Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,873 members, 7,828,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4426162 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:41pm On Nov 24, 2015
befto:
Members of the house,

Please can you give me some ideas of how much it cost to set up scaffolding for plastering of a house?

How many bamboos/wood are generally needed?

The site in question is 2 sets of 3 bedroom flats on both the ground and first floor plus a pent house.

Awaiting your responses.

Thanks
I think you should measure the length of the building. if you spread the stick 3 feet each that should give you how many you need.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 24, 2015
FastShipping:

That is ≤ 5 tons not to talk of 10 tons.

Below are pictures of 5 tons and 30 tons dump trucks.

That first picture is here at

http://www.hopewelltwp.com/dump-truck-with-plow-package-for-sale/

And they said "International 1992 ten-ton dump truck " so who knows grin

All I know is deaarrrriiisssssgooooddduuoooo for all these materials they are shedding......
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 8:03pm On Nov 24, 2015
EgunMogaji:

That first picture is here at

http://www.hopewelltwp.com/dump-truck-with-plow-package-for-sale/

And they said "International 1992 ten-ton dump truck " so who knows grin

All I know is deaarrrriiisssssgooooddduuoooo for all these materials they are shedding......

I ship these trucks all the time. There is so much deceit in trucks people sell. I ship trucks that are 20 tons all the time that Nigerians buy as 30 tons. I see 10 tons Nigerians buy as 20 tons. When I tell them the truth, they don't always agree until they get to Nigeria.

Look at the truck that they used to deliver your "10 tons" and ask yourself if three of the loaded sand can fill the 30 ton truck attached.

Below is a truck a nairalander gave me just last week as 30 tons, whereas the truck is a 20 ton being advertised as 30 tons.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:03pm On Nov 24, 2015
So I have some time to kill grin

I found that the truck was owned by Finney Bros in Banbridge UK and it's a Volvo.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nameoh: 11:49pm On Nov 24, 2015
I am at the roofing stage of my house (4 flat) duplex and am looking for a way of making the roofing cheap while not dropping on quality.
Please can anyone help me with the advantage and disadvantages between these 2 roofing styles ( cost, fashion and durability)
Note this is not the building , i just want to choose between this 2 roofing styles.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 3:26am On Nov 25, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I completely disagree.

Why not kuku deck the whole house because I might decide to smoke a cigar in bed and doze off. Or maybe my crack pipe will explode while I'm hitting it in the restroom. Or the car will catch fire in the garage as I spray carb cleaner in the carbs.

This is all part of the previously discussed overbuilding.

But to each his own.

While you have a right to disagree, those examples you are citing are completely irrelevant and tongue-in-cheek....naivety, to put it mildly!

There are so many ways to "prevent, contain and quench" a fire.

This post is particularly about "CONTAINMENT OF FIRE" in the event of an outbreak..... not about "possible causes of Fire"!

"Concreting" is surely one of the "established" methods, irrespective of whether you agree or not, for containing fire

FYI:Unlike other building materials like wood/PVC
*Concrete does not burn nor add to the fire load
*Concrete provides "Compartmentation" in case of fire, due to its high resistance to fire
*Concrete is easier to repair, after a fire
*Concrete is a protective material, it does not produce smoke or other hazardous fumes during a fire
*Concrete structures remain mostly stable, during a fire
*Concrete provides safe escape and safe fire fighting environment
*Concrete reduces the risk of "roof collapse" in case of fire
*Concrete is not affected by water, used to quench a fire

Except you can show us a better material ........with better fire-hazard-management and cost effectiveness. undecided undecided

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:28am On Nov 25, 2015
lastpage:

While you have a right to disagree, t[/b]hose examples you are citing are completely irrelevant and tongue-in-cheek....naivety, to put it mildly!

There are so many ways to "prevent, contain and quench" a fire.

This post is particularly about "CONTAINMENT OF FIRE" in the event of an outbreak..... not about "possible causes of Fire"!

[b]"Concreting" is surely one of the "established" methods, irrespective of whether you agree or not, for containing fire

FYI:Unlike other building materials like wood/PVC
*Concrete does not burn nor add to the fire load
*Concrete provides "Compartmentation" in case of fire, due to its high resistance to fire
*Concrete is easier to repair, after a fire
*Concrete is a protective material, it does not produce smoke or other hazardous fumes during a fire
*Concrete structures remain mostly stable, during a fire
*Concrete provides safe escape and safe fire fighting environment
*Concrete reduces the risk of "roof collapse" in case of fire
*Concrete is not affected by water, used to quench a fire

Except you can show us a better material ........with better fire-hazard-management and cost effectiveness. undecided undecided

Lastpage!

