Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,236 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana (39070 Views)

NOI POLL: Nigerians Rate Osinbajo Higher Than Buhari / We Fought Corruption Without Making Noise – jonathan / Reuben Abati Reveals Biggest Wars Jonathan Fought In Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by nijanigga: 12:49pm On Aug 25, 2015
Keepshining:
Falana a confused man from the time immemorial.
dementia is setting in for falana

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by TIMEISWISDOM(m): 12:49pm On Aug 25, 2015
AnanseK:

"....a matter of fact, the Governor who is a member of the National Economic Council, NEC, made further disclosures revealing that under the watch of Okonjo-Iweala, the Federal Government spent the sum of N140billion on consultancy for the Second Niger bridge. He said the money was sourced from the Sovereign Wealth Fund, SWF, illegally, asserting that the Igbos must hold the former President responsible since such amount was expended with no bridge on ground. - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/nigerians-will-pelt-jonathan-stones-if-oshiomhole/#sthash.4mnjlD3E.biwroUkm.dpuf...."
AnanseK:

"....a matter of fact, the Governor who is a member of the National Economic Council, NEC, made further disclosures revealing that under the watch of Okonjo-Iweala, the Federal Government spent the sum of N140billion on consultancy for the Second Niger bridge. He said the money was sourced from the Sovereign Wealth Fund, SWF, illegally, asserting that the Igbos must hold the former President responsible since such amount was expended with no bridge on ground. - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/nigerians-will-pelt-jonathan-stones-if-oshiomhole/#sthash.4mnjlD3E.biwroUkm.dpuf...."
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by yusufobinna1(m): 12:50pm On Aug 25, 2015
Op u can lie oooooo, I watched this life on channels and I believe any other person that watch it can testify.falana said and I quote"even jonathan fight corruption the best way he can".so the even statement in the speech makes one believe he just doesn't want to ridicule jonathan.so please don't spread fake news.Daaluu ooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 25, 2015
olayinkaj2:
But this man was part of those that was criticizing GEJ then, why change the tune now?

That's the question we're asking.

Why NOW?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by pBuhari(f): 12:50pm On Aug 25, 2015
I hope they believe Falana
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Kx: 12:50pm On Aug 25, 2015
anonimi:

Is that what you recommend for Fash'OLE

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2776311_borehole_jpeg6982552b3aa8ea67bec1da4c0172b398

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2776329_lagosprojects2_jpega666e650b9fc5a14f04fa6a8ba0d8a3d

[size=18pt]If Fash was my father, I would strongly recommend same for him.[/size]
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Kaybee14(m): 12:51pm On Aug 25, 2015
The way forward is the most important thing here. God bless Nigeria.

CLICK ON MY SIGNATURE BELOW TO VIEW SOME OF OUR QUALITY STONE COATED ROOFING TILES PROJECTS.
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by anonimi: 12:52pm On Aug 25, 2015
Kx:
If Fash was my father, [size=18pt]I would[/size] strongly recommend same for him.

Please save us your big but EMPTY vocabulary and grammar.
Simply tell us- have you (past tense)

If yes, please provide link of where you DID.
Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by SeverusSnape(m): 12:52pm On Aug 25, 2015
dearpreye:
Hmmm! Sensible and unemotional Nigerians knew these all along.

GEJ didn't really believe in jailing ONE person as he did in creating institutions that will make corruption difficult to thrive.

The zombies didn't even believe it when Transparency International gave his administration an improved outlook in corruption matters, thanks to the propaganda megaphone from the zombies party.

Unfortunately, like the stiffnecked Jews who didn't bother to really understand what Pontus Pilate was saying about Jesus Christ, they shouted CRUCIFY HIM.

Our people, occasioned by the primitive military regime of the past, only believe corruption can be fought by simply jailing and possibly killing offenders.

BTW, why is Falana saying these NOW?
Sir. This is wonderful, you nailed it!

The truth is coming out gradually, albeit from a Jonathan critic. But I know the nairaland resident zombies won't like this news.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Adminisher: 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2015
There is no civilised way of fighting corruption. They just throw them in prison and recover money. In China it is death.
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 25, 2015
SeverusSnape:

The truth is coming out gradually, albeit from a Jonathan critic. But I know the nairaland resident zombies won't like this news.

