Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,103 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (981) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4389785 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (978) (979) (980) (981) (982) (983) (984) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:50pm On Jun 05, 2018
mrsteel:

Building setback for overhead wires is determined by the KV.
Setback for 132KV wire lines is 15 meters, while a 22.5-meter setback is recommended for 330KV power line.
Thanks alot sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ogoplus: 9:11pm On Jun 05, 2018
Good people.
Please what can go wrong if I suspend
my roofing project after the woods have been put in place.

The wood work has been completed but I don't have the funds to buy roofing sheets till July salary is paid.
This means exposing the wood work to elements of weather for roughly 60 days.

I am not entitled to salary advance and I don't want to borrow for the roofing.

Please advise.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by baaliyah(m): 10:28pm On Jun 05, 2018
ogoplus:
Good people.

The wood work has been completed but I don't have the funds to buy roofing sheets till July salary is paid.

Please advise.

If you have a place to borrow, go ahead and complete your roofing and have rest of mind for roughly 60 days.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shelliz: 10:42pm On Jun 05, 2018
Good day all. Please i need help! I have been a silent reader here. Oga mufutau55 and all the experts in roofing nogging.
I intend roofing a block of 2 flats (4 bedrooms at the front and bedrooms at the back flat) and the carpenter gave me an estimate for the roofing wood nogging and the ceiling nogging for a king size of 20ft. (Location Benin city).

3by4 = 35 pièces (unit price, #1900)
2by4 = 270 pièces (unit price, #970)
2by3 = 60 pièces (unit price, #850)
2by2 = 560 pièces ( unit price, #600)
1 bag of nail 3inches (#8000)
1 bag of 4 inches ( #8000)
Transportation #30,000
Labour for the wood work including ceiling nogging #190,000

Total amount =#951,400.

I am not a rich person, just managing to build a home and i think only wood and ceiling nogging for almost 1 million naira is excessive. What are your thoughts please? God bless you sir as you reply.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by justy15: 10:53pm On Jun 05, 2018
Need a landed property in Abakaliki, contact me on 07086770689. Abakaliki is one of the fastest growing states in the south East because of the governors infrastructural development in the state.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 12:22am On Jun 06, 2018
ThatHistoryGuy:

Fellow Nairalanders here is a clear explanations of what really happened .

Earlier last week MrJohnson came to my place and bough some goods worth about 3.6m.During the process of attending to him there are some tiles of 60x60 sizes which he needed in 3different colours.
These tiles are packed 1.44 in each carton so calculating them they should be 111 cartons on 160m². However he latter changed his mind about one of them and picked another one which is packed 1.49 a little over 60x60 in size.
This one packed 1.49 in a carton he later picked 80m² and the rest 2 he picked 40m² each so that one packed 1.49m² in a carton affected the total cartons supplied to be 109.3cartons instead of 111 cartons.
Anybody who has been dealing on tiles should understand this,that tiles has different packing points and these packing points affects the total number of cartons you get in m².

So there is no way I would have removed 1.1carton of tiles after a patronage of close to 4m.
Pls sir tell your tiler to check that supply and if after he does you still feel cheated I will just give you the 1carton plus.

Here
80m²÷1.49(the carton packing)=53cartons plus 2pices
40÷1.44=27cartons plus 3pices
40÷1.44=27cartons plus 3pices
Thanks all.
The maths is pretty straight forward.

Is the cost calculated per carton or per msq ?

If cost was calculated per m2 and the total number of supplied tiles match the given area 160m2 , i don't see where the confusion is.

Small advice bros, stop flouting the No advert rule. It leaves a bad taste.

I don't think you were ripped off @MrJohnson1987

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ThatHistoryGuy(m): 1:54am On Jun 06, 2018
allCopacetic:

If cost was calculated per m2 and the total number of supplied tiles match the given area 160m2 , i don't see where the confusion is.

Thanks man
I don't really blame Mr Johnson much probably this is his first time of dealing on tiles
He paid per square mitre and got supplied per square mitre . For me I just want the issue to die to avoid denting my reputation here.

