Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,916 members, 7,956,449 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:10 PM

Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, (8475 Views)

...it's Time For Arms To Be Legalised In Nigeria , Buhari! / Relax Abortion Laws For B’haram Victims, UN Urges FG / Okorocha, Catholic Doctors At War Over Abortion Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by wisebaba(m): 2:10pm On Apr 04, 2009
Should abortion be legalised and why? what is your own view
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by bawomolo(m): 3:47pm On Apr 04, 2009
It should be legalized.

A woman should have control over her own body.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Horus(m): 3:48pm On Apr 04, 2009
No, abortion should not be legalised. Abortion is murder. You should know that at the time you get the abortion the child is alive, that  classify it as murder.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by bawomolo(m): 3:53pm On Apr 04, 2009
Horus:

No, abortion should not be legalised. Abortion is murder. You should know that at the time you get the abortion the child is alive, that  classify it as murder.

how is the child alive at the point of the abortion??

do you agree with the death penalty?

abortion is fine with me, i rather a woman get an abortion than give birth to a kid she can't take care of.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 04, 2009
This abortion issue again. *sigh*

What makes murder wrong? You would agree with me that murder disrupts an individual's future prospects, that's why people feel bad when it's commited. That can be said for the zygote (or whatever stage of development the unborn child is) when aborted. Abortion disrupts the unborn child's future prospects.

However we make justification for murder in instances of self defense or war, but that doesn't take away the fact murder is being committed in both scenarios. So abortion is murder, period.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by DeReloaded: 4:18pm On Apr 04, 2009
It's not legal?
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by bawomolo(m): 4:24pm On Apr 04, 2009
stillwater:

What makes murder wrong? You would agree with me that murder disrupts an individual's future prospects, that's why people feel bad when it's commited. That can be said for the zygote (or whatever stage of development the unborn child is) when aborted. Abortion disrupts the unborn child's future prospects.

However we make justification for murder in instances of self defense or war, but that doesn't take away the fact murder is being committed in both scenarios. So abortion is murder, period.

But murder would be considered ethical in this case. There is a reason i asked for horus's opinion on the death penalty.

The prospects of the mother takes precedent over the prospects of the child.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by vanitty: 4:43pm On Apr 04, 2009
Obviously in an ideal world the answer would be no but as much as I don’t agree with abortion. It is the woman’s choice to have an abortion, no one else
If abortion is not made legal, some will do it the illegal way which is dangerous and might not only kill the fetus but also the woman.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Nobody: 10:04pm On Apr 04, 2009
I personally don't support abortion but Nigeria is a very good example to show you that abortion should be legalized.
Abortion is illegal in Nigeria, yet people can abort pregnancies faster than they can get a Nigerian Passport.
There are thousands of quacks who keep killing our sisters and daughters due to their illegal abortion procedures.

If it is legalized, these girls can go to a Doctor (without the need for secrecy) and get professional services.
I think the right to abort is up to the woman. Afterall she's the one who gets to carry the baby for 24,105,600 seconds.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Sauron1: 10:11pm On Apr 04, 2009
stillwater:

And in a situation where the unborn baby poses a threat to the mother. . . . . .Would that amount to MURDER??
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Ndipe(m): 11:40pm On Apr 04, 2009
bawomolo:

do you agree with the death penalty?

abortion is fine with me, i rather a woman get an abortion than give birth to a kid she can't take care of.

Living things move, and the child is already moving in the mother's womb.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by debosky(m): 11:42pm On Apr 04, 2009
If movement is now the definition for life, is killing sperm using spermicide not murder? undecided

I am not being facetious, I just don't think motion is a valid definition for life.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by bawomolo(m): 12:21am On Apr 05, 2009
Ndipe:

Living things move, and the child is already moving in the mother's womb.

hmm interesting, so are people who are paralyzed from head to toe considered dead?
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by deb(m): 12:31am On Apr 05, 2009
should murder be legalized? And why? your view
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by posakosa(m): 12:38am On Apr 05, 2009
Women have a right to their own body.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 05, 2009
posakosa:

Women have a right to their own body.
Some women don't really know what they want.

