Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student (36593 Views)

Tiantian: Chinese Baby Born 4 Years After The Death Of The Parents / Oluchi Okoro Dies At COOU Teaching Hospital Amaku In Hands Of Student Doctors / Snake Invades Ilorin Teaching Hospital, May Allah Save The Patients. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 31, 2015
chidifyn:
Rip to kelechi. Docs n nurses can be heartless sometimes. They way they treat sick and dead pple amazes me. They don't ve regard n respect for human in dead and alive. I think they shld introduce a course in their studies that has to do with how to treat(self pity or having conscience) an individual . Many have died cos of their heartless attitude toward addressing some health issues even when they see d situation is bad. God help us in Nigeia.

Visit an emergency dept in any teaching hospital, stay with the nurses all through their shift and you would understand the nature of the job. Its like sending soldiers to boko haram without weapons

7 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 31, 2015
mencade4:
maybe she did local abortion and the nurse dont want her to die in the teaching hospital

rip shä

but its not good ooo

I guess it wasnt abortion but am very sure of that her dept.
Over 90% of the student in that dept are drug addicts and miscreants. .

2 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 31, 2015
chinexih:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2804248_22375_jpeg96e8216a40f3050afa91e06f8e441983
Filthy university. The building alone can make somebody sick. Ptui! angry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cry

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by ziga: 3:05pm On Aug 31, 2015
Imanuelle:

In certain situations, people improvise, especially when it has to do with life. A first aid treatment for a start, even on the floor could have had her alive till they can do the needful.

If a facility is filled. First aid on the floor doesn't cut it. It probably means that the capacity of the healthcare workers, equipment, lab services etc has been reached.

Would it have been better if she was placed on the floor and there were no nurses available to see her or Doctors to care for her, or even no lab facilities for her care??

We do more harm by providing inadequate care.

We need to see the big picture. You can't use plaster to fix axe cuts.

3 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 31, 2015
Am not defending the hospital mgt board and the way this particular case was handled.
But.
The students should know that the university doesnt have any agreement as regards to preference in handling their students.
The university has its own clinic or health center. This is where student medical fees are channel to.
The students always have this nagging attitude when it comes to public utilities.

This death could have be prevented if cordial approach was applied. in a situation where there is no bed space, the medical team will make appropriate referral.
The student should hold the university responsible for not equipping their clinic despite huge allocations for that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by lightuplightup: 3:22pm On Aug 31, 2015
We were lucky o , the protesting student almost stopped our post graduate exam , after they successfully stopped all classes . we had to lock up ourselves in the exam hall

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by dazpa(m): 3:26pm On Aug 31, 2015
Blacks have a very dark heart just like their skin complexion.

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Olaa: 3:27pm On Aug 31, 2015
Giyerte:
200Level THEATRE ART UNIPORT student slumps to death in Her bathroom as a result of UPTH non-availability of BEDSPACE for Admission...
A 200 Level student from the department of theatre and film studies just died after she slumped in her hostel.  Students blame it on the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital. Says they lacked incompetence ..The story so far...

She slumped in her bathroom this morning and was rushed to the hospital at 5:30 am, but she wasn't admitted because a wicked Nurse there said there was no bed space.
Her name is Kelechi Ndulagwa and according to our sources, she died out of lack of oxygen.  A wicked world indeed..may her soul RIP..

God help us all.

Says they lacked incompetence ... shocked. That means they are COMPETENT .... grin

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/angry-uniport-students-lock-up-upth-chase-away-doctors/#sthash.y43UdcFv.dpuf

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Giyerte(m): 3:41pm On Aug 31, 2015
[quote author=Olaa post=37528677][/quote]

Saw it too. I can't edit it, have tried to.
Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by edgideon(m): 4:33pm On Aug 31, 2015
all of una wey dey talk rubbish una b bastard if na ur sister u for talk abortion abi d action go bring to life nai make una no fit progress for life. i no sure say una go skool sef .gerra ra hia all of una, na una wife nd sis go du local abortion.

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by delishpot: 4:36pm On Aug 31, 2015
Visocrate:
students should have respect for their tutors there are better means or ways of protesting and expressing grievances rather than taking the laws into their hands they should not forget that one day they will also become a lecture and be placed in like positions and they anything that goes around comes around . so I urge you guys to be wisdomatic in every action you take

So the government told the doctors not to attend to the girl ba? I even thought you would give a better reason why their way of handling it was not right sef.

