Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,897 members, 7,844,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

U.S. Warns of Potential Attack on Nigeria Consulate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.S. Warns of Potential Attack on Nigeria Consulate (1556 Views)

U.S. Embassy Warns Of Possible 'Terrorism' Attacks In Nigeria - Reuters / DSS WARNS of Planned Boko Haram attacks in Abuja / Obasanjo Warns Of Coup, Isn't That Treasonable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: U.S. Warns of Potential Attack on Nigeria Consulate by strangleyo: 7:50pm On Apr 06, 2009
The U.S. maintains a large consular services office in Lagos, a chaotic, crime-ridden city of 14 million people on Nigeria's southern coast.

Next time I read an article partaining to Los Angeles, I'll remember to look out for "Gang ridden extension of Mexico's northern border". Western media loves to paint Africa with a dirty brush.

Now, as for the attacks on American consulate, it would be unfortunate. I don't think Islamist have a deep root in Nigeria, even in the north. But neither did they in Kenya, so caution must be excersided.

If something were to occur, it would present the Nigeria gov't with the opportunity to purge incompetent generals who should have made sure these things don't occur.
Re: U.S. Warns of Potential Attack on Nigeria Consulate by bawomolo(m): 8:07pm On Apr 06, 2009
Next time I read an article partaining to Los Angeles, I'll remember to look out for "Gang ridden extension of Mexico's northern border". Western media loves to paint Africa with a dirty brush.

The compton, Vallejo areas of California are pretty infamous for crime. I don't think the American media hides their dirty laundry. If Nigerians are worried about their image, then do something about it rather than whining about the western media.
Re: U.S. Warns of Potential Attack on Nigeria Consulate by RichyBlacK(m): 8:49pm On Apr 06, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Where is Maddoff as we speak? He is in Jail, serving the rest of his life. Where is IBB? He is roaming free and proud, and might even come back as your next president. Only recently news on the Halliburton bribery scandal informed us that the men involved were being investigated and tried in the USA. Those on our own end who were involved do not have the same pressure on them. They are walking large and are more likely to have more chieftaincy titles bestowed upon then than they are to serve any jail term or pay any fines for their involvement in the bribery scandal.  Again, it is not about how much money or what problems exists and where. It is about how the problem is being dealt with, if it is being dealt with at all. And do not bother come back with the Nigeria is trying line. I only mentioned that I hoped some day, some of the allegations against the CBN governor would be investigated by the EFCC and some goon went on insulting himself claiming he had himself, not me, all figured out as some naïve slowpoke for even thinking that could ever happen. 

Maddoff is in Jail. His name is ruined and the courts are working on going after his family and everyone else that had potentially gained from this.

The case would be completely different if Nigeria were crime ridden but countered that with a super crime fighting force. That happens to be the situation in most places around the world. When people talk of security, they do not speak of non-existence of crime but of their trust in law enforcement agency in the area they consider secure. 

True talk.

(1) (2) (Reply)

MEND Extends Ceasefire By 30 Days / Everybody, Even Ribadu, Goes Igbotic. / How Presidential Poll Was Rigged -acn : Warns Against Repeat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.