Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,965 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Greatest Atheist Quotes - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Greatest Atheist Quotes (17318 Views)

Atheist Quotes / Atheist Quotes Of The Day. / Atheist Quotes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Recognise: 8:00am On May 09, 2009
Mazaje:

"He who begins by loving Christianity better than truth,

will proceed by loving his own sect or church better than Christianity,

and end in loving himself better than all."

--Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Jagunlabi:

Such a lovely and true quote. My fav. smiley [size=16pt]@^[/size]

[size=16pt]@^[/size]Ditto with me and totally agree . . .

Couldn't say it better than the below . . .

John 14:6:

John 14:6

King James Version (KJV)

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Amplified Bible (AMP)

Jesus said to him, I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except by (through) Me.

Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

Jesus saith to him, `I am the way, and the truth, and the life, no one doth come unto the Father, if not through me;

New International Version - UK (NIVUK)

Jesus answered, I am, the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me.

Contemporary English Version (CEV)

"I am the way, the truth, and the life!" Jesus answered. "Without me, no one can go to the Father.

Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Image123(m): 11:38am On May 09, 2009
Tom Paine was born in England.He lived in the period of christian revivals by John Wesley and George Whitefield.He lived and wrote against God,drawing hearts away from Christ.Tom Paine's words at the hour of death were "O Lord help me! God help me! Jesus Christ help me! O God! What have I done to suffer so much ".then shortly after,he said 'but there is no God '.And then again "yet if there be,what would become of me hereafter? " As the elderly woman who was his attendant left the room,Tom Paine said 'stay with me,for God's sake! for I cannot bear to be left alone.It is hell to be left alone' In terror,his very last words recorded in history were "My God,my God,why has Thou forsaken me?"
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Recognise: 12:01pm On May 09, 2009
Last words of atheists

M.F. Rich: "Terrible horrors hang over my soul! I have given my immortality for gold; and its weight sinks me into a hopeless, helpless Hell!"

Thomas Paine
"I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. O Lord, help me! Christ, help me! . . No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."

Sir Thomas Scott: "Until this moment, I thought there was neither God nor hell; now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty!"

Sir Francis Newport, the head of an English infidel club: "You need not tell me there is no God for I know there is one, and that I am in His presence! You need not tell me there is no hell. I feel myself already slipping. Wretches, cease your idle talk about there being hope for me! I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell!"

The last words of the atheist Mirabeau: "My sufferings are intolerable; I have within me a hundred years of life but not a moment's courage. Give me more laudanum that I may not think of eternity."

Gibbon, the historian, a skeptic: "The present is a fleeting moment, the past is no more, and my prospect of futurity is dark and doubtful."

Caesar Borgia: --- "While I lived, I provided for everything but death; now I must die, and am unprepared to die."

Thomas Hobbs: --- "I say again, if I had the whole world at my disposal, I would give it to live one day. I am about to take a leap into the dark."

Voltaire: --- "I am abandoned by God and man; I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months' life." (He said this to Dr. Fochin, who told him it could not be done.) "Then I shall die and go to hell!"

Robert Ingersoll: --- "O God, if there be a God, save my soul, if I have a soul!" (Some say it was this way: "Oh God, if there be a God, save my soul if I have a soul, from hell, if there be a hell!"wink
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Ascony(m): 1:17pm On May 09, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
chei!! this people sef. i guess u were there when they were all dying abi?
But come to think of it , even if they died realising God exists on their death bed, they still have a chance to heaven , no be so? grin grin grin
deluded freaks angry angry angry
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Recognise: 1:46pm On May 09, 2009
[size=16pt]@^[/size]

Stop getting the hump, lighten up man

besides you might just burst an artery with all that anger & fuming . . .

Bite a chill pill or have a Kit-Kat, naimean? wink wink grin

Of course getting oneself right with God,

is the beginning of the candidacy for the kingdom of Heaven smiley
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 5:32pm On May 09, 2009
Recognise:

Last words of atheists

M.F. Rich: "Terrible horrors hang over my soul! I have given my immortality for gold; and its weight sinks me into a hopeless, helpless Hell!"

Thomas Paine
"I would give worlds if I had them, that The Age of Reason had never been published. O Lord, help me! Christ, help me! . . No, don't leave; stay with me! Send even a child to stay with me; for I am on the edge of Hell here alone. If ever the Devil had an agent, I have been that one."

Sir Thomas Scott: "Until this moment, I thought there was neither God nor hell; now I know and feel that there are both, and I am doomed to perdition by the just judgment of the Almighty!"