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by chidifyn(f): 4:43pm On Aug 31, 2015
Nursecaleb:
mind what you say lady,if God says her time is not yet,she won't die
I guess u r one of those arrogant nurses. I won't mind what am saying cos I have d write to speech. But u shld mind ur space. Don't come into my space and tell me what u don't know.

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by DrObum(m): 4:45pm On Aug 31, 2015
People surprise me in this country, where were the health personnel meant to keep the lady
In their mouths Or can the students prove to us that there were bed spaces and they were denied access to it

Besides, it shouldn't be the students rushing her to UPTH, there's a reason why they have a medical centre in the university. The resuscitation should've started there.

Though it pains me how we lose young and great minds in this country, I think we direct our anger at the wrong quarters!

These same students protesting would gather and cheer a politician that visits their school and forget that the doctors and nurses you're tongue-lashing now can't expand the hospitals, they can't buy extra beds, they wouldn't have rejected the patients that came earlier and filled the bed spaces!

We need to learn to channel our grievances to the right quarters! Instead of protesting in the hospital environment, go to the government house and scatter everything there and get them to truly hear your pain!

RIP Kelechi, it's a pity your life was cut short but you live on in the memories of your loved ones.

6 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 31, 2015
ziga:

If a facility is filled. First aid on the floor doesn't cut it.
It probably means that the capacity of the healthcare workers, equipment, lab services etc has been reached.

Would it have been better if she was placed on the floor and there were no nurses available to see her or Doctors to care for her, or even no lab facilities for her care??

We do more harm by providing inadequate care.

We need to see the big picture. You can't use plaster to fix axe cuts.

Would you say this, then standby and do nothing for family?

There are poorly equipped clinics with professionals who stand up to the task in cases of terror attacks or epidemics.

Anyone can do anything for family, but another person's life is like an ordinary log.

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 4:50pm On Aug 31, 2015
When going there ... I was carry with me my shock absorber. Because the nurses there need Jesus.

If it is an emergency better go to private hospital,I'm telling you cos government things are not straight forward.

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by DrObum(m): 4:50pm On Aug 31, 2015
delishpot:

So the government told the doctors not to attend to the girl ba? I even thought you would give a better reason why their way of handling it was not right sef.
Did the story say that they refused to attend to her or that there was no bed space

NB- there's a limit to what you can do for a patient when the facilities are already fully stretched because Nigeria has sworn not to have functional mobile ambulances and emergency services in government hospitals!

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 31, 2015
dicefrost:

Visit an emergency dept in any teaching hospital, stay with the nurses all through their shift and you would understand the nature of the job. Its like sending soldiers to boko haram without weapons

And when it is mass casualty time.....yeah, that's the day when you will envy your mate who read education.

2 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Bjergtrolde: 4:58pm On Aug 31, 2015
Nursecaleb:
mind what you say lady,if God says her time is not yet,she won't die

Are you for real? Its only Monday and you should still be thinking straight.

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Bjergtrolde: 5:01pm On Aug 31, 2015
bushdoc9919:

View from a medical doctor.

(Disclaimer...I do not work for UPTH, or any of its affiliated institutions.)

First off, I commiserate with the students of Uniport as well as the lady's family over this untimely death.

Second....let's look at this case.

They got to the hospital. Most likely....they got to the Accident and Emergency Department....the Emergency Ward. And they were told by the nurse....No space.

When the nurse tells you no space...there most likely is NO space. Most nurses in charge of A and E do not turn away any patient who comes to them for help. And when there was no space...there most likely was no space.

The problem is that we do not have a good emergency response in this country. Here is how it is done in developed countries. The girl slumps, her fellow students immediately start CPR (which they have learned) and someone calls an ambulance. The ambulance arrives....and the ambulance drivers and paramedics start first aid. Meanwhile...they have an idea of where the nearest hospital with free bed space is....and they rush her there in the ambulance (Or sometimes by helicopter.). On arrival....there is a team of docs and nurses waiting for the patient.

It does not happen in Nigeria. And yes....UPTH is filled up because A and E can get busy(I should know). I have worked in hospitals where A and E is quiet during the day...then all hell breaks loose at night. And unfortunately...patients die because there is no space...or because the Casualty officer and the nurse are overstretched serving several patients.

So, the students should not blame the medical folks here. Instead....blame the lack of planning in our country. Port should have several tertiary level hospitals that are equipped to take care of several patients. The fact they do not is hardly my colleagues fault. And it won't be right to treat the patient on the floor either.

