Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (983) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391265 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (980) (981) (982) (983) (984) (985) (986) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 4:05pm On Jun 10, 2018
Rubbiish:

Are u very sure of this sir?
Is this recommendation from a carpenter or engineer or architect?
2 x 4inches that is 50mm x 100mm for rafters & kingpost? I doubt...
I can only use this size of wood for structs.
I will only use 2 x 3 for purlins & nothing else.

There are standard of wood sizes to use for different roof members according to my architect friend. Just that often times carpenters tend to use what is available & to cut cost in order to make gains.

I am talking from the perspective of what l have seen used...and was used for me severally and still standing.

But then, dont forget that Benin or Akure 2" x 4" could end but being the same size as Lagos 4" x 6" shocked shocked

I have seen Lagos 2" x 3" and they look like 1.2" x 2".
And the Lagos 9" x 18" Block is actually something like a standard 7" x 15" grin grin grin

Use what you know will do the job safely.
Nna, I dey fear Lagos fheefle.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 4:10pm On Jun 10, 2018
shams040:

Bros the slope roof bears wind than any other roof as it even more advisable for high rise building. If you check most of the town houses they use this more because of the height of the building.

Sir, I am not sure l conveyed what l mean by "bear wind", properly.

I am saying that the tendency for wind to go under if from the high-side and pull it off, is higher, compared to the send down the rain type of roof (Hip), for example....... under similar tie-down conditions (ofcourse, if you tie it down properly, the wind cannot blow it off).

This only happens 'if and when' the direction of the wind, is from the HIGH Side

It is a simple 'Wind Mechanics Principle' used in developing Aeroplane Wings and lift-off.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 4:12pm On Jun 10, 2018
Daboomb:

I am talking from the perspective of what l have seen used...and was used for me severally and still standing.

But then, dont forget that Benin or Akure 2" x 4" could end but being the same size as Lagos 4" x 6" shocked shocked

I have seen Lagos 2" x 3" and they look like 1.2" x 2".
And the Lagos 9" x 18" Block is actually something like a standard 7" x 15" grin grin grin

Use what you know will do the job safely.
Nna, I dey fear Lagos fheefle.
Lol...Anything is possible in lagos

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 4:18pm On Jun 10, 2018
Rubbiish:

Hmmm....i hope u are not crushing on dabomb...lol
I am an Angel, we don't crush on humans, we are appointed by the celestial forces to guide humanity to the right path, we also defend, protect and bless humanity, lastly, we have koboko laden with chilly pepper to flog fraudsters, thieves and those who disobey the commandments and laws of the universe, we are billions of Angels scattered all over the universe to do the bidding of the celestial realm and to enforce equity, justice and mercy in the terrestrial realm cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 4:26pm On Jun 10, 2018
AngelicBeing:
I am an Angel, we don't crush on humans, we are appointed by the celestial forces to guide humanity to the right path, we also defend, protect and bless humanity, lastly, we have koboko laden with chilly pepper to flog fraudsters, thieves and those who disobey the commandments and laws of the universe, we are billions of Angels scattered all over the universe to do the bidding of the celestial realm cool
@bold says who cheesy
Gen 6:2 "the sons of God(angels) saw that the daughters of men were beautiful,(humans) and they took as wives whomever they chose".  wink

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:27pm On Jun 10, 2018
Rubbiish:

Accurate.
Same with what i was told.
But u didn't add kingpost sir

Kingpost......2x6

It's not usually stated separately on a quote. It's just added to the list of 2x6's to be used.

Bro, the only accurate thing in building construction is that building which outlives its owner before a major repair.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 4:28pm On Jun 10, 2018
AngelicBeing:
Daboomb, making sense since 1460 AD, I like your choice of words and analysis, and you said you only had standard 3 education, I disagree with you on that because a standard 3 student can't write the way you do, I won't mind to have a penthouse in the future cool

You can flatter someone sha, l just envy your wife.

Pent House is a very nice thing to have!

*Just lying down and gazing up at the Stars at night?

*Feeling the 'raw' Breeze on your body with only a Boxers on?

