Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,833 members, 7,831,701 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (834) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4434957 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (831) (832) (833) (834) (835) (836) (837) ... (3676) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:05am On Dec 31, 2017
diordaves:

With the right tools, you can introduce a DPC (German floor) thereby arresting any eventual damp by as much as 80%.

Look for a concrete bore machine like the photo attached and bore two holes per block with good spacing about 2 inches above the floor. Board the external walls and pour your concrete mix. It is recommended you do this for the whole house, but if money and time are any issue, you may only remedy the external walls. But the result may be limited.

To prevent the risk of collapse, it is recommended you do this section by section. If you can't lay your hands on the recommended tool you may use a light duty hammer with care to avoid collapse.
Still trying to understand this sir
Is there going to be clear spacing between the walls & floor to accommodate the concrete?
Won't this result in collapse?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 9:48am On Dec 31, 2017
Rubbiish:

Still trying to understand this sir
Is there going to be clear spacing between the walls & floor to accommodate the concrete?
Won't this result in collapse?

Yes, there is going to be a clear space between the walls and the floor to accommodate the concrete and of course there is the risk of collapse if done haphazardly. So take your level first and space the bored holes at an interval of about 4 inches. If the length of the wall is very long like maybe the living room, do it section by section; bore one section, pour the concrete wait overnight to dry (cure) and do the next section. Have a look at the attached photo for illustration. So the red line is the floor level.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 12:09pm On Dec 31, 2017
diordaves:

Yes, there is going to be a clear space between the walls and the floor to accommodate the concrete and of course there is the risk of collapse if done haphazardly. So take your level first and space the bored holes at an interval of about 4 inches. If the length of the wall is very long like maybe the living room, do it section by section; bore one section, pour the concrete wait overnight to dry (cure) and do the next section. Have a look at the attached photo for illustration. So the red line is the floor level.
Is the concrete going to be poured in those dot hole like?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 31, 2017
Who is responsible for sanding POP, the painter, the POP guy or another entity entirely?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:44pm On Dec 31, 2017
Rubbiish:

Is the concrete going to be poured in those dot hole like?

LOL. The size of the hole depends on the size of the drill bit used. The holes are not "dot hole". To have a better perspective of the diameter of the hole(s) take a look at the photos attached. The diameter of the holes depending on the job can range from 4 inches to even 10 inches wide. Enough to pour your concrete.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 12:47pm On Dec 31, 2017
diordaves:

LOL. The size of the hole depends on the size of the drill bit used. The holes are not "dot hole". To have a better perspective of the diameter of the hole(s) take a look at the photos attached. The diameter of the holes depending on the job can range from 4 inches to even 10 inches wide. Enough to pour your concrete.
Okay sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:57pm On Dec 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Who is responsible for sanding POP, the painter, the POP guy or another entity entirely?

Thanks.

EgunMogaji don't mind them o. I had the same argument. The POP guy is suppose to give you a clean smooth finish ready for the next segment but chances are just like me, the POP guy will do a rush rush finish and go job and when you question the rough edges or so, he (POP man) will tell you its the work of the painter to prepare his surfaces for painting. Yes, the painter can do this but he may charge extra.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 1:29pm On Dec 31, 2017
@diordave,you are right its work of pop to make the wall surface smooth but painter need to prepare any surface he or she wanted to work on to be more smoother than that of pop guys bcs painters do the wall finishings after there work no more wall finishing on the said surface
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 1:29pm On Dec 31, 2017
diordaves:

EgunMogaji don't mind them o. I had the same argument. The POP guy is suppose to give you a clean smooth finish ready for the next segment but chances are just like me, the POP guy will do a rush rush finish and go job and when you question the rough edges or so, he (POP man) will tell you its the work of the painter to prepare his surfaces for painting. Yes, the painter can do this but he may charge extra.
eventually, the painters do the sanding before painting. That's why they charge different rates for screeded and un screeded walls.
The screeders are supposed to give a smooth finish like you rightly said and even sand paper it as part of finishing touch for a smooth surface. Even if they claim they sand paper it, it may likely be a rushed job and the painter still does it before painting in other to get a good finish.
It should be the job of the screeder though.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 2:05pm On Dec 31, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

Had the same problem some weeks ago. In my case, it was the wall screeding.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:49pm On Dec 31, 2017
END OF THE YEAR FREE TIPS ON BEST WAY
TO CONSTRUCT SUCK AWAY AND SAFETY
TANK THAT CAN LAST 50YRS BEFORE
EVACUATING IT

best way to construct this system for both residential and commercial buildings.

All water from the safety tank will later go to suck away plus water from bath all together which will then be sink down.

Dont be surprised the water from the safety tank foul water.(shit water) will become semi clean as that of bath water when it comes out from that last section of the safety tank without bad odour.

