Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,244 members, 7,818,833 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List (3271 Views)

Rochas Okorocha Makes 305 Youth Millionaires / Buhari With Robert Mugabe At Johannesburg Summit (Photo) / Buhari With All Heads-Of-State In Johannesburg, South Africa (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 03, 2015
South Africa has the highest number of dollar millionaires in Africa, according to a new report. According to a report by AfrAsia Bank and New World
Wealth, Johannesburg alone, known as the "city of gold", is home to 23,400 millionaires. South Africa has 30% of the total. Egypt's Cairo comes second with 10,200, with Nigeria's Lagos third with 9,100. The study defines millionaires as people with net assets worth at least $1m (£650,000). It estimates there are close to 163,000 millionaires living in Africa, with a combined wealth of $670bn (£440bn).
The number of millionaires is rising fastest in Ghana's
capital, Accra, the report said, even though at the moment, with 2,300, it does not make the top five.
After Lagos, comes Cape Town with 8,900 and Nairobi
with 6,200.

Analysis: Milton Nkosi, BBC News, Johannesburg
It may come as a surprise to many that Johannesburg has more than twice the number of dollar millionaires as
Lagos, the economic hub of Nigeria, Africa's most
populous nation and its number one economy.
However, Nigeria became Africa's largest economy only
recently, whereas South Africa has been at the helm for as long as I can remember and remains the most
industrialised economy in Africa.
Being a citizen of the "city of gold", as Johannesburg is
known in local languages, I can see the money every day. South Africa's current economic problems has not
prevented the emergence of new black industrialists.
Economist Owen Nkomo and founder of Inkunzi
Investments, told me that old money from the Johannesburg Stock Exchange companies, which is
largely still in white hands 21 years after the end of
apartheid, has been wisely re-invested.

But he also points to the government's Black Economic
Empowerment scheme, aimed at redressing the
imbalances of white minority rule, as a key driver of the
growing number of black millionaires.
I have seen for myself in places like Soweto when the new black bourgeoisie flaunt their wealth on Vilakazi Street, where Nelson Mandela once lived, over the weekend. But I have also seen the vast properties in Cape Town owned by white families. All of this must not delude us, so we forget the plight of the poor majority.
South Africa with all its wealth still faces huge problems of unemployment, inequality and poverty. And that should give all of us sleepless nights as we celebrate Africa's wealth growth.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34138610
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by ayokunlei(m): 4:42pm On Sep 03, 2015
I
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 03, 2015
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 03, 2015
foot print
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by kamair237(m): 4:50pm On Sep 03, 2015
Is Dis what we will eat
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by JewelRegi(f): 4:54pm On Sep 03, 2015
Ok[color=#990000][/color]. cool[img][/img] shocked kiss
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by seedgreen(m): 5:06pm On Sep 03, 2015
This is a false statistics. How can lagos have less than 10,000 milli. This is patent untrue
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 03, 2015
seedgreen:
This is a false statistics. How can lagos have less than 10,000 milli. This is patent untrue
dollar millionaires
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by mars123(m): 6:02pm On Sep 03, 2015
I don't believe this...why was Abuja not rated? south africans still looking for ways to top Nigerians on the money list, like their existence depended on it.
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by NinaNigeria(f): 6:08pm On Sep 03, 2015
I do agree with dis. Lagos has more naira millionaires, and South Africa has more dollar millionaires. I have noticed though that south africans are stingy nomatter their financial status, and nigerians are givers and know how to enjoy their money nomatter their financial status

3 Likes

Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 03, 2015
mars123:
I don't believe this...why was Abuja not rated? south africans still looking for ways to top Nigerians on the money list, like their existence depended on it.
The report was by AfrAsia Bank and New World Wealth. Not South Africans
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by phayvoursky(m): 6:25pm On Sep 03, 2015
WHAT MEASURES WERE EMPLOYED IN COMING UP WITH THAT STATISTICS.

TO MY BEST OF KNOWLEDGE; A MILLIONAIRE IS SOMEONE WHOSE ASSETS AND LIABILITIES EXCEEDS OR EQUALS 1,000,000.

FIRSTLY; TAKING FROM THAT EXPLANATION. ONE MILLION DOLLARS IN NAIRA IS ROUGHLY TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY MILLION NAIRA (I STAND TO BE CORRECTED) WHICH MANY NIGERIANS LIVING IN AND OUT OF LOFTY PLACES POSSESS BOTH IN ASSETS AND LIABILITIES

SECONDLY; CONSIDERING THE LARGE POPULATION, LARGE MARKET, GOVERNMENT AGENCIES AND NOT FORGETTING THE HIGH LEVEL OF CORRUPTION; MAKING SUCH MONEY ISN'T A TASK FOR THOSE WHO KNOW HOW TO CUT THESE CORNERS.

