Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,176 members, 7,821,984 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (875) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4410544 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) (878) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 7:14am On Feb 18, 2018
FastShipping:

Enough of this mocking oga. It is one thing to be throwing shades and it's another thing if what you're doing is fair or accurate. Let me tell you one thing that the person you're throwing shades at is not a poor man who can't necessarily complete his project. Living in the US and building a big house is not an easy endeavor. That person you're throwing shades at pays bills here running between $5000-$7000 per month. How many people back home living in an expansive duplex located in horrible neighborhood with zero amenities can actually afford to pay 300,000 naira a month in bills?

What ever the whole shades throwing is, is totally not my business o but I must correct these numbers to avoid people from thinking people otherwise.
Bills of $5000-$7000 US dollars a month a in Nigeria that is totally not accurate. After paying all the bills oversea, put money away for retirement and kids education, for where person go see $7000 US dollars to spend in Nigeria every month. Spending $7000 dollars in bills every month in Nigeria, na hotel person dey build for VI? Except the person is a CEO, or own a very successful business or in to sports or a drug pusher. Abeg take it easy with the number throwing sho.. To avoid heart attack o.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 7:27am On Feb 18, 2018
InvertedHammer:
[center][/center]
/
It is nothing about throwing shades.

I know folks that have mansions in Nigeria thst they stay in only about 2 weeks every two years. Someone well adapted in an organized society tend to have only emotional attachment to Nigeria. Some people stopped going frequently after their old parents passed away. I think a member here (Egunmogaji) mentioned that wifey and children do not want to move to Nigeria. Many people face the same dilemma. So why would any sane person in such situation sink funds in Nigeria just to impress God-knows-who?

Building a house in Nigeria for a diasporan living in US should be done with some loose change. It is not about affordability but prioritizing of wants. Personally, Nigeria starts boring the hell out of me after 2 weeks. When I get bored, I start building just for fun.

So person wey wan shade person here get im own mouth. Nigeria as a place no get joy at all in all indices of life. Quote me any day.
/

May be you should try hanging out with me because that might change your mind a little bit and keep you longer than 2 weeks in Nigeria.
For me Naija is my own get away from all the stress oversea. I spend nothing less than 1 month when ever I am in Nigeria and a minimum of 2 trips on a good year.

The best place to invest is Nigeria. I know people that uses money made from rental properties in Nigeria to pay their mortgages in Canada.

As for me o because my family is still young, they spend a minimum of 3 months yearly in Nigeria and if I give them chance they will spend 1 year in Nigeria and 3 months overseas or even move completely to Naija.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:31am On Feb 18, 2018
megacontrol:
how will hollow block create greater sound barrier than solid?

Because of the cavity sir, which isn't in solid
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 7:32am On Feb 18, 2018
ice4u999:

May be you should try hanging out with me because that might change your mind a little bit and keep you longer than 2 weeks in Nigeria.
For me Naija is my own get away from all the stress oversea. I spend nothing less than 1 month when ever I am in Nigeria and a minimum of 2 trips on a good year.

The best place to invest is Nigeria. I know people that uses money made from rental properties in Nigeria to pay their mortgages in Canada.

As for me o because my family is still young, they spend a minimum of 3 months yearly in Nigeria and if I give them chance they will spend 1 year in Nigeria and 3 months overseas or even move completely to Naija.

You are stressed overseas and find succour in Nigeria?

Something does not add up. There will always be exceptions. Perhaps...that's you. It doesn't make much sense to stress to make money and go through stress to enjoy it. I am the only member of my family that goes to Nigeria (sometimes 4x in a year) to keep eyes on things. Everyone's idea of fun is different. I don't enjoy the restrictions that moving about in Nigeria warrants. It is a kill joy.

By the way, Nigeria is not the best place to invest. There are opportunities in Nigeria just like anywhere else. It depends on how much risk any given individual is willing and capable of taking.

\

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 8:34am On Feb 18, 2018
InvertedHammer:

You are stressed overseas and find succour in Nigeria?