More details coming soon when i have much time to write how this system work.

More so i will send the current one am work on when i resume back to work

See the sketch

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:50pm On Dec 31, 2017
rotecch77:
EVACUATING IT

best way to construct this system for both residential and commercial buildings.

All water from the safety tank will later go to suck away plus water from bath all together which will then be sink down.

Dont be surprised the water from the safety tank foul water.(shit water) will become semi clean as that of bath water when it comes out from that last section of the safety tank without bad odour.

See the sketch

This should be very good and interesting. I think @diordaves did the same on his flats project. It will be good if you can post the construction pictures for more details. Thank you.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 5:36pm On Dec 31, 2017
rotecch77:
EVACUATING IT

See the sketch

Oga Rotecch, can this work in waterlog area? Its a nice idea on a dry land having three compartment for the septic tank. Good work and more grease to your elbow
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:53pm On Dec 31, 2017
rotecch77:
EVACUATING IT

See the sketch

Nice one. Like Hajji said, I did same and showcased it here. I'm so happy it's catching on because if we tell ourselves the truth, na so be the best practice to build a soakaway. Please post your pictures for the sake of public health.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:06pm On Dec 31, 2017
@Topsy long time how work ,nna only you dey chop your money you no dey call me again... back to your question it will work fine in any terran the waste water from the suck away will be channel to public public drainage as normal way we channel water to the drainage since water logged area land cant suck much water during the raining season.... ( there will be no foul odor)

@diordave and hajji i will surely post the pics here.
Infact i dont know you did same before although that is the standard

To say the truth that is the way standard suckways/safety tank should be , check building construction book you will find it there....hafold seeley i beleived it should be there or any other building construction book
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 7:58pm On Dec 31, 2017
rotecch77:
@Topsy long time how work ,nna only you dey chop your money you no dey call me again... back to your question it will work fine in any terran the waste water from the suck away will be channel to public public drainage as normal way we channel water to the drainage since water logged area land cant suck much water during the raining season.... ( there will be no foul odor)

@diordave and hajji i will surely post the pics here.
Infact i dont know you did same before although that is the standard

To say the truth that is the way standard suckways/safety tank should be , check building construction book you will find it there....hafold seeley i beleived it should be there or any other building construction book
@ topsy, has said it all, this can best work at a very dry land where the water table level is far down, not in a terrain where the water level is very high. The water ingress from soak away pit will find its way into your septic tank at the peak of raining season yoi r soak away pit would become a well rather than receiving water from septic tank, it will send water to your septic tank. Alternatively,/in a water logged area (my own opinion) is to have a septic tank with 3 baffle wall (that makes your septic tank to be 3 compartment) the effluent that will come out of the tank after passing thru the 3 compartment would be semi clean and can be channel directly into public drain( This is not acceptable by Government law), it is expected that such water should be treated and disinfected before passing it to public drain or re-use. I hope to post a design of such we did at Lekki by tomorrow

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 8:45pm On Dec 31, 2017
@aventure thanks for more input if i said it will work , it will work by channeling the water to the public drainge which i said ealier, .the only details that is not in my post is that the water needs to be treated.thanks for more explanation (mostly recycling method is well adopted by european )
We expect more info from you people
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 31, 2017
Re septic system.

In septic systems, regardless of the design, they need to be maintained purposefully with a periodic use of biodegrade assistance products.

https://septictankcleaner.net/product/6-months-septic-tank-cleaner/

Specific toilet papers are also to be used. This is similar to the ones used in RV's. They break down when in water. Not sure if the ones sold in Nigeria are that.

https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/the-only-toilet-paper-you-ever-should-buy/

Brabus was also showing some above ground system. Maybe someone can septicate us on that.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:18pm On Dec 31, 2017
JUST Before it get's too busy tonight ... Before networks are jammed ... Before I get soaked with praises ... Before 2017 finally carry its luggage leaves ... Before 2018 arrives with tons of Blessings for you and your family for the next 366 days ... Before anybody else wishes you ...... Let me be the 1st to WISH YOU A HAPPY NEW YEAR & PROSPEROUS 2018!!!!

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 10:57pm On Dec 31, 2017
spyder880:
JUST Before it get's too busy tonight ... Before networks are jammed ... Before I get soaked with praises ... Before 2017 finally carry its luggage leaves ... Before 2018 arrives with tons of Blessings for you and your family for the next 366 days ... Before anybody else wishes you ...... Let me be the 1st to WISH YOU A HAPPY NEW YEAR & PROSPEROUS 2018!!!!
cool

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:28pm On Dec 31, 2017
PHOTO CRITIQUE: CHOICE OF COLOURS

After we have ensured the structural integrity of our build, the next stage is the aesthetic coherence and personal statement. To ensure the aesthetic finish and presentation, the choice of colours matters a lot. The choice of colours in the final interior and exterior painting and the wall and floor tiles and kitchen units can set the property out. A well thought out choice of colour(s) will present the property really well with an air of sophistication even if the property is poorly built. And even if the property is well designed and built, with a poor choice of finishing colours, the property will not present well.

