Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,417 members, 7,826,605 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary (22689 Views)

President Buhari Explains Why NYSC Is Necessary / 5 Reasons Why NYSC Should Not Be Scrapped / NYSC May Soon Be Voluntary DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by whizqueen(f): 3:20pm On Aug 25, 2015
Jglad:

whizqueen, no vex nah.. u don dey press P ooo.
Well, half d corpers in d program could actually make more than 19,800 but to some people dat money means alot ooo
Lol. I no vex na. cheesy

If them wan extend the scheme to 2 years sef o know some people will love it because of the peanuts undecided angry
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by joseph1832(m): 3:21pm On Aug 25, 2015
Gnen:
in your voice is that allowed. Just yarn rubbish!!
Abeg go blow malo yansh!.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by slap1(m): 3:25pm On Aug 25, 2015
Supported

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Sureboy15: 3:27pm On Aug 25, 2015
whizqueen:
I support!

Make them scrap am jare. It's just a waste of one year of someone's lifetime.

That one year I suppose to sit down for Lagos and expand my business and grow career-wise. person go siddon for one local government for one village like that angry

My teaching skills is 0.00% and you expect me to teach SS3 students and you think they'll pass WAEC grin you go old tongue
U want Federal Goverment to scrap your only way of enjoying the "Common Wealth" right? Who employ the thousands of Staff? What will the young youth start up wit? The Scheme has gone far in developing and empowering our local communities through her CDS projects and gentlemen corps members use dis avenue save for rainning days(sustain themselves till they get some doin),as no parent will happy feeding a 30yr old man or woman.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
WailingWailer00:

Trash!!! undecided, I'm currently serving in Nasarawa state and believe me, NYSC is the best thing that can happen to a graduate, I've made many friends, potential billionaires are in my CDS, learnt new culture, still teaching in a government secondary school. It depends on how you view it, most of us ain't complaining

Did you just say NYSC is the best thing that can happen to a graduate.

I've always thought a Job in NLNG was grin

Poor me cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by amazingqueen(f): 3:39pm On Aug 25, 2015
I know I am commenting late but personally I thank God for NYSC cos that's where I met my husband and it has been really wonderful with him.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by ekmike(m): 3:41pm On Aug 25, 2015
In my opinion, NYSC should not be made voluntary. I have suggest that the NYSC term be reduced to 3 months of intensive training in various skills, such as wire works, tailoring, catering, hair stylist, decorations etc. The reason is that I have seen alot of graduates paying hugely to acquire some of this skills after the search for jobs wasn't successful. This may not be the solution to the problem of unemployment but I believe many will benefit from it.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Dindondin(m): 3:45pm On Aug 25, 2015
taiwolusol:

We will make them!
Almost all your points are valid
Last Bullet
I v a feeling that NYSC ll be voluntary sector later die naturally in future.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Sureboy15: 3:46pm On Aug 25, 2015
whizqueen:
I support!

That one year I suppose to sit down for Lagos and expand my business and grow career-wise. person go siddon for one local government for one village like that angry

My teaching skills is 0.00% and you expect me to teach SS3 students and you think they'll pass WAEC grin you go old tongue
U want Federal Goverment to scrap your only way of enjoying the "Common Wealth" right? Who will employ the thousands of NYSC Staff? What will the young (poor)youth start up wit? The Scheme has gone far in developing and empowering our local communities through her CDS projects and gentlemen corps members use dis avenue save for rainning days(sustain themselves till they get some doin),as no parent will happy feeding a 30yr old man or woman. Nobody is wiser than his/her father,it is established for a purpose which some country are envious of. U may b opportune and fortunate while someone else is striving to serve her country,can u predict what would have happened if not God that protect and guide the world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by DeNoble1(m): 3:50pm On Aug 25, 2015
offspec:
OP if i saw this thread before i went for service, the kind curse i for curse u eh, even satan go pity ur life.
You can say all these because you have passed through it. I could also imagine the enthusiasm in your face the day you stepped your foot in NYSC camp.
OP allow the youngies too to enjoy the scheme like you have done. That yours wasnt useful doesnt mean others will be the same

To me, NYSC took me away from Mummy's care while giving me something to hold on while hunting for job.

During NYSC i had more time i never had in school to learn different skills in preparation for the labour market.

During NYSC, i learnt yoruba language (yes under one year). I understand and speak to a good extent and it goes a long way in building trust and integration with my yoruba brothers

It also made me meet lots of friends who were helpful even after service. I be like "Segun abeg i get interview for lag o". Segun be like "offspec dey come my house naa. My house dey free". And that was a friend i met during my NYSC.