The zombies can't think for themselves anymore. PMB has them well under a spell.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by richie9093(m): 12:56pm On Aug 25, 2015
Pascal181:
Yorubas are d problem of dis country! Say something 2day,deny it 2moro. Was it nt dsame man dat culminated himself with condeming any step/action by d 4ma president? Look young man,we will not be fooled again!

Wetin yorubas gats do with this talk tori olorun? You tribalistic bigotted fools are the problem of this country. How are you different from the xenophobes in south africa or racist white people in eastern europe. Let us wake and unite. United States is as strong as they are today because the majority of the population (whites, blacks, hispanics) are united.

Wake up, foool and help this country be great. Your Biafra is an utopia its never going to happen and even if it does, it will just be like South Sudan and go back into civil war.

A word is enough for the wise.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Otunbatrafford: 12:56pm On Aug 25, 2015
Mr Falana, we are seeing the effects of Jonathan's fight against corruption. If all the looting of the treasury by Jonathan and his gang is what you called a fight against corruption, then I make bold to say that you are the greatest fool on earth. You want PMB to treat those who looted massively, with kid gloves so that you can call that civility right?
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Nobody: 12:57pm On Aug 25, 2015
Having seen the video, I'm more interested in his words about there being different rules for the rich and poor when fighting corruption. It is so true, and we have to stand up for the poor, to make sure everyone gets equal treatment from law enforcement agencies. We all have a right to dignity of person and not the rich alone.
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by klax(m): 12:58pm On Aug 25, 2015
Unsad:
Falana, a typical Yoruba. Curse yesterday and bless today. Smh.
I've always said it that GEJ would be praised when he leaves office by the same Nigerians who cursed him. I miss you GEJ, even though PMB is way better.

God bless Bro honestly Gej was not all that bad as people term him.to be that man Gej I just personally like him, he tried his best as a gentleman with good mind only it never work well for him. Gej has done his bit and i respect him for that.

One way or the other the truth will surface one good day about Gej effort to put Nigeria on track but blocked by some pretending clowns. God bless

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Markfedel(m): 12:59pm On Aug 25, 2015
beta talk
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Adminisher: 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Building institutions will not kill corruption. It does something worse. It institutionalises it. Like British type of corruption. To be honest , Jonathan had no policy towards corruption and all of you know it . All these after the fact suppositions are just to put credit him with ideas that never came to his mind. All Jonathan did on corruption was reactive.. after serious , very stinging, reputation damaging criticisms from Nigerians. Indeed his only failure was corruption. He would have been given five terms if he had fought it, probed Obj, IBB and Abdusalami and cleaned up Nigerian politics. That would have been the TRANSFORMATION AGENDA instead of mundane stuff like seasonal roads, half completed airport terminals and a minor part of a refurbished 100 year old railway
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by stinggy(m): 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2015
Unsad:
I've always said it that GEJ would be praised when he leaves office by the same Nigerians who cursed him. I miss you GEJ, even though PMB is way better.
This is where having reasonable conversation with some of you guys is impossible.

That he supported Buhari before election doesn't mean he can't fault his moves.
Yorubas do not blindly follow and support all your actions just because they like you. Where you excel, they praise you. Where you err, they chastise you!
Not blind follow follow mentality come woe come weal some of you empty heads carry around.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by ledaman: 1:01pm On Aug 25, 2015
what do u expect from an old punk like falana?
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by 9jii(m): 1:03pm On Aug 25, 2015
moshino:

You need to get your head out of your rear end and acknowledge the facts. You can support whomever you like, but facts remain facts, just like Falana just stated them.
I just said stealing isn't corruption. And u de vex.smh
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Positiveminds(m): 1:03pm On Aug 25, 2015
Why would Falana be picking his nose on a live show? Old habits die hard!

The truth is that many more people will in the near future testify that Goodluck Ebele Jonathan did his best for this nation. I have always know that the whole noise from APC leaders and their followers was all borne out of greed for power. It was all hoax.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by gabicon: 1:05pm On Aug 25, 2015
It will be uncharitable to say Gej didn't contribute to the development of Nigeria, but one thing I have inferred from all the high profile thefts in his government is that GEJ corruption proof the kobo but fortified the corruption of the naira.
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by BannedOtherView: 1:05pm On Aug 25, 2015
Unsad:

Shut your putrid mouth! Falana appraised all preceding administrations and not just Jonathan's, in that interview.
It is of course no surprise that @OP went to town with his own head-line, which puts a different spin on things. The is what is expected of all those signed up to Jonathan's cult of personality.

