Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

Banking Career Progression And When To Quit - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Banking Career Progression And When To Quit (12945 Views)

Lagos Stops Promotion Based On Career Progression, Reveals New Criterion (MUST R / An Investment Banking Career: A Thread for Questions, Advice & Vacancies / Please Somebody Should Help. This May Affect My Career Progression. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by MrGreenMavro: 8:41am On Mar 07, 2017
grin
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by HAH: 8:46am On Mar 07, 2017
SuperPanther:

Please what line of business do you do now?
agribusiness, real estate and I have a bakery, my future plant is being a big time industrialist with focus on flour mill
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by dayosweetness(m): 9:11am On Mar 07, 2017
it is the most bleeped job you could ever dream off..but as some one said, it is good for young guys to explore, but is not a place you can stay for a long time....

1 Like

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 07, 2017
Banking has greatly changed from what it used to be. Also the type of bank you find yourself in matters a lot. Promotions equals the amount of deposit you are able to mobilize. I have seen people stay on entry level positions for over 7years. Not because they were lazy or not good enough, but because the industry is very unforgiving. Especially in a bank with weak corporate governance. Always have an exit plan the moment you begin employment with a bank. Fear of the Unknown will be your greatest undoing if you let it tame you.

2 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by FearFactor1: 9:46am On Mar 07, 2017
icon8:

OP, mind shedding some light on the bolded?

Am currently a banker. It there's something banking has thought me it's 'nothing is impossible".

2 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Adesiji77: 9:53am On Mar 07, 2017
Nice one @slydog

@topic: IMHO, the "golden era" of banking is gone. This is not the best time to jump from one back to another.

It is the bank to consolidate, finetune exit plan (Plan B) and make the best out of the system while it lasts.

Will be back to make more comments cool

1 Like

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by icon8: 10:53am On Mar 07, 2017
FearFactor1:

Am currently a banker. It there's something banking has thought me it's 'nothing is impossible".

Does that include the fallacious claim that "some people enjoy up to 3 promotions in one year" in present day Nigerian banking sector?
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by blank(f): 11:12am On Mar 07, 2017
icon8:

Does that include the fallacious claim that "some people enjoy up to 3 promotions in one year" in present day Nigerian banking sector?

I know someone who got promoted to a Manager in one year and left to another bank same year for the next level. He is now in talks with his old bank to return and he has said that the only thing that will make him return is the next level i.e AGM and they are considering it. All these is taking place in 2 years. FYI, he is not in marketing. You just have to know which area is shining, be a performer and join the winning team.

6 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Nobody: 11:45am On Mar 07, 2017
slydog:
This thread is for resilient bankers who enjoy promotion and moved from one bank to another in search of career growth so we can share experiences and advises to young bankers.

Despite the fact that people see banking as a job without security, some people are making it big time, enjoying up to three promotions in year, yes three.

I work in a first generation bank where I've seen people who work for 30 years and received promoting three times in 30years. Today we have banker jumping from bank to bank getting next levels.

Bankers, come and share your experiences.

Banking ... banking...a nice place to work...a place that consume your time... A place where promotion is hard to give, despite the hard work you put in the job..
pay for shortage..pay for fake note...being bullied by senior colleagues...where some senior ones are the best to have...
. Do you notice Zenith bank. Workers..tellers n Note counters... That bank is awful...they declare large amount if gain, but yet, they don't pay there workers.. Imagine a note counter that has spent 13yrs with the bank...being paid 58500 and last month was promoted by adding just 5000 to the salary...some of the note counters has Msc,Bsc HND.. Even the new set of note counter they employ now...are being paid just salary..no health care .. No leave allowance..no Christmas bonus...
but there's Christmas bonus for new tellers.
..No nothing..just salary only....the bank management is not trying...Thou don't no about other banks...but zenith has the worst management....

2 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by martooski(m): 1:10pm On Mar 07, 2017
FearFactor1:

I NEED A BANKING JOB.... ALREADY AN EXPERIENCE BANKER
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by leighcon(m): 1:47pm On Mar 07, 2017
You are definitely on the outside. Giving AGM position is not even the prerogative of the Bank itself, it is a level that requires approval of Central Bank of Nigeria. I am not saying this is untrue, but there are more facts you probably do not know of.

blank:

I know someone who got promoted to a Manager in one year and left to another bank same year for the next level. He is now in talks with his old bank to return and he has said that the only thing that will make him return is the next level i.e AGM and they are considering it. All these is taking place in 2 years. FYI, he is not in marketing. You just have to know which area is shining, be a performer and join the winning team.
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by blank(f): 4:09pm On Mar 07, 2017
leighcon:
You are definitely on the outside. Giving AGM position is not even the prerogative of the Bank itself, it is a level that requires approval of Central Bank of Nigeria. I am not saying this is untrue, but there are more facts you probably do not know of.

I think you are the one who is on the outside. CBN does not select staff for AGM positions but will only confirm staff presented by the bank for those positions as long as you meet certain criteria such as years of experience, etc. I was mild in the way i presented the story. The bank has offered him AGM pending CBN confirmation and he is considering it.

There are people that have spent 10 years in the bank and are only second level whilst some have spent less than that and have moved to higher levels. It's God's favour, hard work and keying into the 'in thing'.

4 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by slydog(m): 4:56pm On Mar 07, 2017
icon8:

OP, mind shedding some light on the bolded?

