Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:40 PM

Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student (36592 Views)

Tiantian: Chinese Baby Born 4 Years After The Death Of The Parents / Oluchi Okoro Dies At COOU Teaching Hospital Amaku In Hands Of Student Doctors / Snake Invades Ilorin Teaching Hospital, May Allah Save The Patients. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by olumalcolm(m): 1:10pm On Aug 31, 2015
Doctors and nurses bin forming I dnt care since God knws wen. Dats deir way of life. I dnt knw d diff BTW dem and Nigerian police cos dose 1's too will tell u no fuel to cm and arrest armed robbers. Mcheeew RIP to. D babe
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by moscobabs(m): 1:10pm On Aug 31, 2015
wink wink wink
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by zonax(m): 1:12pm On Aug 31, 2015
RIP to the dead.
Op correct your English, what's "lack of incompetence "
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 31, 2015
Rotten university! angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 31, 2015
vivypretty:
rest in peace to the dead
i dont know why it always takes time before school hospital attends to their student

Rivers State is the only state in the Federation that has a dysfunctional Medical System, For the last 4yrs Doctors have been on strike , doctors are kidnapped of killed, health workers threatened, there are no functional govt hospitals, even private ones are killing fields.
Its either your pouse or relative is a doctor or you re doomed.
If you have a pregnant wife u have to ship her to neighboring states of import a doctor to care for her.

Never seen such barbarism displayed in the a states health sector. Boko haram will surely envy the health practitioners here. cool

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by lordthree(m): 1:14pm On Aug 31, 2015
unique uniport indeed smh
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by adewumiopeyemi(m): 1:15pm On Aug 31, 2015
Her name is Kelechi Ndulagwa is HE OR SHE.....[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 31, 2015
Menh serious protest going on at the hospital... Ambulance damaged, Windows shattered, trees uprooted... Like A rubber stretched the students of Uniport have recoiled.... Long overdue! The CMD and VC are cupable and should be made to account for it. R.I.P Kels... #NeverAgain!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Forwetinnah: 1:16pm On Aug 31, 2015
...tomorrow those nuisances called Doctors/Nurses will compare themselves to their foreign counterparts asking for salary raise. People who are supposed to be "care givers" are very "care-free and non-chalant" to their duties. Just imagine??
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Ichliebedich(f): 1:16pm On Aug 31, 2015
Rip!
I wept this morning when I got to choba and heard the tale. Very wicked and heartless health practitioners we have in this country.
Such a young and beautiful young lady dead and for what flimsy excuse. My heart goes out to her family and friends
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by suave558(m): 1:16pm On Aug 31, 2015
Deapexboy:
R.I.P

all Uniport care about is money

if upth will set ablaze it will better

if upth can't attain to her students then who?

our green card is useless, sorry to say.

6th in Africa indeed
1st in Nigeria my foot
6th in Africa? 1st in Nigeria? Lmfao grin shocked R.I.P PEACE
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by ocee31(m): 1:17pm On Aug 31, 2015
RIP kelechi
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by niggarizer(m): 1:18pm On Aug 31, 2015
east west road was blocked since 8am today... No movement. I pity people travelling..

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by onelife97: 1:19pm On Aug 31, 2015
I neither can blame the students for their grievance nor the doctors for their negligence but the school authority and the goat government that has been eating state's yam and take students' health insurance buy pure water step down.They subsequently failed to equip the health institution which has led to many deaths.
Hence,the students should divert their grievance and annoyance to the school authority and let the doctors come bk to work to prevent more deaths.

3 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by teadrake(m): 1:19pm On Aug 31, 2015
Link me up with the Governor of that state.The VC of that institution deserve to be kidnapped and taught some lessons.Condolence to the family of the deceased
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Stephansmily(f): 1:20pm On Aug 31, 2015

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by teadrake(m): 1:21pm On Aug 31, 2015
onelife97:
I neither can blame the students for their grievance nor the doctors for their negligence but the school authority and the goat government that has been eating state's yam and take students' health insurance buy pure water step down.They subsequently failed to equip the health institution which has led to many deaths.
Hence,the students should divert their grievance and annoyance to the school authority and let the doctors come bk to work to prevent more deaths.
See the country we found ourselves bro.Our government has failed in all ramifications.Nigeria!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nursecaleb(m): 1:23pm On Aug 31, 2015
chidifyn:
Rip to kelechi. Docs n nurses can be heartless sometimes. They way they treat sick and dead pple amazes me. They don't ve regard n respect for human in dead and alive. I think they shld introduce a course in their studies that has to do with how to treat(self pity or having conscience) an individual . Many have died cos of their heartless attitude toward addressing some health issues even when they see d situation is bad. God help us in Nigeia.
mind what you say lady,if God says her time is not yet,she won't die
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Joslyn(f): 1:25pm On Aug 31, 2015
RIP to the dead. Some nurses are wicked,had a terrible stomach ache in my year 3.My friend had to support me to the school clinic,met a nurse that was discussing with a lady my friend begged her to attend to me but she just hissed and ignored us.
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by rexbuton: 1:26pm On Aug 31, 2015
jarkbauer:

yes they lack incompetence
are you kidding?
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by chinexih: 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2015
Visocrate:
students should have respect for their tutors there are better means or ways of protesting and expressing grievances rather than taking the laws into their hands they should not forget that one day they will also become a lecture and be placed in like positions and they anything that goes around comes around . so I urge you guys to be WISDOMATIC in every action you take

