Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,565 members, 7,820,038 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young (25332 Views)

Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian / Outrageous Books You Won’t Believe Actually Exist / Books You Must Read! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by jarrot(m): 7:30am On Mar 02, 2017
Still haven't seen my favourite "Animal Farm"
Good old days cry
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Nobody: 7:35am On Mar 02, 2017
the Dvenrures of Souza cracked me up then. Almost pissed myself grin
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by RetroBoy: 7:35am On Mar 02, 2017
Sammy107d:
Eze goes to school
Alawiye
Gbonka ati Timi
Igi Woroko
Eko ede Yoruba 1- infinty
Taiwo and Kehinde
Iyawo Alarede
So many more, (the most hilarious is one where the king decreed that everyone in the village must bow and worship him every time he sneezes and a bell is rung, and this other english book with the house maid character named 'Polycarp')

i wonder what they read now,
Our Husband Has Gone Mad Again
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by muller101(m): 7:36am On Mar 02, 2017
All of them. No be now wey I de hustle for money o
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Chiebunigom: 7:37am On Mar 02, 2017
So many memories.....
I read almost all the aforementioned in other people's posts above.
May I add my Igbo novels collection:
~Isi Akwu Dara n'ala.
~Ukwa Ruo Oge ya o daa
~Ojaadili

Those were my favourite Igbo novels back then, I was always the class Igbo novel reader, lol... wonder if there are current Igbo novels for our new generation. Asusu Igbo na-ana ana, Ndi Igbo ibem.

2 Likes

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by TinaAnita(f): 7:39am On Mar 02, 2017
Smiles. What a sweet way of going down memory lane.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Blaqsuqar: 7:39am On Mar 02, 2017
Zarathena:
Mine are:
Without a silver spoon
The village boy
My father's car
Mezie the ogbanje boy
A lucky chance
Ihuoma comes to stay...infact all books in the winner's series.
Books by Adeze Atuegwu- Tears, Fate, My husband's mistress, all about Lizzy, all about Bina, Chalet 9 and so on.
Also read: Chike and the river
Eze goes to school
Eze goes to college
Echoes of hard times
Born to win
Peppersoup
No food for Eme
More tales from shakespears
Lamb's tales from shakespear
Adventures of Nnanna
Wedlock of the gods
Jeez....I could go on and on. Wasn't really a movie freak when I was younger, plus I'm older than my sibling with almost 13 years. So, my parents had 2 get m loadz of novels 2 keep me company. #goodolddays
Seriously nigerians got talent...
But shey na 2009 post dey make fp for 2017 so

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by yungengr(m): 7:40am On Mar 02, 2017
I can't remember cuz I read many books back den am a book worm
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by ademijuwonlo(f): 7:44am On Mar 02, 2017
tpiah:

Is it The Bottled Leopard?

I've been meaning to reread that book.
I ll like to reread the book as well.
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Armstrong34(m): 7:45am On Mar 02, 2017
The fruit of honesty
Chike and the river
Without a silver spoon
Sugar girl
Animal Farm
Oliver twist
The punishment
Things fall Apart
Ibe the Cannon boy.......
Ade and his little sisters....
Childhood dreams

second chance......

the boomerang......

Many more if I can remember
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Ajinoride(m): 7:48am On Mar 02, 2017
spicy007:
so many , hmm lets see: Enid Blyton collection James Hadley Chase Eze Goes to Schol Death in the Family the Concubine Sangba fo Ogboju Ode ni 'gbo Irumole Sugar girl, i think , the protagonist is called Koku Baboni The entire Eze series Novels by PaceSetter etc
also sherlock holmes, hadly chase,. the motion pictures have messed the current era
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by AirstarKane(f): 7:48am On Mar 02, 2017
oolumide:
Which are the books you read when you were young that gives you nostalgic feelings
for me these are the one that I remember.

1. My fathers Daughter
2. Adventure of Sauza
3. Taiwo and Kehinde
4. Alawiye 1-6
5. Olowolayemo
6. Sugar girl

Chip in yours
Koku baboni
The fruit of honesty is God's blessing
Sweet mother...
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Chiebunigom: 7:49am On Mar 02, 2017
OnyinyeGod:
The Maids are not to blame by Menakiti Onyekwelu ( I love this book so much, it inspires me)
it also inspires me, read it more than I could count. Here are excerpts from it;
"aunty please; you are a dog"
"aunty please; ask your mother, but aunty you are my mother".
"I received the rudest shock of my life when I got home this afternoon".
"sophisticated or no sophisticated, innuendos or no innuendos.....

.....lovely memories(smiling)..
Used to read my novels in the toilet to avoid disturbances.. lol
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Lindaangel(f): 7:51am On Mar 02, 2017
The joys of motherhood,I loved that book like die
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Nobody: 7:52am On Mar 02, 2017
Just thinking aloud...

