Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,073 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics (31728 Views)

Nigerian Athlete Blessing Okagbare Breaks 22-year-old African Record / Blessing Okagbare's Wig Falls Off During Leap (Photos, Video) / Blessing Okagbare Beats Usain Bolt To 2016 Guinness World Records (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by hob(m): 11:52am On Sep 09, 2015
A ban is too harsh naaaaaaaaaa

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by F22RAPTOR(m): 12:04pm On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
She should be banned. Why tell lies? Does C. Ronaldo resort to lies to skip obligations? It's only in Nigeria such unethical behaviour is condoned and encouraged. Make we go mark attendance, no wahala, abi Blessing been no dey London in 2012? She win medal? She can sit home next year and watch others in Rio. And please, she can't make the US team
listen to yourself, wether you like it or not, she is the best we've got. After her last perfomance, the federation should have encouraged her to do better, instead they are running their mouth. And for your info, if USA handle this girl, we wont recognize her again.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by ojoadeola: 12:06pm On Sep 09, 2015
Patriotism is key.
Blessing left her marriage to run for Nigeria, instead of making babies.
She used her personal fund to support herself and train herself.
She worked extra hard to excel in international competitions.
She was all over the globe running one diamond league after another to prepare herself for the ultimate goal i.e. to do well for Nigeria and also earn money though.
She did well in all her meets except the Beijing meet where she came last and alas, we all rose up to crucify her instead of encouraging her.
She came out with the post below to state her side of the story.

Blessing Okagbare Ighoteguonor Mfr shared Blessing okagbare's post.
September 6 at 3:45pm ·

Blessing okagbare
The Year 2015 has been a mixed bag of fortunes and lack thereof for Africa's fastest woman. It started great at the Shanghai Diamond League meet where Blessing won the 100 meters but afterwards it all descended into some unfortunate situations as she was dogged and plagued with Injuries.
In early July it was a knee injury at a meet in Lausanne, Switzerland that was then followed by one of the most unfortunate and darkest period in Blessing's Career at the 15th Edition of the IAAF World Athletics Championship in Beijing, China, where she was hoping to make waves and stamp herself as one of the best woman sprinters the world has ever seen, but instead she had to deal with a sore hamstring that caused her to withdraw from the 200 meters race and to make matters worse, a media controversy.
Despite all this Blessing was able to honor her commitment to the Diamond League and finished her season on a high note with a second place finish behind Jamaica's Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce at the 100 meters in Zurich, Switzerland.
Blessing will now seek to get healthier to begin her journey of preparation for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games where with the lord on her side, will claim whats hers on the medal podium.
Blessing will now call it a season and therefore will not be attending any more meets which includes the All African Games that is now ongoing in the Congolese capital city of Brazzaville.
Blessing wants to thank all of those who have been by her side throughout this trying 2015 season and have shown her unconditional love and support; from the Lord Almighty to her Family, her management team, meet organizers and officials of her Federation who have been understanding and worked with her throughout her trials. Last but not least you the fans who have been so doting and supportive and even though on some occasion she felt like she let you down she very much appreciates you all standing by her and supporting her good times or bad times.
She will return in 2016 with a bang to make history for Nigeria and the African continent. Thank you all and God Bless!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blessing-okagbare/188555571168510?pnref=story
https://www.facebook.com/blessing.okagbare?fref=ts

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by mymissingrib(m): 12:12pm On Sep 09, 2015
we don start again that may b d last tym she will b running for naija
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by safarigirl(f): 12:26pm On Sep 09, 2015
nurseafrica:
. Be there beefing while the gurl is busy making millions. Your nitwitted opinion is not needed I guess you have not made your compound team of useful people. Trying to put out some one light does not make your light shine brighter. Ladies beefing each other since 1804,,, Jelousy de smell. Nobody knows you. Last time I checked you just spent your MB( money) to read about Blessing. Mtchew
who the phuck is this cretin? You think you can just come online and spew whatever trash in that rottening brain of yours? It's only a dense oaf that assumes everyone criticising a wrong action is 'beefing'. What is in Okagbare to beef? When intelligent women like Chimamanda are still alive, I'll be wasting beef on Okagbare, who is she? The fact that you have failed to achieve anything in your miserable existence does not mean everybody is like you. So why don't you go borrow a life, instead of foolishly attackin people you know nothing of, swine.

