trick, the Client is the one who still has to ensure they seek enough "independent and relevant information", before agreeing to anything on WhatsApp.

The thing about this forum is that it has helped all Contractors to gain Clients, some of whom they would not have met anywhere else but it is strange that once established, some now turn around to think the forum is not good enough for pricing discussions.

Source the Geese, Source the Gander, as we say in ijebu language. grin grin grin

Aventures:
why calling names for goodness sake, it is not compulsory anybody drops his charges online, neither are you compelled to consent to any charges given to you, it is a matter of choice.

Aventures, l am sure he did not call your name or anyone's name or when did your name become "Nairalander"?

Though l understand that the "roforofo" scatter reach your side small grin grin , being a contractor!

I would rather advocate "fair pricing" between all concerned so that the Contractor gets good value for his 'sweat' and the Clients too get good value for money spent.

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hollasmall: 10:19am On Dec 22, 2017
Aventures:

Guilty concience!!!

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chiscolin101(m): 10:29am On Dec 22, 2017
Hi
3 plots of dry land at clay bus stop Oregun road behind juli estate with deed of conveyance for #90m asking price
Good for mini estate, school, hotel, church: call 08169830998

6 Plots of land at Alagbole
For #18m only for all.
In a good location
Deed of conveyance
Direct from the owner
Call me: 08169830998
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 22, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Happy Trails.

The ghost of 2017 past.

Good to see you again.

Are you back or just flashing us?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gleez: 7:02am On Dec 23, 2017
Good morning, everyone.

Would like some explanation on the preparation of a construction method statement . How important is this in a construction project?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WorldAmbassador: 7:54am On Dec 23, 2017
Daboomb:

Chairman easy now, u too vex! See as you do 'finishing' for our contractors!! shocked shocked
Thing is, it is easier to "deal brutally" with a single person who is a Novice, when you 'corner the person on WhatsApp'... than to let other "sharp minds" listen-in on the conversation!

No one can do anything to any Contractor who does the "see me on WhatsApp" trick, the Client is the one who still has to ensure they seek enough "independent and relevant information", before agreeing to anything on WhatsApp.

The thing about this forum is that it has helped all Contractors to gain Clients, some of whom they would not have met anywhere else but it is strange that once established, some now turn around to think the forum is not good enough for pricing discussions.

Source the Geese, Source the Gander, as we say in ijebu language. grin grin grin

Aventures, l am sure he did not call your name or anyone's name or when did your name become "Nairalander"?

Though l understand that the "roforofo" scatter reach your side small grin grin , being a contractor!

I would rather advocate "fair pricing" between all concerned so that the Contractor gets good value for his 'sweat' and the Clients too get good value for money spent.

@Daboomb. I like your suggestion of fair pricing between the contractor and client. Pricing should be the same for us local guys and for people who are abroad. I have been burned by contractors(via excessive charges) on nairaland and have also gained a lot of knowledge from contractors and clients on this forum.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:39am On Dec 23, 2017
I'm of the opinion that the issue of posting prices for services is a double edged sword.
Each person would be conscious of the other's price and give ridiculous low price they probably couldn't work with and that may not end well.
The potential client would have the advantage of contacting as many contractor or supplier as there are separately via private message and each wouldn't know the price the other has given, so may likely give the best price they could work with comfortably so as not to lose the job due to high price. But then again, quality of work and materials is also tied to money.
@ oga spyder880, I see your hand. Thank you sir.
Just a quick advice on painting of cement screeded walls, cement generally don't hydrate fully after being applied and they need period moisture afterwards to hydrate it fully and harden it more.
In place of this, the wall should be primed by a very well thinned paint intended to use. preferably matte or satin. If possible, 2 gallons of water should be used to dilute a drum of paint.
This should be applied on the wall very generously to saturate the cement screed, preferably during the morning so that the water doesn't evaporate too fast before the cement is able to utilize it.
The wall may then be painted the following day. This would ensure the cement is further hydrated by the water from the priming and from the painting proper.
The wall could be wet with water before the screeding is done also so that the screeding mixture is able to wet and bond properly to the wall and also prevent sucking in of the water in the screeding mix into the wall thereby starving the cement in it water to hydrate well. It's especially important during this harmattan.
The only thing that makes cement powder turn to hard mass is water because each particle swells like garri and lock against each other tightly grin. so cement needs it's sufficient water to harden well after the initial setting. since some would have evaporated during the application that's why emphasis is laid on water for cement screeding. it's not a complicated screeding method. cement just needs water in sufficient amount.
I wish both the regular members and the guests of this section a fulfilling end of the year and a more prosperous next year.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:56am On Dec 23, 2017
gbadexy:
I'm of the opinion that the issue of posting prices for services is a double edged sword.
Each person would be conscious of the other's price and give ridiculous low price they probably couldn't work with and that may not end well.
The potential client would have the advantage of contacting as many contractor or supplier as there are separately via private message and each wouldn't know the price the other has given, so may likely give the best price they could work with comfortably so as not to lose the job due to high price. But then again, quality of work and materials is also tied to money.
@ oga spyder880, I see your hand. Thank you sir.
Just a quick advice on painting of cement screeded walls, cement generally don't hydrate fully after being applied and they need period moisture afterwards to hydrate it fully and harden it more.
In place of this, the wall should be primed by a very well thinned paint intended to use. preferably matte or satin. If possible, 2 gallons of water should be used to dilute a drum of paint.
This should be applied on the wall very generously to saturate the cement screed, preferably during the morning so that the water doesn't evaporate too fast before the cement is able to utilize it.
The wall may then be painted the following day. This would ensure the cement is further hydrated by the water from the priming and from the painting proper.
The wall could be wet with water before the screeding is done also so that the screeding mixture is able to wet and bond properly to the wall and also prevent sucking in of the water in the screeding mix into the wall thereby starving the cement in it water to hydrate well. It's especially important during this harmattan.
The only thing that makes cement powder turn to hard mass is water because each particle swells like garri and lock against each other tightly grin. so cement needs it's sufficient water to harden well after the initial setting. since some would have evaporated during the application that's why emphasis is laid on water for cement screeding. it's not a complicated screeding method. cement just needs water in sufficient amount.
I wish both the regular members and the guests of this section a fulfilling end of the year and a more prosperous next year.

