Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,582 members, 7,812,903 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

Greatest Atheist Quotes - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Greatest Atheist Quotes (17317 Views)

Atheist Quotes / Atheist Quotes Of The Day. / Atheist Quotes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 8:01am On Mar 30, 2009
Atheists do not attack God, cos he is indeed imaginary. we attack religious people who believe this imaginary being. we want them to open their eyes and come back to thier senses, to stop believing in imaginary beings, cos ppl who do so are practically deluded.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 8:05am On Mar 30, 2009
and hey! i thought this thread was to be for quotes?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 8:54am On Mar 30, 2009
davidylan:

this is dishonest bull. You are not familiar with christianity (beyond the atheist websites you plagiarise), you dont understand its core teachings neither are you familiar with its doctrines.

what are christianity's core doctorines? there is non. . . . the catholic doctorine is very different from the evangelical baptist doctorine which is also very differnt from the seven day adventist doctorine, that too is also different from the prosperity preachers out there, there is NO core christian belief and doctorine if there was then there wouldn't be more than over 30,000 VERY different sects of christianity each with their different beliefs and doctorines. so don't be too full of yourself you fool and stop lying because every church has its own doctorine, nothing like christian doctorine exits only church doctorine does.

What if i asked to explain to me in concrete terms the doctrine of water baptism?
What if i asked you to explain the spiritual meaning of the breaking of the bread?
What if i asked you the bible's theological position on faith?

Do you know any of those?

there is no such thing, it all depends on how you interpert it, the catholic water baptism is different from the protestant water baptism, catholics baptize their babies while others do not. there is no universally accepted christian meaning of water baptism every church interpretes it the way it sees fit. davidylan is not the only person that understand the spritual meaning of breaking of bread because if i am to ask some one like donnie or sir john here on nairaland what it means his opinion and interpretation will differ greatly from yours. what is the bible's theological position on faith? that also depends on personal interpretation and opinion. there is no such thing as the bibles theolgical position on faith because no two christians agree on that, christian theology differs greatly from chrch to church in most cases they cancel each other out, your own theology on faith is different from the catholic theology on faith which also differ greatly from other sects. every thing depends on your own opinion and interpretation there is no such thing as christian theology on faith if there was there wouldn't be more than 30,000 different sects of christianity each fighting and castigating each other. a good example is the present war in the nigerian pentacostal movement (tb joshua vs adeboye and crew).

You hypocrites and spawns of satan attack christianity because it is the truth, it is the only faith that actively questions your morals and pricks your consciences. Islam has no power, buddhism is simply idol worship in disguise . . . you HATE christianity because it condemns you for living in sin, you despise it because it shuts you out of heaven even though you claim you dont believe it exists.

christianity is the truth to what? there is no truth in christianity let me show you a one lie that exist in the bible(there are uncountable of them)? where did jesus first appear to his disciples after he was raised from the dead? one of the gospel writers said he first appeared to the 11 disciples in a room in jerusalem while another said he first appeard to the 11 disciples on a mountain in galilee,(galilee and jerusalem are at least 100km apart and a room is not the same as a mountain) so one of the bible writers is definately lying here if we are to believe what the bible is saying. there are so many of such lies in the bible. you still want to talk about christianity being the truth? by the way there are so many mistranslation and out right forgery of the orignal hebrew bible(tanakah) in the christain bible example the alleged prophecy in isaiah.  what is the truth in christianity by the way? the truth that keeps you in a world of bubble and delusion? idiot. . . . .

what morality is there in the bible? you want me to quote verses where the biblegod commands people to rape, kill, steal, enslave and brand each other, maim their body parts and lie? don't be too full of yourself you deluded fool. i don't hate christianity because it condems me to hell(i dont believe in hell), i hate christianity because christians always insult, disparage and castigate me when ever i tell them that i do not believe in their foolish deity. by the way what is heaven and hell? there are books written by christians that claimed to have been to heaven, pls get two different books written by different authours and read, you will see that their descriptions are totally different from each other some of their testimonies flatly cancel each other out. by the way what is sin? if there is any such thing as sin then the foolish god you worship is the greatest sinner because he has committed the greatest sin in the world if we are to believe what is written in the bible about him, he commands people to rape steal lie and kill each other, infact he was the first person to tell a lie in the bible go and read it up.

