Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,091 members, 7,849,412 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:57 PM

Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London (5010 Views)

Buhari leaves for UN meeting in New York today (Photo) / Jonathan, Buhari In Private Meeting In Abuja / Nigeria To Replace South Africa In G20 As Economy Grows (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by kobomoje(m): 8:22am On Apr 05, 2009
@FBS: he would have gone there to discuss more on his 7-point agenda.
, and av a photo-shoot session with Obama and madam Obama grin

JOKER!!!
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by ikeyman00(m): 10:37am On Apr 05, 2009
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London
« #58 on: Yesterday at 05:54:00 PM » i-laugh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can now see that the cold in the places you stay have turned your thinking faculties into something that is worth nothing less that the toilet roll that i use to wipe my sweet butt - you reasonings and arguments are so devoid of wisdom but hatred for the man Yar Adua and for the country Nigeria - so, I am saying, what can you guys add to the country Nigeria - nothing, you are all so mhyred in a state of blind egotism that you think nothing less of the fact that Nigeria cant progress and that the only way Nigeria can progress is for us to listen to the rubbish talks you all post on NairaLand- how can that be? How on earth or what on earth do you want Yar Adua to say? To say that his country is one of the worst country in the whole world? when actually the index to measure the state of the nation outside the country is to look at the lifestyle of the so called Nigerians outside and the whole world will conclude how nasty the counry Nigeria is. If your thoughts and speeches on NairaLand is actually an indication of the wisdom you all posess- then Nigeria should be sen in a very great light by people outside Nigeria, but since you, the so called representative of Nigeria, seen and judged by people outside Nigeria, you are all seen as worthless non entities, so, how come you come to NairaLand to talk rubbish, rubbish and rubbish

u sound really stupid and i must say that makes u an idot, completely idot!

whats that bullcrap all about? people like u reason like yara'^^^
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by blackspade(m): 11:00am On Apr 05, 2009
Does Yar'adua know April Fools was 3 days ago?
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 05, 2009
@Topik.
Same Old Old Story.
grin cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by Nobody: 11:22am On Apr 05, 2009
@Topik.
Same Old Old Story.
grin cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by muhsin(m): 11:30am On Apr 05, 2009
Nairaland comprises bunch of funny fellows, some idiots also inclusive. No offence meant. grin
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by naijaking1: 2:02pm On Apr 05, 2009
Thisis an update from Today's Newspaper: Daily Independent.

[size=20t]We Won't Join G20 In 50 Years -Nnamani[/size]
*Exclusion From Session Humiliating, Says Ezeife

By Sunny Igboanugo, Group Politics Editor

Except there is a radical change in the quality of leadership in Nigeria, the country's desire to be part of the leading 20 most influential nations in the world would be a mere dream, even in the next 50 years.

Former Senate President, Ken Nnamani said on Friday that what is on the ground currently does not suggest Nigeria wants to belong to the prestigious group of powerful nations in good enough time.

Nnamani's views are in tandem with those of his compatriot, former Governor of Anambra State, Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife, who said that the clear message from Nigeria's exclusion from the on-going meeting of the group of 20 most influential countries (G20) signaled a huge humiliation and frustration.

Both spoke against the backdrop of lamentations on Thursday, by President Umaru Yar'Adua at the meeting of the National Executive Committee (NEC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), that Nigeria was not invited at the prestigious meeting in London, where three other African countries are in attendance.

"Today is a sad day for me and for every Nigerian. Leaders of the world are meeting over the world economy and we are not there," Yar'Adua lamented, regretting that the ease with which the entire world ignored Nigeria was a challenge the country must rise up to.

Nnamani and Ezeife, however put the ball back to the President, saying he must produce the type of leadership to steer the country from such a damning treatment.

They spoke in separate telephone interviews with Sunday Independent.

Said Nnamani: "I hope you watched everything. You saw the flag of each of the participating countries. Which of them do you think in all honesty you can displace? Which of them are we going to overtake? Is it South Korea? South Korea has five multinational companies that are competing on the international market.

"You talk of KIA, Samsung, LG, Daewoo, are all from South Korea. And this is a country that was far below Nigeria in terms of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in the 1960s. Korea does not produce a pint of diesel or petrol.