2 Likes

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Chanchit: 12:26pm On Sep 09, 2015
prodiG:
Can she still change her nationality? shocked

Yes, she can. Francis Obikwelu (not sure of the surname) now runs for portugal, Gloria Alozie for Spain after they both dumped Nigeria.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by safarigirl(f): 12:30pm On Sep 09, 2015
F22RAPTOR:

listen to yourself, wether you like it or not, she is the best we've got. After her last perfomance, the federation should have encouraged her to do better, instead they are running their mouth. And for your info, if USA handle this girl, we wont recognize her again.
oya carry her go Rio now, the fact that she's all you've got says a lot of how rotten this country is. So, when she retires, what will happen? We'll stop sending sprinters abi? You people should give yourselves small prestige. I've seen better runners than Okagbare in Secondary school, she's not all we've got, we just don't want to promote more.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Afam4eva(m): 12:47pm On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
She should be banned. Why tell lies? Does C. Ronaldo resort to lies to skip obligations? It's only in Nigeria such unethical behaviour is condoned and encouraged. Make we go mark attendance, no wahala, abi Blessing been no dey London in 2012? She win medal? She can sit home next year and watch others in Rio. And please, she can't make the US team
If you know what these our athletes go through in the hands of those running sports in Nigeria, you wont blame them. I'm not holding brief for her but we have to put our sports together starting from those at the helm of affairs before blaming our athletes. If she's banned from participating in the RIO Olympics, then we can as well stay house as she's our only hpope for a medal. We wouldn't want to embarrass ourselves further.

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by MoneyGreen(m): 12:54pm On Sep 09, 2015
make she go run for Biafra na grin
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Shinor(m): 12:56pm On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:

I respectfully disagree. It is not only in Nigeria that this happens. I don't know why you people are quick to condemn your country. It happens in England. Alex Ferguson Yes Sir Alex has been accused by the English FA of telling his players to duck national duty. Mourhino of Chelsea has told English players to duck national duty especially where it's a friendly. So why not blame these managers too? Stop jumping the gun.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by onila(f): 1:09pm On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
cool
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by mikolo80: 1:10pm On Sep 09, 2015
MRBrownJ:

like a nice vacation for the track & field athletes
Abi for d officials wen go plenty pass

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by safarigirl(f): 1:18pm On Sep 09, 2015
Afam4eva:

If you know what these our athletes go through in the hands of those running sports in Nigeria, you wont blame them. I'm not holding brief for her but we have to put our sports together starting from those at the helm of affairs before blaming our athletes. If she's banned from participating in the RIO Olympics, then we can as well stay house as she's our only hpope for a medal. We wouldn't want to embarrass ourselves further.
i'm not absolving AFN of their faults, but what she did was wrong. I know how Nigerians attacked Mikel that period he was feigning injury to avoid national engagements, what Okagbare did here is no different, so why are people bringing AFN's faults where the athlete should be reprimanded? We shouldn't justify any wrongs just because an elite athlete did it. I don't care for athletics medals, I don't even watch it at Olympics. I will only watch the Football(if we qualify) and basketball games and hope the weightlifters do something. Na me dey use the medal?

