Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,145 members, 7,821,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge (7250 Views)

FEC Approves N80bn For Second Niger Bridge, Roads Construction In 12 States / FG Approves Work On Second Niger Bridge Onitsha. / ‘why Construction Of Second Niger Bridge May Be Put On Hold For Now’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Mynd44: 5:21pm On Sep 01, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Isn't BPE, Mins of Work etc under buhari?...Why can't he ascertain veracity of this project from them than allowing different figures & doubt about project existentiality flying around?...smh
Everything I have written from a cost of 117 billion to the length of 11.8km was said by the former minister for works, Mr. Mike Onolemene at the ground breaking un the presence of President Jonathan.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/03/last-jonathan-kicks-construction-2nd-niger-bridge/

Please try another angle

1 Like

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Whynotthetruth(m): 5:22pm On Sep 01, 2015
asha80:
from the schematics I saw somewhere before the bridge is supposed to burst out at somewhere near ozubulu along owerri Onitsha express and then continue to meet Enugu pnitsha express at a point I cannot remember now

I don't know sha...but based on areas stated here, then it is mostly that 44km...
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Whynotthetruth(m): 5:24pm On Sep 01, 2015
Mynd44:

Everything I have written from a cost of 117 billion to the length of 11.8km was said by the former minister for works, Mr. Mike Onolemene at the ground breaking un the presence of President Jonathan.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/03/last-jonathan-kicks-construction-2nd-niger-bridge/

Please try another angle

And there's a counter information showing that both price was beat down while mileage increased but you chose to be mischievous...
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by tobtap: 5:28pm On Sep 01, 2015
intrepid:

@Tobtap,you are in love with that word such that you even CAPITALISED it.

I'm sure you didn't read both the original article and the countering piece posted there by Mynd44.

You simply registered you presence. Clap for yourself
dude..i didnt read the whole article initially,but the thread was misleading in the initial paragraph ..there is no way that bridge cud be 44km.. which drew my initial reaction.. cheers

1 Like

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Abagworo(m): 5:28pm On Sep 01, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Why not try BPE site or even this article here...cost is 108b not 117b or 138b or 140b bandied by Oshiomole and co...

Anyway, buhari/APC want to cancel the project probably to punish SE for snubbing them hence instigates such controversy as this and simply rely on it to cancel it out...

Isn't BPE, Mins of Work etc under buhari?...Why can't he ascertain veracity of this project from them than allowing different figures & doubt about project existentiality flying around?...smh

Obasanjo awarded that bridge in 2007 but nothing came of it till 2010 when Jonathan re-awarded same bridge but 6 years later nothing still came off Jonathan's efforts. I believe Jonathan like his predecessors played politics with the bridge hence it being at starting stage in 2015.

I believe Buhari is a sincere leader and will build that bridge in all sincerity or cancel it in all sincerity.

1 Like

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Whynotthetruth(m): 5:29pm On Sep 01, 2015
Mynd44:

Does that justify a differential of 88billion?

It justifies price differential taking cognizance of mileage covered(44km) and other factors including %interest over time for companies investing in the project...
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Mynd44: 5:32pm On Sep 01, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

And there's a counter information showing that both price was beat down while mileage increased but you chose to be mischievous...

“The Project was initially estimated to cost N108 billion, excluding duties and Value Added Tax, but if duties and VAT are included, the Project cost is N117.9 billion,”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/n435-4m-spent-on-second-niger-bridge-nsia/

Please stop lying. The bridge will cost 117 billion, the price was never beaten down or you want to cut out the charges for duties and Tax? What is it with you people and lying?

1 Like

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by tobtap: 5:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
hinwazaka:

When the deal was struck between the contracting firm and the government, the president forced a review of the cost downwards. Even the same Easterners you continually lambast, complained of the payment policy. This was resolved by the Anambra govenor, who enlightened the aggrieved parties on the importance of the construction of the bridge, over that of cost. Hence the commencement of the bridge construction.
dude...i dont lambast easterners...i lambast the ones that make UNPROVEN,CLEARLY SENTIMENTAL CLAIMS without concrete evidence to back dem up... u can check all my comment history as proof.. as per the thread,the anambra guvnor did his work...he was elected to develop the state and 2nd niger bridge is a development in all area.. cheers
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Mynd44: 5:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

It justifies price differential taking cognizance of mileage covered(44km) and other factors including %interest over time for companies investing in the project...
Lmaoooo....

Your lies are not working here.