On the no advert rule,have stopped that since.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:17am On Jun 06, 2018
ogoplus:
Good people.

Please advise.

Nothing will go wrong.

I always tell clients not to exceed 90 days and not that I encourage it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:25am On Jun 06, 2018
shelliz:
Good day all. Please i need help! I have been a silent reader here. Oga mufutau55 and all the experts in roofing nogging.
I intend roofing a block of 2 flats (4 bedrooms at the front and bedrooms at the back flat) and the carpenter gave me an estimate for the roofing wood nogging and the ceiling nogging for a king size of 20ft. (Location Benin city).

Transportation #30,000

Total amount =#951,400.

I am not a rich person, just managing to build a home and i think only wood and ceiling nogging for almost 1 million naira is excessive. What are your thoughts please? God bless you sir as you reply.

These unit prices are they for over length or the regular 12ft and what type of wood?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:43am On Jun 06, 2018
Hello house I am torn between installing Solar or buying a new generator that can power 8 bedroom country home duplex. I am wondering which would be best in long run considerimg epileptic power supply in rural areas and also the fact that having a generator with that kind of capacity and probably just using it for 3months a year...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by honey001(m): 7:04am On Jun 06, 2018
Please, want more expert advice.
Want to ask if there is no much problem if for any reason foundation of a house not not be dug in some part due to traces of hard sedimetary rock just beneath the surface of the soil. Though the Architect said the builder should just make sure that the blinding be rich in cement , the builder also say that's how the land in that area is and that's how they have been building..... As a Novice in Building, I thought Foundation should be deep enough, but now they can dig some part at all.

Any implications of that?

The house in question is just a small two bedroom flat.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrJohnson1987: 7:44am On Jun 06, 2018
allCopacetic:

Alright
Thanks so much
I think am beginning to understand his maths. However,have told my tiler to look into it and if I eventually happen to be wrong I will tender my due and sincere appologies.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GokeAkindele(m): 9:17am On Jun 06, 2018
To Discuss Anything and Everything that doesn't fit into an individual thread.
Let's discuss everything pertaining to Building Constructions, Real estate and some more.

Construction not like any other profession is a science and therefore its approach and method should be treated as science. Starting from the conception by the client to handover/delivery, scientific approach much be applied. Building and other infrastructures don't just stand, abstract works must have been in place before erection. This abstract works include proper documentation of the properties and survey. It is after this that conceptual design (bringing the client ideas into reality) can be made. Detailed designs are made after the conceptual design stage. Detailed design involves production of Architectural drawings, Structural drawings, Electrical and Mechanical drawings (in rare occasion) and work programme/schedule. This is the starting point to get erection of building/infrastructure right.
In this first stage, professional (someone who has been trained to observe standard and with necessary certification) must be engaged in the design, analysis and production of detailed drawings. This is what is lacking in most projects/jobs. It was Aristotle that said " Give leadership to the philosopher king that is let those who know be at the vanguard". If the design and drawings are right 30% of the building/infrastructure collapse can be averted. There is need to engage people that know. Other stages in building construction will be posted on this platform. Meanwhile, for the design of building, construction and supervision you can contact +2348023382433.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 9:39am On Jun 06, 2018
aonag:
Hello house I am torn between installing Solar or buying a new generator that can power 8 bedroom country home duplex. I am wondering which would be best in long run considerimg epileptic power supply in rural areas and also the fact that having a generator with that kind of capacity and probably just using it for 3months a year...
lLike howm Kw/H are you contemplating in using, basically in this day and age there should be no doubts to using renewable energy. my pros,
a) No Noise
b) One time buy (i.e you only buy it once and if it is a quality buy 25yrs warranty )
c) No servicing except probably cleaning the panels
D) No pollution
E) if your roof is facing the optimal location Space is also saved
and if it is offgrid with enough batteries you are good to go and if you are not around the intelligent MPPT controls eeverything for you
The cons
High Purchase price.
The difference lies in the hand buying a Generator of that high capacity is a no no for me
alone the noise ,pollution and because it is a moving machine it will require regurlar servicings
and the worst of it buying diesel to fuel it. If one now calculate how much you spend on fueling and servicing why not then do d needful and go for Solar
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 06, 2018
desiji:
lLike howm Kw/H are you contemplating in using, basically in this day and age there should be no doubts to using renewable energy. my pros,
a) No Noise
b) One time buy (i.e you only buy it once and if it is a quality buy 25yrs warranty )
D) No pollution
and if it is offgrid with enough batteries you are good to go and if you are not around the intelligent MPPT controls eeverything for you
The cons
High Purchase price.
The difference lies in the hand buying a Generator of that high capacity is a no no for me
alone the noise ,pollution and because it is a moving machine it will require regurlar servicings
and the worst of it buying diesel to fuel it. If one now calculate how much you spend on fueling and servicing why not then do d needful and go for Solar