You also hate christianity because most christians would turn the other cheek when you slap the first. If Christians were 50% as violent as muslims, none of you wimps would dare open your gob here.

seems you know little about what you are saying. . . .is george bush a muslim? pat robinson, jerry farwell, rev phleps? are you not a christian? is there any difference between you and the moslems out there? idiot again you are so full of your self idiot.

Islam is trying so hard to get the UN to outlaw criticism of the quran and the name "mohammad", tolerance and freedom do not exist in muslim circles . . . AND YET you have more problems with christianity?

we are not living in moslem countries if you have a problem with what moslems are trying to enforce in the UN go and cry to ban ki moon. stop whinning like a headless chicken here on nairaland. idiot

Stop howling like pigs you fools . . . we are not the ones who pushed the bibles into your laps as little kids . . . if any of you had any ounce of spunk in you why have you not confronted your parents about your stance on christianity? why do you cowards hide from your family and friends only to come here blowing hot air?

who told you we havent? idiot. . . again i see no moslem forcing you to accept islam why do you spend most of your time here on nairaland attacking them? its ok to show the inconsistencies and lies of the koran but not the inconsistences and lies of the bible? idiot

You all pretend to be intelligent, accuse us of being blind followers of emotions and worship the gods of science YET you cannot answer me one simple question - how did we get here and were are you going when you die?

do you believe in christianity because it answers the question of how we got here? ok when did the bible god create plants if we are to go by the different creation stories in genesis 1 and 2, it seems the bible god does not even know when he created the plants talkless of the universe and other planets. does the bible answer what will happen to people when they die? are the words of the bible not opinions and imaginations of other men?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 9:11am On Mar 30, 2009
DeReloaded:
Should I be amused that atheist never have the guts to go after the Qu'ran the way they do about The Bible.

The vocal ones on NL always hide their necks when it comes to Islam (they believe in an "imaginary person" too BTW) but when it comes to the Bible they start shining teeth

Unless you can rant your gibberish about both religions, be quiet. Cowards.

Way to tar with a broad brush. The thing is there are many atheists that have no problem criticising Islam - I'm one of them. In fact, I'm probably more likely to criticise Islam, the beliefs in Islam, and their crazy apologetics, than its Christian counterpart. That such criticism appears on forums and mediums that don't immediately delete commentary pointing out the flaws in a religion helps.

By the way, the last time someone brought this up, I was happy to give him a link to a group of atheists dedicated to dispelling the myth of Islam.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by spikedcylinder: 9:19am On Mar 30, 2009
You guys are just arguing in vain! All the people that criticise religion on the internet are cowards - Muslims and Christians.

I doubt if Mr Huxely, Mazaje and the rest of the anti-Christian squad can stand in front of any Christian crowd and spew the stuff that they do regularly. They will not remain standing not minding that the Christian community is not a violent one.
At the same time, I also seriously doubt that Mr Davidylan, Osisi etc can openly criticise Islam the way they do. They don't even need to stand in front of a Muslim gathering, just say it in front of one Muslim fanatic. Na RIP we go hear after that

So, you all should keep quiet and stick to the darn topic. undecided
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 9:23am On Mar 30, 2009
Ascony:

and hey! i thought this thread was to be for quotes?

Aye, that it is.

“The Persian shows the Zend-Avesta of Zoroaster, the lawgiver of Persia, and calls it the divine law; the Brahmin shows the Shaster, revealed, he says, by God to Brahma, and given to him out of a cloud; the Jew shows what he calls the law of Moses, given, he says, by God, on the Mount Sinai; the Christian shows a collection of books and epistles, written by nobody knows who, and called the New Testament; and the Mahometan shows the Koran, given, he says, by God to Mahomet: each of these calls itself revealed religion, and the only true Word of God, and this the followers of each profess to believe from the habit of education, and each believes the others are imposed upon.”
--Thomas Paine; The Age of Reason

Calvin: This whole Santa Claus thing just doesn't make sense. Why all the secrecy? Why all the mystery? If the guy exists, why doesn't he ever show himself and prove it? And if he doesn't exist, what's the meaning of all this?