This thread was created in 2009. The earliest posts wete from old time nairalanders. What has becpme of them now?. A lot of them were last seen was in 2011 about 6 years ago

Time really goes by and we all grow old and for those mischievous romancelanders.... a lot of people were here before you and eill be here after ... if NL remains, so be nice and posts nice

3 Likes

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by matadonis(m): 7:53am On Mar 02, 2017
Akpan and the smugglers
The joy of Motherhood
Blackboy
Eze goes to school
Tales out of school
The gods are not blame
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Bowwow11(m): 7:58am On Mar 02, 2017
the GODS Ar nt to blame by olarotimi naira power by Buchi Emechita sizwe Bansi is dead
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by tgirlblaze(f): 7:58am On Mar 02, 2017
Sweet mother,
Amina the milkmaid,
Sugar girl,
Chike and the river
Drummer boy
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by abeeceebee: 8:02am On Mar 02, 2017
Sammy107d:
Eze goes to school
Alawiye
Gbonka ati Timi
Igi Woroko
Eko ede Yoruba 1- infinty
Taiwo and Kehinde
Iyawo Alarede
So many more, (the most hilarious is one where the king decreed that everyone in the village must bow and worship him every time he sneezes and a bell is rung, and this other english book with the house maid character named 'Polycarp')

i wonder what they read now,
they don't read book now. They only read nairaland, facebook, whatsapp and other social media. Oh, how I use to read every printed materials that come way in those days. Twuale for our generation.

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Lastborn12(m): 8:09am On Mar 02, 2017
Swize Beson is dead
Chike and River
Joy of motherhood
Our wife has gone mad again
Romeo and Juliet
Murder in Cathedral

And many more
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by szen(m): 8:14am On Mar 02, 2017
mohawkchic:
~So Long A Letter ~Mariama Bâ.
~The God's Are Not To Blame ~Ola Rotimi
~Things Fall Apart ~Chinua Achebe
~Sweet Valley High ~Francine Pascal
~Famous 5 ~ Enid Blyton
~The Secret Seven ~ Enid Blyton
~Agatha Christie
~Sherlock Holmes
~A Few Pacesetta Books~cant remember the Titles undecided

you read Sherlock Holmes? wooow... me too

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 02, 2017
This post reminds me of my primary and secondary school years.
I was a voracious reader.
We discussed and analyzed novels read during break time.
I had female friends just for exchange of novels.
I read my parents novels to kill boredom-no time for movie.Nollywood not birthed then though.
I read most of the novels mentioned above.
I enjoyed reading Hadley Chase novels.
How I wish that era could be brought back.

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Totino: 8:18am On Mar 02, 2017
jumoke90:
so many wonderful books,
IS IT A BOOK TITLE?

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by spencekat(m): 8:19am On Mar 02, 2017
Chike and the river,So long a letter,Zambia shall be free,Eze goes to school,The marriage of Anasewa,etc
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by spencekat(m): 8:21am On Mar 02, 2017
Chike and the river,So long a letter,Zambia shall be free,Eze goes to school,The marriage of Anasewa,Joy of motherhood,Ojimba etc
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Totino: 8:25am On Mar 02, 2017
If this post can hit FP since 2009, relax... God will surely pick your call

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Lanceslot(m): 8:29am On Mar 02, 2017
OnyinyeGod:
The Maids are not to blame by Menakiti Onyekwelu ( I love this book so much, it inspires me)
Oku ghara ite
Chike and the river
Ojadili
This is our chance
My daughter my wealth
Anu gbaa ajo oso
and so many them ,
Have read Ije Odumodu jere and Okpa aku eri eri ? Very interesting novels.
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by sybarite7(m): 8:34am On Mar 02, 2017
SIZWE BANSI IS DEAD
RALIA D SUGAR GIRL
LION AND JEWEL
LORD OF THE FLIES
EZE GOES TO SCH
CHIKE AND THE RIVER
THE DRUMMER BOY
OWIE THE FLUTE PLAYER
BOYS MUST BE BOYS
OUR HUSBAND HAS GONE MAD
E.T.C

THE GOOD OLD DAYS WHEN WE WORE KITO,COMPUTER SOAKS, AND ALSO CUT OUR NAILS ,THE DAYS OF SIMBI AND ALI ...THE DAYS OF COLOURED POP CORN,THE DAYS OF HAUSA SWEET,THE DAYS WERE 10 AND 20 WAS USE TO SATISFY OUR HUNGER DURING BREAK TIME, MISS THE GOOD OLD DAYS...
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Nobody: 8:35am On Mar 02, 2017
well......i only watch tom & jerry, carton network & play rinco
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by vickertony(m): 8:41am On Mar 02, 2017
Armstrong34:
The fruit of honesty
Chike and the river
Without a silver spoon
Sugar girl
Animal Farm
Oliver twist
The punishment
Things fall Apart
Ibe the Cannon boy.......
Ade and his little sisters....
Childhood dreams

second chance......

the boomerang......

Many more if I can remember
Bro you took me down the memory lane....... Nkem in fruit of honesty is one of my favorite characters in African literature, the ups and downs of life, sufferings of a poor boy for being honest and truthful, what a cruel world!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) / The Cheaters (18+) / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.