Know a guy in GT who got three in a year and a guy in Access, two in a year, just meet and exceed target simple
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by slydog(m): 5:01pm On Mar 07, 2017
Adesiji77:
Nice one @slydog

@topic: IMHO, the "golden era" of banking is gone. This is not the best time to jump from one back to another.

It is the bank to consolidate, finetune exit plan (Plan B) and make the best out of the system while it lasts.

Will be back to make more comments cool

Smart one bro, I will be five years in banking and marketing this year and am burnt out. Am really grateful to my first bank, we were made to read Steven Covey's book 7 habits of highly effective leaders, and one habit that has guided me to this day is begin with the end in mind, from day one based on this habit I began thinking of my exit plan. I gave myself 5years to work, achieve my personal goals and leave the industry, and I can tel you my plans are working out, Five years by December this year, am sure of where I will be, Plan B!

2 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by FearFactor1: 5:07pm On Mar 07, 2017
icon8:

Have u heard of double promotion?

1 Like

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by icon8: 6:32pm On Mar 07, 2017
FearFactor1:

Have u heard of double promotion?

No, I haven't! I guess you haven't heard there's a difference between double and triple either.

1 Like

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by icon8: 6:33pm On Mar 07, 2017
slydog:

Know a guy in GT who got three in a year and a guy in Access, two in a year, just meet and exceed target simple

Their respective names, please? Especially the GT guy who got 3 in a year.
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by bxcode(m): 8:28pm On Mar 07, 2017
balancediet:
The Best place to start career is in The Bank. They Dont Owe salary, train you to be smart and to think strategically a quality that Will remain with you and help in your own bussines in later years.With time though you May change career to something with less pressure.
Nice analogy..... that's the motivation that drives me presently on the job... tho tasking and time consuming but the personal growth and transformation has been awesome.

1 Like

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by balancediet(m): 8:34am On Mar 08, 2017
keep it up bro, May God make way for you. Am talking from expirience
bxcode:

Nice analogy..... that's the motivation that drives me presently on the job... tho tasking and time consuming but the personal growth and transformation has been awesome.
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by leighcon(m): 3:32pm On Mar 08, 2017
blank:

I think you are the one who is on the outside. CBN does not select staff for AGM positions but will only confirm staff presented by the bank for those positions as long as you meet certain criteria such as years of experience, etc. I was mild in the way i presented the story. The bank has offered him AGM pending CBN confirmation and he is considering it.

There are people that have spent 10 years in the bank and are only second level whilst some have spent less than that and have moved to higher levels. It's God's favour, hard work and keying into the 'in thing'.

I was almost letting you know that you did not read until I saw the part in bold above, which agrees with my position. On the basis that you agreed you gave scanty information, I defer to you. Anyone will agree however that Banking pre-2009 is different from banking post-2009 as regards fast paced career progression.

3 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by leighcon(m): 3:35pm On Mar 08, 2017
Using "Am" as opposed to "I'm" / "I am" could be a contributing factor as well,

slydog:

Smart one bro, I will be five years in banking and marketing this year and am burnt out. Am really grateful to my first bank, we were made to read Steven Covey's book 7 habits of highly effective leaders, and one habit that has guided me to this day is begin with the end in mind, from day one based on this habit I began thinking of my exit plan. I gave myself 5years to work, achieve my personal goals and leave the industry, and I can tel you my plans are working out, Five years by December this year, am sure of where I will be, Plan B!
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by blank(f): 8:05pm On Mar 08, 2017
leighcon:

I was almost letting you know that you did not read until I saw the part in bold above, which agrees with my position. On the basis that you agreed you gave scanty information, I defer to you. Anyone will agree however that Banking pre-2009 is different from banking post-2009 as regards fast paced career progression.

Just to reiterate, awaiting CBN approval means that you will be accorded all the perks of office and be addressed as an AGM. Only in the official head count will it not show.

Pre or post 2009, you still need to key in to the reigning thing to move fast.

3 Likes

Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by learoce(m): 12:32pm On Mar 09, 2017
blank:

Just to reiterate, awaiting CBN approval means that you will be accorded all the perks of office and be addressed as an AGM. Only in the official head count will it not show.

Pre or post 2009, you still need to key in to the reigning thing to move fast.
Please dear blank, you have been repeating this "reigning thing" ... I am really interested in knowing about it. If you can't share it here, kindly take an exception and respond to my pm
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by itiswellandwell: 5:16pm On Mar 10, 2017
Godmother:
How did this thread make it to frontpage with such replies? Not one answers the OP's question.

Pls, I want to ask you a question Ma.

I can see that you once used betahost247.com service sometimes ago. please, how is your experience with them?
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by Godmother(f): 5:51pm On Mar 10, 2017
itiswellandwell:

Pls, I want to ask you a question Ma.

I can see that you once used betahost247.com service sometimes ago. please, how is your experience with them?

I would recommend them anyday, anytime. They have really good service and an excellent customer care.
Re: Banking Career Progression And When To Quit by itiswellandwell: 5:54pm On Mar 10, 2017
Godmother:

I would recommend them anyday, anytime. They have really good service and an excellent customer care.

Alright Ma. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Your Passion Or You Are Doing This To Just Make A Living? / Prof. Ade Ojeniyi Bags Danish Highest Award / The Shortest Period You Ever Worked In A Coy Before.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.