Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,870 members, 7,817,567 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) (5934 Views)

Staunch Saraki Supporter Posted This On Facebook; See Reactions From Kwarans / This Joke Tells The Exact Positions Of The Yorubas And Ibos Towards One Nijeriya / Now That Kwarans Have Realised: CONGRATULATIONS To Kwara People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Omololu007(m): 8:55am On Aug 30, 2015
patmaine:

of course I am from the south east and I am in Lagos hitting it big. which in turn give you sleepless night.

why else would you want me to go back to my village which is nnewi by the way.

I can go to nnewi and still make it big time. but I am not going anytime soon.

we go enjoy Lagos.

dying already?
why will I die flat head? The lagoon will soon be your home olofo omo nna

1 Like

Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Omololu007(m): 8:57am On Aug 30, 2015
Ritchiee:
He is just advising you.Abi you want to die in Lagos?I hope you are not an OSU.
the flat head is not just an OSU,he is a parasite that must be destroyed soon
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Ritchiee: 9:16am On Aug 30, 2015
Omololu007:
I do know that all of them are parasites and they have been given the parasites crown of Nigeria-GOLCROTPAN.I think this mofo is a destitute OSU...you can see that he is always forming.lol.
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Nobody: 10:16am On Aug 30, 2015
huangcheng:

The OP is a very intelligent guy but his Yoruba brothers are too dumb and egoistic to understand the message he's trying to pass. Op i tell you what, do what you feel is best for you. You don't owe anyone or your tribesmen an advice. Igbos don't encourage anyone to trade, we see the opportunity and take it. It comes naturally.

For example, Nairaland has been a very popular forum since 2005 but the owner could not see the opportunity therein until Linda Ikeji came and saw the enormous opportunities and took it. It was only then that Nairaland saw the need to incorporate advert placement on its platform. Like i said, business opportunity comes naturally to an Igbo man.

Yes I understand him but his analysis is pure emotional than objective.

Imagine him saying Kwarans can challenge Igbos in trade and commerce, even the emir of Ilorin will slap the hell out him for saying that.

Where are the Kwarans and their businesses in lagos if we must list all the markets in Lagos not roadside trading and hawking of trinkets, bras and pants.

Like one Yoruba guy used to suggest that Yorubas need to venture out of other regions to explore and exploit opportunities since other regions are in Lagos exploiting the state resources, I understand him very well but his message is being marred by his emotional conjectures and primitive sentiments to achieve a footnote.

Yoruba business I know in Lagos are lace merchandising and necklace at idumota and Oshodi.

I have never seen a yoruba or whatever kwaran spareparts dealer or shop owner at Alaba, Oduade, ASPAMDA et al.

If they don't dominate the big markets that make lagos thick where else are they dominating in Lagos and what make them smarter traders than Igbos.

Only if the OP can buttress his point by telling us how Kwarans outsmart Igbos in trade, commerce and craft because am not sure he has been to Aba before he started writing craps about craft in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Nobody: 10:21am On Aug 30, 2015
Omololu007:

I discovered the guy gave you a bloody nose reason why you resort to insulting him grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Omololu007(m): 12:33pm On Aug 30, 2015
BuddahMonk:

I discovered the guy gave you a bloody nose reason why you resort to insulting him grin grin grin grin grin

omo nna you are free to make yourself happy parasite
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 30, 2015
Omololu007:
omo nna you are free to make yourself happy parasite

You can only whine about it but if you dare touch any of our investments...

May your peaceless soul rest in peace grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Omololu007(m): 2:40pm On Aug 30, 2015
BuddahMonk:

You can only whine about it but if you dare touch any of our investments...

May your peaceless soul rest in peace grin grin grin grin grin grin
how many aboki soul don rest in peace since them start to they kill flat heads,sanusi was involve in the be heading of akakuka(don't really get his foolish name),today sanusi is the emir of kano..flat head go and drown yourself in the lagoon. parasite
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Ritchiee: 10:51am On Aug 31, 2015
Omololu007:
how many aboki soul don rest in peace since them start to they kill flat heads,sanusi was involve in the be heading of akakuka(don't really get his foolish name),today sanusi is the emir of kano..flat head go and drown yourself in the lagoon. parasite
lol
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by 7lives: 12:11pm On Aug 31, 2015
Ritchiee:
No,why would I fall for Okoro trick.We are smarter than they are and you know that, man.It is for want of word to properly categorise them in Lagos here.I would say they have a good ARRIVISTE.What is your solution to these craftspeople turned area boys if you don't support wholesome trading?Look at what I pray for...would he do it...? http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/08/ambode-vows-to-take-lagos-youths-off-streets/

