Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,559 members, 7,812,814 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:45 PM

Greatest Atheist Quotes - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Greatest Atheist Quotes (17315 Views)

Atheist Quotes / Atheist Quotes Of The Day. / Atheist Quotes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 12:25am On Mar 31, 2009
Religion dose three things quite effectively: Divides people, controls people, deludes people.

- Carlespie Mckinney
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 12:34am On Mar 31, 2009
"God himself shows little respect for what is best in the Bible. He commands 'Thou shalt not kill', and then promptly orders the killing of many thousands. Moses condemns human sacrifice but God demands the sacrifice of Isaac and accepts that of Jephthah's daughter. Jesus preaches 'whoever shall say 'you fool!', shall be in danger of hell fire', but shortly after this rages at the Pharisees saying 'you fools!'."
— Prof Carl Lofmark, What is the Bible?

"The theist must present an intelligible description of god. Until he does so, god makes no more sense than unie; both are cognitively empty, and any attempt at proof is logically absurd."
— George H. Smith,

"All religions are sick men's dreams, false — demonstrably false — and pernicious."
— Ibn Warraq

"People go to church for the same reasons they go to a tavern: to stupefy themselves, to forget their misery, to imagine themselves, for a few minutes anyway, free and happy."
— Mikhail Bakunin

"Mosaic Law orders us to kill anyone who worships a different god, kill anyone who worships idols, kill anyone who blasphemes, kill anyone who works on Saturday, kill anyone who dishonors their parents, kill anyone who commits adultery, kill any woman who has sex before marriage, kill anyone who steals a slave, kill anyone who has homosexual sex, and wage genocidal war against any city that allows religious liberty"
- Mikhail Bakunin

"In those parts of the world where learning and science have prevailed, miracles have ceased; but in those parts of it as are barbarous and ignorant, miracles are still in vogue."
— Ethan Allen

"If we go back to the beginning we shall find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that fancy, enthusiasm, or deceit adorned or disfigured them; that weakness worships them; that credulity preserves them, and that custom, respect and tyranny support them in order to make the blindness of men serve its own interests. If ignorance of Nature gave birth to gods, then knowledge of Nature is calculated to destroy them"
— Baron d'Holbach
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bawomolo(m): 12:39am On Mar 31, 2009
lol this post is just a tragic example of the folly of so many ignorant people who piggy back on others to stake their claims.

aren't we humans ignorant of one thing or the other.

"All religions are sick men's dreams, false — demonstrably false — and pernicious."
— Ibn Warraq

i like this one
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by DeReloaded: 12:41am On Mar 31, 2009
l
ol this post is just a tragic example of the folly of so many ignorant people who piggy back on others to stake their claims.

The dude himself is freaking tragic. Naija forum, the two biggest religions are Islam and Christianity, he's bringing up Taoism. Ode.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by cold(m): 12:50am On Mar 31, 2009
All u atheists,beware.FOR IT WERE BETTER TO HAVE NO OPINION OF GOD AT ALL. THAN SUCH AN OPINION AS IS UNWORTHY OF HIM.
FRANCIS BACON
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 12:59am On Mar 31, 2009
"The quest for God is like a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there."
— Anon.

"If you are comfortable with a lie, you will never look for the truth."
— Anon.

"Fear first created the gods."
— George Santayana

"I contend that we are both Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
— Stephen Roberts
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by cold(m): 1:03am On Mar 31, 2009
EVEN IF GOD DID NOT EXIST,IT WOULD BE NECESSARY TO INVENT HIM. EDMUND BURKE
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bawomolo(m): 1:12am On Mar 31, 2009
If people say that atheism is a religion
do they mean that as a compliment or an insult?

Tertullian said "I believe because it is absurd."
Did he mean that
absurdity is a sufficient reason to believe something.
or that the only way to hold an absurd position is by belief.

The best argument against is any religion
is all the other religions
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by cold(m): 1:17am On Mar 31, 2009
A LITTLE PHILOSOPHY INCLINETH MEN'S MIND TO ATHEISM; BUT DEPTH IN PHILOSOPHY BRINGETH MEN'S MINDS ABOUT TO RELIGION. FRANCIS BACON
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 8:47am On Mar 31, 2009
"If this being is omnipotent, then every occurrence, including every human action, every human thought, and every human feeling and aspiration is also His work; how is it possible to think of holding men responsible for their deeds and thoughts before such an almighty Being? In giving out punishment and rewards He would to a certain extent be passing judgment on Himself. How can this be combined with the goodness and righteousness ascribed to Him?"

Albert Einstein

" If it is so impossible for God to establish perfection and everlasting contempt on earth now, then how can we be sure that it will be possible in the after life (heaven); how can we be so sure that another archangel would not try to impeach God or that another Adam and Eve would not eat another forbidden fruit? It happened before, so it is possible that it might happen again."

