Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,736 members, 7,824,085 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young (25352 Views)

Five Books You Must Have Read As A Nigerian / Outrageous Books You Won’t Believe Actually Exist / Books You Must Read! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by sunmbo123(m): 8:41am On Mar 02, 2017
chief koko and his bicycle
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by haykayneyo: 8:47am On Mar 02, 2017
Sammy107d:
Eze goes to school
Alawiye
Gbonka ati Timi
Igi Woroko
Eko ede Yoruba 1- infinty
Taiwo and Kehinde
Iyawo Alarede
So many more, (the most hilarious is one where the king decreed that everyone in the village must bow and worship him every time he sneezes and a bell is rung, Oba Agbara gunmi and this other english book with the house maid character named 'Polycarp')

i wonder what they read now,
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by bwise4godfwc: 8:48am On Mar 02, 2017
De OP oolumide is a typical Yoruba village man.. look at d names of books he mentioned thinking dat everyone here is from dat part of d country.......mtcheewww..!!!
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Nobody: 8:54am On Mar 02, 2017
i read number
then i also read the passport of Mallam Ilia
Juju rock
Zandi and the wonderful pillow
Tunji the motor mechanic
An african night"s entertainment
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Clemz4u4u: 8:56am On Mar 02, 2017
Read 90% of books mentioned on this thread. Good old days
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by excess4luv: 8:59am On Mar 02, 2017
If 2009 thread can hit front page in 2017 under Seun territory, then there is no cause to lose hope under God's territory, He will surely pick my call.

To the topic
Things fall apart--- Chinua Achebe
The gods are not to blame ---- Ola Rotimi
The incorruptible judge----- Olu Olagoke
One week one trouble----- ( I can't remember the author)
Chike and the River ----- (Chinua Achebe)
No food for lazy man -----
Eze goes to school-----
This is our chance....
The drummer boy-----
Animal farm ------
Mmiri oku eji egbu mbe------
and many others,
though I stopped reading novels in Jss3
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by segunwonder(m): 9:03am On Mar 02, 2017
The Bible
1. king solomon,s mine
2. nick carter series
3. T. Lobsang Rampa series
4. kane and Abel
5. First among equals
6. Mills n Boons
7. The Gideons New testament bible.
8. Tales of The arabian nights
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by riccadonna(f): 9:15am On Mar 02, 2017
Romeo and Juliet
Eze goes to school
My father's daughter
Ali and simbi
Chike and the river
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by riccadonna(f): 9:17am On Mar 02, 2017
Romeo and Juliet
Eze goes to school
My father's daughter
Ali and simbi
Chike and the river
Things fall apart
The gods r not to blame
The drummer boy
And bebe lo
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Situation001(m): 9:38am On Mar 02, 2017
Who ever read the land of undiscovered gold..
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by agabaI23(m): 9:38am On Mar 02, 2017
luvinhubby:

Ababa you are old school oooo!!

Anambra state, 80s cheesy
Yes bro, we no start today oo
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by shumuel(m): 9:43am On Mar 02, 2017
oolumide:
Which are the books you read when you were young that gives you nostalgic feelings
for me these are the one that I remember.

1. My fathers Daughter
2. Adventure of Sauza
3. Taiwo and Kehinde
4. Alawiye 1-6
5. Olowolayemo
6. Sugar girl

Chip in yours

Please who has read ''Lorenzo My Love'' its a novel of an ugly prince who got married to a beautiful lady who hated him simply because he was ugly, it was said she killed(stabbed him) but am not sure why she did or if she did because i was unable to complete the novel, my elder sister gave it out,, i would really like to know why she eventually killed him; if its because all the ladies now liked him for his kindness, if he cheated on her or if she was just tired of his ugliness.

Who has read the novel
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Raintaker(m): 9:46am On Mar 02, 2017
ademijuwonlo:
I ll like to reread the book as well.
The book is not the bottled leopard.
The bottled leopard is about Ameobi and chucks.
Ameobi had a spiritual leopard
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by kbbanj10(m): 9:49am On Mar 02, 2017
Igbo Olodumare, Alawiye, Weep Not Child, The Drummer Boy, Things Fall Apart, Mayor Of Casterbridge, Julius Ceaser, Juliet And Romeo
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Marotzke(m): 9:51am On Mar 02, 2017
excess4luv:
If 2009 thread can hit front page in 2017 under Seun territory, then there is no cause to lose hope under God's territory, He will surely pick my call.

To the topic
Eze goes to school-----
This is our chance....
The drummer boy-----
Animal farm ------
and many others,
One week ,one trouble ; Nkem Nwankwo.
Eze goes to school; Onuorah Nzekwu and Michael crouther
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Marotzke(m): 9:53am On Mar 02, 2017
excess4luv:

To the topic
Eze goes to school-----
This is our chance....
The drummer boy-----
Animal farm ------
and many others,
One week ,one trouble ; Nkem Nwankwo.( Tales out of school, More tales out of school,Danda. Not really sure on his authorship of Wilson Taagbo chronicles).
Eze goes to school; Onuorah Nzekwu and Michael crowther.
This is our chance(1956) James Ene Henshaw,

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by stuntman007: 9:55am On Mar 02, 2017
Animal Farm
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by jackie35(m): 9:57am On Mar 02, 2017
oolumide:
Which are the books you read when you were young that gives you nostalgic feelings
for me these are the one that I remember.