For more objective commentators, here is a proper account of the same interview:

Anti-corruption War: Falana Tasks Prosecution Agencies On Proper Investigation

A Nigerian lawyer has stressed the need for prosecuting agencies to aid the fight against corruption by doing a more serious job and “not rushing cases to court without proper investigation”.

Mr Femi Falana was giving his opinion on the efforts of the Muhammadu Buhari’s administration to tackle corruption and recover looted funds.

“I think so far so good.

“Pursuant to section 15 of the Constitution. Every government in Nigeria is mandatorily required to fight corruption. The provision is to the fact that the Nigerian state shall abolish corrupt practices and abuse of power,” Mr Falana stated.

He further said that every administration both military and civilian, had to an extent fought corruption, giving instances of their efforts.

“Since the Sani Abacha period, every government has tried one way or the other to fight corruption.

“The Abacha junta that enacted the advance fee fraud and failed bank decree dealt with certain banks’ executives.

“The Abdulsalami Abubakar’s junta investigated General Sani Abacha’s junta and not less than one billion dollars was recovered in terms of money and other assets.

“The General Ababakar era enacted the forfeiture decree.

“Even President Jonathan fought corruption in his own way, you will be surprised,” Mr Falana stated.

He explained that last year, when the government had to withdraw the charges against Mr Mohammed Abacha after 14 years, the office of the Attorney General issued a statement to the fact that the withdrawal was occasioned by the fact that $ 970 million from the Abacha loot has been recovered by the Jonathan government.

“Under that government, $ 458 million was also forfeited by the United States government which has not been repatriated yet.

“Through some plea bargain, that is what they call it, the Jonathan government made about $ 120 million.

“Every government in Nigeria investigates the past, usually the previous government.

“For the past 16 years, the PDP and the Abubakar Junta recovered about $ 3.2 billion from the Abacha loot. It is the most successful loot recovery in the world,” he explained.

For the fight against corruption in Nigeria to record meaningful achievement, the Lawyer suggested that the government should provided an enabling environment for people to expose corruption and give the anti-graft agencies the autonomy, recognised by law, to prosecute those indicted for corruption.

Some Nigerians have also accused some court judges of corruption, but the lawyer dismissed the assumptions, saying that there are incorruptible judges in Nigeria, giving instances where Nigerian judges had ensured that funds fraudulently collected from a bank in Brazil was recovered.

“What Nigeria needs is the current practice of having special divisions of the regular courts and ensure that they are manned by judges who understand what corruption is all about.”

He said that an Act enacted by the former administration – the Administration of Justice Criminal Act – had put an end to some anomalies in the law that had given suspected criminals the opportunity to seek orders stopping their trial.

“Under section 2(493) of that law, you can no longer stay proceedings in a criminal trial or suspend any trial. All objections must now be considered along with the main case.

“The law mentioned earlier has now provided that trial of criminal cases in Nigeria, including corruption cases and cases of terrorism, will now be conducted day by day. Where it is impossible to do that adjournment must not go beyond 14 days in between,” he said.

Mr Falana further stressed the need for all Nigerians to be treated equally by prosecuting agencies before the law, condemning situations where the rich are not even handcuffed while the poor get unfair treatments during their arrest.

The post Anti-corruption War: Falana Tasks Prosecution Agencies On Proper Investigation appeared first on Channels Television.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by SeverusSnape(m): 1:07pm On Aug 25, 2015
Adminisher:

Building institutions will not kill corruption. It does something worse. It institutionalises it. Like British type of corruption. To be honest , Jonathan had no policy towards corruption and all of you know it . All these after the fact suppositions are just to put credit him with ideas that never came to his mind. All Jonathan did on corruption was reactive.. after serious , very stinging, reputation damaging criticisms from Nigerians. Indeed his only failure was corruption. He would have been given five terms if he had fought it, probed Obj, IBB and Abdusalami and cleaned up Nigerian politics. That would have been the TRANSFORMATION AGENDA instead of mundane stuff like seasonal roads, half completed airport terminals and a minor part of a refurbished 100 year old railway
Bros, You try well well.