In a hospital....a tertiary hospital....no space means no space. The number of patients there was probably too many. So....unless the students have proof that there was space and the nurse was lying....I see no case of medical negligence. I see a case for better leadership from Abuja though....and for Buhari to appoint a health minister quick quick.

Rubbish! Ever heard of triage?
At every stage, you should be able to carry out a quick assessment and decide who is very ill and needs admitting and who can be moved/discharged to create space.

2 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by delishpot: 5:04pm On Aug 31, 2015
DrObum:

Did the story say that they refused to attend to her or that there was no bed space

NB- there's a limit to what you can do for a patient when the facilities are already fully stretched because Nigeria has sworn not to have functional mobile ambulances and emergency services in government hospitals!

They did not attend to her. No bed space means we cant treat her cos no space to place her. The doctors there dont treat if they have to give a bed. No bed no treatment. They only treat out patients but if you have to be addmited then you must get a bed before they give you panadol. If it takes 3 years to get a bed your treatment stats in 3 years time.
Unless they changed yesterday

They could have done something. My mom died in that same hospital. Evil doctors and demonic nurses. I know what I saw there while caring for my mom.
Believe me, many of those doctors there are wicked and full of pride. That was how I lost my mom to one of the whoring proud doctor there and stupid dumb nurses on duty in her ward.

My problem with the students action is that they are denying fellow country people access to doctors. There are people in that hospital that need doctor attention and chasing the doctors away will only affect other Patients

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Bjergtrolde: 5:06pm On Aug 31, 2015
DrObum:
People surprise me in this country, where were the health personnel meant to keep the lady
In their mouths Or can the students prove to us that there were bed spaces and they were denied access to it

Besides, it shouldn't be the students rushing her to UPTH, there's a reason why they have a medical centre in the university. The resuscitation should've started there.

Though it pains me how we lose young and great minds in this country, I think we direct our anger at the wrong quarters!

These same students protesting would gather and cheer a politician that visits their school and forget that the doctors and nurses you're tongue-lashing now can't expand the hospitals, they can't buy extra beds, they wouldn't have rejected the patients that came earlier and filled the bed spaces!

We need to learn to channel our grievances to the right quarters! Instead of protesting in the hospital environment, go to the government house and scatter everything there and get them to truly hear your pain!

RIP Kelechi, it's a pity your life was cut short but you live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Another rubbish response, if they could not keep her , why not transfer her? Why keep her until 50 minutes?

2 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 31, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Well...yes....but the problem is...first aid is a stop gap.

You do it with the idea that you are going to get help within the hour....and that there is bed space.

And let's be honest.....we still do not know many details about the case....such as what exactly the lady was suffering from.....eg...was she pregnant? Did she have typhoid?....and how long it took for her to get to hospital, and whether she was dead on arrival.

And managing cases on the floor....you cannot do it for all cases....and at any rate...you have to have the staff available to do the needful. Which in this case was not possible.,, because there was no bed space. The Nurses and the docs in A and E were working at full capacity. If the patient had died because the doctor was busy trying to save eight other critical cases...with limited equipment and staff...you people would still complain.

She wasn't dead on arrival from every source.

And the distance from her hostel to UPTH is less than an airport's runway, UPTH is closer than the school clinic because there's a link gate from uniport to UPTH.

I still believe the nurses had a lackadaisical attitude, they wouldn't act sane for family.

On prompt, the students would have arranged more than 20 foams that would rise higher than a hospital bed, that's if the nurses were willing to evetry.ry

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Kylexy3000(m): 5:10pm On Aug 31, 2015
School hospital are far more worse than we thought,all they do is just administer drugs.i remember vividly when i was down with typhoid and malaria in unilorin,i was given 16 different types of drugs.When i got back home,i was given just three types of drugs and i was okay within a week and a half..

2 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 31, 2015
Imanuelle:

She wasn't dead on arrival from every source.

And the distance from her hostel to UPTH is less than an airport's runway, UPTH is closer than the school clinic because there's a link gate from uniport to UPTH.

I still believe the nurses had a lackadaisical attitude, they wouldn't act sane for family.

On prompt, the students would have arranged more than 20 foams that would rise higher than a hospital bed, that's if the nurses were willing to evetry.ry

And you would want them to bring in dirty foam that would contaminate the casualty?

Also....hospital bed is not like your student foam. It needs to be a certain thickness so that we can do BLS and ALS properly.