OP advice you should give people is they should try make their service year useful to them and also making good friends.
Lastly, NYSC also improved my confidence as well as my public speaking skills cos i was a "tisha" for one secondary sch and this is very essential for a job hunter grin
Oga read the post again. He said it should be VOLUNTARY not SCRAPED. That you enjoyed yours doesn't mean everybody did. I don't subscribe to the SCRAPING, but it should be made voluntary.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by segxy2015: 3:50pm On Aug 25, 2015
U are luck that u deployed to a nice state n LG n Village,come to Taraba state,where only 1 bank in the whole LG,where there's no place to buy even paper in my village,to mak any transactions or buy anytin wil cost u day and lik 5h tfare,no to talk of religion or different crisis in North, we saw hell during last Election where a electorate wil come to pullin unit with Gun and requesting for 2 ballot paper. Abeg I no wan talk again, I suffered for this NYSC

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by bukster(f): 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2015
As long as our country remains divided then the NYSC program is always necessary. I believe the program should be improved upon so that it would be more useful for graduating students but it shouldn't be made voluntary or scrapped.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by enitey(f): 3:53pm On Aug 25, 2015
whizqueen:
You call it free salary if you don't know your potentials.

I'll definitely earn double if I don't waste my time on NYSC with God's grace.

So what is free when I'll be working? Can 19,800 pay your bills? undecided For me its not even enough for a week

All fingers are not equal
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by mukhcech(m): 3:56pm On Aug 25, 2015
In a country where Jobs are not readily available. The NYSC scheme provides every graduate with an equal opportunity of $19800 per month to self sustain for a year. No I dont agree with your myopic point of view. That allowee is a compulsory dividend to be recieved.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 25, 2015
why not scrap the scheme...
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by castro316: 4:03pm On Aug 25, 2015
taiwolusol:
1. ONLY THE YOUNG PAY THE PRICE, WHY?

Like the song, I have always wanted to be young and free. But to escape the rigor of NYSC, I needed to be a little more than that.
Why is it that only the Young pay the price?
I am 23 Years, apparently if I was just 7 years older, I wouldn’t be going through this Unnecessary Scheme.

How I wish I was Older

2. TO MANY UNCALCULATED RISKS

We Corp Members get involved in Road accidents, Election Violence, Bomb Explosion, Community fight, Religious Fights, Ethnic fights, and so on. It’s pitiable that only a few get noticed.
Our roads are more than bad. Corp Members risk too much when they embark on that 25 Hours long road trip to their state of deployment. Who bears this risk?
We risk too much by living in Adamawa, Sokoto, Maiduguri, Borno, Jos, Abuja, in fact anywhere that have recorded any form of terrorist attach in the last 5 Years.
It’s a pity some of our colleagues have died in road accidents and terrorist attacks.

NYSC is not worth our lives. we want out!

3. MANDATING NYSC INCONSISTENT WITH LIBERAL RIGHTS

The above is too much English. Let me explain in literal terms.
As a citizen, I am expected to be Law-Abiding. I am encouraged (not forced) to vote and to render voluntary service.
The act of Mandating National Youth Service before my rights of citizenship are extended is simply contrary to the purpose for which the country was founded and has endured.

My right to employment and contesting government offices shouldn’t be subject to my NYSC status.

It is wrong. THIS IS WRONG

4. MANDATING NATIONAL SERVICE DRAINS ITS VIRTUE

Why is it called National Youth Service in the first instance? It should be more like “Mandatory National Service”
We have to understand that for an Act to be Patriotic, it has to be voluntary. If it is required, it becomes nothing special.

5. NATIONAL SERVICE DISTRACTS US FROM OUR CAREER

To many of us, the one (1) Year National service is a big distraction to our career. Many of us go through the One year scheme and become rusty intellectual wise. No real challenge, we just sit and teach Primary 2 Kids all year long.

6. INCREASE IN IMMORALITY

Don’t be surprised.
The Service year unfortunately brings out the beast in our Youths as many of us see the NYSC year as a Jolli period where we go at the world. Little wonder there have been recurring cases of Corp Members impregnating their infant students.
But an Idle hand they say is the devil’s workshop.
Are Corp Members That Idle? YES THEY ARE! YES WE ARE!!!

7. WE ARE BAD TEACHERS, BAD ROLE MODELS

All thanks to the government’s questionable posting policy where 90% of corp members nationwide have been confined to the 4 walls of a classroom. Corp members now call the shots in the Nation’s most critical part of the economy.
This leaves the schools, students, parents and community at the mercy of quack, Hot, unfit and unprofessional educators.
Little wonder our students keep failing WAEC.

8. IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE

How much do the government (State and Federal) spend on the seemingly unnecessary Programme.
I might not be so good at mathematics, but I can come with a rough estimate of about #350K on each corp member. Multiply that by close to a hundred thousand graduates that go through the scheme a year and you’ll have a feel of how much money the government is not getting value for.

Tax payer’s money they call it.

9. NYSC SHOULDN’T STOP US FROM LIVING

The above appear far fetched. Well it’s not.
How do you explain your absence at your Father’s burial?
How do you explain missing your own wedding? NYSC Head Count? HELL NO!!!
How do you explain loosing your Job?

That we are young graduates doesn’t mean we don’t have responsibilities. We have aging mothers to take care of; We have a Boy/Girl that calls us Daddy. We have siblings to look after;
We are sorry if we are unwilling to pack our bags to Kebbi. For some of us, Family comes first not the government. SORRY!!!

10. WE ARE TIRED

Tired of the peanut you pay us?
Tired of the ridiculously irritating houses you call NYSC Camps.
Tired of the ridiculous food you serve in camps.
Tired of the uncalculated risks
Tired of the double standards. The rich and famous don’t appear in Camps, they get their Certificates notwithstanding.
Tired of paying your staffs to Influence our Posting
Tired of loosing our Jobs, only to get the NYSC Certificate and start looking for them again.
Tired of Holding only the Young Ransom
We are Indeed Tired of the unnecessary scheme.

cc Seun, Yokiti, CrazyMan, Ogbeche77.

If u don't have anything tangible to say, you can sit down and boil beans.

It's so sad that ppl like you only think about yourselves and that's why nothing good or let me say no satisfaction in serving others

It is ppl like u that a shoe company will send to a town where ppl don't wear shoes and u will say that Hian! Ppl don't wear shoes take me out of here! Whereas u could teach them how to wear shoes and make millions being the first to change their fashion.

Sit up and think brother. Nigeria is a hustling ground where u must be creative to survive esp the opportunity and time that nysc has provided to give youth corpers a start in life.

Presently I am serving in a village Kwali in Abuja nysc batch A 2015 set that means two months into service and I try at my spare time to teach village students for free and I got contact from ppl to teach theirs kids. This gave me confidence continue my private tutor job which I started in Lagos. print fliers and paste now parents call me to teach their children at home. Free time. Weds, fri evenings sat and sunday, iteach them at good pay and by the end of next month I will be receiving triple my fed allowance from extra lessons alone.
Further more I also sell CBT softwares which I plan to go at state level. It is thru teaching that I got in contact with the secretary to the educational body in kwali who might propel my sale of the software and nowii am going to different place I naturally cannot enter without my khaki.
So I encourage you not to criticize this program nysc without looking at it from the angle of a hustler.

I saw in camp that while trainers tought ppl at SAED prog (skills acquisition Entrepreneuership development) ppl are busy looking and girls asses and catch new babes. None remembered that those programs are helpful to those who might not get job after service, later they will come out and talk like you. Pls freedom of speech is guaranteed but u need to think from all angles before u critize. Look at ur statements all gearing at what will please you and only u.
Next time think about how u can serve your country and you will be rewarded one day.

NYSC: SERVICE AND HUMILITY!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by castro316: 4:21pm On Aug 25, 2015
That's me.

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Sweetlemon(f): 4:37pm On Aug 25, 2015
offspec:
OP if i saw this thread before i went for service, the kind curse i for curse u eh, even satan go pity ur life.
You can say all these because you have passed through it. I could also imagine the enthusiasm in your face the day you stepped your foot in NYSC camp.
OP allow the youngies too to enjoy the scheme like you have done. That yours wasnt useful doesnt mean others will be the same

To me, NYSC took me away from Mummy's care while giving me something to hold on while hunting for job.

During NYSC i had more time i never had in school to learn different skills in preparation for the labour market.

During NYSC, i learnt yoruba language (yes under one year). I understand and speak to a good extent and it goes a long way in building trust and integration with my yoruba brothers

It also made me meet lots of friends who were helpful even after service. I be like "Segun abeg i get interview for lag o". Segun be like "offspec dey come my house naa. My house dey free". And that was a friend i met during my NYSC.