The Former minister for works, Mr. Mike Onolemenen at the ground breaking ceremony in front of President Jonathan said

"The Second Niger Bridge, he explained, was 1,590 metres long and forms part of the 11.90 km length project which construction cost was put at N117, 860, 700, 741. 82 vat inclusive"

And you are here saying something else. Please where will the remaining length come from? Note that I have also posted a map showing you the intended route of the bridge.

But keep denying and lying it is what you do best

1 Like

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by chigoizie7(m): 5:48pm On Sep 01, 2015
asha80:
from the schematics I saw somewhere before the bridge is supposed to burst out at somewhere near ozubulu along owerri Onitsha express and then continue to meet Enugu pnitsha express at a point I cannot remember now

If it should burst out @ ozubulu to connect Onitsha-Enugu expressway without touching onitsha town, then it must be around around njikoka side, and if u don't want to spend the whole 107billion for compensation on peoples properties then it will be longer, whichever way, it will cost more money.

And if u want to touch any of these town to connect to enugu-onitsha expressway then u will have to double that budget which I don't see happening(obosi,onitsha,umuoji,nkpor,ogidi or even abatete, all down, towards. Njikoka or oyi) for compensation. I also bet they are not touching the old road, and for not touching old road, the distance goes on and on and on.

Btw, these are speculations
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Whynotthetruth(m): 5:52pm On Sep 01, 2015
Abagworo:

Obasanjo awarded that bridge in 2007 but nothing came of it till 2010 when Jonathan re-awarded same bridge but 6 years later nothing still came off Jonathan's efforts. I believe Jonathan like his predecessors played politics with the bridge hence it being at starting stage in 2015.

I believe Buhari is a sincere leader and will build that bridge in all sincerity or cancel it in all sincerity.

Its shameless ediots like you who pray for its cancellation... onuku

I remember all you wrote here denying its existence...

Obj played politics with it...which Ike Ekweremmadu openly said and castigated him for...

Jonathan never played any politics with it...Since he started it, work has been ongoing nonstop....Not everybody is a rogue and thief like you and Rochas....

1 Like

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by aresa: 6:03pm On Sep 01, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Why not try BPE site or even this article here...cost is 108b not 117b or 138b or 140b bandied by Oshiomole and co...

Anyway, buhari/APC want to cancel the project probably to punish SE for snubbing them hence instigates such controversy as this and simply rely on it to cancel it out...

It is in the best interest of the people of SE and Nigerians for the present admin to cancel the project and re award the contract and to be funded by the FG instead of what GEJ saddled the people of that region with which is a tolled bridged that you you and tour people are going to pay for out of your pocket for 30 years.

A bridge that's funded by the FG/People of Nigeria which you and the people of that region won't have to pay for out of their pocket for 30 years or the present arrangement making you and your children pay for your own bridge.

It just beats me why you think you as the only people saddled with the only toll bridge in Nigeria that you and your children have to pay for while the rest of the country enjoy free roads, bridges and infrastructures is a good thing.

You people are so deep into tribalism and pre occupied with hatred to see and do what's best for yourselves.

What a sad shame..

1 Like

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Whynotthetruth(m): 6:04pm On Sep 01, 2015
Mynd44:

“The Project was initially estimated to cost N108 billion, excluding duties and Value Added Tax, but if duties and VAT are included, the Project cost is N117.9 billion,”
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/08/n435-4m-spent-on-second-niger-bridge-nsia/

Please stop lying. The bridge will cost 117 billion, the price was never beaten down or you want to cut out the charges for duties and Tax? What is it with you people and lying?

The project is being constructed under a Public Private Partnership (PPP) scheme. A Consortium JB-NSIA, is working on the project on the basis of Design, Build, Finance, Operate and Transfer (DBFOT), at a total cost of N108 billion. The Bureau of Public Procurement (BPP) reviewed the concessionaire’s cost of N138 billion down to N108billion. The project phases will be constructed under Engineering, Procurement and Construction contracts awarded by the Federal Ministry of Works (FMW).
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by hinwazaka: 6:08pm On Sep 01, 2015
Ask the contractor.
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Whynotthetruth(m): 6:12pm On Sep 01, 2015
Mynd44:

Lmaoooo....

Your lies are not working here.

The Former minister for works, Mr. Mike Onolemenen at the ground breaking ceremony in front of President Jonathan said

"The Second Niger Bridge, he explained, was 1,590 metres long and forms part of the 11.90 km length project which construction cost was put at N117, 860, 700, 741. 82 vat inclusive"

And you are here saying something else. Please where will the remaining length come from? Note that I have also posted a map showing you the intended route of the bridge.