@post
No
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by IGWEUSA(m): 12:53am On Apr 05, 2009
NO ! Its a complete murder of the unborn.[i][/i] angry
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by TayoD1(m): 12:56am On Apr 05, 2009
@bawomolo,

A woman should have control over her own body.
But the foetus should have no say over his/hers!
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by posakosa(m): 1:03am On Apr 05, 2009
Reasons why women get abortions vary.

Rape, medical reasons and etc,
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Nobody: 1:08am On Apr 05, 2009
bawomolo:

But murder would be considered ethical in this case. There is a reason i asked for horus's opinion on the death penalty.

What's ethical and what's not is another endless issue on it's own. We find justification for abortion in instances of rape, or a mother's life being in danger. It should not be for selfish reasons like it's my own body let me do as I please. I don't find anything ethical with such reasoning.

The prospects of the mother takes precedent over the prospects of the child.

You men would land in trouble with this kind of statement someday. Are you saying the man should have no say in a matter he had a hand in?
In a situation where a married man wishes for a child but the wife chooses to abort just because she doesn't want it, what argument would he come up with if it the choice of having the child or not lies on only the mother becomes law? (That is if it's not already law in the US?

~Sauron~:

And in a situation where the unborn baby poses a threat to the mother. . . . . .Would that amount to MURDER??

The mother in this case would only act out of self defense. Something will be killed in the process, wouldn't it? So murder has been committed!
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Kobojunkie: 1:49am On Apr 05, 2009
Excellent @Stillwater! Now,I will wait to read the rebuttle!! grin
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Hauwa1: 2:38am On Apr 05, 2009
No!
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by DeReloaded: 3:29am On Apr 05, 2009
stillwater:

The mother in this case would only act out of self defense. Something will be killed in the process, wouldn't it? So murder has been committed!

so if the babies life is considered over the mother, the baby commited murder? grin
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Kobojunkie: 3:39am On Apr 05, 2009
self defense = the baby committed murder??
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Nobody: 3:42am On Apr 05, 2009
No but should be allowed in cases where the mother's life is in mortal danger.
At this rate, murder of retarded children would soon be legalised.

Libruls are at work again.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:52am On Apr 05, 2009
davidylan:

At this rate, murder of retarded children would soon be legalised.

Should be.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Nobody: 3:54am On Apr 05, 2009
who dash you your old name back? Good to see you've been released at last.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by dayokanu(m): 4:55am On Apr 05, 2009
Abortion should be legalised.

Why should a woman be forced to carry a baby she does not want or probably would not take care of and love.

The decision to carry a pregnancy to term should rest on the person doing it not on someone else. Who does not know the discomfort the carrier is going through.

A woman raped by robbers should be made to carry the pregancy and give birth to a child to remind her of her ordeal right?

ABORT IT
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Kobojunkie: 5:07am On Apr 05, 2009
so far, no quality rebuttles! @Stillwater still leading on this one!
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 05, 2009
@Poster et Topic.
Why do u think as a daft being, huh! If killin of unborn infant were to be legalised b4 u were born, didnt u think of that?
So why shld it be legalized now.
**regrets popin into thread**
frowns n' walks out.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by spikedcylinder: 12:29pm On Apr 05, 2009
I don't buy into the whole "its my body and therefore I have to right do do with it as I please" ideology. If you did, why did you have unprotected sex? You knew the consequences and you should be made to bear it. . . . undecided
However, I think abortions should be legalized. The pros far outweigh the cons.
Re: Should Abortion Be Legalised? And Why? Your View, by MaiSuya(m): 2:14pm On Apr 05, 2009
what exactly is abortion?

At what stage can the foetus be described as person, at birth or at conception?

what exactly is legalization of abortion expected to achieve?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Barred From Entering Suleja / Controversy Over Omojuwa's Comment On Gani / PDP Members Rejoice As Buhari Emerges APC's Presidential Candidate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.