thats the problem if it was a house i live in 247 i wony blink twice for solar. in a yr i may stay 3months in this country home.. should solar be lying waste there?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 11:22am On Jun 06, 2018
desiji:
a) No Noise
D) No pollution
The cons
High Purchase price.

In a house he may likely stay 3 months out of 12. What's the depletion rate of the batteries during the 9 months duration of non usage?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:36pm On Jun 06, 2018
ogoplus:
Good people.

Please advise.

Its very easy, if you 100% sure of payment day, discuss with whoever you intend using, likwise any other that can accept your payment day. exposing for 2months is much in this present season. Making correction you will spend more.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:51pm On Jun 06, 2018
shelliz:

Transportation #30,000

Total amount =#951,400.

Just get price of 2x6 wood, most times both 2x6 & 3x4 are same price. a cut is N30-50 to what you want. i think this help you out.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by desiji: 1:03pm On Jun 06, 2018
bixton:

In a house he may likely stay 3 months out of 12. What's the depletion rate of the batteries during the 9 months duration of non usage?
Okay we are still thinking & still using our Nigerian metality, my Mercedes should and must be bigger than yours, must he buy one with a complete coverage of everything or only the necessary things. We have solar as big and as small as one wants and to Batteries he just needs to get the right ones (i.e LIFEPO4) , Tesla PowerWall, infact batteries are getting better and longer life span as before. Where i stay you have houses used only as Sommer residence and only powered with Solar if Alhaji permits i might post pictures.
It is a pity the Govt, is not Subsidizing this Energy source where i live you tell the Govt you are interested in Solar come and see how much Subsidies and incentives they start to give.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 1:05pm On Jun 06, 2018
shelliz:

Transportation #30,000

Total amount =#951,400.

Do 16ft height
The total cost should be less than N600,000 with labor
Labor for roofing is most 100k
contact me I will give you a roofer
totoplayer@gmail.com

two Flat 16 ft giving to me
3by4 = 20 pièces (unit price, #1900)-2000
2by4 = 150 pièces (unit price, #970)-950
2by3 = 160 pièces (unit price, #850) 850
2by2 = 180 pièces ( unit price, #600)--500
1 bag of 4 inches ( #8000)--7500
Transportation #15,000
Labour for the wood work including ceiling nogging #90,000
This is from my roofer but I know I can beat the above prices

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Iruosonobrugwhe: 1:20pm On Jun 06, 2018
yes i do.

bixton:

Well I don't know his engineering justification towards the use of 3" as it relates to high foundation, proper sand filling and compaction.

Do you have a step down at the sections he intends doing the 5" ?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 3:19pm On Jun 06, 2018
If I am not mistaken length of wood in Benin is 18ft long as opposed to lagos where it is assumed to be 10 to 12ft long. As regards pricing why not go to the market or send someone to price for you.

Quantity wise it appears off to me but then what kind of roofing sheet covering are you looking at. If its normal aluminium then.

3by4 and 2by4 combination is too much and
2by2 is diabolical
2by3 on the other hand is too little.

