Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,223 members, 7,825,849 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? (6632 Views)

Ghana Visa Requirement For Nigerians From July / Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K / Photos Of The Coffins Where 4 Nigerians To Be Killed In Indonesia Will Be Buried (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by INZ: 9:32pm On Apr 02, 2009
Give Me Reasons Why Nigerians should  Stay Back Home In 9ja

We need to encourage fellow Nigerians to stay back home, just give me reasons that you have plz. This can be your contribution to national development.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by Orobert: 1:58pm On Apr 06, 2009
Let them gooooooooooooooooooo. we can work it out without them
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by blacksta(m): 8:58pm On Apr 06, 2009
Niaja is Emerging country with a return on investment of about 15% - 45% . You just need to find something to do as Indians and chinese are doing it
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by SisiJinx: 11:02pm On Apr 06, 2009
Errr. . . coz no other country wants 'em?

Okay, seriously. . . is this a trick question?
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by noetic(m): 11:17pm On Apr 06, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Errr. . . coz no other country wants 'em?

Okay, seriously. . . is this a trick question?
got me laughin hard. . . lol grin grin grin grin grin
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by Cenk: 12:14am On Apr 07, 2009
No reason to stay please
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by ogbronx(m): 12:46am On Apr 07, 2009
it doesnt matter where one stays.if your success path is outside the shores of this country,go for it.stay here if you got ur way.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by tbaba83(m): 1:28am On Apr 07, 2009
stay 4 wot? after nysc i stayed at home 4 one year with no job. so mr poster u are expectin me 2 stay at home and let mummy be counting meat from pot 4 me abi.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by velmaN(f): 4:37am On Apr 07, 2009
Abeg I need reasons, bin out for a while, was @ home last Christmas, and Gosh!!!! I do need reasons to stay back in Naija, and apart from my folks/parents, I donno?? But I do know that not all oyinbo folks live in their land and I bet it applies to Nigerians too. Maybe not every Nigerian is cut out to stay in Naija.
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by sley4life(m): 6:07am On Apr 07, 2009
if every1 stays where is job for them? abi una provide job for those one in 9ja
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by FBS: 7:04am On Apr 07, 2009
Home is where your heart is at peace. Wherever that is, stay there.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by sley4life(m): 9:04am On Apr 07, 2009
if u home is iraq or vietnam wuld u stay there?
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by kaygee1234: 9:09am On Apr 07, 2009
sley4life:

Another myopic individual. And who says the modern day Vietnam is not improving better than the war ravaged nation it used to be and by the way, who says the West don't want Iraq to get better after the attrocities? Think man, think. The West would rather focus on Iraq right now than Nigeria.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by popoyeh(m): 9:36am On Apr 07, 2009
This question depends on each individual, but really what reasons do we have not to stay to develop our own economy??

I have never been outside the shores of Nigeria except for an excursion to Seme, but l have every reason to believe not everyone of us have to go outside to make it, l am a living testimony to that.

I used to want to leave the country at all costs and believe me, l have tried numerous options you won't even expect someone my age to think of less attempting; both legal and illegal. It all culminated in me with some fellow 'no do goods' attempting to sow away aboard a ship to Holland from Lagos, no doubt if we had made the trip, l would be past tense today.

We spent more than 3 hours in a speed boat on the high seas to get to where the ship we were supposed to board was berthed; in the middle of the night only for them to see us and raise alarm. On our way coming back, after our botched attempt at boarding around 1 am, we were met along the way by Naija marine policemen who chased us with their boats. I can't begin to explain what we went through on these pages, but l can tell you it was hell all because l wanted to leave the country.

To cut a long story short, l survived the ordeal less than 30 months ago, but l made up my mind after the whole episode not to travel outside Naija except l become a millionaire here in Naija first and l can tell you l am right on track. I intend to make my first trip outside the country next year and l can tell you l will be traveling with enough 'dough' made here in Nigeria.