"Is it India, which is clearly the first in Information Communication Technology (ICT), in the whole world? Which of them really, if we are sincere to overtake, that will make us to be lamenting. It is not impossible that they sent us an invitation by e-mail and we did not have light to put our computers on and therefore did not see the invitation and after waiting for our reply, they sent it to another country."

The ex-chairman of the National Assembly, under whose leadership the attempt to hoist then President Olusegun Obasanjo was thwarted, told Sunday Independent that until the country addressed the issue of poor leadership, which had manifested in malfeasances like corruption, electoral fraud, lack of good infrastructure and general poor governance, its rating in the world instead of improving, would even worsen.

"Everything boils down to bad leadership. For instance we are fighting a war on corruption without casualties. All the people that are supposed to be behind bars today, are they not junketing to all parts of the world? So, it is not about being sad. We have to take the route countries like South Korea took. We must have focused leadership. Even with our oil, our economy is still not up to five per cent of that of Korea. So, it is not sadness that will solve the problem. The way things are now, we will not join that club in the next 50 years.

"What are we doing to join them? Is it by emphasising trivial things like re-branding? Which factory in the world runs without constant power and water? Productivity is a product of values. What are our values? What are we doing to get there than mere wishes? Wishes cannot take us there, neither would mere slogans" he added.

Ezeife thinks so too, saying the country must take steps to make it impossible for the world to ignore it in the future, adding that there were indices that determine such an enviable world status, which regrettably, were absent in Nigeria at the moment.

The former Anambra State Governor, disagreed with the suggestion that the damning treatment giving to the country, was a signal to the recent Federal Government's handling of the Electoral Reform white paper, saying it was more than that.

His words: "There are a number of reasons why we were not invited. May be our economy has not been doing well. They must have the scale by which they measure those who should attend and we did not measure up. I think in the future, we must do everything to increase our weight in that scale. And this we can always do by providing credible leadership. With good leadership I think we will get there, because we have enormous resources, half of these, most of these countries do not have."

The former governor, who said he was shocked with the white paper on the Uwais Panel report, said the country would be doomed if it failed to seize the leadership question that would make it able to compete on the global space.

He said it was now the duty of the National Assembly to help get the country out of the woods, adding that every patriotic Nigerian must equally be disturbed about what is happening within the polity now.
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by asha80(m): 2:05pm On Apr 05, 2009
"Is it India, which is clearly the first in Information Communication Technology (ICT), in the whole world? Which of them really, if we are sincere to overtake, that will make us to be lamenting. It is not impossible that they sent us an invitation by e-mail and we did not have light to put our computers on and therefore did not see the invitation and after waiting for our reply, they sent it to another country."

grin
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by vanitty: 2:28pm On Apr 05, 2009
Imagine the audacity our beloved country Nigeria not invited!! Talking of development alone we are far better than all the countries that sat there, after all we enjoy daily power supply, good transportation and many more

Hmmm jokes apart
Why on earth will he even think he deserves it? And he better stop lamenting and better put his house in order then MAYBE his dreams will come true
Even if they invited him he should be too ashamed to show his face. As someone correctly said what will he say there?
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by ilaugh1: 2:34pm On Apr 05, 2009
vanitty:

Imagine the audacity our beloved country Nigeria not invited!! Talking of development alone we are far better than all the countries that sat there, after all we enjoy daily power supply, good transportation and many more

Hmmm jokes apart
Why on earth will he even think he deserves it? And he better stop lamenting and better put his house in order then MAYBE his dreams will come true
Even if they invited him he should be too ashamed to show his face. As someone correctly said what will he say there?

He will at least tell all other countries to send the stupid Nigerians who spoil their country and also spoil Nigeria, he will have an oportunity to tell them to send them packing out of their country.
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by bluespice(f): 2:35pm On Apr 05, 2009
for a man that was hand picked from the abyss of oblivion to come rule a country of over 200 million people,
he's really doing a good job of making the country a giant laughing stock

seriously isnt it high time the military took over?
oh wait, they are all as daft and ignorant as this terminally sick-both-mentally-and-physically-ignoramus is
i weep at the state of Nigeria
the term Giant of Africa shouldnt be acorded to Nigeria anymore
not even Giant of West Africa, Ghana deserves the accolade

