Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,042 members, 7,825,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary (22685 Views)

President Buhari Explains Why NYSC Is Necessary / 5 Reasons Why NYSC Should Not Be Scrapped / NYSC May Soon Be Voluntary DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 25, 2015
offspec:
So that when you get tired or a job somewhere in the middle you can just opt out abi? Such things are not suppose to be made voluntary. Else the system will be totally disorganised and doomed!
James go do for two weeks remember say e keep wife for house
Amaka go do for one month say she don tire after all it is voluntary
NYSC LGI go make Sandra vex sandra go opt out.
PPA go make Seun vex Seun go go hang khaki.
You reason am na

Your interpretation of voluntary is shocked
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by castro316: 6:08pm On Aug 25, 2015
Sasallau:
Am expecting to serve in batch B 2015 and the Op is scaring the mass out of my momentum. All I may have left is V-square in the home direction.

Yo brother come join let us make wealth together. It also depends where they post you. I will give u feed back later.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by castro316: 6:11pm On Aug 25, 2015
WailingWailer00:

Trash!!! undecided, I'm currently serving in Nasarawa state and believe me, NYSC is the best thing that can happen to a graduate, I've made many friends, potential billionaires are in my CDS, learnt new culture, still teaching in a government secondary school. It depends on how you view it, most of us ain't complaining

Govt secondary sch? Bro where were you posted to in nassarawa? thats cool.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 25, 2015
taiwolusol:

Your interpretation of voluntary is shocked
I'm yet to see your own interpretation undecided
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Rosemary216(f): 6:18pm On Aug 25, 2015
joseph1832:

If you were posted to serve in Lagos, will you be agreeing with her? Preferably a bank with a very high chance that you'll be retained.
hmmmmmm
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Kylexy3000(m): 6:18pm On Aug 25, 2015
offspec:
OP if i saw this thread before i went for service, the kind curse i for curse u eh, even satan go pity ur life.
You can say all these because you have passed through it. I could also imagine the enthusiasm in your face the day you stepped your foot in NYSC camp.
OP allow the youngies too to enjoy the scheme like you have done. That yours wasnt useful doesnt mean others will be the same

To me, NYSC took me away from Mummy's care while giving me something to hold on while hunting for job.

During NYSC i had more time i never had in school to learn different skills in preparation for the labour market.

During NYSC, i learnt yoruba language (yes under one year). I understand and speak to a good extent and it goes a long way in building trust and integration with my yoruba brothers

It also made me meet lots of friends who were helpful even after service. I be like "Segun abeg i get interview for lag o". Segun be like "offspec dey come my house naa. My house dey free". And that was a friend i met during my NYSC.

OP advice you should give people is they should try make their service year useful to them and also making good friends.
Lastly, NYSC also improved my confidence as well as my public speaking skills cos i was a "tisha" for one secondary sch and this is very essential for a job hunter grin

You make sense..while reading,i was like na so e worst reach,is it only NYSC corp members that get involved in accidents,it can happen to anyone...Don't mind them fools..because they waste their 1 year doesn't mean we will waste ours too...awon oniranu
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by nkemjacob2(m): 6:25pm On Aug 25, 2015
Ur points mostly some of them are baseless. I dont c y u shud nt serve ur father's land after graduation. Is Good u serve ur fathers land. And b proud of it. Area i will want govt to strenghtening is the aspect of eleminating all forms of corrupt practises. Create good means of encouraging the youth, 2 practise their fields of study or their desired studies. In a firm. Where they can get practical knowledge. D sole idea of establishing NYSC was integration. And u no nigeria is mutli- ethnic. Society. U meet people, u make friends with them, u c different culture and styles. U mingle wit dem, u develop friendship, u c pple gettin married(lol). Dont only c d bad part. If NYSC is well polished u will love it.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 25, 2015
Kylexy3000:

You make sense..while reading,i was like na so e worst reach,is it only NYSC corp members that get involved in accidents,it can happen to anyone...Don't mind them fools..because they waste their 1 year doesn't mean we will waste ours too...awon oniranu
No mind dem
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by KSAfolabi(m): 6:41pm On Aug 25, 2015
Nigerian meaning of NYSC - Now Your Struggle Continue

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Rosemary216(f): 6:43pm On Aug 25, 2015
DeeTus:
Hahahahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy

You want to kill me with laughter cheesy cheesy
kikikikikikikiki cheesy
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by WailingWailer00(m): 6:44pm On Aug 25, 2015
castro316:

Govt secondary sch? Bro where were you posted to in nassarawa? thats cool.
Government secondary school, Mararaba, Karu. Those secondary school babes just dey crush on their handsome Corper anyhow grin
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Rosemary216(f): 6:44pm On Aug 25, 2015
kaeforum:

THIS TALK IS UNNECESSARY, CALL TO SERVE ONES COUNTRY FOR 1 YR AFTER WHICH YOU PURSUE ANY ENDEAVOR YOU WANT.