And we still do not know what she was suffering from.

And anyway.....if there was no space....there was no space. You could have forced your way in, and still not gotten properly attended to because the doctor is treating several injuries,and several hypertensive and diabetic emergencies.

Sorry....but unless you have proof there was space....there was no space. Or do you want your patient to have poor attention?

The issue is that we do not have enough properly equipped hospitals in this country.

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 31, 2015
Bjergtrolde:

At every stage, you should be able to carry out a quick assessment and decide who is very ill and needs admitting and who can be moved/discharged to create space.

And don't you get it?

There was no space in the A and E.....thus your triage argument has no merit.

Your triage argument would have worked if there was adequate space and staff.!

The problem is that we do not have adequate health care facilities.

2 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 5:35pm On Aug 31, 2015
bushdoc9919:

And you would want them to bring in dirty foam that would contaminate the casualty?

Also....hospital bed is not like your student foam. It needs to be a certain thickness so that we can do BLS and ALS properly.

And we still do not know what she was suffering from.

And anyway.....if there was no space....there was no space. You could have forced your way in, and still not gotten properly attended to because the doctor is treating several injuries,and several hypertensive and diabetic emergencies.

Sorry....but unless you have proof there was space....there was no space. Or do you want your patient to have poor attention?

The issue is that we do not have enough properly equipped hospitals in this country.

Why are you writing this way?

You mean no student can have a clean bed sheet ?

Well, your mind is made up, but I know that even if the person has to eat dust to get a chance, I'll feed them dust and not just give up.

2 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 31, 2015
Imanuelle:

Well, your mind is made up, but I know that even if the person has to eat dust to get a chance, I'll feed them dust and not just give up.

And you ignored my argument about hospital beds being different from ordinary foam.

Ah well....I leave by telling you to put pressure on your government to make sure health care is well funded in this country...facility wise...not salary wise.

No space means no space. I am sorry....but that is the way it is. Unless you want your patient to just have drip with no one able to attend to her because there are so many other bad cases...some worse that need attention.

You Nigerians .....ah well....know that I am not defending bad practice....but I am lamenting the fact that we have to work with limited facilities, and limited funding. If you don't want to believe that.....that's your business. You cannot expect miracles from zero. We are not gods.

Good evening.

2 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by DrObum(m): 5:42pm On Aug 31, 2015
Bjergtrolde:

Another rubbish response, if they could not keep her , why not transfer her? Why keep her until 50 minutes?
Bro, you transfer a patient that you've received, resuscitated or atleast attempted to resuscitate and probably initiated management.
There's no report that they received her sef!

My point is, the whole situation was wrong. She's a candidate for their medical centre, where the doctors should've started the resuscitation andd be in a better position to transfer her and ensure that she is received by a facility ready and able to give care.

1 Like

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 5:52pm On Aug 31, 2015
Bjergtrolde:

Half knowledge is bad. Triaging is applicable where you have sudden mass casualties like in a road traffic accident involving tens of people.
You don't triage when patients are coming one after the other in a medical emergency unit. You don't know how often those in the A&E have transferred to the ward and discharged other patients (and still have no bed space), so it's better we all shut up and stop acting like we can do better or that we know all.

3 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 31, 2015
Imanuelle:

No sir. That's not what he means. The hospital is meant to be as sterile as possible and it's usually frequently disinfected so bringing such a mattress will introduce new breeds of microorganisms which will be dangerous for other patients with open wounds or a low immunity (many of such are in the emergency).
Also, hospital beds are not like the regular beds, they are leathery and can't absorb fluid so you can see it's not as easy as it seems.

2 Likes

Re: Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student by tuoyoojo(m): 6:02pm On Aug 31, 2015
The students have every right to be angry but going around malhandling d medical staff is not the way forward

A look at the building would betray the endemic rot in d hospital(the algae infected walls)

How would destroying hospital facilities bring back the dead.

When doctors complain about poor work facilities , people are quick to castigate them and say they r too greed. Now we bare the brunt
The students should go to the their vc and complain. Or beta still the politicians that ate their money

UPTH belongs to everybody but does not belong to UNIPORt students alone. They have a health centre or sick bay. Denying other sick people access to doctors is by there protest is wicked

RIP to the dead

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? / Akwa Ibom Man With Head Cancer Whose Photos Went Viral Undergoes Surgery(pics) / How To Recognize A Stroke And What To Do To Prevent It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.