Something does not add up. There will always be exceptions. Perhaps...that's you. It doesn't make much sense to stress to make money and go through stress to enjoy it. I am the only member of my family that goes to Nigeria (sometimes 4x in a year) to keep eyes on things. Everyone's idea of fun is different. I don't enjoy the restrictions that moving about in Nigeria warrants. It is a kill joy.

By the way, Nigeria is not the best place to invest. There are opportunities in Nigeria just like anywhere else. It depends on how much risk any given individual is willing and capable of taking.

\
Depending on the type of job you do but for me flying out to naija is my get away. Every now and then my wife and I visit other countries for sight seeing and our goal is to travel round the world but there is just no place like naija (this is totally my own opinion o).
Like the saying goes one man's meat is another man's poison.
For me o, naija till I die. There is money to be made in Nigeria. I have seen it and I know it and I going for it. The opportunity in Nigeria is so massive more than one can imagine. I have been duped before but that only made me stronger and wiser and even created more open doors to meet great people. So naija all the way.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 9:12am On Feb 18, 2018
InvertedHammer:
[center][/center]
/
It is nothing about throwing shades.

I know folks that have mansions in Nigeria thst they stay in only about 2 weeks every two years. Someone well adapted in an organized society tend to have only emotional attachment to Nigeria. Some people stopped going frequently after their old parents passed away. I think a member here (Egunmogaji) mentioned that wifey and children do not want to move to Nigeria. Many people face the same dilemma. So why would any sane person in such situation sink funds in Nigeria just to impress God-knows-who?

Building a house in Nigeria for a diasporan living in US should be done with some loose change. It is not about affordability but prioritizing of wants. Personally, Nigeria starts boring the hell out of me after 2 weeks. When I get bored, I start building just for fun.

So person wey wan shade person here get im own mouth. Nigeria as a place no get joy at all in all indices of life. Quote me any day.
/

I will quote you any day. Na true you talk.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:55am On Feb 18, 2018
FastShipping:

Enough of this mocking oga. It is one thing to be throwing shades and it's another thing if what you're doing is fair or accurate. Let me tell you one thing that the person you're throwing shades at is not a poor man who can't necessarily complete his project. Living in the US and building a big house is not an easy endeavor. That person you're throwing shades at pays bills here running between $5000-$7000 per month. How many people back home living in an expansive duplex located in horrible neighborhood with zero amenities can actually afford to pay 300,000 naira a month in bills?
Make I jump in the middle here, that your $7000 a month na joke. Do you have younger adults in college yet, if not wait till then. You will no say that your $7000 is just 1 semester school fee for one child. That is for just regular college in most cities oh. If for some of those prestigious college my brother na loan and scholarship your income no feet, or less you are working in world Street, or Facebook, Google, Apple senior manager, or one of those Nigeria pen rubbers politicians. Some of those schools are average of $60,000 per year tuition.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:34am On Feb 18, 2018
mufutau55:

You can say that again o... if you say ready to mix cement fine, but self leveling cement? How?

Hajji M.
Haba Hajji, this self leveling cement as be around for over ten years. Anyway is not your field sha, we see new technology introduced every week on site.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 11:52am On Feb 18, 2018
ice4u999:

Depending on the type of job you do but for me flying out to naija is my get away. Every now and then my wife and I visit other countries for sight seeing and our goal is to travel round the world but there is just no place like naija (this is totally my own opinion o).
Like the saying goes one man's meat is another man's poison.
For me o, naija till I die. There is money to be made in Nigeria. I have seen it and I know it and I going for it. The opportunity in Nigeria is so massive more than one can imagine. I have been duped before but that only made me stronger and wiser and even created more open doors to meet great people. So naija all the way.

/
It is sad that you reduced everything about life and living to only naira and kobo. It is not always about money.

/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:04pm On Feb 18, 2018
ice4u999:

What ever the whole shades throwing is, is totally not my business o but I must correct these numbers to avoid people from thinking people otherwise.
Bills of $5000-$7000 US dollars a month a in Nigeria that is totally not accurate. After paying all the bills oversea, put money away for retirement and kids education, for where person go see $7000 US dollars to spend in Nigeria every month. Spending $7000 dollars in bills every month in Nigeria, na hotel person dey build for VI? Except the person is a CEO, or own a very successful business or in to sports or a drug pusher. Abeg take it easy with the number throwing sho.. To avoid heart attack o.