We don't all have to be employees, we can be employers right here in Nigeria, the reason l am saying all these here is cos l want at least one or two people to learn from my story. At the time of our planning our trip, l was in my 2nd year at the university, now l am a graduate, but before writing my final exams, l already have my real estate business running and l am creating employment for the two people working with me.

For now, if l am given a visa free of charge, l won't refuse, but definitely l won't be using it this year as my business here in Naija is more important than whatever l would want to do in another man's land.

No place can be like home, we don't have to wait for the government to provide us with jobs, have you taken a good look at yourself and your abilities?? If you haven't, please do and you will be suprised you are not already creating employment here in Naija with what you have got.

PEACE!!

1 Like

Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by Redman44(m): 10:03am On Apr 07, 2009
There is no place like home. Though I'm not in Naija at the moment, I love my fatherland. I will be coming back to Nigeria when I'm through with what I'm doing here. I know many of us will give a lot of reasons why we should not stay in our country. I also agree that Living in Nigeria could be tough and daunting, but I've come to realize that the grass is not always greener on the other side. I just want to give this simple advice: If you're able to travel abroad, study how things are done in your country of abode, work hard [ hardwork does not kill and it pays in the end ], save up some money [ You can save money if you're determined ] , and come back to start a business in Nigeria. We cannot continue enjoying the infrastructure and facilities of other countries. We need to embark on the development of Nigeria after seeing how things are done in countries like Britain, USA, Canada, Ireland, Sweden, Belgium, Holland etc etc.

I was told of a lady from Ghana who came to the UK on a 2yr visa. This lady knew what she wanted to achieve from the onset. She did up to 4 different jobs and worked extremely hard for those two years. She did not allow herself to be distracted by what other ladies were doing in London. Many of her friends and relatives thought she was mad. She rented a small room and bought food and clothing at a bargain or on ebay. She was spartan in her lifestyle and frugal in her spending. At the end of the day, she packed her bags and returned to Ghana. She returned with more than 10,000 pounds. Today, she lives like a queen in her country.

The Development of Nigeria lies in our hands. No one will do it for us. This is the right time for us to start investing in our country. No matter how small the investment is. I don't want to say much but I know what I'm doing. If you're abroad right now, this is for you. Sit down and think of a biz or project you can carry out in Nigeria. Look around you and see what business models you can replicate back home. If you're determined and hardworking, I can assure you that you're on the path of really making it in life. Enjoy your stay abroad but have Nigeria at the back of your mind. Cheers.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by biggozz(m): 10:17am On Apr 07, 2009
Guys, lets change this irresponsible attitude of asking where is job and all those comlaints, we have today Malasia, China, India and Singapore as good examples of what a hopeless nation can make happen if the people would take individual responsibilities.
Instead of yammering about lack of jobs, why not believe in yourself and turn it to an opportunity for you to build your own organisation and create jobs.
Change your minds people!
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by Epiphany(m): 11:28am On Apr 07, 2009
ogbronx:

it doesnt matter where one stays.if your success path is outside the shores of this country,go for it.stay here if you got ur way.

I love this answer. My best so far.

Anyone can stay anywhere in the world as long as you can make a success of it. The best and most prosperous countries in the world have their citizens living outside those countries for reasons best known to them. There are Americans in Iraq, Pakistan etc, who are not soldiers or in those countries on peace keeping missions. They are making money, going about their businesses - either working for international organizations or sometimes, for themselves. What are their reasons for NOT wanting to stay in America (since we all think it is such a 'heavenly place'?)