Hobbes: I dunno. Isn't this a religious holiday?

Calvin: Yeah, but actually, I've got the same questions about God.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Some people say it is not nice to question God. They think that believing the myth is more important than finding out what is really true. —Dan Barker
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by spikedcylinder: 9:28am On Mar 30, 2009
KAG:

Calvin: This whole Santa Claus thing just doesn't make sense. Why all the secrecy? Why all the mystery? If the guy exists, why doesn't he ever show himself and prove it? And if he doesn't exist, what's the meaning of all this?

Hobbes: I dunno. Isn't this a religious holiday?

Calvin: Yeah, but actually, I've got the same questions about God.

- Calvin and Hobbes

Lol! Good one. grin
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 9:31am On Mar 30, 2009
"Man is a religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only
animal that has the True Religion - several of them. He is the only animal
that loves his neighbour as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't
straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to
smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven. , The higher animals
have no religion. And we are told that they are going to be left out in the
hereafter. I wonder why? It seems questionable taste."
-Mark Twain, The Lowest Animal

One man's religion is another man's belly laugh.
Robert A. Heinlein

You see, the religious people — most of them — really think this planet is an experiment. That's what their beliefs come down to. Some god or other is always fixing and poking, messing around with tradesmen's wives, giving tablets on mountains, commanding you to mutilate your children, telling people what words they can say and what words they can't say, making people feel guilty about enjoying themselves, and like that. Why can't the gods leave well enough alone? All this intervention speaks of incompetence. If God didn't want Lot's wife to look back, why didn't he make her obedient, so she'd do what her husband told her? Or if he hadn't made Lot such a shithead, maybe she would've listened to him more. If God is omnipotent and omniscient, why didn't he start the universe out in the first place so it would come out the way he wants? Why's he constantly repairing and complaining? No, there's one thing the Bible makes clear: The biblical God is a sloppy manufacturer. He's not good at design, he's not good at execution. He'd be out of business if there was any competition.

- Sol Hadden in Carl Sagan's Contact (New York: Pocket Books, 1985), p. 285.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by noetic(m): 9:34am On Mar 30, 2009
Atheism is an irrational state of mind. , . where the subject of ones disbelief cannot be substantiated or defined.

Noetic, Nairaland.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 9:38am On Mar 30, 2009
This was written by Aron-Ra a few years ago, and I liked it so much; so here it is for your pleasure.