*Doing your morning/evening exercise routine where your wife or kids cant notice that 'your crotch is now touching the floor' when you do push-ups! Old men's style grin

*Doing what you are only able to do as a kid (bath almost naked in the rain) without anyone watching you?

*Committing indecency by making love in the open under the stars on a clear night, without a care of being caught or seen?

*Hiding-away from everybody, when you want to read a Novel or just be alone to meditate?

The benefits are endless, just for a little additional cost.

BTW: If you vex me, l will would have loved to publish my Standard 3 Cert here but Giant Rats ate the damn thing.... . l think my Nepa bill will also suffice.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 4:31pm On Jun 10, 2018
Rubbiish:

@bold says who cheesy
Gen 6:2 "the sons of God(angels) saw that the daughters of men were beautiful,(humans) and they took as wives whomever they chose".  wink

...and gave birth to Giants (the Philistines mostly) who roam the earth.

I salute you, Pastor Rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 4:39pm On Jun 10, 2018
AngelicBeing:
I am an Angel, we don't crush on humans, we are appointed by the celestial forces to guide humanity to the right path, we also defend, protect and bless humanity, lastly, we have koboko laden with chilly pepper to flog fraudsters, thieves and those who disobey the commandments and laws of the universe, we are billions of Angels scattered all over the universe to do the bidding of the celestial realm and to enforce equity, justice and mercy in the terrestrial realm cool

Chai! Cheesux!!

Angels don dey vex these days o!

But seriously, l wish there were Angels that would flog the hell outta our Politicians, anytime they steal from the people.

* I 'secretly' admire your writing style as well *

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 5:48pm On Jun 10, 2018
Good day house. I am planning on working on tank support and the desirable height is about 35 to 40m above the ground level.
I got original H beam steel from an old constructions site but they off cuts of 15-17m in length. But the prince is good. In fact the person is selling at this price cos of fasting accriding to him. By implication each of the legs of the support may need more than one junction or joining. My welders says it is OK that he will be able to use.
Please I need your advice. Do you think the risk of collapse is not unnecessarily or significantly higher with this joining?

Spyder88, Haji M, Rubbiish, Daboomb
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:00pm On Jun 10, 2018
Daboomb:

Chai! Cheesux!!

Angels don dey vex these days o!

But seriously, l wish there were Angels that would flog the hell outta our Politicians, anytime they steal from the people.

* I 'secretly' admire your writing style as well *
Thanks for the compliment, Lol at Angels flogging politicians, the creator is ever merciful, he gives chance for humans to repent and retrace their wicked ways but if they insist on doing evil, they are flogged, the flogging comes in different ways, many of them are served with serious karma that affects their lineage, karma is real although many people don't believe in it but I do believe in the laws of retributive justice.

I have seen that law dealing hot Eba and ogbono soup with goat meats to few close friends l knew personally, but again it depends on the divide you stand, even if nobody believes in karma, we are all accountable to the creator after exiting this terrestrial realm shocked

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 6:08pm On Jun 10, 2018
alstacs:
Good day house. I am planning on working on tank support and the desirable height is about 35 to 40m above the ground level.
I got original H beam steel from an old constructions site but they off cuts of 15-17m in length. But the prince is good. In fact the person is selling at this price cos of fasting accriding to him. By implication each of the legs of the support may need more than one junction or joining. My welders says it is OK that he will be able to use.
Please I need your advice. Do you think the risk of collapse is not unnecessarily or significantly higher with this joining?

35 - 40m or foot?
If it is meter, it would have be best for u to have incorporated the tank storage on the building roof. Be that as it may, there is nothing wrong in joing H beams, u will always join different H beams to achieve any desired height. But 40m for water tank stand is quite high oo...What is the capacity sir?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:32pm On Jun 10, 2018
alstacs:

Sir,
Like @Rubbish said, is it in Feet or Meters? 40M is about 135ft!

- You can weld the beams and if properly welded, there is nothing to worry about.
- Ensure the welding is thick and all around the joint
- Brace it in as many places as possible, especially close to weld-joints, to make it more rigid.
- Let the Stands be placed wide-part enough, if possible, wider than the tank itself, to give it more stability.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 7:16pm On Jun 10, 2018
Daboomb:

Sir,
Like @Rubbish said, is it in Feet or Meters? 40M is about 135ft!