To be fair, there are reasons for Nigerians to stay in Nigeria - it is our home, we should help rebuild the country in whatever way we can, there are so many entrepreneurship/innovative opportunities, we can do and undo (and we cant be deported grin) etc

There are reasons for us NOT to stay in Nigeria also - if we get better opportunities outside (good education, health, jobs), we want to live with some peace of mind (for those of us who dont have the means to get it in Nigeria), we are honest and simple people (to live comfortably in Naija, you have to hustle to make that money, whether you like it or not). Or maybe you just want to turn on your tap and water flows, iron your clothes and there is electricity, travel from one city to the next and there are clean trains, buses, good roads; you enter a shop and the attendants offer very good customer service and treat you like a customer, you sleep and live your windows open for the breeze to come in (no burglary proof everywhere like you are in prison etc.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by chukxy44(m): 12:00pm On Apr 07, 2009
biggozz:

Guys, lets change this irresponsible attitude of asking where is job and all those comlaints, we have today Malasia, China, India and Singapore as good examples of what a hopeless nation can make happen if the people would take individual responsibilities.
Instead of yammering about lack of jobs, why not believe in yourself and turn it to an opportunity for you to build your own organisation and create jobs.
Change your minds people!

I would like to ask u a simple question and that is how did u generate ur first capital. it is not really about starting, being on ur own or been a lazy citizen. the fact about nigeria is this, it is either you have money or you have someone who can loan u, and if u tink of banks(Mirco Finance bank Inclusive) then u would have the same kind of experience i presently hold. I have a runing nose, with a head that is hiting like hell and my temperature would bost any thermometer that you bring close to to my body this simply means am seriously sick. I just decided to log on to read a post that might easy the burden am caryy, all becose i have several wounderful plans and i have decided to invest in one of my creative ideals. By my projection if i had the Loan of #500,000.00 naira i have been chasing for over a month now, i would be willing to stay and help rebiuld the falling wallls of jeruslam but the truth is am stuck, I have to pay about 95-98K on several charges raning from administraive cost, to cot, to vat on cot to interest. I wish i could just get a ride wake up and disappear but the fact is I have family and love one and am really d irreponsible fellow, the worst part is I am presently carrying a work load in office that use to be two other people responsiblity just to ensure that the finance management submit a profit as fiance report. I can't possible type all am going through all because i don't want to have my children write post such as this in future.
sley4life:

Is not that nigerians are to survivals but the fact still remains that we have no aid, ineletricity, water, road, housing, food name itpresently am suppose to raise 100k as customers contribution for 500k yet this is not part of the other charges all because of one single loan to invest in a bussiness. May be the rich and the favoured will not understand but my strenght cmes from the other end were there are people with the same quest to achive success but can not help it. We love our country but want can it offer, job- I have dat but they pay me half of wat my predecessor was earning yet she did not do half of wat am presently doing. I can go on and on but am sick and tired of Nigerian government , the non supportive economy and there Banks . Pls. do over look my typing errors cause am just not me.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by sley4life(m): 12:04pm On Apr 07, 2009
kaygee1234:

Another myopic individual. And who says the modern day Vietnam is not improving better than the war ravaged nation it used to be and by the way, who says the West don't want Iraq to get better after the attrocities? Think man, think. The West would rather focus on Iraq right now than Nigeria.

common, green snake in green grass u are. Y not stay in ur village? why do u go to the city to hussle, wherever makes u feel happy then reside there
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by naijacutee(f): 12:08pm On Apr 07, 2009
popoyeh:

This question depends on each individual, but really what reasons do we have not to stay to develop our own economy??

I have never been outside the shores of Nigeria except for an excursion to Seme, but l have every reason to believe not everyone of us have to go outside to make it, l am a living testimony to that.

I used to want to leave the country at all costs and believe me, l have tried numerous options you won't even expect someone my age to think of less attempting; both legal and illegal. It all culminated in me with some fellow 'no do goods' attempting to sow away aboard a ship to Holland from Lagos, no doubt if we had made the trip, l would be past tense today.