The One True Religion

African Methodist Episcopal
African Methodist Episcopal Zion
African Orthodox Church (1)
American Baptist Churches USA
Amish
Anabaptist
Anglican Catholic Church
Antiochian Orthodox
Armenian Evangelical Church
Armenian Orthodox
Assemblies of God
Associated Gospel Churches of Canada
Association of Vineyard Churches
Baptist
Baptist Bible Fellowship
Branch Davidian
Brethren in Christ
Bruderhof Communities
Byzantine Catholic Church
Calvary Chapel
Calvinist
Catholic
Cell Church
Celtic Orthodox
Charismatic Episcopal Church
Children of God
Christadelphian
Christian and Missionary Alliance
Christian Churches of God
Christian Identity
Christian Reformed Church
Christian Science
Church of God (Anderson)
Church of God (Cleveland)
Church of God (Seventh Day)
Church of God in Christ
Church of God of Prophecy
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
Church of Scotland@
Church of South India
Church of the Brethren
Church of the Lutheran Brethren of America
Church of the Nazarene
Church of the New Jerusalem
Church of the United Brethren in Christ
Church Universal and Triumphant
Churches of Christ
Churches of God General Conference
Congregational Christian Churches
Coptic Orthodox
Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Disciples of Christ
Episcopal
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church
Evangelical Congregational Church
Evangelical Covenant Church
Evangelical Formosan Church
Evangelical Free Church
Evangelical Lutheran Church
Evangelical Methodist Church
Evangelical Presbyterian
Fellowship of Christian Assemblies
Fellowship of Grace Brethren
Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches
Free Church of Scotland
Free Methodist
Free Presbyterian
Free Will Baptist
Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Gnostic
Great Commission Association of Churches
Greek Orthodox
House of Yahweh
Hutterian Brethren
Independent Fundamental Churches of America
Indian Orthodox
International Church of the Foursquare Gospel
International Churches of Christ
Jehovah's Witnesses
Living Church of God
Local Church
Lutheran
Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod
Mar Thoma Syrian Church
Mennonite
Messianic Judaism
Methodist
Moravian Church
Nation of Yahweh
New Frontiers International
Old Catholic Church
Oriental Orthodox
Orthodox
Orthodox Church in America
Orthodox Presbyterian
Pentecostal
Plymouth Brethren
Presbyterian
Presbyterian Church (USA)
Presbyterian Church in America
Primitive Baptist
Protestant Reformed Church
Quaker
Reformed
Reformed Baptist
Reformed Church in America
Reformed Church in the United States
Reformed Churches of Australia
Reformed Episcopal
Reformed Presbyterian Church
Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Revival Centres International
Romanian Orthodox
Rosicrucian
Russian Orthodox
Serbian Orthodox
Seventh Day Baptist
Seventh-Day Adventist
Shaker
Society of Friends
Southern Baptist Convention
Spiritist
Syrian Orthodox
True and Living Church of Jesus Christ of Saints of the Last Days
Two-by-Twos
Unification Church
Unitarian-Universalism
United Church of Canada
United Church of Christ
United Church of God
United Free Church of Scotland
United Methodist Church
United Reformed Church
Uniting Church in Australia
Unity Church
Unity Fellowship Church
Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan Community Churches
Virtual Churches
Waldensian Church
The Way International
Web Directories
Wesleyan
Wesleyan Methodist
Worldwide Church of God

These are all the denominations I can find just within Christianity, currently the world’s most popular religion. But each of these hold different beliefs, and some of them conflict quite harshly with all the others. Only when combined can they be considered the world’s largest religion. And even then, they only account for a third of the global population at most.

Islam is the world’s second-largest religion; But it is also the fastest-growing religion, and is expected to soon eclipse the deeply-divided denominations of collective Christianity everywhere in the world, including the United States. Muslims are also divided into denominations of their own, such as the Sunni, Sufi, Shia, and Wahabe.

The next largest religion, (and the oldest religion still in practice) is Hindu. Their 800 million some-odd believers are also divided into sub-categories of their own, Shivites, Jains, Shaktas, Viasnavas, Brahmin, etc., -based largely on their interpratation of Karma, or which aspect of their triunal god-head they feel the deepest personal relationship with. One of those factions, the Bhakti, have beliefs that parallel Christian faith in many ways, except of course that neither their gods nor any part of their religious traditions ever had anything to do with Moses or Abraham.

The fourth largest religion is Buddhism, which, (along with Taoism) account for the majority of religious adherents in the Orient. Being spread across cultures from India to Indonesia, and through the Himalayas into the China and the islands of the far east, they have also diverged into several denominations of their own; Mahayana, Non-sectarian, Nyingma, Pure Land, Rinzai, Shambala, Shin, Soto, Tendai, Theravada, Tibetan, Vajrayana, Vietnamese, Vipassana, Won, and Zen. Some Buddhist groups have lots of little gods, and sometimes they have no gods at all, and rever the bodhisatva instead, which may or may not include a supernatural aspect -depending on who you ask.

Then of course, there are the Jews, who are also divided into several different denominations. And there are also many tens of millions of Sikhs, Zoroastrians, and followers of Baha'u'llah, to say nothing of the pagan polytheists including Helenists, Odinists, Druids, Egyptian and Celtic witches, in addition to a few remaining millions of Shaman and Shinto.