- You can weld the beams and if properly welded, there is nothing to worry about.
- Ensure the welding is thick and all around the joint
- Brace it in as many places as possible, especially close to weld-joints, to make it more rigid.
- Let the Stands be placed wide-part enough, if possible, wider than the tank itself, to give it more stability.

E má bínú.. It is ft oh... Not metres. The house self na just about 9m...
Na so person de fail exam oh come de blame village people.... Lol.

Seriously, I appreciate all your feedback, they have been quite helpful. I will go buy them quickly before the guy change his mind. I went round houses today and I saw the thickness of H beams that were bought newly... Dem nor make sense at all.
Standard organisation get work to do a swear.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Yemibrilliant(m): 12:48am On Jun 11, 2018
Rubbiish:

I have no issue with d 30k for drawing & stamping as it depends on d architect. My worry is if d building approval will fly for 50k...There are many fees attached to building plan approval. It is likely to cost a little bit above 100k for bungalow. I will advise u handle d approval yourself, so u don't experience what maverick experienced in the hands of brabus couple of years back.
Thanks very much.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tobbyboy2011: 3:57am On Jun 11, 2018
I am interested. Send me a message on whatsapp: 08152724591

tbaby4u:

We have a 50 by 50 plot of land in Magboro owned by my family for sale. 1.5 million only. Magboro is after Isheri North after Berger. It's just 2 mins drive after Punch. Pm me if interested.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:46am On Jun 11, 2018
alstacs:

E má bínú.. It is ft oh... Not metres. The house self na just about 9m...
Na so person de fail exam oh come de blame village people.... Lol.

Seriously, I appreciate all your feedback, they have been quite helpful. I will go buy them quickly before the guy change his mind. I went round houses today and I saw the thickness of H beams that were bought newly... Dem nor make sense at all.
Standard organisation get work to do a swear.
What are the size of the H beams?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spiceeamiee(f): 11:24am On Jun 11, 2018
Good morning all. Please who does building designs here? I need a quote for a building design. Please send an email to mimidec49@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shams040(m): 1:15pm On Jun 11, 2018
spiceeamiee:
Good morning all. Please who does building designs here? I need a quote for a building design. Please send an email to mimidec49@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Sent you a mail
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 8:49pm On Jun 11, 2018
Quick question to the house...since block setting is usually charged per 100 blocks, how many bag(s) of cement is required to set 100 x 9" blocks?

Thanks for taking time to respond.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:15pm On Jun 11, 2018
megacontrol:
Quick question to the house...since block setting is usually charged per 100 blocks, how many bag(s) of cement is required to set 100 blocks?

Thanks for taking time to respond.
It depends on the size of block
For 9inches block, they hardly meet the 100blocks per day target.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 9:36pm On Jun 11, 2018
Rubbiish:

What are the size of the H beams?

I am not sure of the thickness, I could only compare with "new ones on ground" but they are 6 x 3 ".

I visited a friend today, he used 4"x2" and when to a height of 37ft. Another used 5x2" and got to a height of 30ft.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:05pm On Jun 11, 2018
alstacs:

I am not sure of the thickness, I could only compare with "new ones on ground" but they are 6 x 3 ".

I visited a friend today, he used 4"x2" and when to a height of 37ft. Another used 5x2" and got to a height of 30ft.
What capacity of tank do u intend to support sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nettuno: 3:46am On Jun 12, 2018
Daboomb:

"Cost" is usually a pointer to 'positive differences' in similar items.

This your question is beginning to look like WAEC, Use of English Essay Exam. angry angry angry

Aesthetics / Beauty - Duplex trumps all, followed by Penthouse. Penthouse gives you an area of the house where you can be 'outside' the house, yet be 'inside' the house at the same time.

Safety/Security - Duplex is safer but having a Penthouse gives you the 'exclusive use' of an area of the building where you can 'do and undo' as you feel. grin Having a 'small party' for inner-most circle in the Penthouse area, is my favourite past-time

Visibility - Duplex allows you better visibility of your environment due to height above ground, compared to Bungalow but Penthouse is even better.

