Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road (39674 Views)

Governor Ayade Cries In His Office Over The Condition Of Refugees. Photos / FG Orders Commencement Of Work On Calabar-Itu Road(pics) / Ayade And Kuru Ride On Calabar Monorail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by ijustdey: 10:23am On Aug 31, 2015
Motorists were on Saturday stranded at the Ekori/Obubra end of the Calabar-Ikom-Ogoja highway in Cross River State following the blockage of traffic by a fallen trailer.

Southern City News gathered on Sunday that among those stranded was the State Governor, Prof. Ben Ayade, who was on his way to his hometown, Obudu, for a thanksgiving service.

It was learnt that after attempts to clear the way failed, the governor and his entourage, had to make a detour through another route to get to his destination.

No fewer than 20 trailers and 60 other vehicles were trapped in the ensuing gridlock as they could not leave the vicinity until the road was cleared in the early hours of Sunday.

A stranded commuter, Benjamin Uche, described the bad state of the road as an apology to a state that prides itself as a tourist destination.

Uche said despite an allegation that the trailer driver did not observe caution when passing through the bad spot, the road had become a threat to road users.

“We got to this spot as early as 8am on Saturday and blocked the only good portion of the road. We became stranded as more vehicles and trailers came. The scene became rowdy when the governor and his entourage also joined us for a while.

“The security men tried to clear the way but it was obvious that they could not. They had to reverse to take another route. I do not know where they took but it was obvious they knew it was not a security matter.

“This road had remained like this in the last eight years. They will only just patch some portions during the dry season and when the rain comes it goes back to this bad state.

“The government is aware of the deplorable state of this federal road and nothing is being done to rebuild the road that was constructed nearly 40 years ago. It is a disgrace to Cross River State because we are known to pride ourselves as tourist destination. Is bad road part of what tourism is all about? Cross River State should answer that question for us,” he said.

It took the intervention of the Itigidi Unit of the Federal Road Safety Corps, following an order from the State Sector Commander, Mr. Ikechukwu Igwe, to clear the road, 18 hours after.

Confirming the development, Igwe told Southern City News the intervention of his men saved the situation, even as he lamented that the trailer that blocked the road was not road worthy as the tyres were incomplete.

Igwe urged motorists to be patient when they get to bad spots on the road, hinting that the trailer driver was probably impatient when he got to the bad spot.

“Road users should please, exercise patience when they get to bad spots. They should equally ensure that their vehicles are roadworthy before they pass through this type of road. The road got blocked completely because of the impatience of other road users.

“That was why vehicles got stranded and the road became impassable. This thing happened on Friday night and the road was eventually cleared on Sunday morning. I had to come from Calabar to ensure that the road was cleared,” Igwe said

http://www.punchng.com/city-news-feature/cross-river-gov-trapped-on-calabar-ikom-road/

Picture of the trailer that blocked the road

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by Poliporpor(m): 10:25am On Aug 31, 2015
He sud die there. The money they spend on buying cars is sufficient to build our roads. Now c accidents causing so many deaths on those roads n yet they don't care. He should have bought a flying car

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by magabounce(m): 10:25am On Aug 31, 2015
At least now the Governor knows 1st hand how bad that road is...
Mbok Junction down!!! such an eye sore

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by chymystique(f): 10:26am On Aug 31, 2015
kai! Why was he and his entourage not stuck on the muddy terrain? This is good @ least by next week he will do something about the road...

2 Likes

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by CUM4WHAT(m): 10:26am On Aug 31, 2015
[] [size=19pt] Goood [/size] []
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 31, 2015
Great
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by Oblitz(m): 10:27am On Aug 31, 2015
I see
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by DaBullIT(m): 10:28am On Aug 31, 2015
No picture of the governor on the road??