Each religion claims to be unique, and each one pretends to superior in some way. But it is a logical fallacy that all of these groups disagree to some degree with all the others, and conflict violently with most of them, yet the vast majority of them claim that their religions are the one "true" ones, the "one" among them all who "knows" the "absolute truth". And they all believe what they do for the same reasons; some mere human wrote a book while pretending to speak for his god, and told them to believe what they do -for no reason at all. All of them believe contradictory things asserted as fact, but assumed on faith alone, so that none of them really knows anything they pretend to.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 9:39am On Mar 30, 2009
noetic:

Atheism is an irrational state of mind. , . where the subject of ones disbelief cannot be substantiated or defined.

Noetic, Nairaland.

Well, now, that's just not true, but that's another thread.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 10:52am On Mar 30, 2009
[b]"I think that religion is the most dangerous and divisive ideology that we have ever produced. It is also the only ideology that is systematically protected from criticism, both from within and without."
— Sam Harris

"The problem with religion, because it's been sheltered from criticism, is that it allows people to believe en mass what only idiots or lunatics could believe in isolation."
— Sam Harris

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."
— Christopher Hitchens

"God is no longer an explanation of anything, but has instead become something that would itself need an insurmountable amount of explaining."
— Douglas Adams

"There is not a single contemporary historical mention of Jesus, not by Romans or by Jews, not by believers or by unbelievers, during his entire lifetime. This does not disprove his existence, but it certainly casts great doubt on the historicity of a man who was supposedly widely known to have made a great impact on the world. Someone should have noticed."
— Dan Barker, ibid, p. 360
There is no evidence for a god, no coherent definition of a god, no good argument for a god, good positive arguments against a god, no agreement among believers about the nature or moral principles of a god, and no need for a god. We can live happy, moral, productive lives without such belief, and we can do it better."
— Dan Barker

"It is a fact of history and of current events that human beings exaggerate, misinterpret, or wrongly remember events. They have also fabricated pious fraud. Most believers in a religion understand this when examining the claims of other religions."[/b]
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 2:42pm On Mar 30, 2009
Atheists do not attack God, cos he is indeed imaginary. we attack religious people who believe this imaginary being. we want them to open their eyes and come back to thier senses, to stop believing in imaginary beings, cos ppl who do so are practically deluded.

Yet out of all the religions, it's only ONE you cowards focus on.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 2:44pm On Mar 30, 2009
we are not living in moslem countries if you have a problem with what moslems are trying to enforce in the UN go and cry to ban ki moon. stop whinning like a headless chicken here on nairaland

Nigeria might as well be.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 2:46pm On Mar 30, 2009
The thing is there are many atheists that have no problem criticising Islam - I'm one of them. In fact, I'm probably more likely to criticise Islam, the beliefs in Islam, and their crazy apologetics, than its Christian counterpart

I would like proof of "many" who do on NL and as for you, I'd like to see links of you doing the same.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 3:27pm On Mar 30, 2009
DeReloaded:

Yet out of all the religions, it's only ONE you cowards focus on.

how many times will i tell you that people only question the veracity of their former faiths? can you show me where any former moslem attacks christianity or hinduism when disproving the existance of any god? ex moslems only attack islam when disproving the existence of a god same applies to ex christians. why is that so hard for you to understand? (i thought i gave you a link to see for yourself what ex muslims are saying about the idea of a god, they only refer to the koran and other islamic teachings)

DeReloaded:

Nigeria might as well be.

i don't attack islam on nairaland since there are people that are already doing that here, i go to islamic websites like kanoonline or yanabi( islamic fundamentalist websites) when ever i feel like attacking islam and its teaching unfortunately they don't allow my post to last for more than 5 mins so i gave up.(visit yanabi you will see a lot of my posts there attacking the islamic faith and its teachings)
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 4:50pm On Mar 30, 2009
i don't attack islam on nairaland since there are people that are already doing that here,

why rely on others?

how many times will i tell you that people only question the veracity of their former faiths?

I suggest you re-read Ascony's comment
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 5:05pm On Mar 30, 2009
DeReloaded:

I would like proof of "many" who do on NL and as for you, I'd like to see links of you doing the same.