1. My fathers Daughter
2. Adventure of Sauza
3. Taiwo and Kehinde
4. Alawiye 1-6
5. Olowolayemo
6. Sugar girl

Chip in yours

OGBOJU ODE NINU IGBO IRUNMOLE
TALO PA OMO OBA
IRINKERINDO
ADIITU ELEDUMARE
ETC
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by swazpedro(m): 10:10am On Mar 02, 2017
trial of jimmy Johnson without a silver spoon trouble in firm six sugar girl
there is one with a witch shanga talata or so
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Cooleasy(m): 10:11am On Mar 02, 2017
Please who has any idea of where I can buy Pacesetters' series? I would appreciate a good response.
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by teelaw4life(m): 10:25am On Mar 02, 2017
Akanniade:
Ade our naugthy little brother
chike and the river
Ifeanyi and Obi
Return journey
Pacesetter series- my first was "life is a lottery"
Enid blyton serie
The African child
Passport of mallam Ilia
Iroko man and the wood carver
Lamb tales from shakespear
Silas Marner
Adventures of Souza
Juju rock
David copperfield
Return of Shettima
Chicken licken, henny penny, ducky lucky, drakey lackey, foxy loxy, goosy loosy, Ho the memories

I wish i had the time to read them all over again

One book stands out in your list. "The return Journey". I read this book so much a kid and sadly, i can only recall the name of one character, Diekola.

Can you recall the author's name?

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by teelaw4life(m): 10:29am On Mar 02, 2017
muyiscoi:
Eze goes to school
Oliver twist
The drummer boy
one week one trouble
double trouble
the lion and the jewel (alhough i can remeber that i did not understand i thing, i still read it)
eze goes to college
the concubine
things fall apart
the beautiful ones are not yet born (first two chapters only. it was too boring and i couldnt make myself continue reading it)
anthills of the savanna, e.t.c
the list is very long. i love to read and i did even way back when i was little.

The concubine was a good book full of life lessons. And that Ayi Kwei Armah's book sef. I tried very hard back then to read it but e no gree. One of these days when i have time, I'll get that book and conquer it.
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Femochiiiiiiiii(m): 10:40am On Mar 02, 2017
Omo oniyan

Stubborn Francis and the kidnapper .........
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by teelaw4life(m): 10:46am On Mar 02, 2017
Not sure i can recall every book I've read. Most of them were hand me downs with turn cover so i had no idea what the title was but i read all the same.

The concubine
The return Journey
Sunset in biafra
Animal farm
Oliver twist
Hamlet
Romeo and juliet
Great expectations
Tale of two cities
God's bits of wood
Sizwe Bansi is dead
People of the city
Joys of motherhood
Thirty nine steps
Petals of blood
Weep not child
Hadley chase collection (Make the corpse walk was one of my favorite)
A lot of detective novels too.
Unreal (favorite stories out of the bunch was "lighthouse blues" and "skeleton in the dunny")
Goosebump stories.
Harry potter
Hunger games by susanne collins.

The list goes on plus numerous books I've forgotten.

Ade and ghe river or is it Chike
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Miona: 10:57am On Mar 02, 2017
Exactly!! I remember these books.
Also,
Time changes yesterday
The Lion and the Jewel
Things fall apart

DeepSoul:
~The Beautiful Ones Are Not Yet Born~
~Oliver Twist~
~The Concubine~
~This Is Our Chance~
~The gods Are Not To Blame~
~Romeo and Juliet~
~Anthills of the Savannah~
~Etc~
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by naijafunds: 11:06am On Mar 02, 2017
Join our platform about to be launched in less than three hours, Donate N10,000 and Get N30,000 swiftly. The faster you join the faster you get matched. Visit NaijaFunds.com. Good Morning Nairalanders...
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by mildteddy(m): 11:39am On Mar 02, 2017
The Drummer Boy - Cyprain Ekwensi
African Entertainment Series
Adventures of Souza
Ndapi's Childhood
African Child
One Week One Trouble
Eze Goes to School
Weep Not Child
Tale Out of School
So many others.
Longman Simplified Series:
Adventures of HuckleBerry Finn
Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Treasure Island
The Three Musketteers
The Moonstone
So many others
James Hardely Chase Collection

Potters Wheel
Bottled Leopard
Tell Freedom
The Black Boy

Other that I can't remember their title
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 02, 2017
ALAWIYE
MURDER IN THE CATHEDRAL
LION AND THE JEWELS
THINGS FALL APART (MY FAVORITE)
IREKE ONIBUDO
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by Elguyik(m): 12:11pm On Mar 02, 2017
Efuru by flora nwafa. - so long a letter by mariama ba. An African night entertainment by cyperi ekwense. Beggers strike by Aminata so.. Still born by zainab alkaliB-)B-)B-)
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by bhella10: 12:12pm On Mar 02, 2017
jackie35:

OGBOJU ODE NINU IGBO IRUNMOLE TALO PA OMO OBA IRINKERINDO ADIITU ELEDUMARE ETC
Add ireke onibudo to that list

1 Like

Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by jackie35(m): 12:33pm On Mar 02, 2017
bhella10:

Add ireke onibudo to that list

and IGBI AYE NYI
Re: Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young by YesNo(m): 12:46pm On Mar 02, 2017
mohawkchic:
~So Long A Letter ~Mariama Bâ.
~The God's Are Not To Blame ~Ola Rotimi
~Things Fall Apart ~Chinua Achebe
~Sweet Valley High ~Francine Pascal
~Famous 5 ~ Enid Blyton
~The Secret Seven ~ Enid Blyton
~Agatha Christie
~Sherlock Holmes
~A Few Pacesetta Books~cant remember the Titles undecided

Enid Blyton.

That writer can paint the perfect pictures with captivating words that would open your sense of imagination and put you right in the story book.

I read lots of them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Lashes Out At Donald Trump And Americans In Her Article / The Cheaters (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.