But keep denying and lying it is what you do best

Smh...No need arguing back and forth with someone who decided to be mischievous...
My last reply you on this issue is;

11km was written in your link...but Op has 44km and going by the towns named which the road/bridge connects and passes through; then the figure is simply correct by my own estimate...

Your map showed Asaba vs Onitsha...But Op showed the road runs through to Nkwelle-Ezunaka...a town outside Onitsha including bypassing Nkpor etc Any road covering such mileage is worth 44km....Till you prove that such distance isn't worth 44km then you have no case....thanks
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Whynotthetruth(m): 6:18pm On Sep 01, 2015
aresa:

It is in the best interest of the people of SE and Nigerians for the present admin to cancel the project and re award the contract and to be funded by the FG instead of what GEJ saddled the people of that region with which is a tolled bridged that you you and tour people are going to pay for out of your pocket for 30 years.

A bridge that's funded by the FG/People of Nigeria which you and the people of that region won't have to pay for out of their pocket for 30 years or the present arrangement making you and your children pay for your own bridge.

It just beats me why you think you as the only people saddled with the only toll bridge in Nigeria that you and your children have to pay for while the rest of the country enjoy free roads, bridges and infrastructures is a good thing.

You people are so deep into tribalism and pre occupied with hatred to see and do what's best for yourselves.
What a sad shame

bolded describes you...Reason why I don't mention or answer any of your mention because you're both a sadist and bigot(tribalist) of worst type....

BTW SE aren't complaining of the toll...Wonder why you cry more than bereaved...Can you love me more than I love myself...Buhari should Allow the work go on...and toll it...I don't care so far I have value for my money....Value here is good job done on the road....thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by aresa: 6:32pm On Sep 01, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

bolded describes you...Reason why I don't mention or answer any of your mention because you're both a sadist and bigot(tribalist) of worst type....

BTW SE aren't complaining of the toll...Wonder why you cry more than bereaved...Can you love me more than I love myself...Buhari should Allow the work go on...and toll it...I don't care so far I have value for my money....Value here is good job done on the road....thanks

1. The fact that you think paying for 30 years out of your pocket for what should be like the rest of Nigeria makes zero sense, it's foolish and irresponsible and I see no justification for it apart from you people's usual tribal fixations.

2. There is zero value in overpaying many times over for what should be free to start with in the first place. You must have your own personal and warped interpretation for the word value...

2 Likes

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by aresa: 6:46pm On Sep 01, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Smh...No need arguing back and forth with someone who decided to be mischievous...
My last reply you on this issue is;

11km was written in your link...but Op has 44km and going by the towns named which the road/bridge connects and passes through; then the figure is simply correct by my own estimate...

Your map showed Asaba vs Onitsha...But Op showed the road runs through to Nkwelle-Ezunaka...a town outside Onitsha including bypassing Nkpor etc Any road covering such mileage is worth 44km....Till you prove that such distance isn't worth 44km then you have no case....thanks

There is no documented reference beyond 11.90 km.

1 Like

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Whynotthetruth(m): 6:46pm On Sep 01, 2015
aresa:

1. The fact that you think paying for 30 years out of your pocket for what should be like the rest of Nigeria makes zero sense, it's foolish and irresponsible and I see no justification for it apart from you people's usual tribal fixations.

2. There is zero value in overpaying many times over for what should be free to start with in the first place. You must have your own personal and warped interpretation for the word value...

Thanks...Good to know you're concerned about my wellbeing more I do for myself...

I believe Osun, Oyo etc needs that love more than we do...extend it to them plzzz....BTW its not 30yrs...thanks
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by Whynotthetruth(m): 6:50pm On Sep 01, 2015
aresa:

There is no documented reference beyond 11.90 km.

smh... What is written on the article you're commenting?...

Or you hosted simply jumped in to talk without reading the Op Is it 44km for 108b or your 11km for 117b?...What's written on BPE site?....smh
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by specco(m): 8:06pm On Sep 01, 2015
asha80:
How can the bridge burst out at Ozubulu on Onitsha- Owerri exp. rd and then continue leftwards to meet Onitsha - Enugu rd at a point. Confused pls throw more light.
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by asha80(m): 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2015
specco:

How can the bridge burst out at Ozubulu on Onitsha- Owerri exp. rd and then continue leftwards to meet Onitsha - Enugu rd at a point. Confused pls throw more light.
it will go back up to meet Enugu Onitsha express at a point...to be honest I am not too sure of that drawing because I kinda found it cumbersome

2 Likes

Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by abagoro(m): 8:58pm On Sep 01, 2015
The jamboree on that bridge should end once and for all with Buhari. All the successive governments used the bridge to play politics with Igbos with Jonathan's being the latest and most deceitful.