Ascony

if i were God, i would make all dreams come true
because all things are possible for them that trust in me
If i were God, evil will never rule
and i will make the hearts of men to be how i want it to be
If i were God there will be no beggars on the street
begging for money or maybe some food to eat
and there will be no sorrows and there will be no pain
because if i were God, i will be break all of those chains

Ascony
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 8:48am On Mar 31, 2009
"Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts! He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do? I swear, for his own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel; He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste! Taste, don't swallow! And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off. He's a tight-ass! He's a sadist! He's an absentee landlord! Worship that? Never!"
Al Pacino (in the movie Devil's advocate)
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by cold(m): 8:54am On Mar 31, 2009
AND ALMOST EVERYONE WHEN AGE, DISEASE OR SORROW STRIKE HIM, INCLINES TO THINK THERE IS A GOD OR SOMETHING VERY LIKE HIM. ARTHUR CLOUGH
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:11am On Mar 31, 2009
"In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God.  But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views" -- Albert Einstein

- The Expanded Quotation Einstein, Princeton University Press, page 214.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:25am On Mar 31, 2009
"I see a pattern, but my imagination cannot picture the maker of the pattern. I see a clock, but I cannot envision the clockmaker. The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions, so how can it conceive of a God, before whom a thousand years and a thousand dimensions are as one." - Albert Einstein

- (The Expanded Quotation Einstein, Princeton University Press, page 208).
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by cold(m): 5:48pm On Mar 31, 2009
THOU SHALT HAVE ONE GOD ONLY; WHO WOULD BE AT THE EXPENSE OF TWO? ARTHUR CLOUGH
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bawomolo(m): 6:00pm On Mar 31, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

"In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support of such views"

- The Expanded Quotation Einstein, Princeton University Press, page 214.

Learn how to read, the thread is atheist quotes and not theist quotes you dimwit.

An Atheist is not a person who knows too little about religion. An atheist is a person who knows too much about religion.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by cold(m): 6:03pm On Mar 31, 2009
bawomolo:

Learn how to read, the thread is atheist quotes and not theist quotes you dimwit.

An Atheist is not a person who knows too little about religion. An atheist is a person who knows too much about religion.
No need to get personal,U're getting ur "just desserts".
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 31, 2009
bawomolo:

Learn how to read too, the section is about religion not atheism.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bawomolo(m): 6:12pm On Mar 31, 2009
davidylan:

Learn how to read too, the section is about religion not atheism.

no dude, would i post atheist articles in a thread about what you learnt in church service today?  There is a time and place for everything.

and hurray, the modify button is back
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 6:13pm On Mar 31, 2009
bawomolo:

no dude, would i post atheist articles in a thread about what you learnt in church service today? There is a time and place for everything.

and hurray, the modify button is back

you cant eat your cake and have it. If you complain that olaadegbu's post is inappropriate in an atheist section then i'd wager that this thread itself is inappropriate in a religion section . . . unless of course atheists now consider themselves a religion.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bawomolo(m): 6:19pm On Mar 31, 2009
davidylan:

you cant eat your cake and have it. If you complain that olaadegbu's post is inappropriate in an atheist section then i'd wager that this thread itself is inappropriate in a religion section . . . unless of course atheists now consider themselves a religion.

Atheism means indifference to religion. Atheism is to religion what communism is to capitalism. Polar opposites. I felt his posts weren't appropriate but hey if you guys want us out this bad,
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 6:22pm On Mar 31, 2009
bawomolo:

Atheism means indifference to religion. Atheism is to religion what communism is to capitalism. Polar opposites. I felt his posts weren't appropriate but hey if you guys want us out this bad,

Really? who would have thot that? with the way you guys obsess about religion (infact its safe to say Huxley, mazaje, duduspace and co only exist on the religion pages) i'd have thot atheism meant an affront against christianity.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by bawomolo(m): 6:29pm On Mar 31, 2009
davidylan:

Really? who would have thot that? with the way you guys obsess about religion (infact its safe to say Huxley, mazaje, duduspace and co only exist on the religion pages) i'd have thot atheism meant an affront against christianity.

Isn't everything an affront against Christianity to you. We would just agree to disagree
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 31, 2009
bawomolo:

Isn't everything an affront against Christianity to you. We would just agree to disagree

true. Which is why i'm not sure what you dislike about olaadegbu posting here.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by KAG: 6:53pm On Mar 31, 2009
This one is taken from the late Winace's self-penned eulogy before he died. I still love it. This is a telling quote.

[size=14pt]And for those who think I deserve to be tortured forevermore for sincerely held ideological views that differ from theirs: a hearty "**** You, it's your Hell, you burn in it" will suffice.[/size]

I don't know if the lack of its context affects this one, but as I remember it, I thought it to be one of the funniest and insightful responses to an argument on the old CF (Christian Forums). I seem to recall that the Christian apologist was bent on just posting fallacies, so this was Tenka's response:

Until Christians can convince me that God isn't trying to trick us into believing because he needs followers to come to him willingly so he can eat their souls when they die, I ain't converting to nothing.

- Tenka.

Yet another one I liked from the old CF:

By the actions and choices he has made, the biblical God has demonstrated time and time again that he is not perfect. Throughout the bible, the biblical God `repents' of certain courses of action. On other occasions, the biblical God chooses to act in an entirely arbitrary way "the Esau I have hated" stupidity, among other things, plus the entirity of the bet with Satan over Job.