Now to the stupid mumbling fool we unfortunately have as president, does he think the warped system of selection is what runs in the G20?
or does he think that he belongs to the biggest? party in africa which we all know qualifies for the list of wanted men resposible for the decline of everything good in Nigeria make him qualified to sit side by side with the likes of Obama?

does he have any idea whatsoever what goes on during such meetings?

this is a huuge wake-up call to Nigerians,
get all those sonsabitches (read pdp leaders) in a room n blow the damn place up
its high time nigeria got shaken to her roots!
rebranding my ass
n while the grouping of the derailers of an entire economy is on, throw in the psychophants also
they are worse off
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by bluespice(f): 2:42pm On Apr 05, 2009
i_laugh:

He will at least tell all other countries to send the stupid Nigerians who spoil their country and also spoil Nigeria, he will have an oportunity to tell them to send them packing out of their country.
will u shut up already!
its not compulsory to pass comments
if u have to, dont insult the intelligence of other speakers by spewing drivel!

does what u just said make any sense to u?
what has happened to visits?
what has happened to telephone lines?
what has happened to good 'ol fashioned letters?
what has happened to Common wealth summits?
Un summits?
do u have any idea the ole aim of the G20 group?
do u have any idea what they discuss?

dont upset my stomach more by ur lack of exposure
do urself a favour and talk only when u have something meaningful to say!
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by Horus(m): 2:54pm On Apr 05, 2009
Non-invitation of Nigeria to G20 meeting indicates failure of Yar’Adua’s policies

By Adelani Adepegba
Published: Sunday, 5 Apr 2009

The Conference of Nigeria Political Parties has said that the non-invitation of Nigeria to the G20 summit in London was an indication of failure of the Federal Government policies and programmes. It noted that President Umaru Yar‘Adua‘s lamentation over the issue was an acceptance that his government had failed to make impact and be reckoned with in the world. The Secretary General of CNPP, Chief Willy Ezugwu, who said this in a statement in Enugu on Saturday added that the president‘s sadness should include the fact that Nigeria had further lost the ”limited image” it had in the two years that he has been in office. He said, ”Two years of seven point agenda and Vision 2020-20 and the economic situation of Nigeria did not improve for the G-20 to even invite the country as an observer, not to talk of as a member. It is now as if there is no government in the country anymore.” He alleged that the president‘s handling of various probes and electoral reform reports might have contributed to the way the group of industrialized countries treated Nigeria. He explained that the world would have been treating Nigeria differently if they had seen genuine commitment on the part of government to fight corruption and entrench genuine electoral reform. Ezugwu added, ”Look at the Electoral Reform Report from the Uwais committee, the president watered it down by setting up his own committees to systematically kill it. So how does he expect the democracies of the world to take Nigeria seriously? “Everyone was expecting that it was an opportunity for Nigeria to redeem her image that has been battered so badly by corruption, but instead, the executive teamed up with the House of Representatives to make rubbish out of it. With this, did the President really expect that countries that are promoting transparency will invite a country that is shielding corruption to come and seat with them?”. He counselled the President to heed the calls and advice from Nigerians to sack the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Maurice Iwu, who he said was emboldened by the president‘s attitude towards the electoral reform report.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2009040423275482
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by asha80(m): 2:54pm On Apr 05, 2009
You guys should stop wasting ur time with i_laugh  grin.
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by bluespice(f): 2:56pm On Apr 05, 2009
the post by horus is foundamentally all we have been saying
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by OutlukBabe(f): 3:22pm On Apr 05, 2009
ikeyman00:

Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London
« #58 on: Yesterday at 05:54:00 PM » i-laugh

u sound really stupid and i must say that makes u an idot, completely idot!

whats that bullcrap all about? people like u reason like yara'^^^

When writing an important technical paper or proposal, most of the time an Executive Summary is included in the beginning; which summarise all the importants points that need to be noted. Our leaders/rulers are the Executive Summary of Nigerians. I'm a proud Nigerian and proud to be a Nigerian, but being in the UK sometimes makes me cring if I see some Nigerians. There are times when I deny being a Nigerian, just not to embarrass myself. They are just as what i-laugh said. If Yar'adua and Obasanjo are crooks, of course they reflects some of our character. That is the image we represent. We are not the only country under dubious regimes, but their citizens are not associated with bad names like Nigerians. Despite all the crimes of Mugabe, Zimbabweans in UK are recognized as good people suffering the injustice of a a bad leader. So are other Africans. But Nigerians, I dont know what is wrong with us.