Thanks in advance.

No problem. Here are a few links produced from a quick search. Note: I'm only including the ones from the forum in which I use the same username as on NL.

From about a month ago - Showing Muslim apologetics for the fraud it is: http://www.naijaryders.com/forums/224640-prophet-muhammed-said-1400-years-ago-man-has-360-joints-he-right-money.html

My first post is the 37th one in the thread.

Where I argue again, and show that Mo' was a pedophile: http://www.naijaryders.com/forums/212653-contest-kag-please-come-outn-definen-differentiate-pedophilia-frm-ephebophilia.html

More Mo' and pedophilia: http://www.naijaryders.com/forums/184071-paedophiles-will-get-castration-jab.html#post3468607

One of my earliest and lengthiest series of responses to fraudulent Islamic apologetics: http://www.naijaryders.com/forums/152686-amazing-truths-about-science-found-4th-century-quran-mohammed-saw-dictated.html

Another: http://www.naijaryders.com/forums/133447-only-these-gospel-writers-trully-christs-disciple-while-alive.html

Funnily enough, most of them are largely responses to the same idiot.

As for non-theists that have responded to Muslims and Islam on Nl, I have, Huxley has, and Nferyn, IIRC, also did. Several of our posts on the topic have been deleted, and huxley was even banned when he was bent on showing Islam for what it is. However, I suspect that if you go back to at least a year ago, you should be able to find some of our posts on the subject.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 30, 2009
I see oyb has as usual tried to misrepresent my position to further his own false agenda. No i do not approve of under-aged sex.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 7:08pm On Mar 30, 2009
who's IIRC? Never seen his/her posts.

Never seen Huxley make a post about Islam either

Of course it doesnt only lie on you guys, also lies on the fact that any critcism against Christianity is allowed while the admin and co only remove the ones directed towards Islam
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 7:34pm On Mar 30, 2009
DeReloaded:

If I remember correctly.

He did. Several times. He eventually got banned for it.

Of course it doesnt only lie on you guys, also lies on the fact that any critcism against Christianity is allowed while the admin and co only remove the ones directed towards Islam

That's a good point. It's disgusting, but there's not much to be done about it.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 30, 2009
KAG:

He did. Several times. He eventually got banned for it.

That's a good point. It's disgusting, but there's not much to be done about it.

Only after being questioned repeatedly over his penchant for criticizing christianity and not islam. He himself admitted being afraid to post about islam for fear of being banned and harassed.

isnt it also funny that threads that seem to denigrate christianity end up on the front page while those on islam are quickly locked and relegated to the backwaters of the "islamic section"?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 8:03pm On Mar 30, 2009
davidylan:

Only after being questioned repeatedly over his penchant for criticizing christianity and not islam. He himself admitted being afraid to post about islam for fear of being banned and harassed.

I didn't know that. I was just aware of his posting threads on Islam and then getting banned for them. Oh well.

isnt it also funny that threads that seem to denigrate christianity end up on the front page while those on islam are quickly locked and relegated to the backwaters of the "islamic section"?

It's sickening, really. Unfortunately, this forum has taken to being an e-representation of those who would be cowed by Islamic threats. Oh well.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 10:08pm On Mar 30, 2009
"If you think your belief is based upon reason, you will support it by argument rather than by persecution, and will abandon it if the argument goes against you. But if your belief is based upon faith, you will realize that argument is useless, and will therefore resort to force either in the form of persecution or by stunting or distorting the minds of the young in what is called 'education.'"
- Bertrand Russell, The Quotable Bertrand Russell (ed. Lee Eisler, Buffalo, NY: Prometheus, 1993), p. 261
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bawomolo(m): 10:15pm On Mar 30, 2009
my original username (bawomol) got banned for making a thread about the quoran, this was during the time of the infamous fatwah. There are atheist groups in Israel. Susan Nathan is a secular jew whose writings are mostly about orthodox judaism and the Israeli state, is she a coward for not talking about Christianity? The funny thing is that you guys consider Islam and Christianity representative of all religions as if many others don't exist. Are Christians cowards for not attacking taoism?
[center]

back to the main thread.

