Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,997 members, 7,835,346 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial (547 Views)

Niger Delta Avengers Gives Conditions For Talks With Nigerian Government / Again, Saraki’s Supporters Invades CCT Trial, Demands Fairness Of Trial [PHOTOS] / Buhari Should Invite Looters For Talks —okogie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial by byteHead(m): 10:09am On Sep 01, 2015

The Catholic Archbishop Emeritus of Lagos, Anthony Cardinal Okogie, has advised President Muhammadu Buhari, to invite suspected looters of the country’s treasury for talks instead of castigating them publicly.

Okogie told The PUNCH that it was also cheaper to recover loot through dialogue than charging suspected public fund thieves to court.

“I agree with the National Peace Committee that the President should tread softly and should set criteria that he is going to use. Corruption is endemic in Nigeria. That is why they are asking for caution: ‘Look at it properly,’” he said.

The Archbishop Emeritus, who urged President Buhari to invite those suspected to have looted government treasury “to speak to their conscience,” warned that it would be difficult for the government to retrieve the loot as the suspects would use their financial resources to create legal hurdles for their prosecutors.

He said, “People like that, when they go to court, they don’t look right and left before they do things. If I have a man like that and I know he has the money, I will weigh the options; ‘will it profit the nation if I take this man to court. If I take him to court, he is going to get a lawyer. The lawyer will be employed with part of the money I am looking for.

“The lawyer will now start to ask for adjournments and all what not. I may not get this money until after four years. And the judge too, in the mean time, is getting (part of the loot); you will not know. He won’t just adjourn anyhow.

“The lawyer will invite his brother (the judge) to come and get part of the cake until half of it will be gone. We have to look at the issue from that angle. And you may end up getting nothing.”

Okogie urged the President to start his anti-graft war by “sanitising and purifying” the judiciary first.

“At least, you will know that three-quarters of the place is tight, and then you can start (the probe),” he added.

The fiery cleric, who decried the spate of moral decadence in the society, stated that it was the responsibility of the family to bring up the child well.

He lamented that parents were no more disciplined as before, saying, “These days, they don’t care anymore. That is not right; that is not how they were brought up.”

Okogie attributed the increasing spate of corruption in the country to declining moral upbringing of children.

He said, “Look at the probe that is going on now, for example; how can one person manage to get (steal) one-point-something billion; not even million but billion, and very soon you will hear of trillions? Where did he get it from? That is how it is going on, and he is from a family.

“And if his conscience worried him, he will run to his pastor to say ‘I want to pay tithe — 10 per cent; this is my tithe.’ The pastor collects the tithe. Seeing that it is huge money, the pastor will ask him, ‘what can I do for you?’ ”

http://www.today.ng/news/090111584-cardinal-okogie-advises-buhari-to-invite-looters-for-talks-instead-of-trial/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial by Singarapper: 10:11am On Sep 01, 2015
yupp
Re: Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial by donholy28(m): 10:11am On Sep 01, 2015
So after looting na talk dem go talk?..buhari no mind dix man just jail them
Re: Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial by fulanimafia: 10:12am On Sep 01, 2015
With all due respect, this scare mongering by Okogie is demeaning to his repute.

1. Can he claim to not have heard of the serious efforts this administration is putting in to identify and appoint judges with integrity to prosecute corruption cases in particular?

2. Under what framework would his proposed dialogue take place and how would it be regulated?

3. There should be no semblance of compromise in this fight. There should be no basis for treating criminals differently because of their past positions or wealth if the blind nature of serving justice is to be adhered with.
Re: Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial by tucky200(m): 10:13am On Sep 01, 2015
Re: Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial by phyllosilicate(m): 10:13am On Sep 01, 2015
Why are pastors differentiating between Rich and Poor thieves? Shouldn't the same law that is used for the poor be used for the rich?

1 Like

Re: Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial by Montaque(m): 10:24am On Sep 01, 2015
I don't like it when people fret at this anti corruption stance of pmb.
What's he gonna do sef that he hasn't done since?
Re: Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial by superstar1(m): 10:30am On Sep 01, 2015
What is wrong with our churches for goodness sake?

Buhari should also call for National Conference of Looters.

Rubbish.

What is now the function of our religious institutions if they cannot appeal to the conscience of people on Sundays and Fridays. We can as well do away with the churches and mosques then.

1 Like

Re: Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial by omolami: 10:35am On Sep 01, 2015
Okogie should face his church business, the issue here is not for harlot fuckers Only the harlots you negotiate with
Re: Cardinal Okogie Advises Buhari To Invite Looters For Talks Instead Of Trial by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 01, 2015
fulanimafia:
With all due respect, this scare mongering by Okogie is demeaning to his repute.

1. Can he claim to not have heard of the serious efforts this administration is putting in to identify and appoint judges with integrity to prosecute corruption cases in particular?

2. Under what framework would his proposed dialogue take place and how would it be regulated?

3. There should be no semblance of compromise in this fight. There should be no basis for treating criminals differently because of their past positions or wealth if the blind nature of serving justice is to be adhered with.

FYI the appointment of Judges is solely the responsibility of the CJN,the state CJs and the national judicial council. The president or any other arms of the executive do not have any input in the judge selection process.it is only the national judicial council is legally empowered to investigate or ascertain the integrity of judges.

(1) (Reply)

Barcanista King Of Wailers Sudden Appearance / With N30m Savings, Buhari May Be Africa’s Least Corrupt Leader – Report / In My Opinion, Looters Of National Treasury Should Face Firing Squad.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.