We are not going to be in G20 untill we change and change our leaders. But with the way ppl think and talk here,
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by ikeyman00(m): 8:54pm On Apr 05, 2009
i don tire here, for some yeye post here lipsrsealed

just because u come across nigerian misbehaving overseas shouldnt be an excuse to exernorate your dumb aboki president opps!!

but as f ^^^^ked up as situation is some people like fashola still get things done!

Imagine obama sayin emmm that hahhha some poeple are fustrating his power generation actualisation, ohhhhhhhhhhhh god

its obvious yara dua mentality aint leadin anyway, hes just like amodu

hahhhahha

and for those of yall that keep sayin me ashamed of my nigerian status cuz u saw some $hit oversea, me said u all are stupid! and also part of the national wahala

just put me in there as a president, u see what i can come up with!!

never underestimate true naija
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 05, 2009
What is this one saying?

The ambition to be heard sha
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by ikeyman00(m): 9:31pm On Apr 05, 2009
hmmm stalker haha

ohhh k attention seeker right?

ohhhh oduduwa  lipsrsealed
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by oderemo(m): 9:40pm On Apr 05, 2009
Nigerians to sack the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Maurice Iwu, who he said was emboldened by the president‘s attitude towards the electoral reform report.

how can you sack the person whose favour you might need later i.e election rigging.
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by idupaul: 9:52pm On Apr 05, 2009
humming a jay z track my president is wack, my 504 is blue and i will be god damned if his pant aint green grin
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by Nobody: 10:24pm On Apr 05, 2009
Perhaps the invitation was sent by airmail and NIPOST is just about to deliver it to Aso Rock. Wait small.
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by MrCrackles(m): 10:27pm On Apr 05, 2009
Is Yar A Adua going nuts?
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by idupaul: 10:29pm On Apr 05, 2009
Perhaps the invitation was sent by airmail and NIPOST is just about to deliver it to Aso Rock. Wait small.

lol at this one grin grin grin grin
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by oderemo(m): 10:33pm On Apr 05, 2009
Is Yar A Adua going nuts?

going nuts ke , the man de kampe, he cant wait to sell them the 7 point agenda and vision 2010. grin grin
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by bluespice(f): 10:43pm On Apr 05, 2009
brash asking if he's going nuts is stating he once had it to loose it
the fact is he never had it
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by idupaul: 11:26pm On Apr 05, 2009
bluespice:

Wicked girl, na ur presido u finish so / grin
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by sbo(m): 9:36am On Apr 06, 2009
Going back to President Yar’Adua’s comments, I think the influence of Nigeria as a nation in the global community is often exaggerated.  Nigerian leaders can sometimes be described to be suffering from illusion in this context. With the current state of the economy and meagre infrastructure, it is preposterous for anyone to think we should be in the G20 - albeit our population and vast natural resources.

Yes, we have a population of 140 million. Yes, the G20 makes up two-thirds of world’s population. But the question is, of what importance is a country of 150 million, but with 50% unemployment? In fact we don’t even have accurate data on the number of unemployed in the country. Our leaders can only quote figures from UN, World Bank, IMF etc.

Do we have the potentials? Yes we do. We’ve always had the potentials since the word ‘go’ but have failed to deliver. We have failed to deliver in all aspects of our economy and society. As they say, Nigeria is the only place where nothing works! For how long would we continue to live on potentials?

On the BBC programme Hardtalk, Ex- President Obasanjo was asked ‘why more than 70% live in abject poverty, despite been a rich nation with abundant resources?’ The former President was quick to say Nigeria is only ‘potentially rich’ but not ‘rich’.  He went on to say, “considering its population it has made the best use of its opportunities”. So in summary, President Obasanjo admitted that the nation’s population has been its Achilles heel, when compared to other oil-rich nations such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait etc. For me this is an admission from a former President that Nigeria is ‘failed state’. When countries like India and China are taking advantage of their human capacity to position themselves in the current global economy, we are still in the wilderness waiting for the Moses that will take us into the promise land. 