Space - Penthouse are usually small in size (just for exclusive use of the "The Don".), Duplex presents a lot of space for occupiers, Bungalows can be limited in space

Well, yo get what you pay for, as they say.
You can always build a Bungalow and let it have a penthouse on top, same with a Duplex.
Its called 'Cheating'. grin grin

@ Daboomb, Thanks for the wonderful analysis. I think I may decide to “cheat” with the Penthouse !

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeycial: 6:52am On Jun 12, 2018
Bonjour my brothers.

Kinda confused and I need your advice.

Can I use gravel for a decking project?Though I know granite is the standard been used but due to constraints on my financial muscle,I wish to know the side effect if a two bedroom twin flat is decked using gravel instead of granite.

Secondly,can I use ply woods supported with bamboo sticks to hold the decking instead of the normal 1 by 12 planks?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:25am On Jun 12, 2018
abbeycial:
Bonjour my brothers.

Can I use gravel for a decking project?Though I know granite is the standard been used but due to constraints on my financial muscle,I wish to know the side effect if a two bedroom twin flat is decked using gravel instead of granite.

Secondly,can I use ply woods supported with bamboo sticks to hold the decking instead of the normal 1 by 12 planks?

Thanks.
Hmmm...bros i will advise u wait till u have funds

I wouldn't advise gravel for a duplex, only bungalow & plywood got different thickness though. Dont know the thickness u are talking about. But i know 1x12 planks will be cheaper than any plywood of considerable thickness. Concrete is heavy.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeycial: 8:12am On Jun 12, 2018
Rubbiish:

Hmmm...bros i will advise u wait till u have funds

I wouldn't advise gravel for a duplex, only bungalow & plywood got different thickness though. Dont know the thickness u are talking about. But i know 1x12 planks will be cheaper than any plywood of considerable thickness. Concrete is heavy.
I appreciate your candid response bro.

I have to double my effort and get the granite for the job. embarassed
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:13am On Jun 12, 2018
abbeycial:
Bonjour my brothers.

Thanks.

Ply boards are of different types and thickness. If you are referring to that type which is about 1/2" or 3/4" flexible and light weight then that's a complete no go area for decking usage.

The disadvantage of using gravel is that it does not bond well when used due to its spherical nature. And if a concrete mix using such as aggregate comes in contact with constant water , you'll notice hair line cracks and it easily wears off.

I know its being used in some parts of the eastern region.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 9:02am On Jun 12, 2018
9" block, and i was asking about the qty of cement that will be used to set 100 x 9" blocks irrespective of how long the job lasts.
Thanks

Rubbiish:

It depends on the size of block
For 9inches block, they hardly meet the 100blocks per day target.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 9:43am On Jun 12, 2018
I got 3,000 x 9" blocks from 100 bags.

Do the math.

megacontrol:
9" block, and i was asking about the qty of cement that will be used to set 100 x 9" blocks irrespective of how long the job lasts.
Thanks

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 9:45am On Jun 12, 2018
jabolo:
I got 3,000 x 9" blocks from 100 bags.

EDIT: Apologies, you said 'set' (as in install), not 'mould'?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abbeycial: 9:53am On Jun 12, 2018
bixton:

Ply boards are of different types and thickness. If you are referring to that type which is about 1/2" or 3/4" flexible and light weight then that's a complete no go area for decking usage.

The disadvantage of using gravel is that it does not bond well when used due to its spherical nature. And if a concrete mix using such as aggregate comes in contact with constant water , you'll notice hair line cracks and it easily wears off.

I know its being used in some parts of the eastern region.

Wow!
The gravel idea was sold to me by one of my neighbors who also has a two storey building he developed in same area(4 units of 2 bedroom flats).
Was doubting the reliability of gravel over granite when it comes to decking thus I threw it to the house for clarification.

For the ply wood,I would just drop the idea.
I can't faint.

(1) (2) (3) ... (980) (981) (982) (983) (984) (985) (986) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Theanchor and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.