Now let's watch and see how Bubu will deal with this hydra headed monster called corruption.

**fingers crossed**

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Unsad(m): 1:08pm On Aug 25, 2015
BannedOtherView:

Shut your putrid mouth! Falana appraised all preceding administrations and not just Jonathan's, in that interview.
It is of course no surprise that @OP went to town with his own head-line, which puts a different spin on things. The is what is expected of all those signed up to Jonathan's cult of personality.

For more objective commentators, he is a proper account of the same interview:

Gtfoh my mentions

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by alabiyemmy(m): 1:09pm On Aug 25, 2015
It is obvious that majority of people on NairaLand hate you when you speak the truth and lift you high when you tell them lies and propaganda.

APC.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by anonimi: 1:09pm On Aug 25, 2015
Words on marble from the same lawyer LIAR who is now seeking to redeem himself from the LIES and baseless propaganda he joined others to mount against ex-president Jonathan =>

Why Buhari’s ‘foes’ work for him, Falana
June 5, 2015

THE victory of Muhammadu Buhari in the recent elections in Nigeria and his inauguration last week as the country’s sixth elected president certainly did not come easy.

It came as a combination of several factors, including contributions from perceived enemies of Buhari who suffered bruises during his brief reign as Military Head of State in 1984.

Among those that fell victims and suffered some degree of bruises were Femi Falana, then a very young lawyer, Yemi Adefulu who was a commissioner in the administration of late Chief Bisi Onabanjo in Ogun State and Tunde Thompson then a journalist with The Guardian Newspaper.

Curiously all these men including many others, did not only canvass for votes for Buhari, some went as far as going to court to defend him when some individuals challenged his eligibility to contest the election.

One of them, Falana, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and one of the lawyers that defended President Buhari in the eligibility suits, told The Guardian in an interview that, “I decided to put all the ugly past behind me so that it would not rob me of the opportunity to make candid and informed decision as well as take redemptive actions which the country’s critical situation today requires.

“I decided to defend Buhari in the suits because I was convinced that apart from my professional responsibility, I was also contributing my own quota to the expansion of democratic culture in our country.

“I think General Buhari’s personal integrity has continued to earn him admiration even from those who have suffered under a military junta headed by him.

“I must also add that as far as I am concerned, I do not nurse any bitterness against any former military dictator that detained me, including General Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida, because I was convinced about what I was doing, it was a voluntary exercise. My involvement in the struggle of our people and the restoration of democracy in our country is voluntary”

Falana said his action was borne out of the conviction that since there is no law barring Buhari or any past military leader from exercising their democratic rights, he is free to contest for any office in the country provided he meets the requirements, adding that when this happens as a patriotic citizen he would always put the overall interest of the country first by ensuring that the best candidate is made to emerge.

On what particularly inspired him to mobilize support for Buhari, the senior lawyer said, “I am convinced he would arrest the grave culture of impunity in the country which has reached a disturbing phenomenon.

“My support for him during the poll was also driven by my conviction that he would muster the courage to wage a meaningful campaign against corruption under the rule of law. Of course, I know the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo very well; I have worked with him in the area of judicial reforms. I am of the belief that the duo have the required discipline and integrity to make the rule of law work in our country.

More from: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/...or-him-falana/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by abbey621(m): 1:10pm On Aug 25, 2015
Gullible Nigerians would actually believe this man made sense but a simple compare and contrast would suffice. What was the economy like in 2007? What was it like when GEJ left office? GEJ might have truly tried his best but it was clear as daylight that his best was not good enough to weed out corruptiuon. If Buhari should pursue the same path of mediocrity then we would kindly vote him out in 2019, gone are the days of suffering and smiling!
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by kayo80(m): 1:12pm On Aug 25, 2015
sagewonders:

indeed . sorry for you

Sorry for you too...ENEMY OF PROGRESS. Tribal bigot.
Re: Jonathan Fought Corruption In More Civilized Way Than Buhari - Falana by Optionalx: 1:13pm On Aug 25, 2015
I see Mr Falana as an objective social critic and commentator.
This does not stop him from criticizing Jonathan on some of his policies when the need arises.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Six States That Can Confidently Survive Without Federal Allocation / British Military Team Arrives Nigeria To Train Air Force Personel In Kaduna.PICS / Nigeria Army Radioman In The North East (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.