SOME PEOPLE NEVER LEFT THEIR STATES OF ORIGIN, SINCE BIRTH, ONLY THRU NYSC THEY EXPERIENCE HOW ANOTHER STATE LOOKS LIKE, BRAODEN THEIR HORIZONS, AND HAVE A COMPLETELY NEW PERSPECTIVE OF THEIR COUNTRY AS THEY ARE EXPOSED TO NEW CULTURES, ENVIRONMENTS, LANGUAGE AND PEOPLE.

I CHALLENGE YOU TO HAVE A RETHINK.
ok ooo.. I undastood u jst spoke ur own opinion!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by babsdeen(m): 6:45pm On Aug 25, 2015
taiwolusol:
1. ONLY THE YOUNG PAY THE PRICE, WHY?

Like the song, I have always wanted to be young and free. But to escape the rigor of NYSC, I needed to be a little more than that.
Why is it that only the Young pay the price?
I am 23 Years, apparently if I was just 7 years older, I wouldn’t be going through this Unnecessary Scheme.

How I wish I was Older

2. TO MANY UNCALCULATED RISKS

We Corp Members get involved in Road accidents, Election Violence, Bomb Explosion, Community fight, Religious Fights, Ethnic fights, and so on. It’s pitiable that only a few get noticed.
Our roads are more than bad. Corp Members risk too much when they embark on that 25 Hours long road trip to their state of deployment. Who bears this risk?
We risk too much by living in Adamawa, Sokoto, Maiduguri, Borno, Jos, Abuja, in fact anywhere that have recorded any form of terrorist attach in the last 5 Years.
It’s a pity some of our colleagues have died in road accidents and terrorist attacks.

NYSC is not worth our lives. we want out!

3. MANDATING NYSC INCONSISTENT WITH LIBERAL RIGHTS

The above is too much English. Let me explain in literal terms.
As a citizen, I am expected to be Law-Abiding. I am encouraged (not forced) to vote and to render voluntary service.
The act of Mandating National Youth Service before my rights of citizenship are extended is simply contrary to the purpose for which the country was founded and has endured.

My right to employment and contesting government offices shouldn’t be subject to my NYSC status.

It is wrong. THIS IS WRONG

4. MANDATING NATIONAL SERVICE DRAINS ITS VIRTUE

Why is it called National Youth Service in the first instance? It should be more like “Mandatory National Service”
We have to understand that for an Act to be Patriotic, it has to be voluntary. If it is required, it becomes nothing special.

5. NATIONAL SERVICE DISTRACTS US FROM OUR CAREER

To many of us, the one (1) Year National service is a big distraction to our career. Many of us go through the One year scheme and become rusty intellectual wise. No real challenge, we just sit and teach Primary 2 Kids all year long.

6. INCREASE IN IMMORALITY

Don’t be surprised.
The Service year unfortunately brings out the beast in our Youths as many of us see the NYSC year as a Jolli period where we go at the world. Little wonder there have been recurring cases of Corp Members impregnating their infant students.
But an Idle hand they say is the devil’s workshop.
Are Corp Members That Idle? YES THEY ARE! YES WE ARE!!!

7. WE ARE BAD TEACHERS, BAD ROLE MODELS

All thanks to the government’s questionable posting policy where 90% of corp members nationwide have been confined to the 4 walls of a classroom. Corp members now call the shots in the Nation’s most critical part of the economy.
This leaves the schools, students, parents and community at the mercy of quack, Hot, unfit and unprofessional educators.
Little wonder our students keep failing WAEC.

8. IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE

How much do the government (State and Federal) spend on the seemingly unnecessary Programme.
I might not be so good at mathematics, but I can come with a rough estimate of about #350K on each corp member. Multiply that by close to a hundred thousand graduates that go through the scheme a year and you’ll have a feel of how much money the government is not getting value for.