Everybody can't be a tout like fayose grin grin grin

MODIFIED
And for those who will quote to insult me

Says Governor was stuck on the road

Showed half baked pictures

Thought i would see the governor entering a truck or wearing 3/4 jeans and pants inspecting the road / accident

Just like Fayose is doing these days

Doesn't make sense to you but it makes sense to me , hence why you mustn't insult people if you don't know / understand how they think

1 Like

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by Islie: 10:29am On Aug 31, 2015
That good

Let see if any actions will be taken about the road since he had a first time experience on how bad the road could be
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by INTROVERT(f): 10:30am On Aug 31, 2015
helicopter will come pick him up.
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by SUGARBEE(f): 10:33am On Aug 31, 2015
Lol.. Let him experience what ordinary commuters face on the road

[size=15pt]#SUGARBEE[/size]

1 Like

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by abagoro(m): 10:33am On Aug 31, 2015
After people will start asking why Obudu and Tinapa are under performing. There is no road to Akwa Ibom and Cross River States. Internally they have good roads but they are completely cut off from the rest of the country. GEJ till 20pojoho!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by Houseofglam7(f): 10:37am On Aug 31, 2015
What is good for the goose is good for the gander
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by hassan85(m): 10:41am On Aug 31, 2015
Tanoids will blame it on PMB now. Unrepentant bigots. educated illiterates

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by Sunofgod(m): 10:43am On Aug 31, 2015
He no wan enter 'helicopter'?

He no wan enter local airline?

He no wan enter local 'speedboat/canoe'?

I no blame am . .. . make he remain dere!
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by okooloyun1(m): 10:43am On Aug 31, 2015
Ok
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by eleojo23: 10:43am On Aug 31, 2015
Really?
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by DrayZee: 10:43am On Aug 31, 2015
Suffer it. Shey you no wan do your state road!!!
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by moneysoldier2: 10:43am On Aug 31, 2015
Typical nigerian roads

Shame

1 Like

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by otijah(m): 10:44am On Aug 31, 2015
DaBullIT:
No picture of the governor on the road??

Everybody can't be a tout like fayose grin grin grin
read ur post again, and see if u made any sense

1 Like

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by Mutuwa(m): 10:44am On Aug 31, 2015
hmmm..

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by Fernandowski(m): 10:45am On Aug 31, 2015
*laughs and falls from MTN satellite*

In kid inks voice *thats how you know you fuccked up!!*
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by ammyluv2002(f): 10:45am On Aug 31, 2015
otijah:
read ur post again, and see if u made any sense
cheesy grin
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by umarc19: 10:46am On Aug 31, 2015
Trapped as in....
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 31, 2015

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by dhtml19(m): 10:46am On Aug 31, 2015
This road scared the hell out of me when i was doing my NYSC there. Always accident and tankers falling on that road. I was glad to leave the place arrive, and until that road is fixed, I am not looking forward to passing it ever again - my heart is always in my mouth, and I am always saying last prayers each time i passed that road.
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by HirstMOG(m): 10:47am On Aug 31, 2015
Are you sure there is a governor in that state Anyways thank God he has experienced what the common man goes through on our roads.
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by dhtml19(m): 10:47am On Aug 31, 2015
SunnyBlaze1:
Are those nairalanders yelling blue murder for pictures?

1 Like

Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by hensben(m): 10:47am On Aug 31, 2015
Ehen? Okay.
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by litetias(m): 10:48am On Aug 31, 2015
Deplorable.

Very affordable 3 bedroom, 2 bedroom and self-contain apartments in conducive environs in Warri is available for rent.

Just 1 yr upfront payment (Instead of the 2 years most landlords collect).

Contact me via my signature
Re: Governor Ayade Trapped On Calabar-Ikom Road by donholy28(m): 10:48am On Aug 31, 2015
Good excellent...d day rochas comes out in IMO state to push his car..den he will know that his roads are fake

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu’s N1m Bounty On South-East Governors’ Itinerary: IPOB Leader Blasted / Full Details Of FG Charges Against Sowore And Mandate (Charge sheet) / Inside Details On Why Cabal Is Angry With Osinbajo - Daily Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.