WISDOMATIC!!!!! REALLY

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by chinexih: 1:30pm On Aug 31, 2015
all4naija:
Rotten university! angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided

3 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by robosky02(m): 1:30pm On Aug 31, 2015
ok
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 31, 2015
Forwetinnah:
...tomorrow those nuisances called Doctors/Nurses will compare themselves to their foreign counterparts asking for salary raise. People who are supposed to be "care givers" are very "care-free and non-chalant" to their duties. Just imagine??
olumalcolm:
Doctors and nurses bin forming I dnt care since God knws wen. Dats deir way of life. I dnt knw d diff BTW dem and Nigerian police cos dose 1's too will tell u no fuel to cm and arrest armed robbers. Mcheeew RIP to. D babe
Ichliebedich:
Rip!
I wept this morning when I got to choba and heard the tale. Very wicked and heartless health practitioners we have in this country.
Such a young and beautiful young lady dead and for what flimsy excuse. My heart goes out to her family and friends
chidifyn:
Rip to kelechi. Docs n nurses can be heartless sometimes. They way they treat sick and dead pple amazes me. They don't ve regard n respect for human in dead and alive. I think they shld introduce a course in their studies that has to do with how to treat(self pity or having conscience) an individual . Many have died cos of their heartless attitude toward addressing some health issues even when they see d situation is bad. God help us in Nigeia.

View from a medical doctor.

(Disclaimer...I do not work for UPTH, or any of its affiliated institutions.)

First off, I commiserate with the students of Uniport as well as the lady's family over this untimely death.

Second....let's look at this case.

They got to the hospital. Most likely....they got to the Accident and Emergency Department....the Emergency Ward. And they were told by the nurse....No space.

When the nurse tells you no space...there most likely is NO space. Most nurses in charge of A and E do not turn away any patient who comes to them for help. And when there was no space...there most likely was no space.

The problem is that we do not have a good emergency response in this country. Here is how it is done in developed countries. The girl slumps, her fellow students immediately start CPR (which they have learned) and someone calls an ambulance. The ambulance arrives....and the ambulance drivers and paramedics start first aid. Meanwhile...they have an idea of where the nearest hospital with free bed space is....and they rush her there in the ambulance (Or sometimes by helicopter.). On arrival....there is a team of docs and nurses waiting for the patient.

It does not happen in Nigeria. And yes....UPTH is filled up because A and E can get busy(I should know). I have worked in hospitals where A and E is quiet during the day...then all hell breaks loose at night. And unfortunately...patients die because there is no space...or because the Casualty officer and the nurse are overstretched serving several patients.

So, the students should not blame the medical folks here. Instead....blame the lack of planning in our country. Port should have several tertiary level hospitals that are equipped to take care of several patients. The fact they do not is hardly my colleagues fault. And it won't be right to treat the patient on the floor either.

In a hospital....a tertiary hospital....no space means no space. The number of patients there was probably too many. So....unless the students have proof that there was space and the nurse was lying....I see no case of medical negligence. I see a case for better leadership from Abuja though....and for Buhari to appoint a health minister quick quick.

14 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by RitzyPrince(m): 1:35pm On Aug 31, 2015
And The Students Shut The Hospital Down So More Students Can Die, what a sensible thing to do #fools.....Uniport Student's always Doing The Right Thing In A Wrong Way

2 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by NaijaEarnOnline: 1:36pm On Aug 31, 2015
chidifyn:

Especially those in public hospitals
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Rukkydelta(f): 1:36pm On Aug 31, 2015
RIP I always weep for Nigeria
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by andyanders: 1:38pm On Aug 31, 2015
Giyerte:
Students destroying things here. Breaking glasses, destroying the ambulances

You are a complete f000l for that silly comment.Life lost here as a result of carelessness of the doctors and nurses. Do you know for such a young promising child to be killed as a result of negligence? You will one day be a victim.
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 31, 2015
Addendum....it seems that she was left for six hours. At the same time it seems that they were told...no space. So ,my hunch is that the deceased was either taken round several hospitals, or she was not found on time.

An autopsy and investigation would clear things up. For now....it is too early to blame anyone other than bad leadership.
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by ziga: 1:40pm On Aug 31, 2015
The problem goes deeper than any Doctor or Nurse.

Ask yourself. What is the population of PH?

And what is the bed capacity of UPTH?

The students have shut down the hospital, like that will prevent future recurrences.

The problem is that health facilities in Nigeria is pathetic and highly inadequate.

3 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by owabige: 1:45pm On Aug 31, 2015
This is seriously one of the things that the government needs to concentrate on,imagine universities don't good hospitality...may her gentle soul rest in peace..
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Tiwanna(f): 1:45pm On Aug 31, 2015
Was there this morning people were just standing outside, ready to run every 2 minutes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? / Akwa Ibom Man With Head Cancer Whose Photos Went Viral Undergoes Surgery(pics) / How To Recognize A Stroke And What To Do To Prevent It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.