'Spirit" is either a claim or a metaphor.
If a metaphor - not to be taken literally.
If a claim - not to be taken seriously.

Theists sometimes say their god is possible.
But no one goes to church to worship a possibility.

If the Christian god was a real human father,
he would be in jail for child abuse[/center]
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 10:33pm On Mar 30, 2009
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.
-Unknown
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 10:46pm On Mar 30, 2009
Are Christians cowards for not attacking taoism?

You come up with the most retarded comparisons, I swear.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bawomolo(m): 10:50pm On Mar 30, 2009
DeReloaded:

You come up with the most retarded comparisons, I swear.

Your claim that Atheists are cowards for not attacking Islam is persecution complex polished with stupidity.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 30, 2009
bawomolo:

Your claim that Atheists are cowards for not attacking Islam is persecution complex polished with stupidity.

lol this post is just a tragic example of the folly of so many ignorant people who piggy back on others to stake their claims.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by huxley(m): 11:27pm On Mar 30, 2009
DeReloaded:

Just to correct matters and throw some light on this issue.  Yes, I have made relative fewer post against Islam under the Huxley pseudonym.  Basically I got sick of having to have new pseudonyms each time I turned my attention to the Mohammedans.  My first account (therationa) was banned after I posted some material critical of the muslims.  The account was banned and all the post were removed.  I then started two other accounts and reposted and they too were banned and the posts removed.  Another account (tpaine) and suspended for some time.  It was at this point that I created the Huxley account, under which I now operate.

I have had about five threads created under Huxley removed from the Islamic section, so you see, their way of dealing with their critics is to remove threads - which is quite frustrating.  That is why I post very infrequently on the Islamic section. It is not that I have no arguments against islam - au contraire.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Bastage: 11:40pm On Mar 30, 2009
I stay away from the Islam forum for this reason:

A forum for Muslims to share their faith. Muslims only please, even the moderators are Muslims.

I find that statement to be extremely unfair and totally biased but unfortunately am well aware that this is not a private forum and that one can be banned for transgressing.

On the few occasions that I have visited that forum, I have found it's occupants to be blinkered, unreasonable and a total waste of time. Show me one post in there today that discusses the events in Lahore - they sweep everything under the carpet.

I never shy away from expressing my distaste for Islam but the cold truth is that I spend most of my time in this forum and therefore it is not a concern in any of the subjects I discuss. But rest assured, I do not avoid it.

That said, claiming that atheists or non-fundamentalist Christians do not hold aspects of Islam in the same contempt with which they view aspects of all other religions is a misleading smokescreen. The fact remains that this is the religion forum and that Christianity is normally the subject under discussion here - not Islam.
The argument that non-fundamentalists only pick on Christianity is illogical.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 11:53pm On Mar 30, 2009
Bastage:

I stay away from the Islam forum for this reason:

I find that statement to be extremely unfair and totally biased but unfortunately am well aware that this is not a private forum and that one can be banned for transgressing.

On the few occasions that I have visited that forum, I have found it's occupants to be blinkered, unreasonable and a total waste of time. Show me one post in there today that discusses the events in Lahore - they sweep everything under the carpet.

I never shy away from expressing my distaste for Islam but the cold truth is that I spend most of my time in this forum and therefore it is not a concern in any of the subjects I discuss. But rest assured, I do not avoid it.

That said, claiming that atheists or non-fundamentalist Christians do not hold aspects of Islam in the same contempt with which they view aspects of all other religions is a misleading smokescreen. The fact remains that this is the religion forum and that Christianity is normally the subject under discussion here - not Islam.
The argument that non-fundamentalists only pick on Christianity is illogical.

But you spent much of your post telling us why you pick on only christianity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Woman Looks For God In Her Husband. And This Is How God Wants It / Mike Bamiloye Shares Story On His 33rd Marital Engagement Anniversary (Photos) / My Journey Into heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.