OP advice you should give people is they should try make their service year useful to them and also making good friends.
Lastly, NYSC also improved my confidence as well as my public speaking skills cos i was a "tisha" for one secondary sch and this is very essential for a job hunter grin

kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by funmo(m): 4:51pm On Aug 25, 2015
taiwolusol

hahahaha! you have never loved this thing since primary school
president anti-NYSC campaign
I get it I get it!.. Nice Cons outlined... should I do a rebuttal?
but no need... lolz! enjoy your service joor!
na me talk say make you reject that November batch?
me wey no go go till next year February nko?
at least NYSC excuse is making me stay at home and drawing a great plan!

take heart brother!!! this too will end!!!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Kristokx(m): 4:54pm On Aug 25, 2015
It should be reformed if u get 100k am sure we would all to serve doubles
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 25, 2015
Kristokx:
It should be reformed if u get 100k am sure we would all to serve doubles

You know this. grin

Funmo

Na you fit understand o. Your nigga is really frustrated.
I've travelled close to a thousand KMs (if not more) all in the name of Head Count.
Thanks for opening my eyes though wink
This too will pass!
Thank you sir

Taiwoliu
I dey fear for your post oo grin
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 25, 2015
DeNoble1:
Oga read the post again. He said it should be VOLUNTARY not SCRAPED. That you enjoyed yours doesn't mean everybody did. I don't subscribe to the SCRAPING, but it should be made voluntary.
So that when you get tired or a job somewhere in the middle you can just opt out abi? Such things are not suppose to be made voluntary. Else the system will be totally disorganised and doomed!
James go do for two weeks remember say e keep wife for house
Amaka go do for one month say she don tire after all it is voluntary
NYSC LGI go make Sandra vex sandra go opt out.
PPA go make Seun vex Seun go go hang khaki.
You reason am na
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by fabem(m): 5:18pm On Aug 25, 2015
I'm enjoying my service right now. Is your mentality that matters. I have even gone for like 3 interviews in the state just 3 months that i started my service. I went for those interview just to keep myself busy and i know nothing about the state when i arrived. One of the company mail me saying i should resume with them after service. Tell people how to make good use of it not discouraging them. I'm still going for more interview especially targeting those oil company with connections on the way. I rep Delta corper. #fabem

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by castro316: 5:45pm On Aug 25, 2015
fabem:
I'm enjoying my service right now. Is your mentality that matters. I have even gone for like 3 interviews in the state just 3 months that i started my service. I went for those interview just to keep myself busy and i know nothing about the state when i arrived. One of the company mail me saying i should resume with them after service. Tell people how to make good use of it not discouraging them. I'm still going for more interview especially targeting those oil company with connections on the way. I rep Delta corper. #fabem

Correct guy. Your brain dey there.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by ADENIKETINA2015(f): 5:46pm On Aug 25, 2015
whizqueen:
I support!

Choi! The bitter TRUTH
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by ifeoluwa49(f): 5:49pm On Aug 25, 2015
NYSC indeed. Will never 4get d joy I last during dat year.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Ghost01(m): 5:56pm On Aug 25, 2015
The experience was nourishing, though back then it seemed frustrating. While I agree that it should be made voluntary, we also should not forget that the NYSC scheme has played a huge role in the little integration we've had so far in our national history. But then, even basic economics shows that the programme can't be sustained for long, if they keep insisting that it should be made compulsory.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by castro316: 5:57pm On Aug 25, 2015
Nysc sef has given some who never had the opportunity to travel to another entirely different culture, terrain or tourist attraction like me. Meet new ppl and somehow changed my mentality of Hausa ppl. They are good ppl too although I hear a different view abt them from where I come.

Nysc has connected women to their husbands, given some too jobs and given ppl like me a life time opportunity to soar in greatness.

Nysc has made some who were generally weak or myopic stronger.

It will also make some too get their connection of a life time.

Imagine me getting 2 hectares(200mx200m) of land to plant tomatoes and egusi free of charge for one full year

I don't know about u o but me hmm m smiling.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 25, 2015
fabem:

Thank God you have gone for 3 Interviews in such little window.

What about some of us that are serving in placing without any reasonable company? What do we do?

I'm sorry if you feel my post is discouraging. It was never my intent. I was just spelling out already obvious facts.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by shankie: 6:02pm On Aug 25, 2015
all u write is rubbish bro, so pipu don get invlove in car accident wen in sch or after service abi, abeg find somethin else to post

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 Corps Members In Taraba to repeat Service Year For Misconduct / Kano Corpers Feed 50 Amajiri Children On Valentine's Day (Photos) / Buhari Offers Employment, Scholarship To 110 NYSC Honours Awardees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.