We spent more than 3 hours in a speed boat on the high seas to get to where the ship we were supposed to board was berthed; in the middle of the night only for them to see us and raise alarm. On our way coming back, after our botched attempt at boarding around 1 am, we were met along the way by Naija marine policemen who chased us with their boats. I can't begin to explain what we went through on these pages, but l can tell you it was hell all because l wanted to leave the country.

To cut a long story short, l survived the ordeal less than 30 months ago, but l made up my mind after the whole episode not to travel outside Naija except l become a millionaire here in Naija first and l can tell you l am right on track. I intend to make my first trip outside the country next year and l can tell you l will be traveling with enough 'dough' made here in Nigeria.

We don't all have to be employees, we can be employers right here in Nigeria, the reason l am saying all these here is cos l want at least one or two people to learn from my story. At the time of our planning our trip, l was in my 2nd year at the university, now l am a graduate, but before writing my final exams, l already have my real estate business running and l am creating employment for the two people working with me.

For now, if l am given a visa free of charge, l won't refuse, but definitely l won't be using it this year as my business here in Naija is more important than whatever l would want to do in another man's land.

No place can be like home, we don't have to wait for the government to provide us with jobs, have you taken a good look at yourself and your abilities?? If you haven't, please do and you will be suprised you are not already creating employment here in Naija with what you have got.

PEACE!!

Wow! What an excellent and inspiring story!!
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by ayobase(m): 12:39pm On Apr 07, 2009
ogbronx:

That was a good one ogbronx.
but that answer is much based on a question like
'"Is Nigeria The Only Place Where One Can Make It?"

The question is what reasons can u give
for Nigerians to stay in Nigeria and stop
this stupid mentality of I-must-go to USA or Britain
before I could possibly make it in life!!

The fact is that some will never wanna see reasonS
with u until they have gone to learn their lessons.

My piece of advice is this,
As a Nigerian u need to put ur
initiative into use before there can be a way forward.

I know of this young 22 years old guy that
started these online biz last year, he is building his second
house as I am replying now!!

But if u want to have yours BAD EXPERIENCE as ur teacher, then beit!!
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by ayobase(m): 12:54pm On Apr 07, 2009
yes , that was good!
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by tbaba83(m): 1:03pm On Apr 07, 2009
sley4life:

common, green snake in green grass u are. Y not stay in ur village? why do u go to the city to hussle, wherever makes u feel happy then reside there

THANK U O. NO MIND THESE HYPOCRITES. TALKING ABOUT STAYING BACK AND DEVELOPING NIGERIA, WOT A LAUGH. IF U WANT ME TO COME BACK HOME ALL OF U PEOPLE SHOULD LEAVE LAGOS/ABUJA AND GO BACK TO YOUR STATES OF ORIGIN AND DEVELOP IT.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by honeric01(m): 1:24pm On Apr 07, 2009
If only you won't leave Nigeria with the believe that you can't be a somebody here.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by Redman44(m): 1:31pm On Apr 07, 2009
I know how it feels to live abroad. I also know how it feels to live in Nigeria. Sincerely, it takes the grace of God to survive in Britain. With the current recession, a lot of Africans are having it rough in Europe. I am not about to bore you with tales of woe here. I'm okay and not doing badly. I have been able to observe how things work in the UK. It was until I travelled to Britain that I came to realize that many of the images we see on TV about this place are phantom. Don't get me wrong, Britain is an Industrialized nation. It is also one of the wealthiest nations in the world. However, there are a lot of things going on in the country. There are poor people in the United Kingdom too. Infact, official statistics state that about 1.4 milion children live in poverty in Britain. I have also come across many homeless people on the streets of London. That is why I laugh when many Nigerians thinks money can picked on the streets of London. You need to work hard for the money. That is the truth. Unless you want to do fraud. And God help you if the Anti Fraud -Unit of the Metropolitan Police comes after you.