Thank you Bro, many more cooperation between us in the coming year. You are too good.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 12:56pm On Dec 23, 2017
spyder880:

Thank you Bro, many more cooperation between us in the coming year. You are too good.
I should be the one to thank you sir.
May the coming year meet us in good health and usher in more opportunities.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:56pm On Dec 23, 2017
Please my people, let us not use the cost I was given to paint my house to judge how much painting a duplex may cost. For one, I am not their usual client so most of them will be truthful with me and lower their prices. This particular painter has been working for me since 2007 and we go way back.

He can do this work for much less, because I can keep him busy and introduce him to new clients.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:05am On Dec 24, 2017
Is always the contractors that always getting the bash.. what of client that will ask u to travel all the way from Lagos to owerri.. and will even refuse to acknowledge your quote not to talk of negotiation.. Why should I give you price when I know am not getting the job?.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Memejem: 7:50am On Dec 24, 2017
As for travelling long distances for potential jobs, the client described in your scenario is not nice at all. But also, it’s an important lesson to iron out all deals before travelling such a distance.

As for giving price, what is the need for holding price? How will the potential client ascertain whether or not to use your services if you’re padlocking the price? Your quote/price should not be moving up and down depending on the client but the economy.

I don’t understand why people are so hesitant to name price. If you don’t want to do it on nairaland and would rather discuss with the client privately that is your choice. But that is not how a transparent business does things. Even if it’s not the exact price, an estimate should be available to allow the potential customer see what is available and if it’s affordable or competitive with other similar services.

This is how it’s done all over the world. I don’t know why Nigeria’s case must be different.

Ex. You want to purchase some paint or an accessory or tool. You enter Home Depot’s website. The prices are laid out for you. You can compare between brands. If you like you can now check a similar stores inventory and compare the prices between the two.

I don’t understand the mentality behind this at all. In Nigeria in order to get a quote for a new building project the contractor will charge you. It’s ridiculous. One contractor here told me that abroad customers pay for quotes of work.

I have NEVER paid any contractor to give me a quote. They’ve come to my house, looked at the job that needed to be done and then gave me an estimate/quote of labour (that didn’t fluctuate) and also materials needed. My contractor even followed me to Home Depot to help me purchase the materials and took time to educate me on the differences between products and quality.

If it was Nigeria they will charge you for fuel to get to site, time to go to store and inflate labour prices if you buy your own materials. It’s ridiculous. And most of these contractors that charge you to look at a site are not serious for the job. It’s one thing to say you need transport fare if the contractor doesn’t live within the same area and the client is adamant on working with that specific contractor. BUT if they live in the same area, WHY would I pay?

When you go for an interview, does the potential employer pay for your transport fare regularly?

You don’t pay a lawyer to hear about your concerns in the first meeting before they decide to take your case or you hire them.

I’m tired of this thing to be very honest.

twinskenny:
Is always the contractors that always getting the bash.. what of client that will ask u to travel all the way from Lagos to owerri.. and will even refuse to acknowledge your quote not to talk of negotiation.. Why should I give you price when I know am not getting the job?.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 8:40am On Dec 24, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Happy Trails.
Agba, ẹ kaabo. Ẹ kú ọjọ́ mẹ́ta sah.
Nice to hear from you sir.
How you are doing fine, wish you the same

(1) (2) (3) ... (825) (826) (827) (828) (829) (830) (831) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: RockOfAgesAlumi(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.