Thank you for giving me that opportunity to disagree grin

I know what I'll be doing and it's definitely not more load on top of the foundation. If I show you what I intend to use you'll just knock it down so it doesn't matter grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 3:30am On Nov 25, 2015
3strike:
The kind of things av learnt here on Nairaland, i didn't learn half of it in skol....

You wouldn't have been able to "imbibe" those knowledge, if you probably didn't go to school earlier.

School oepns your mind, widens your horizon and prepares your mental faculty to "identify and absorb" Knowdlege.

I tell you, an uneducated person might read all you read on Nland and not be able to know it s value! undecided undecided

Schooling definitely has its own role in our mental development.

Lastpage!

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 3:31am On Nov 25, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Thank you for giving me that opportunity to disagree grin

You do you and I do me. I know what I'll be doing.

Respects Sir! kiss

We just dey discuss nii grin grin

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lastpage: 3:38am On Nov 25, 2015
nameoh:
I am at the roofing stage of my house (4 flat) duplex and am looking for a way of making the roofing cheap while not dropping on quality.
Please can anyone help me with the advantage and disadvantages between these 2 roofing styles ( cost, fashion and durability)
Note this is not the building , i just want to choose between this 2 roofing styles.

Cost - chose 1 (uses less materials)

beauty - chose 2 (This much is obvious)

Durability - Chose 2 (Run-offs is quicker than 1, due to angle of slope, Less likely to rust as it does not retain water or other contaminants easily, compared to 1;Less likely to be "blown-off by wind" (for same type of tie-down) compared to 1 )

So, depending on what is most important to you, you can make your own decision

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 5:18am On Nov 25, 2015
EgunMogaji:
@Hajj e be say this na what is replacing our trusty Bedfords

Alleged 10 tons of dharp sand being delivered on site. Alleged because I don't have a scale onsite grin

At least they are alleging 10 tonnes in lagos they will say 15 when it is actually between 7.5 or 10 for sand.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I completely disagree.

Why not kuku deck the whole house because I might decide to smoke a cigar in bed and doze off. Or maybe my crack pipe will explode while I'm hitting it in the restroom. Or the car will catch fire in the garage as I spray carb cleaner in the carbs.

This is all part of the previously discussed overbuilding.

But to each his own.

Egun is using our Naija grammar.. cheesy
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:28pm On Nov 25, 2015
nameoh:

You have to show us your building and the environment to help you make a better decision. Do you want to use Aluminium or Stone coated Roofing tiles?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 25, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Egun is using our Naija grammar.. cheesy

Abi bawoni. Ori emi na wa nibe now grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 25, 2015
gabbytabby:

At least they are alleging 10 tonnes in lagos they will say 15 when it is actually between 7.5 or 10 for sand.

I validated with previous owners of the truck and manufacturer info, the truck is indeed 12 tons capacity but advertised by the manufacturer as 10tons. So I'm all good grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:07pm On Nov 25, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Abi bawoni. Ori emi na wa nibe now grin

grin grin grin grin
I'm laughing so hard right now

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EndiaSami: 6:24am On Nov 26, 2015
lastpage:

You wouldn't have been able to "imbibe" those knowledge, if you probably didn't go to school earlier.

School oepns your mind, widens your horizon and prepares your mental faculty to "identify and absorb" Knowdlege.

I tell you, an uneducated person might read all you read on Nland and not be able to know it s value! undecided undecided

Schooling definitely has its own role in our mental development.

Lastpage!
100/100 grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:29am On Nov 30, 2015
I'm at a stage here I need to start serious consideration for my rough plumbing.

I have a problem in the manner that I want to be able to center my toilet bowls and sinks perfectly in relation to windows, doors and room lengths.

Please share pictures of your rough plumbings and if you did internal or external plumbings.

Thanks.

PS: One more question, when you folks talk about cost to build your houses, I am assuming that cost of land, fence, gate, soakaway, omo onile, etc are not added?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:41am On Nov 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:
I'm at a stage here I need to start serious consideration for my rough plumbing.

I have a problem in the manner that I want to be able to center my toilet bowls and sinks perfectly in relation to windows, doors and room lengths.

Please share pictures of your rough plumbings and if you did internal or external plumbings.

Thanks.