Tax payer’s money they call it.

9. NYSC SHOULDN’T STOP US FROM LIVING

The above appear far fetched. Well it’s not.
How do you explain your absence at your Father’s burial?
How do you explain missing your own wedding? NYSC Head Count? HELL NO!!!
How do you explain loosing your Job?

That we are young graduates doesn’t mean we don’t have responsibilities. We have aging mothers to take care of; We have a Boy/Girl that calls us Daddy. We have siblings to look after;
We are sorry if we are unwilling to pack our bags to Kebbi. For some of us, Family comes first not the government. SORRY!!!

10. WE ARE TIRED

Tired of the peanut you pay us?
Tired of the ridiculously irritating houses you call NYSC Camps.
Tired of the ridiculous food you serve in camps.
Tired of the uncalculated risks
Tired of the double standards. The rich and famous don’t appear in Camps, they get their Certificates notwithstanding.
Tired of paying your staffs to Influence our Posting
Tired of loosing our Jobs, only to get the NYSC Certificate and start looking for them again.
Tired of Holding only the Young Ransom
We are Indeed Tired of the unnecessary scheme.

cc Seun, Yokiti, CrazyMan, Ogbeche77.

This is an article of life! Evergreen! You've really spit life into us and we will make them listen to our VOICE - the VOICE of Nigeria youths! Voice of emancipation from the hands of quack Local Government Inspectors et al!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by castro316: 6:52pm On Aug 25, 2015
WailingWailer00:

Government secondary school, Mararaba, Karu. Those secondary school babes just dey crush on their handsome Corper anyhow grin

Let's talk biz bro here is my number.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by airsaylongcon: 7:25pm On Aug 25, 2015
Nobody who has served at NYSC wants the programme cancelled. Prior to serving I don't see what would have ever connected me with an ibo person despite the fact that I'm from a state that is bounded by an eastern state and my village is next door to a village that speaks a remote ibo dialect. One year serving in a non-iron state surrounded by igbos and I will not trade it for anything else. I have a proper understanding of them and their culture and how to deal with them. I studied in the south West and understand yoruba very well. Understand ibo only just thanks to nysc
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by RAKITIC: 8:10pm On Aug 25, 2015
I guess some people on this thread dont understand simple english. The op said it should be VOLUNTARY not SCRAPED if you want to go no problem just dont make it COMPULSORY

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 8:30pm On Aug 25, 2015
RAKITIC:
I guess some people on this thread dont understand simple english. The op said it should be VOLUNTARY not SCRAPED if you want to go no problem just dont make it COMPULSORY

God bless you Sir.

People like airsaylongcon doesn't seem to though.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 8:33pm On Aug 25, 2015
WailingWailer00:

See what I just talked about here!

Terrible Role Models!
Getting excited that your students are crushing on you.
Terrible!!! sad
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by mbulela: 8:37pm On Aug 25, 2015
rationalmind:
We seem to have something in common which is inherent hatred for the NYSC scheme. cheesy

I have never seen anything good in NYSC. I hate every second, minute, hour and day I spent in NYSC camp. I even hate to remember the experience.

Unfortunately, no matter how we ask for it to be scrapped or at least made voluntary, NYSC will remain. Several people at the top benefit directly from the scheme
I doubt anyone dislikes this pointless program like me.
A conduit for waste of scarce national resources.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 25, 2015
nkemjacob2:
Ur points mostly some of them are baseless. I dont c y u shud nt serve ur father's land after graduation. Is Good u serve ur fathers land. And b proud of it. Area i will want govt to strenghtening is the aspect of eleminating all forms of corrupt practises. Create good means of encouraging the youth, 2 practise their fields of study or their desired studies. In a firm. Where they can get practical knowledge. D sole idea of establishing NYSC was integration. And u no nigeria is mutli- ethnic. Society. U meet people, u make friends with them, u c different culture and styles. U mingle wit dem, u develop friendship, u c pple gettin married(lol). Dont only c d bad part. If NYSC is well polished u will love it.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of Bad news dear, but all the post right there are very valid.

The NYSC scheme is not polished, so I hate it. wholeheartedly!
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 25, 2015
Kylexy3000:

Be sure your understand the meaning of waste here, because it will shock you that the people you call fools are getting far more value out of their service year.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by airsaylongcon: 8:49pm On Aug 25, 2015
taiwolusol:

God bless you Sir.