I believe we can change the way things are done in Nigeria by putting our hearts to it. It is the responsibility of all of us to make things work in Nigeria. I hold this belief that anybody who has innate creative abilities can survive in Nigeria today. Innovation, creativity and hardwork is the way out of poverty in Nigeria. We have to walk the walk and do the hardwork of promoting our businesses. That is why I'm using my blog to give Nigerians all kinds of creative ideas and how to promote their business. I have my own personal business ideas and projects, but I'm keeping them to myself for now.  I will swing into action very soon.  There are a lot of business ideas flying in the air and we only need to catch the vision. When Nigerians start getting entrepreneurial, there will be no need for many of them to travel out of the country. However, if you're abroad right now, start saving some pounds, euros or dollars weekly. Start thinking of what you can do back home. By being abroad, you should have learnt one or two things about business and entrepreneurship. Don't be afraid of starting small in Nigeria. Nigeria is open for fresh ways of doing things now. Just look at Nairalist.com and Kerewa.com. These are two classified advert websites that are growing strongly in Nigeria. Think of what you can do too. Like I said earlier on, there is nowhere like home. Cheers.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by kevd2: 2:26pm On Apr 07, 2009
The illusion that right now things can get better in Nigeria is a myth.I'm not being pessimistic , Im just being very realistic.We Nigerians at home have allowed our country to be hijacked by a cabal(PDP) and they that we are very docile and cannot think properly.The conditions for investment and private enterprise are just is almost non-existent.
1-First of all there is a strong monopoly on crucial infrastructres for business and certain businesses, that has beeen hijacked--thats a fact, no amount of patriotic talk can obscure this fact.if you are not connected to this people , no hope for you.
2- some of the very leaders that claim to speak for us (Govenors, Senators, Representatives and civil service) cannot approve any business ideas without collecting bribes that far offset thethe capital and profit combined.How can honest business thrive in such an evnvironment.Eg try and get a local contract and see how much bribes you will have to pay.Its not worth it.
3- complete collapse of infrastructure particularly Power and Fuel supply.Tthe average Nigerian at home does not seem to care.
4- the fetish and ignorant behavior of nigerians in General.(from tribalism,nepotism ,cryonism, hatred for innovation,discrimation against youth and novel ideas from youth by our elders,hatred for success, inabilty to use/pay bank loans etc).
These are some of the mammoth roblems that you face as an entrepreneur in this country.Yes there are some succeses, put that pales in comparison to the number of businesses that could have flourished if these factors were corrected.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by BabyGirl5: 2:52pm On Apr 07, 2009
It's not always employment that makes people leave the country. One day my Daddy came to home and just said me and my others sibling were going back to London, for reasons best known to him and that was it and within days we all left. That’s how a number of my friends also left the country, not because they were seeking to leave. I have siblings who have now decided that they want to go back and live in Nigeria, also a number of my friends have gone back to Nigeria to live - And it's not because they're not making it here - No, they're doing fine.

But I must agree with the comments that say - Home is Home - there's something that's not the same when you're away from home, no matter what country you're in and a time just comes that people just want to go back home irrespective of the condition.

I think that's what we need to understand. When Abraham and then Isaac in his time wanted to leave to go to Egypt because of then famine in the land, God told them to stay and He said in this land (Where there was famine) I will bless you. And they were blessed mightily in the land. When God blesses a man he is blessed even if in lives in the bush.

A number of Nigeria's are suffering as a result of not being were they’re suppose to be and it's sad. People think when they come aboard it will all be well – Only if they could see or know the true story of Nigerians who are suffering, some sleeping rough something they’ll never do at home, in mental homes and their parents don’t even know, some have been without jobs for years – Ah it’s a sad state of affairs, but there are Nigeria's, especially the men, when I look at Nigerians who are suffering here I really feel like crying for them, wasted years just trying to get out of the country and now they still have nothing to show for their years and still trying to sort themselves out, their prime time in life has been wasted, destinies destroyed all in the name of coming abroad. Don’t get me wrong, there are Nigeria’s who are making it clean and good –BUT, man, there’s a lot suffering, more so men.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by ohaechesi(m): 2:56pm On Apr 07, 2009
very impressive ideas from folks, most of you has contributed immensely on this topic. i really appreciate all your contribution but lets look at security wise. For those of us who has not heard a sound of gunshot for years since we left Nigeria for offshores, don't you think that alone could reduce ones life span
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by sley4life(m): 3:07pm On Apr 07, 2009
tbaba83:

THANK U O. NO MIND THESE HYPOCRITES. TALKING ABOUT STAYING BACK AND DEVELOPING NIGERIA, WOT A LAUGH. IF U WANT ME TO COME BACK HOME ALL OF U PEOPLE SHOULD LEAVE LAGOS/ABUJA AND GO BACK TO YOUR STATES OF ORIGIN AND DEVELOP IT.
point. this people asking question why leave nigeria they shuld answer it themselves. in Lagos, only about 10% are original citizen of that state. They left their village to crowd their and leave their village undeveloped. No light, no water and other basic nids yet they come here 2 give pointless reason. Their is freedowm of movement so let it remain like that
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by BabyGirl5: 3:12pm On Apr 07, 2009
The beauty about being aboard is the security, basic standard of living, one can't ignore that fact, also the system works well in terms of infrastructures such as medical care, schools, housing and social issues.

But I really believe a high number of people who live aboard would go home if these basic things were in place at home.  That's why I believe there're a lot of Niger joints.  There're clusters over all London where you find Nigerians, becos they recreate the home like atmosphere and in some places, man, you really feel at home, that's what they miss, there're not many places or countries that you find lone Nigerians (It's not the norm)
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by Redman44(m): 3:41pm On Apr 07, 2009
@BabyGirl 1

You have spoken well. There is nowhere like home. We need to start thinking of how to fix Nigeria. I believe there is a set time for everything. This is the time for us to do something about our country's underdevelopment. Cheers.
Re: REASONS FOR NIGERIANS TO STAY IN NIGERIA AND ARE WE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE? by chukxy44(m): 4:13pm On Apr 07, 2009
kev-d:

The illusion that right now things can get better in Nigeria is a myth.I'm not being pessimistic , Im just being very realistic.We Nigerians at home have allowed our country to be hijacked by a cabal(PDP) and they that we are very docile and cannot think properly.The conditions for investment and private enterprise are just is almost non-existent.
1-First of all there is a strong monopoly on crucial infrastructres for business and certain businesses, that has beeen hijacked--thats a fact, no amount of patriotic talk can obscure this fact.if you are not connected to this people , no hope for you.
2- some of the very leaders that claim to speak for us (Govenors, Senators, Representatives and civil service) cannot approve any business ideas without collecting bribes that far offset thethe capital and profit combined.How can honest business thrive in such an evnvironment.Eg try and get a local contract and see how much bribes you will have to pay.Its not worth it.
3- complete collapse of infrastructure particularly Power and Fuel supply.Tthe average Nigerian at home does not seem to care.
4- the fetish and ignorant behavior of nigerians in General.(from tribalism,nepotism ,cryonism, hatred for innovation,discrimation against youth and novel ideas from youth by our elders,hatred for success, inabilty to use/pay bank loans etc).
These are some of the mammoth roblems that you face as an entrepreneur in this country.Yes there are some succeses, put that pales in comparison to the number of businesses that could have flourished if these factors were corrected.

Now I know am not alone. the truth is that there exist different classes of people in world, d same is applicable to nigeria, try and get a clean contract and lets see or better still start a business and explain how u got ur initial capital. If any of those hailing our present condition can be bold enough to explain there success story without parent affluence and background advantage then i would resign my present job and head back to IMO STATE

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help: Going To Ghana / Nigerians In Los Angeles / How Long Does It Take To Get An Admission Offer From The University Of Northumbria, Newcastle?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.