Read it again and slowly. Where did I talk about spending $5000-$7000 on bills in Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:01pm On Feb 18, 2018
kopell:
Haba Hajji, this self leveling cement as be around for over ten years. Anyway is not your field sha, we see new technology introduced every week on site.

It's very good to know o. My brother, I have never seen it ni o.
We learn e everyday o.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 2:04pm On Feb 18, 2018
mufutau55:

It's very good to know o. My brother, I have never seen it ni o.
We learn e everyday o.

Hajji M.

It's been around for more than ten years.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 2:38pm On Feb 18, 2018
It’s the other way round.

The cavity present is exactly the reason why sound will resonate more in a hollow space while the solid block on the other hand will attenuate the sound greatly thereby reducing the amplitude of sound signals that passes through to the other side or bounces back towards the direction of source.

Rubbiish:

Because of the cavity sir, which isn't in solid
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:50pm On Feb 18, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by maxnedu11(m): 3:00pm On Feb 18, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Nice question sir

1. There is no relationship between the quantity of reinforcement used in a cantilever and the that used on the adjoining slab (the decking). What we have is the percentage lapping length of the cantilever slab reinforcement ( mostly top bar extended into the adjoining slab). this lap length are taking to be 1.5L ( where L is the width of the cantilever).

There is no ideal length of a cantilever because in structural engineering you only provide a solution to the problem posed by the architect. The architect will make the design based on the need of the client, for example, some cantilever is to serve aesthetics function like long balconies while some serve functionality purpose, like extension out to add extra space to the living area. experience has shown that for a continuous slab construction with an overhanging slab (cantilever slab), optimal design moment is achieved at 0.2L ( where L is the length of the slab adjoining the cantilever. so, for a slab of 6m, the width of the cantilever adjoining it will be 0.2 x 6000 = 1200mm ( 1.2m)
nice write up
it's funny that most architect feel every drawing drafted by them is realistic, during presentation they look lovely and appears to be every one dream home, upon review by the structural engineering team you will be shocked at the threat they( building) pose to live, that's when the fight between adjustment and cancellation begins..thanks once more, most people don't understand what torsion can do to cantilevered structure when not properly design some people ignorantly use curved beams too.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 3:07pm On Feb 18, 2018
megacontrol:
It’s the other way round.

The cavity present is exactly the reason why sound will resonate more in a hollow space while the solid block on the other hand will attenuate the sound greatly thereby reducing the amplitude of sound signals that passes through to the other side or bounces back towards the direction of source.

But from my understanding of conductivity, i don't think so sir.
A solid will transfer heat, sound etc more than a hollow section, same way monolothic form are better conductors than detached.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:09pm On Feb 18, 2018
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 3:11pm On Feb 18, 2018
FastShipping:

It's been around for more than ten years.
Sir if i mix this cement with sand & granite, will it level itself?
Or it isn't to be use with other aggregates to achieve the self leveling?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 3:17pm On Feb 18, 2018
maxnedu11:

nice write up
it's funny that most architect feel every drawing drafted by them is realistic, during presentation they look lovely and appears to be every one dream home, upon review by the structural engineering team you will be shocked at the threat they( building) pose to live, that's when the fight between adjustment and cancellation begins..thanks once more, most people don't understand what torsion can do to cantilevered structure when not properly design some people ignorantly use curved beams too.
E be like say architectural drawings don show this man pepper... cheesy

But it is a two way thing, u can't entirely put the blame on architects, as we also have lazy structural engineers evading simple task, probably because of their poor knowledge of structures & calculation....I have experienced this, what engr A said it wasn't going to be possible, was made possible by engr B. So are u gonna blame the architect for that?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:37pm On Feb 18, 2018
Rubbiish:

Sir if i mix this cement with sand & granite, will it level itself?
Or it isn't to be use with other aggregates to achieve the self leveling?