The `perfection' of the biblical God is the self proclaimed `perfection' of the sociopath, who, because he deems himself perfect, automatically regards everybody else as `imperfect' and is utterly incapable of seeing that he is, if anything more flawed than those whom he passes judgement upon.

- Thinker
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 8:34pm On Mar 31, 2009
davidylan:

the way thou hypocrite is pre occupied with islam leaves me asking and thinking if christianity means an affront against islam.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 8:49pm On Mar 31, 2009
What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence

Christopher Hitchens
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 9:06pm On Mar 31, 2009
"I see a pattern, but my imagination cannot picture the maker of the pattern.  I see a clock, but I cannot envision the clockmaker.  The human mind is unable to conceive of the four dimensions, so how can it conceive of a God, before whom a thousand years and a thousand dimensions are as one." - Albert Einstein

- (The Expanded Quotation Einstein, Princeton University Press, page 208).

Posted on: Today at 10:11:04 AMPosted by: OLAADEGBU 
Insert Quote

"In the view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognise, there are yet people who say there is no God.  But what makes me really angry is that they quote me for support 

i guess oladegbu is trying to prove that einstein wasnt an atheist or that he didnt quote the quotation i pointed out. for ur information einstein was agnostic who thinks that a belief in God is childish.
just read up his RELIGIOUS VIEWS in wikipaedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein#Religious_views

FYI. mind u that einstein was an archaic man so his views on religion doesnt matter as much.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 11:25pm On Mar 31, 2009
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
— Chapman Cohen

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of what he was never reasoned into."
— Jonathan Swift

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true."
— Friedrich Nietzsche

"Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion."
— Lemuel Washburn

"When religion comes in at the door, common sense goes out at the window."
— Lemuel Washburn

"Too much doubt is better than too much credulity."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

"This crime called blasphemy was invented by priests for the purpose of defending doctrines not able to take care of themselves."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

"If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal. If he would follow the teachings of the new, he would be insane."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

When I became convinced that the universe is natural, that all the ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell. The dungeon was flooded with light and all the bolts and bars and manacles became dust. I was no longer a servant, a serf, or a slave. There was for me no master in all the wide world, not even in infinite space. I was free — free to think, to express my thoughts — free to live my own ideal, free to live for myself and those I loved, free to use all my faculties, all my senses, free to spread imagination's wings, free to investigate, to guess and dream and hope, free to judge and determine for myself , I was free! I stood erect and fearlessly, joyously faced all worlds."
— Robert G. Ingersoll, 1896

"People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them."
— Dave Barry

A religious war is like children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend.
— unknown
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 7:32am On Apr 01, 2009
@mazaje
i must tell u man, those quotes are off da hook. I hope our believers here will make something meaningful out of it, especially that one by ingersoll.
But mazaje, is it true that u are muslim? Cos i think i read that from another thread. Please clarify.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by PastorAIO: 10:11am On Apr 01, 2009
THE MADMAN----Have you not heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market place, and cried incessantly: "I seek God! I seek God!"---As many of those who did not believe in God were standing around just then, he provoked much laughter. Has he got lost? asked one. Did he lose his way like a child? asked another. Or is he hiding? Is he afraid of us? Has he gone on a voyage? emigrated?---Thus they yelled and laughed

The madman jumped into their midst and pierced them with his eyes. "Whither is God?" he cried; "I will tell you. We have killed him---you and I. All of us are his murderers. But how did we do this? How could we drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What were we doing when we unchained this earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving? Away from all suns? Are we not plunging continually? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there still any up or down? Are we not straying, as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is not night continually closing in on us? Do we not need to light lanterns in the morning? Do we hear nothing as yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we smell nothing as yet of the divine decomposition? Gods, too, decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

"How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whoever is born after us---for the sake of this deed he will belong to a higher history than all history hitherto."

Here the madman fell silent and looked again at his listeners; and they, too, were silent and stared at him in astonishment. At last he threw his lantern on the ground, and it broke into pieces and went out. "I have come too early," he said then; "my time is not yet. This tremendous event is still on its way, still wandering; it has not yet reached the ears of men. Lightning and thunder require time; the light of the stars requires time; deeds, though done, still require time to be seen and heard. This deed is still more distant from them than most distant stars---and yet they have done it themselves.

It has been related further that on the same day the madman forced his way into several churches and there struck up his requiem aeternam deo. Led out and called to account, he is said always to have replied nothing but: "What after all are these churches now if they are not the tombs and sepulchers of God?"

- Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:02am On Apr 01, 2009
Wow, wow, wow!  I must have touched a nerve here, and this goes on to prove the proverb that says "if a shoe is thrown into a pack of wolves, the one who yelps the most is the one who got hit." (As in the case of bawomolo)  If the thread is about the Greatest Atheist Quotes and Ascony quoted Albert Einstein as an atheist, what is wrong if I quote the father of all scientists that clearly refutes those claims?  Get ready to read more of his quotes from me.  It now seems that Ascony has changed his position and now sees him as an agnostic, let's see some of his quotes and learn from them. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Things You Never Thought God Can Do / A Woman Looks For God In Her Husband. And This Is How God Wants It / My Journey Into heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.