If you think the street boys are only the Yoruba's you are on a loooooong thing.
Even girls are also involved, the only thing that qualifies you to belong is that you are a daredevil who can speak their gutter language.
If you doubt me conduct your personal research and thank me later.
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Ritchiee: 12:47pm On Aug 31, 2015
7lives:

If you think the street boys are only the Yoruba's you are on a loooooong thing.
Even girls are also involved, the only thing that qualifies you to belong is that you are a daredevil who can speak their gutter language.
If you doubt me conduct your personal research and thank me later.
What do you think their parents can do to curb this menace.My support for the OP stems from the fact that traders cum biz people like the Kwarans and Ibos have really made some marks in Lagos and I think the Yoruba parents should stop sending their children to go and learn craft-VULCANIZERS,RADIONIC ETC-because it has not been proving that 30/100 of them are successful but traders have mostly been successful and have lifted their communities out of misery even without the help of the Govt.
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by laudate: 4:05pm On Aug 31, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Lagos doesn't even have enough craftsmen i.m.o if you consider the population. if you go to osogbo and iseyin you'll understand my point

True! But those existing craftsmen still need further education, more training and better packaging to upgrade both themselves and the services they offer.

Let me give you an example. Many years ago, artisans and mechanics were more patient, dedicated and thorough.

They would troubleshoot and diagnose any problem with your car properly, before recommending a fix. But these days, once mechanics spend a few weeks with their 'master,' and put some money together to do their 'freedom' or graduation, they think they have arrived, not realising that it is just a starting point. undecided

So many new models of cars keep coming out everyday. Are our mechanics upgrading their knowledge of the tech skills and functions of such cars? Nope. Instead they are worsening the problem.

Ironically, I have had better service from Togolese and Benenoise mechanics who also speak a dialect of Yoruba, than the indigenous local mechanics. Something needs to be done in this area.

People get paid for providing solutions, and not for listing out problems. undecided

We also need to fine-tune our definition of success. Having mega bucks may not be an artisan's idea of success or a mechanic's vision of achievement. But being able to feed himself and his family with 3 square meals each day, having decent affordable accommodation that is fully paid up, being able to settle school fees promptly because there is ready cash and getting quality medical care on demand...may just be his own picture of success.

And if he is happy with this picture, who are we to say otherwise? Everyone in the society cannot be multi-millionaires, but everybody can be well-fed, well-housed, and well taken care of within the limits of what he earns from his craft. undecided

1 Like

Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Ritchiee: 4:31pm On Aug 31, 2015
laudate:

True! But those existing craftsmen still need further education, more training and better packaging to upgrade both themselves and the services they offer.

Let me give you an example. Many years ago, artisans and mechanics were more patient, dedicated and thorough.

They would troubleshoot and diagnose any problem with your car properly, before recommending a fix. But these days, once mechanics spend a few weeks with their 'master,' and put some money together to do their 'freedom' or graduation, they think they have arrived, not realising that it is just a starting point. undecided

So many new models of cars keep coming out everyday. Are our mechanics upgrading their knowledge of the tech skills and functions of such cars? Nope. Instead they are worsening the problem.

Ironically, I have had better service from Togolese and Benenoise mechanics who also speak a dialect of Yoruba, than the indigenous local mechanics. Something needs to be done in this area.

People get paid for providing solutions, and not for listing out problems. undecided

We also need to fine-tune our definition of success. Having mega bucks may not be an artisan's idea of success or a mechanic's vision of achievement. But being able to feed himself and his family with 3 square meals each day, having decent affordable accommodation that is fully paid up, being able to settle school fees promptly because there is ready cash and getting quality medical care on demand...may just be his own picture of success.

And if he is happy with this picture, who are we to say otherwise? Everyone in the society cannot be multi-millionaires, but everybody can be well-fed, well-housed, and well taken care of within the limits of what he earns from his craft. undecided

That is it my brother.To be well fed,well clothed and have a good standard of living nowadays on Nigeria really needs more than unpackaged craftsperson but easier for a trader because you don't need much expertise to be a trader.Anybody can become a trader.Provided you have the capital,you can e even use a proxy but still, it is more lucrative than crafts.I think the only solution for those loudmouthed touts or area boys or would be area boys,is to set them up with some trade with good monitoring for a couple of years before leaving them to their fate...
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by laudate: 4:42pm On Aug 31, 2015
Ritchiee:
That is it my brother.To be well fed,well clothed and have a good standard of living nowadays on Nigeria really needs more than unpackaged craftsperson but easier for a trader because you don't need much expertise to be a trader.Anybody can become a trader.Provided you have the capital,you can e even use a proxy but still, it is more lucrative than crafts.I think the only solution for those loudmouthed touts or area boys or would be area boys,is to set them up with some trade with good monitoring for a couple of years before leaving them to their fate...