Sir Francis Newport, the head of an English infidel club: "You need not tell me there is no God for I know there is one, and that I am in His presence! You need not tell me there is no hell. I feel myself already slipping. Wretches, cease your idle talk about there being hope for me! I know I am lost forever! Oh, that fire! Oh, the insufferable pangs of hell!"

The last words of the atheist Mirabeau: "My sufferings are intolerable; I have within me a hundred years of life but not a moment's courage. Give me more laudanum that I may not think of eternity."

Gibbon, the historian, a skeptic: "The present is a fleeting moment, the past is no more, and my prospect of futurity is dark and doubtful."

Caesar Borgia: --- "While I lived, I provided for everything but death; now I must die, and am unprepared to die."

Thomas Hobbs: --- "I say again, if I had the whole world at my disposal, I would give it to live one day. I am about to take a leap into the dark."

Voltaire: --- "I am abandoned by God and man; I will give you half of what I am worth if you will give me six months' life." (He said this to Dr. Fochin, who told him it could not be done.) "Then I shall die and go to hell!"

Robert Ingersoll: --- "O God, if there be a God, save my soul, if I have a soul!" (Some say it was this way: "Oh God, if there be a God, save my soul if I have a soul, from hell, if there be a hell!"wink

this goes to show how DISHONEST and creepy christians are. . . they will throw all the LIES in the book to keep people in line with LIES and fear. . .@ recognise you have totally discredited yourself with all the LIES you have posted. . .why are you Lying like your fellow christian apologist?. . you visit christian websites that are full of LIES and post the LIES of other christians eh? grin grin. . . .Robert Ingeroll was just saying what christains were saying. . .but your fellow christain apologist took it completely out of context to mean he was saying it from his heart. . .he was only saying what christains were saying. . .just like when you say moslems say allahu akbar. . .does that mean you believe allah is great? by the way Robert Ingersoll wrote those words in his letter to the governor of Illinois at that time when the reublican party wanted him to run for governor on the grounds that he conceals his agnosticism but he refused and wrote the statement in a letter to the governor on the grounds that concealing information from the public was very immoral. those were not his last words as you VERY FALSELY claim . . .as for Voltaire you forgot to mention that Dr. Fochin later confessed that Voltaire never made such a comment to his friend John Nicholas. . .As for Thomas Paine he never said those words. . .Thomas Edison(a christian) was at his  bed when he died and he said that Thomas Paine never said any of those words that his rival Pastor Eric Price said he said his brother in-law also agreed with Thomas Edison that Paine never said what his rival pastor Eric price of Illinois said he said . .Caesar Borgia: wrote those words in a poem. . . they were not his last words stop lying for jesus. . . . I don't know of the rest but i believe they are also christian LIES too. . .what a shame you go to christian apologist websites and take up lies and keep spreading them all over the place. . .  grin grin. . . any way keep lying for jesus he will bless you in heaven when you die. . .  grin grin grin
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 5:49pm On May 09, 2009
"religion is embarrassing to the religious. hence the constant need to keep throwing out LIES and misinformation"

-Mazaje
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:43pm On May 09, 2009
I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world

-Richard Dawkins
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:45pm On May 09, 2009
As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers.

-Robert Ingersoll
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:47pm On May 09, 2009
Faith is the great cop-out the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence.

-Richard Dawkins
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 7:50pm On May 09, 2009
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful.

-Seneca
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Image123(m): 9:07pm On May 09, 2009
@mazaje
you're on the internet,don't be so desperate. Thomas Paine lived during the period of the revival by George Whitefield and John Wesley.Paine was born on 29th January 1737.He died on June 8,1809. About 37 years later ,Thomas Edison was born on 11th February,1847. Edison died on 18th October 1931. Its an atheist miracle, how Edison was at Paine's deathbed. MAZAJE and colleagues,quit lying for the devil.

Antiochus Epiphanes was a terrible personality who had no regard for God.Infact,he was touted to be the Antichrist.He tortured the Jews.Hear his experience. When the Jews rebelled against him,he was so angry that he vowed to make Jerusalem a common burial ground and was determined to march in with his soldiers immediately,but no sooner had he said his vows that he was struck with an incurable plague in his bowels. Worms bred so fast in his body that flakes of flesh dropped from him.The stench of his disease was such that no one could endure to be near him.When he could no longer endure his own smell,he said and I quote "It is meet to submit to God,and for man who is mortal not to set himself in competition with God." So he died miserably in a strange land on the mountains of Pacata near babylon.check your history friends. It pays to serve Jesus.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 11:04pm On May 09, 2009
Image123:

@mazaje
you're on the internet,don't be so desperate. Thomas Paine lived during the period of the revival by George Whitefield and John Wesley.Paine was born on 29th January 1737.He died on June 8,1809. About 37 years later ,Thomas Edison was born on 11th February,1847. Edison died on 18th October 1931. Its an atheist miracle, how Edison was at Paine's deathbed. MAZAJE and colleagues,quit lying for the devil.

what is this?  grin grin so there is only one Thomas Edison that lived in the entire united states eh . . . .by the way did how did you come to the conclusion that i was talking about the same Thomas Edison that lived 37 years after Thomas Paine died   . . . .How is this different from saying that there is only one olusegun obasajo that lives in nigeria? George Washington is known to have a very good friend called Joseph Smith, what if i say that he had a friend called Joseph Smith and you say that i am lying because another Joseph Smith(the founder of the Mormon church) lived long after George Washington died grin grin Knaves and Pastor Eric Price invented all the stories about Thomas Paine and only fools believe them. . . besides the christians emissaries of the church,  that beset him on his death bed pious nurses, bigoted priests, and illiterate laymen there were also others like Thomas Edison,Willet Hicks,William Cobbett who were with him when he died and the said he never recanted his faith they wrote letters that have been documented till date. . .the only thing you have succeeded in doing is displaying you inability to reason and haste to make comments. . .read their accounts in the links below. . . .

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/john_remsburg/six_historic_americans/chapter_1.html

http://www.americangreatesthistoricalfigures.com/thomas_paine.

Antiochus Epiphanes was a terrible personality who had no regard for God.Infact,he was touted to be the Antichrist.He tortured the Jews.Hear his experience. When the Jews rebelled against him,he was so angry that he vowed to make Jerusalem a common burial ground and was determined to march in with his soldiers immediately,but no sooner had he said his vows that he was struck with an incurable plague in his bowels. Worms bred so fast in his body that flakes of flesh dropped from him.The stench of his disease was such that no one could endure to be near him.When he could no longer endure his own smell,he said and I quote "It is meet to submit to God,and for man who is mortal not to set himself in competition with God." So he died miserably in a strange land on the mountains of Pacata near babylon.check your history friends. It pays to serve Jesus.

another christian propaganda. . . . Reverenad Dan Baker is now an atheist so what the hell are you saying? . . .i bet this is another last word of an atheist on his dying bed too grin grin grin. . . . .
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Image123(m): 12:14am On May 10, 2009
You see,thats what happens when you lie.you have to tell another lie to cover up your previous blatant lie and then you'll tell another one and then another. Let me give you a chance to tell some truth,what were pastors and rev.s doing all over TPaine's deathbed? Don't feign unconcern pls. Later on,please meditate on those great quotes that recognise and image123 posted earlier.They do your soul a load of good.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 12:26am On May 10, 2009
Image123:

You see,thats what happens when you lie.you have to tell another lie to cover up your previous blatant lie and then you'll tell another one and then another. Let me give you a chance to tell some truth,what were pastors and rev.s doing all over TPaine's deathbed? Don't feign unconcern pls. Later on,please meditate on those great quotes that recognise and image123 posted earlier.They do your soul a load of good.

you falsely accuse me of lying without pointing out where i lied. . .

"When on his death-bed Paine was beset by emissaries of the church, -- pious nurses, bigoted priests, and illiterate laymen -- who by entreaties and threats tried to compel him to renounce his Deistic and Anti-Christian opinions."

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/john_remsburg/six_historic_americans/chapter_1.html#3
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Recognise: 12:45am On May 10, 2009
[size=16pt]@^[/size] It is easy to be an atheist

when one is successful, in good heaith etc than the contrary is all I'll say for now . . .

Image123:

@Mazaje
You're on the internet, don't be so desperate.

Thomas Paine lived during the period of the revival by George Whitefield and John Wesley. Paine was born on 29th January 1737. He died on June 8,1809.

About 37 years later , Thomas Edison was born on 11th February,1847.

Edison died on 18th October 1931. Its an atheist miracle, how Edison was at Paine's deathbed.

MAZAJE and colleagues, quit lying for the devil.

Antiochus Epiphanes was a terrible personality who had no regard for God. Infact, he was touted to be the Antichrist. He tortured the Jews. Hear his experience. When the Jews rebelled against him, he was so angry that he vowed to make Jerusalem a common burial ground and was determined to march in with his soldiers immediately, but no sooner had he said his vows that he was struck with an incurable plague in his bowels. Worms bred so fast in his body that flakes of flesh dropped from him. The stench of his disease was such that no one could endure to be near him. When he could no longer endure his own smell, he said and I quote "It is meet to submit to God,and for man who is mortal not to set himself in competition with God." So he died miserably in a strange land on the mountains of Pacata near babylon.

Check your history friends. It pays to serve Jesus.