Now have a look of the attached photos and compare and contrast. The photos are for two properties; the living room and the kitchen. I should think the first property presents better with the light colours of the floor tiles and the wall tiles in the kitchen. But with the second property, one will notice that the black tiles and even the black countertop in the kitchen is absorbing all the light making the property less presented. Also notice that both properties are really well designed and built but they veer off in presentation. The first property is light and airy in contrast to the second property. The dark colour is kind off oppressive.

Sometimes ago Spyder880 asked if it made send to paint his living room with two different choice of colours. The truth is it makes good sense to paint your living room with just ONE light and neutral colour. With just one colour, one can colour code and coordinate the soft furnishing. So you can have a red leather sofa and code the red sofa with the curtains and a red dinning table mat for example. But if you have two colours walls and dark tiles, colour coding the soft furnishing is a tougher challenge.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 12:56am On Jan 01, 2018
Happy New Year To You All
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:26am On Jan 01, 2018
topsy23:
Happy New Year To You All

A very happy and prosperous New Year everyone.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 4:06am On Jan 01, 2018
diordaves:

PHOTO CRITIQUE: CHOICE OF COLOURS

After we have ensured the structural integrity of our build, the next stage is the aesthetic coherence and personal statement. To ensure the aesthetic finish and presentation, the choice of colours matters a lot. The choice of colours in the final interior and exterior painting and the wall and floor tiles and kitchen units can set the property out. A well thought out choice of colour(s) will present the property really well with an air of sophistication even if the property is poorly built. And even if the property is well designed and built, with a poor choice of finishing colours, the property will not present well.

Now have a look of the attached photos and compare and contrast. The photos are for two properties; the living room and the kitchen. I should think the first property presents better with the light colours of the floor tiles and the wall tiles in the kitchen. But with the second property, one will notice that the black tiles and even the black countertop in the kitchen is absorbing all the light making the property less presented. Also notice that both properties are really well designed and built but they veer off in presentation. The first property is light and airy in contrast to the second property. The dark colour is kind off oppressive.

Sometimes ago Spyder880 asked if it made send to paint his living room with two different choice of colours. The truth is it makes good sense to paint your living room with just ONE light and neutral colour. With just one colour, one can colour code and coordinate the soft furnishing. So you can have a red leather sofa and code the red sofa with the curtains and a red dinning table mat for example. But if you have two colours walls and dark tiles, colour coding the soft furnishing is a tougher challenge.

Color war. They all look uninspiring to me. Mismatch of interior finishing materials.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 6:43am On Jan 01, 2018
Happy new year to everyone. May it bring divine favors in all our endeavors.
@diordaves, nice one sir! I'm following keenly.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:20am On Jan 01, 2018
Happy New Year everyone
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dayomide70(f): 9:20am On Jan 01, 2018
fash78:
I replied but the email got sent back to me. Email me using funsolaw@gmail.com

Hi, i have been trying to reach you. please check your mail or call me. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 12:33pm On Jan 01, 2018
HAPPY NEW YEAR HOUSE

FOR MENTIONED PEOPLE CHECK D LINK HOPING IT REACH THE DESIRED THREAD THIS TIME...@HAJJI,@RUBBISH @SPYDER880 AND OTHERS

https://www.nairaland.com/do_share?redirect=%2F3916073%2Fcornerstone-contemporary-design%2F8%2363793414&session=4395C1A240B916C89B90E5C0FC96BF71EC9F197AFDEA2B10A12C58B9150999E0&post=63793414
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 1:24pm On Jan 01, 2018
Dear All, Happy new Year, i have attached here the septic tank design i promised, though in PDF i will try and see how to upload it directly

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 1:32pm On Jan 01, 2018
Direct upload
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 1:38pm On Jan 01, 2018
upload
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 01, 2018
Timtol:
HAPPY NEW YEAR HOUSE

FOR MENTIONED PEOPLE CHECK D LINK HOPING IT REACH THE DESIRED THREAD THIS TIME...@HAJJI,@RUBBISH @SPYDER880 AND OTHERS

https://www.nairaland.com/do_share?redirect=%2F3916073%2Fcornerstone-contemporary-design%2F8%2363793414&session=4395C1A240B916C89B90E5C0FC96BF71EC9F197AFDEA2B10A12C58B9150999E0&post=63793414

Please go and learn how to copy and paste link

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (831) (832) (833) (834) (835) (836) (837) ... (3676) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: akeme1, Beframia and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.