People like airsaylongcon doesn't seem to though.

Please can you tell me one place in d world were national service is voluntary. I really would like to know
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 9:01pm On Aug 25, 2015
airsaylongcon:

Please can you tell me one place in d world were national service is voluntary. I really would like to know

I will do better than that.

I will tell you a hundred countries without National Service
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by inimitkel(m): 9:02pm On Aug 25, 2015
NYSC is a planet of Xperience, it all depends on how you want your service to be like. Its been nostalgic with the likes of NCCF that made my service memorable with periodical state conferences, one time national conference & rural ruggeds.
I also enjoyed the roles I played during the electoral period & other petty contributions. I think it's only undoing is the massive posting of corpers' to schools.
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Harfisco(m): 9:05pm On Aug 25, 2015
offspec:
OP if i saw this thread before i went for service, the kind curse i for curse u eh, even satan go pity ur life.
You can say all these because you have passed through it. I could also imagine the enthusiasm in your face the day you stepped your foot in NYSC camp.
OP allow the youngies too to enjoy the scheme like you have done. That yours wasnt useful doesnt mean others will be the same

To me, NYSC took me away from Mummy's care while giving me something to hold on while hunting for job.

During NYSC i had more time i never had in school to learn different skills in preparation for the labour market.

During NYSC, i learnt yoruba language (yes under one year). I understand and speak to a good extent and it goes a long way in building trust and integration with my yoruba brothers

It also made me meet lots of friends who were helpful even after service. I be like "Segun abeg i get interview for lag o". Segun be like "offspec dey come my house naa. My house dey free". And that was a friend i met during my NYSC.

OP advice you should give people is they should try make their service year useful to them and also making good friends.
Lastly, NYSC also improved my confidence as well as my public speaking skills cos i was a "tisha" for one secondary sch and this is very essential for a job hunter grin

Nice one there

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by pacific05(m): 9:08pm On Aug 25, 2015
It Should Be voluntary........because of nysc I should leave my business to fold up then later dey look for job......I want to redeploy anybody with sure link pls share! Nothing on the nysc site abt redeployment
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by WailingWailer00(m): 9:23pm On Aug 25, 2015
taiwolusol:

See what I just talked about here!

Terrible Role Models!
Getting excited that your students are crushing on you.
Terrible!!! sad
Jealousy, who cares undecided undecided
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by innocent1(m): 9:27pm On Aug 25, 2015
You are on point. But yet you and the OP are still saying the same thing. The OP said NYSC should be. And not mandatory. And I support that. This is because it can never fa everybody.

offspec:

Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Revolva(m): 9:38pm On Aug 25, 2015
I ll be d last person to do NYSC on earth
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 25, 2015
innocent1:
You are on point. But yet you and the OP are still saying the same thing. The OP said NYSC should be. And not mandatory. And I support that. This is because it can never fa everybody.

Before anyone says something should be voluntary, it means he is not in support of it.
Somethings are better left be or totally scrapped and NYSC is such thing.
NYSC is not suppose to be made voluntary at all. Else the system will be totally disorganised and doomed! Imagine it is made voluntary...
So when you get tired or got a new job somewhere in the middle you can just opt out abi? Yes you can. It is voluntary.
James go do for two weeks remember say e keep wife for house ihn go quit.
Amaka go do for one month say she don tire after all it is voluntary.
NYSC LGI go make Sandra vex sandra go opt out.
PPA go make Seun vex Seun go go hang khaki.
You sef reason am na
Re: 10 Reasons Why Nysc Should Be Voluntary by airsaylongcon: 10:28pm On Aug 25, 2015
taiwolusol:

I will do better than that.

I will tell you a hundred countries without National Service

I think you are missing my point. I agree there are loads of countries that haven't got national service. My point is that every country that has national service makes it compulsory. If u r arguing that NYSC should be scrapped that's a different thing. But as long as we have it, we must keep it compulsory or its aim (uniting Nigerians) will be defeated

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3 Corps Members In Taraba to repeat Service Year For Misconduct / Kano Corpers Feed 50 Amajiri Children On Valentine's Day (Photos) / Buhari Offers Employment, Scholarship To 110 NYSC Honours Awardees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.