[size=16pt]@^[/size] My brother and fellow lord,

[img]http:///apxj4z[/img] Well spotted, well said and mucho gracias for taking the baton . . .
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 12:55am On May 10, 2009
Recognise:

[size=16pt]@^[/size] It is easy to be an atheist

when you one is succesful, in good heaith etc than the contrary is all I'll say for now . . .

[/size]
[size=16pt]@^
My brother and fellow lord,

[img]http:///apxj4z[/img] Well spotted and thanks for taking the baton . . .

after telling lies for jesus is this all you have to say? you started by saying declaring some of the quotes as Last words of atheists. . .Robert Ingersoll didn't make that statement on his dying bed. . .he made those statements in a letter that was then misinterpreted by christians. . .Caesar Borgia wrote those words in a poem. . . . they were not also his last words. . . by the way he was a devout catholic not an atheist. . .when did catholics become atheist
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 1:30am On May 10, 2009
Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 1:33am On May 10, 2009
Of all the tyrannies that afflict mankind, tyranny in religion has been the worst.

-Thomas Paine
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 1:37am On May 10, 2009
Men never commit evil so fully and joyfully as when they do it for religious convictions

-Blaise Pascal
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 1:39am On May 10, 2009
All religions have been made by men.

-Napoleon Bonaparte
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Image123(m): 12:45pm On May 10, 2009
@recognise
you're welcome brother.I enjoyed that word 'fellow lord'. They don't understand.
@mazaje
infidel.org?must be a reputable site to get 'correct' information for infidels. Stop dodging those great quotes posted by recognise.The point is not whether they were said on deathbeds or alivebeds,the issue is that they probably the greatest words that those people ever spoke given the fact that the fool has said that there is no God.wise up mazaje,we love you and God loves you better.
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Recognise: 9:36pm On May 10, 2009
Image123:

@Recognise
You're welcome brother. I enjoyed that word 'fellow lord'. They don't understand.

@Mazaje
infidel.org? Must be a reputable site to get 'correct' information for infidels. Stop dodging those great quotes posted by Recognise. The point is not whether they were said on deathbeds or alivebeds, the issue is that they probably the greatest words that those people ever spoke given the fact that the fool has said that there is no God. Wise up Mazaje, we love you and God loves you better.

[size=16pt]@^[/size]

Those quotes definitely rattled a cage . . .

I bet the saying "when a shoe is thrown at a pack of dogs

the one that got hit, is the one that yelps"
is true then grin
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by mazaje(m): 10:09pm On May 10, 2009
Recognise:

[size=16pt]@^[/size]

is true then grin

which quotes. . . . grin grin. . . you lied and tagged the quotes as Last words of atheists. . .Caesar Borgia wrote those words in a poem besides he was a catholic not an atheist. . .Thomas Paine never made any such comments. . .Robert Ingersoll wrote it in a letter. . .that was misinterpreted to mean something else. . .so how did your non quotes rattle any cage grin

Image123:

@mazaje
infidel.org?must be a reputable site to get 'correct' information for infidels. Stop dodging those great quotes posted by recognise.The point is not whether they were said on deathbeds or alivebeds,the issue is that they probably the greatest words that those people ever spoke given the fact that the fool has said that there is no God.wise up mazaje,we love you and God loves you better.

did ou bother to read and see the evidence that was given?
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:56pm On Jun 03, 2009
Recognise:

[size=16pt]@^[/size]

is true then grin

This saying highlighted above is not only true but also ties you up in knots and rib splitting laughter.  grin grin grin
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 1:25am On Jun 20, 2009
If the ignorance of nature gave birth to the gods, then knowledge of nature is calculated to destroy them

-Baron D'Holbach
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 1:27am On Jun 20, 2009
Where knowledge ends, religion begins.

-Benjamin Disraeli
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 1:30am On Jun 20, 2009
You believe in a book that has sticks turning into snakes, and you say we are the ones that needs help?

-Dan Barker
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 1:34am On Jun 20, 2009
You can't convince a believer of anything; thier belief is not based on evidence but a deep seated need to believe.

-Carl Sagan
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:56pm On Jun 20, 2009
If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the
worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever.
---------Woody Allen------
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 2:09am On Jun 27, 2009
I am not an atheist "athiest" How can you not believe in something that dose not exist?

-Whitney Brown
Re: Greatest Atheist Quotes by manmustwac(m): 2:11am On Jun 27, 2009
An idea dose not gain truth as it gains followers.

-Amanda bloom

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Woman Looks For God In Her Husband. And This Is How God Wants It / Mike Bamiloye Shares Story On His 33rd Marital Engagement Anniversary (Photos) / My Journey Into heaven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.