Provided you can monitor its use I would suggest
3by4 and 2by4 about 220 pieces
2by3 about 130 pieces
2by2 about 200 pieces

So you want 20ft king post(rich person roofing) and you dey complain as suggested look 16ft king post and adding 30 percent to my original quantities with the exception of 2by2.

shelliz:

Transportation #30,000

Total amount =#951,400.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:29pm On Jun 06, 2018
Chekitaut:
Its very easy, if you 100% sure of payment day, discuss with whoever you intend using, likwise any other that can accept your payment day. exposing for 2months is much in this present season. Making correction you will spend more.

What kind of mistakes will occur that will require any form of correction given the season we are in?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:33pm On Jun 06, 2018
desiji:
Okay we are still thinking & still using our Nigerian metality, my Mercedes should and must be bigger than yours, must he buy one with a complete coverage of everything or only the necessary things. We have solar as big and as small as one wants and to Batteries he just needs to get the right ones (i.e LIFEPO4) , Tesla PowerWall, infact batteries are getting better and longer life span as before. Where i stay you have houses used only as Sommer residence and only powered with Solar if Alhaji permits i might post pictures.
It is a pity the Govt, is not Subsidizing this Energy source where i live you tell the Govt you are interested in Solar come and see how much Subsidies and incentives they start to give.

You really did not answer any question.
Probably I did not ask one in the first instance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 3:46pm On Jun 06, 2018
gabbytabby:
If I am not mistaken length of wood in Benin is 18ft long as opposed to lagos where it is assumed to be 10 to 12ft long. As regards pricing why not go to the market or send someone to price for you.

Quantity wise it appears off to me but then what kind of roofing sheet covering are you looking at. If its normal aluminium then.

3by4 and 2by4 combination is too much and
2by2 is diabolical
2by3 on the other hand is too little.

Provided you can monitor its use I would suggest
3by4 and 2by4 about 220 pieces
2by3 about 130 pieces
2by2 about 200 pieces

So you want 20ft king post(rich person roofing) and you dey complain as suggested look 16ft king post and adding 30 percent to my original quantities with the exception of 2by2.

So you want 20ft king post(rich person roofing) and you dey complain-- Nigeria mouth

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 3:58pm On Jun 06, 2018
Na so them wan chop obokun but hold panla money for hand just using him analogy back to am. There is always cost to every decision

By the way give me your carpenter number. I want him to quote for me labour only if he works in lagos.

GoodFaith:

So you want 20ft king post(rich person roofing) and you dey complain-- Nigeria mouth

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 4:02pm On Jun 06, 2018
gabbytabby:
Na so them wan chop obokun but hold panla money for hand just using him analogy back to am. There is always cost to every decision

By the way give me your carpenter number. I want him to quote for me labour only if he works in lagos.

give me ur whatspp number
he will tell u 190,000 but i know that they need less than 12 carpenter to complete the job
so if carpenter get 5K daily 60k for labor or less
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:21pm On Jun 06, 2018
Carpenter gets 3.5k perday plus 500 for food and transport to site or both ways. I am currently not happy with what I am being quoted. I always do ceiling at the same time.

GoodFaith:

give me ur whatspp number
he will tell u 190,000 but i know that they need less than 12 carpenter to complete the job
so if carpenter get 5K daily 60k for labor or less
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by freshvine(f): 4:25pm On Jun 06, 2018
where can i buy genuine animal skin/hide (leather) for sofa making?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 4:42pm On Jun 06, 2018
Technically he could slot a window by the kitchen verander end and store already mentioned.

Think of where your generator will be located is there a seperate generator house ?
Where is your guest toilet
Nettuno:

This has been my concern with the Architect. He said the living room has four windows in the front to enhance ventilation. I have noted the need for a store.

Thanks a million.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 6:59pm On Jun 06, 2018
shelliz:

Transportation #30,000
But i used to think the king post, tie beam & rafters are usually 2by6? Can anyone clarify this....because i am not seeing that size of wood in your quote...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Fishlink(m): 7:57pm On Jun 06, 2018
Goodday expert in the House, I’m a silent observer of this thread! Please I would like the help of the gurus in the house! With the economic situation in Nigeria right now, how much roughly would make a standard mini flat from foundation to finishing point in Lagos precisely. Thank you all

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (978) (979) (980) (981) (982) (983) (984) ... (3667) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.