IN MY OPINION NIGERIA POSSESSES A HIGH LEVEL OF DOLLAR MILLIONAIRES THAN ANY OTHER AFRICAN NATION AND COME TO THINK OF IT; NIGERIA IS HOME TO THE WEALTHIEST AFRICAN AND MANY OTHER WEALTHY MEN. SO THE WEALTH PYRAMID IS EXPECTED TO FALL EVENLY TO THE LOW DOLLAR INCOME EARNERS,

MY ONE MILLION DOLLAR SENTIMENT.
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 03, 2015
phayvoursky:

TO MY BEST OF KNOWLEDGE; A MILLIONAIRE IS SOMEONE WHOSE ASSETS AND LIABILITIES EXCEEDS OR EQUALS 1,000,000.

FIRSTLY; TAKING FROM THAT EXPLANATION. ONE MILLION DOLLARS IN NAIRA IS ROUGHLY TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY MILLION NAIRA (I STAND TO BE CORRECTED) WHICH MANY NIGERIANS LIVING IN AND OUT OF LOFTY PLACES POSSESS BOTH IN ASSETS AND LIABILITIES

SECONDLY; CONSIDERING THE LARGE POPULATION, LARGE MARKET, GOVERNMENT AGENCIES AND NOT FORGETTING THE HIGH LEVEL OF CORRUPTION; MAKING SUCH MONEY ISN'T A TASK FOR THOSE WHO KNOW HOW TO CUT THESE CORNERS.

IN MY OPINION NIGERIA POSSESSES A HIGH LEVEL OF DOLLAR MILLIONAIRES THAN ANY OTHER AFRICAN NATION AND COME TO THINK OF IT; NIGERIA IS HOME TO THE WEALTHIEST AFRICAN AND MANY OTHER WEALTHY MEN. SO THE WEALTH PYRAMID IS EXPECTED TO FALL EVENLY TO THE LOW DOLLAR INCOME EARNERS,

It's based on cities. 9, 100 in Lagos that are dollar millionaires. Not the entire country
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by forgiveness: 7:39pm On Sep 03, 2015
Define asset?
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 04, 2015
SOUTH AFRICA!!
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by malton: 5:20pm On Oct 05, 2015
The depreciation of the naira doesn't do justice to that list though. Looking closely, one notices that South Africa dominates the ratings. This is in part due to the SA having more economically viable cities than Nigeria. There's still a lot more work to be done, my country people. Let's set aside our differences and unite to build a nation posterity will be grateful to us for.
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by 14(m): 3:42am On Oct 06, 2015
malton:
The depreciation of the naira doesn't do justice to that list though. Looking closely, one notices that South Africa dominates the ratings. This is in part due to the SA having more economically viable cities than Nigeria. There's still a lot more work to be done, my country people. Let's set aside our differences and unite to build a nation posterity will be grateful to us for.

maybe, maybe not

SA has 4 cities in the top 10 even in 2025. just check how many millionares will be in jhb in 2025. It just goes to show where the real money is in Africa, i am not refering to fake money or money on stats.
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by 14(m): 3:44am On Oct 06, 2015
benvolavolarag:
@14
Ride with me I will take you places chyna!!!!!!

Some fool hijacked my thread. I came up with this thread, but look who took it over, yerrrrr, corruption at highest order

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by SkyBlue1: 4:37am On Oct 06, 2015
phayvoursky:

Have you travelled to these other places for comparison? Where is your own data? Very typical 'my village is better than yours mentality', with all these pseudo anecdotal "statistics" based on feelings we always like to pass off as factual . . . 'My friend said, my friend's friend told me', can you count 1000 dollar millionaires you know in Lagos?
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by Ilekeh(f): 5:02pm On Oct 06, 2015
What?

Nigeria with Jews of Africa didn't make it? With all the business (traders), we still carry last.

Still na Yorubas and abokis help that list
Re: South Africa's Johannesburg Tops Africa Millionaires List by Ilekeh(f): 5:03pm On Oct 06, 2015
benvolavolarag:
THE YOUNGEST DOLLAR MILLIONAIRE IN AFRICA. HES 23 YEARS OLD AND A DURBANITE. grin grin grin

How young?

Make I halla

(1) (2) (Reply)

Man Gets Caught Cheating With Another's Wife; Bites Off The Husband's Lips / Evidence Of Illuminati In Saraki And Buhari / See What Bride & Groom Did At Their Wedding That Has Gone Viral(pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.