Obasanjo in 2005

February 28, 2005

Obasanjo raises hope on 2nd Niger bridge

PRESIDENT Olusegun Obasanjo last night reiterated his
administration’s resolve to refurbish the River Niger bridge
and also disclosed that work on the proposed second bridge
will commence soon.

President Obasanjo revealed these while speaking during
the monthly media programme.
Noting that the government cannot afford to ignore the
existing bridge, President Obasanjo said work on the
proposed new six-lane bridge will commence in the next six
months once the National Assembly passes the law which
will protect private sector investments in the country.
"You don’t ignore refurbishing a bridge until you have a new
one. We have to refurbish and strengthen the existing
bridge to avoid calamity.

"A new six-lane bridge to be built by both the public and
private sectors is coming soon. A bill to protect private
investments is already in the National Assembly. Within six
months of signing into law of the bill, if it is not the raining
season, the second Onitsha-Asaba bridge will commence,"
President Obasanjo explained.

On the Onitsha-Owerri road, the president expressed
optimism that work on the road project will soon be
completed, explaining that the project has been awarded to
two contractors with each working from the Onitsha and
Owerri axis respectively.

Cancelled in 2010 by Jonathan

FG revokes N59bn 2nd Niger Bridge contract
on june 17, 2010 at 2:55 am in news
Facebook Share Twitter Share

….Denies N10bn budget jump for Independence celebration
By Daniel Idonor
THE Federal Executive Council, FEC, yesterday, at its weekly
meeting, terminated the non-performing N58.6 billion
Second Niger Bridge contract.

The plum contract, Vanguard gathered, was cancelled due
to lack of competence on the side of the consultant, as
government said a job of such magnitude required the
services of an internationally-acclaimed consultant.

FEC had at its meeting of 6 May 2007 approved the award of
the contract on Public Private Partnership, PPP, to an
Italian firm, Gitto Construction Company, on concession
arrangement for 30 years to be constructed within 36
months for N58.6 billion.

The equity participation for the project was 60 per cent
private and 40 per cent public, of which the governmentâ
€™s equity was 20 per cent and 10 per cent each for
Anambra and Delta state governments. For several reasons,
the project could not be executed.

But, briefing State House Correspondents after the meeting,
the Minister of Information and Communications, Professor
Dora Akunyili and her Minister of State, Mr. Labaran Maku,
said: “after consideration, Council approved the
vacation of EC (2007) 18th Meeting, Conclusion 39 of
Wednesday 16Â May, 2007 and approved that the Ministry
of Works should engage a reputable project consultant and
commence a new procurement process for an award of
contract for the Second Niger Bridge project, on a fast-track
basis.
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by vanunu: 11:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
A railway track is also included in the construction of the bridge. The king of the north is a sadist, God is watching him.
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by aresa: 12:05am On Sep 02, 2015
[s]
Whynotthetruth:

Thanks...Good to know you're concerned about my wellbeing more I do for myself...

I believe Osun, Oyo etc needs that love more than we do...extend it to them plzzz....BTW its not 30yrs...thanks
[/s]

This is more about realities than your silly well being.
Re: Facts You Didnt Know About The Second Niger Bridge by dokyOloye: 12:14am On Sep 02, 2015
undecided :Pa
hinwazaka:
The second Niger bridge project was put together by the GEJ administration, and no one can take it away fqrom him. The PDP, for whatever strategic reason, known to them, chose to cede power to the APC, and so allowed all the unintelligent lies told against them. Everyone, knew that work had commenced on the Niger, but there was a sort of opaque journalism on the situation of the project. Now, the shroud covering the project has been torn, and the true revelations on the state of the project is becoming clear to all Nigerians. Hence the new barrage of lies being put out to the people, so as to distract us from the truth. Likew)_ise with the ri==_diclulous review put in place, to slow down construction, so that when it is eventually completed, all Nigerians will remember is the fictitious allegations against it's benefactor.
)

(1) (2) (Reply)

NSCDC Discover Bomb Making Factories In Borno / Disturbing Pictures Of Inmates From Nigerian Prisons Ugwashi Ukwu / Alleged N117bn Debt: I’m Not Afraid Of Any Probe, Says Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.