PS: One more question, when you folks talk about cost to build your houses, I am assuming that cost of land, fence, gate, soakaway, omo onile, etc are not added?

Some from my sites......

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:02am On Nov 30, 2015
This arrangement where the WC sits on the waste pipe..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 30, 2015
KolaShangOne:
This arrangement where the WC sits on the waste pipe..

Thanks.

Shouldn't the waste pipe be at least 12" from the wall to accommodate the water tank?

I need to call you actually.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:19am On Nov 30, 2015
spyder880:

Some from my sites......
beautiful pipe
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 8:47am On Nov 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

You are correct in Trying to Center all your Outlets in relation to the Space been accommodated by it. Both for your mechanical and Electrical Outlets.

Some few Pictures to Help Out

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:13am On Nov 30, 2015
skimanski:

You are correct in Trying to Center all your Outlets in relation to the Space been accommodated by it. Both for your mechanical and Electrical Outlets.

Some few Pictures to Help Out

Thank you. I was trying not to have to chisel the brickwork but I don't see any way out of that for now.

What about the drain for the toilet bowl, how do you do that?

By the way I ran into one of your old builds (pictured) its share brilliance. A tip of my bowler hat to you.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 10:54am On Nov 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Thank you. I was trying not to have to chisel the brickwork but I don't see any way out of that for now.

By the way I ran into one of your old builds (pictured) its share brilliance. A tip of my bowler hat to you.

That's should also be centralized to its accommodating wall. I can come out of the wall or floor. Depending on the kind of WC fitting

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:23am On Nov 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

Shouldn't the waste pipe be at least 12" from the wall to accommodate the water tank?

I need to call you actually.

Yes.. Less or equal to.. A pan connector is still gonna be used.

This handle @topsy23 can actually guide you through your plumbing. He did this pic posted below. You can see welded pipes with 0 possibility of leakage ever. The connections perfect too.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:31pm On Nov 30, 2015
lastpage:

Cost - chose 1 (uses less materials)

beauty - chose 2 (This much is obvious)

Durability - Chose 2 (Run-offs is quicker than 1, due to angle of slope, Less likely to rust as it does not retain water or other contaminants easily, compared to 1;Less likely to be "blown-off by wind" (for same type of tie-down) compared to 1 )

So, depending on what is most important to you, you can make your own decision

Lastpage!

Option one is definitely cheaper.

Option one can also be more beautiful or esthetically pleasing than option two depending on how you finished the building and since beauty is subjective.

Option one is more durable and will not lick easily because of lack of excessive Valley. Roof lick easily at the valley, since long span roofing sheet is used for option one the dilemma of joint along purlin is eliminated.

Option one can also have better resistance to uplifting wind or any lateral lad acting on the roof through the introduction of parapet wall (don't confuse with concrete fascia).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:45pm On Nov 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Brilliant design. I love it

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dieumerci(m): 1:03pm On Nov 30, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Yes.. Less or equal to.. A pan connector is still gonna be used.

This handle @topsy23 can actually guide you through your plumbing. He did this pic posted below. You can see welded pipes with 0 possibility of leakage ever. The connections perfect too.

Welded pipes?
Are these copper or PPR pipes?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 1:12pm On Nov 30, 2015
Dieumerci:

Welded pipes?
Are these copper or PPR pipes?

PPR pipes.
Welded with a machine whereby the pipe goes on a hole within the hand held machine, heats it all up, which reveals a glue part, then they couple the pipes together. The pic above by Topsy/Kola is that of the ongoing pipe work at my site.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 1:18pm On Nov 30, 2015
Ladies/Gents

I have read some posts before on this thread which talks about screeding. I need to make an important decision about screeding, the info that I have got on this forum suggests its a waste of money.
At this stage, I cannot afford to waste any kobo, so the plan I had before was as follows.

Install full pop in the living room/dining.
have a cornice + screeding in the centre for everywhere else.

When I had 2 quotes for the Pop work, the measurement are pretty close.
Going with the plan I had before would cost over a million and I cannot go with this option for cost reasons.

My question is, if the decking/ceiling is plastered well, can that just not be painted to get a super smooth finish.

Also, most tenants might want Pop ceiling elsewhere apart from living/dining, happy for them to do it as long as i am not paying for it.

Any thoughts people ?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:01pm On Nov 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Also keep in mind that piping for American toilet will be different from Europe/Naija toilets o. (I know you like importation of your stuffs)

Hajji M.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.