How can we describe a nation producing over 2.5 million barrels of oil per day but can only generate 600MW? How can we describe a nation of rent-collectors, that his 95% dependent on proceeds of oil?  How can describe a nation of 150 million without a mass public transport system? How can you describe a nation with four refineries but imports 85% of its petroleum products? How can we describe a nation where the educational institutions are closed for almost six months in year due to strike actions? How can you describe a nation, where politicians and civil servants loot the treasury with impunity? How can you describe a nation where the President does not have any faith in its health system, and has to travel overseas for medical check-up? How can you describe a nation where 70% have no access to pipe-borne water?

It is only in Nigeria that people have three generators in one house. It is only in Nigeria that you can loot the treasury and obtain court injunction to stop been probed. It is only in Nigeria where one individual dictates the retail price of diesel. It is only Nigeria where an Attorney-General can write a letter of support for corrupt politician in the name of ‘rule of law’. It is only in Nigeria, that you can award $8.5bn rail modernisation project without regard for ‘competitive tendering’. It is only in Nigeria that it takes 2 years to seek redress at the courts following a fraudulent electoral process. It is only in Nigeria that thieves and rogues are given national honours.

I’m sure the G20 is not interested in failed economies or failed governments. The nation has been experiencing continuous infrastructure decay post-independence. We are still living on infrastructure built by our former colonial masters. I sometimes wonder, what our nation would have been if we didn’t have colonial rule.

The curriculum of our educational system is archaic and at odds with modern trends. University and secondary school libraries are full of outdated books, most of which have passed their ‘sell by’ date. None of the nation’s universities is ranked among top 1000 in the world. We have failed to develop our human capacity in any shape or form. The vision of our leaders is bereft of any rational thinking and defies all logic.

Perhaps, if the G20 was about the 20 most corrupt or rogue nations, probably Nigeria would have been the host and voted as the life President.

I want to hope that the Nigeria’s exclusion from the G20 will sound as a warning signal to President Yar’Adua. He needs to start acting decisively on key challenges facing the nation. The public mood is not very encouraging. It is almost two and half years since his assumption of office. Nigerians are sick and tired of all the rhetoric about seven-point agenda, rule of law etc. The nation needs an ‘action leader’ and not a ‘servant-leader’.

www...com
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by MrCrackles(m): 11:41am On Apr 06, 2009
bluespice:

How u take know? shocked shocked shocked grin
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by JustGood(m): 12:02pm On Apr 06, 2009
Isn't it obvious?

We are all culpable!

From the inert president to his theiving ministers to the looting legislators to the inept and stealing governors, local government chairmen, councilors. . .

down to the ordinary Nigerian citizens who think nothing of accepting bribes to do their jobs or offering bribes to have illegitimacy legitimized. . .

down to the citizens who'd rather bribe the police than drive on the right side of the road, to the policeman who will turn a blind eye to any evil as long as he has been well compensated (egunje), to the man who willfully damages public property. . .

further down to the many Nigerians in America and Europe whose stock in trade is fraud and scams. . . AND some others who dont necessarily engage in such practices but encourage such tacitly and are never ready to condemn such practices. . .

we are all responsible for Nigeria's current state

long list bro. We are need to examine ourselves.
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by JustGood(m): 12:03pm On Apr 06, 2009
davidylan:

very funny
Re: Yar’adua Laments Exclusion Of Nigeria From G20 Meeting In London by qkman: 2:36pm On Apr 06, 2009
Let the man make a fool of himself,he has POVERTY in his country scourging like wild fire to treat.
No health plan for his people.'
No power supply.
No portable water supply.
No accountability.
No free and fair election.
HE EVEN HAS HIS SKIN TO TREAT,He his talking about G20 meeting.ohhhh! I see, so he can sweep some more money.Ole,
What has the man got to say?
I think he actually wants to meet Obama,
Make una no mind the man,even if dem invite Nigeria,him go tell Soludo make hin go as na hin sabi money mata.

Its beta dey no call am, make dem no go hol'am say hin dey transmit day hin ifo abi na lapalapa wey full hin bodi.
C presi wey wan go G20 meeting wey dey take hin babariga clean hin nose for NTA,dis wan na anoda toori.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Can’t Pay Minimum Wage Until 2012 –fg / {photos} Second Niger Bridge Completed . GEJ The Hero / Buhari's Bank Sponsored His Election And It Wasn't Corruption.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.