Are those touts willing to learn a trade? A few NGOs tried this some years back, but nothing came out of it. A lot of those touts are heavily into cannabis & drugs. So they need more than a trade. They need rehabilitation first, to get rid of their addiction, before they can talk of earning a living. undecided

I don't know if they are still some NGOs assisting in this area. sad

1 Like

Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Ritchiee: 4:52pm On Aug 31, 2015
If Lagos continues like this, it would be calamitous in a couple of years and in the long run because the percentage of craftspeople is getting higher with each parent's standard of living falling,all hell could be let loose and only the traders would mostly be able to live above board.The future as I see it for the South Westerners who are sending their wards to go and learn about crafts in droves is not too promising.The Kwarans came to Lagos,went into trade and became OWO NI E JE(na money he go chop-lol)
The Ibos came to Lagos went into trade and became "no man's land"crusaders-lol.
Trade is an individual thing and always afford you,mostly always,to feed yourself and family without going a begging.This is not so for craftspeople.
I pity them.They went through hell during their apprenticeship, they are a hard worker than the traders but destiny had always smiled on the traders than the craftspeople.
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by laudate: 5:10pm On Aug 31, 2015
Ritchiee:
If Lagos continues like this, it would be calamitous in a couple of years and in the long run because the percentage of craftspeople is getting higher with each parent's standard of living falling,all hell could be let loose and only the traders would mostly be able to live above board.The future as I see it for the South Westerners who are sending their wards to go and learn about crafts in droves is not too promising.The Kwarans came to Lagos,went into trade and became OWO NI E JE(na money he go chop-lol)
The Ibos came to Lagos went into trade and became "no man's land"crusaders-lol.
Trade is an individual thing and always afford you,mostly always,to feed yourself and family without going a begging.This is not so for craftspeople.
I pity them.They went through hell during their apprenticeship, they are a hard worker than the traders but destiny had always smiled on the traders than the craftspeople.

Guy, you make it seem as if learning a craft is a dead end. I beg to disagree. The problem I have with many of them, is that a lot of them are not honest. Neither are they thorough or masters of their craft. It is one thing to learn a craft. It is another to master it, and learn how to use the proceeds wisely to increase and expand your business. This is what many craftsmen need to learn. sad

Even if you are a trader, if you are not prudent with your resources or if you have dishonest workers you will go bankrupt, and end up living from hand to mouth. Everyone cannot be a trader.undecided

In my area, there was a time that generator technicians were like hot cake. There was a guy in my close that we used to wait for patiently to fix our gensets, because he was good at his job. In no time at all, he bought a small Golf 3 car with the money he made from generator repairs. If my genset is faulty, would I call a trader or a technician?

Sadly, his counterpart that had a workshop 2 streets away, who was in the same line of business ended up in penury, because most of his money was spent at Mama Calabar's pepper soup and beer joint.
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by Ritchiee: 5:32pm On Aug 31, 2015
laudate:

Guy, you make it seem as if learning a craft is a dead end. I beg to disagree. The problem I have with many of them, is that a lot of them are not honest. Neither are they thorough or masters of their craft. It is one thing to learn a craft. It is another to master it, and learn how to use the proceeds wisely to increase and expand your business. This is what many craftsmen need to learn. sad

Even if you are a trader, if you are not prudent with your resources or if you have dishonest workers you will go bankrupt, and end up living from hand to mouth. Everyone cannot be a trader.undecided

In my area, there was a time that generator technicians were like hot cake. There was a guy in my close that we used to wait for patiently to fix our gensets, because he was good at his job. In no time at all, he bought a small Golf 3 car with the money he made from generator repairs. If my genset is faulty, would I call a trader or a technician?

Sadly, his counterpart that had a workshop 2 streets away, who was in the same line of business ended up in penury, because most of his money was spent at Mama Calabar's pepper soup and beer joint.
Think about the future...Nobody is listening?The future!the future!!the future!!!*sighs*
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by laudate: 5:39pm On Aug 31, 2015
Ritchiee:
Think about the future...Nobody is listening?The future!the future!!the future!!!*sighs*

Oh, you believe the future is only about trading?? smh.... *walking out of thread* sad
Re: Crafts(yorubas) VS Trade(kwarans And Ibos) by yoruboidmuslim: 9:23pm On Aug 31, 2015
laudate:

Oh, you believe the future is only about trading?? smh.... *walking out of thread* sad
Oh my God...you don't have to do that.
Most of the scholars of the world think that trade is superior to crafts.I would try to post a couple soon.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biafra Slippers Trending On Social Media - Thousands Sold Out In 24 Hrs / Central Mosque Enugu-ezike In Enugu State Razed Down / Nationwide Blackout: Do You Have Light In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.