You don't mix it with other materials.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 3:40pm On Feb 18, 2018
FastShipping:

You don't mix it with other materials.
Okay thanks
Guess it is solely for application of tiles?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:42pm On Feb 18, 2018
Rubbiish:

Okay thanks

No. Some people use it to do flooring and leave it like that.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by maxnedu11(m): 6:03pm On Feb 18, 2018
Rubbiish:

E be like say architectural drawings don show this man pepper... cheesy

But it is a two way thing, u can't entirely put the blame on architects, as we also have lazy structural engineers evading simple task, probably because of their poor knowledge of structures & calculation....I have experienced this, what engr A said it wasn't going to be possible, was made possible by engr B. So are u gonna blame the architect for that?
in building Architects are to be respected I love the fact that they can think and come up with great aesthetic ideas, space management and so many lovely concept but I think there should be limits, proper orientation should be established within the entire bodies involved in the construction process, no man is an island be ready to interact with others and do some research if need be.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 6:54pm On Feb 18, 2018
Folks, please I will like to know if one is molding blocks instead of buying, do I also pay for the tools to be used by the workers despite that I will pay for workmanship?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:15pm On Feb 18, 2018
folmus:
Folks, please I will like to know if one is molding blocks instead of buying, do I also pay for the tools to be used by the workers despite that I will pay for workmanship?
Lol
So if u contract someone to clear your farm, u will also be the one to pay for the cutlass... cheesy

Which kind moulder be that?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 8:27pm On Feb 18, 2018
Rubbiish:

Lol
So if u contract someone to clear your farm, u will also be the one to pay for the cutlass... cheesy

Which kind moulder be that?

I wonder o. I was surprised to hear that from two separate moulders.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chidexy(m): 8:39pm On Feb 18, 2018
Rubbiish:

Okay thanks

No sir. You mix it with water according to directions given by the manufacturer and apply. It levels off every uneven surface giving you a perfectly level floor. When later, for example, doors are mounted, you won't see any slight opening or parts where the door "dey scratch floor."
Sometimes it can be horrifying seeing the way we affix tiles in Nigeria. Very clumsy and unappealing. Leveling the floor first would improve the looks of the tiles
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:40pm On Feb 18, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:44pm On Feb 18, 2018
chidexy:

No sir. You mix it with water according to directions given by the manufacturer and apply. It levels off every uneven surface giving you a perfectly level floor. When later, for example, doors are mounted, you won't see any slight opening or parts where the door "dey scratch floor."
Sometimes it can be horrifying seeing the way we affix tiles in Nigeria. Very clumsy and unappealing. Leveling the floor first would improve the looks of the tiles
Thanks for d info sir
Regardless of the leveling cement, just try to get a good tiler, because some tilers are fond of doing shoddy jobs.
The grout will be so wide that it can accommodate a pregnant woman.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 18, 2018
-
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 9:59pm On Feb 18, 2018
Again you have it all mixed up.
Heat transfer and sound transfer are two different things. To even think of sound in terms of conductivity is wrong. you should reference sound as acoustics, sonic, ultrasound waves etc.

Back to the point: a hollow block cannot give you a better sound barrier than a solid block,given both are same size and material.

Tap a hollow block and you can hear back some resonance because of low attenuation. tap a block with the middle section completely filled up solid and you will get less sound feedback (or passed thru) due to high attenuation (i.e. most of the sound absorbed by the solid barrier)

Rubbiish:

But from my understanding of conductivity, i don't think so sir.
A solid will transfer heat, sound etc more than a hollow section, same way monolothic form are better conductors than detached.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 10:06pm On Feb 18, 2018
megacontrol:
Again you have it all mixed up.
Heat transfer and sound transfer are two different things. To even think of sound in terms of conductivity is wrong. you should reference sound as acoustics, sonic, ultrasound waves etc.

Back to the point: a hollow block cannot give you a better sound barrier than a solid block,given both are same size and material.

Tap a hollow block and you can hear back some resonance because of low attenuation. tap a block with the middle section completely filled up solid and you will get less sound feedback (or passed thru) due to high attenuation (i.e. most of the sound absorbed by the solid barrier)

Seems i m beginning to get your point sir
Sound in an empty room tend to be higher than a filled room.

(1) (2) (3) ... (872) (873) (874) (875) (876) (877) (878) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.