1 Like

Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by MRBrownJ: 1:31pm On Sep 09, 2015
mikolo80:
Abi for d officials wen go plenty pass

lol, how could i forget them?! there might be more officials than athletes coming to Rio.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by mikolo80: 1:57pm On Sep 09, 2015
MRBrownJ:

lol, how could i forget them?! there might be more officials than athletes coming to Rio.
maybe because of buhari they might arrange diasef dis time
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Theflint1(m): 2:04pm On Sep 09, 2015
Shinor:

I respectfully disagree. It is not only in Nigeria that this happens. I don't know why you people are quick to condemn your country. It happens in England. Alex Ferguson Yes Sir Alex has been accused by the English FA of telling his players to duck national duty. Mourhino of Chelsea has told English players to duck national duty especially where it's a friendly. So why not blame these managers too? Stop jumping the gun.
Does Ferguson and Mourinho telling players to duck national team games give justification to ducking national team duties?
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Funjosh(m): 2:11pm On Sep 09, 2015
safarigirl:
oya carry her go Rio now, the fact that she's all you've got says a lot of how rotten this country is. So, when she retires, what will happen? We'll stop sending sprinters abi? You people should give yourselves small prestige. I've seen better runners than Okagbare in Secondary school, she's not all we've got, we just don't want to promote more.

Am happy because you now knows that those guys running our sport are the cos of it all. They were all running their mouth against her in Beijing including our press men. We are all human Safarigirl if you are the one that receive what Blessing got from Nigeria you might still do the same or even do worst self.

Blessing is not single again I can't allow my wife to be insulted and treated the way Blessing was, non of them even try to check on her if truly she was injured and keepon expecting her to still come and be cleaning their mess.

Dia is more to all these than just blaming her for what she did. I will still keep on blaming AFN and NSC for all these and not Blessing.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by homesteady(m): 2:20pm On Sep 09, 2015
This is just a silly decision which they'll surely rescind! If this was Mikel or former osaze, I wouldn't have blinked an eyelash, but this is Blessing who has always been committed to Nigeria even without the most adequate support from the country apart from Uduagan!

Those saying Nigeria has 160 million people and another person can be picked, do you know how long it took for Blessing to attain this height she has reached? Why don't you start going from village to village looking for a better replacement? since the AFN has bad scouts, you can assist!
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by nonjebose(m): 2:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
Chanchit:
Instead of this fools to get her a psychologist, they are banning her. She's disappointed with her last performance, nd she won't be happy jubilating with an AAG gold medal which she's sure of winning. Maybe they are reminding her its time to go run for the Canada or Uk, there are many countries monitoring this situation I'm sure, and I would be happy if she joins any of them. Steeewpeed foools.
Don't mind the lazy fools. Imagine the shameless goons, who should answer questions why the federation has failed us in throwing up class A athletes. So they are so insensitive to the huge challenge of having just one sprinter carrying the hopes of a whole nation
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by ayindejimmy(m): 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2015
Funjosh:

Even at this her present age, let those oyinbo handle her, you will be surprised that she will beat those. Jamaicans and Americans.

Blessings got more golds in her bloods.

Let's. Be objective here.
There is a standard procedures in the AfN that if you are invited to the AAG and you declined to come. If your case is examined the the federation observed that you have no good reasons, you won't be invited for the Olympics.

She has made her choice what do you want the AfN to do?
All they did was apply the rule
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Mergic(m): 3:07pm On Sep 09, 2015
[quote author=safarigirl post=37830620]who the phuck is this cretin? You think you can just come online and spew whatever trash in that rottening brain of yours? It's only a dense oaf that assumes everyone criticising a wrong action is 'beefing'. What is in Okagbare to beef? When intelligent women like Chimamanda are still alive, I'll be wasting beef on Okagbare, who is she? The fact that you have failed to achieve anything in your miserable existence does not mean everybody is like you. So why don't you go borrow a life, instead of foolishly attackin people you know nothing of, swine. [/quote ]

Okagbare is the fastest woman in Africa.....Plz who the hell are yu??
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by nonjebose(m): 3:25pm On Sep 09, 2015
sprinter101:
I am in support with her. Nigeria don't take good care of their athlete .my elder brother came for this iaaf qualifier held in warri.he was suppose to b paid 2mil,but was paid 900k and was made to sign that he collect d 2mill,he said her will neva represent Nigeria again.
Most of them are thieves, yet they expect respect from the athletes.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by bettercreature(m): 3:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
Chanchit:
Instead of this fools to get her a psychologist, they are banning her. She's disappointed with her last performance, nd she won't be happy jubilating with an AAG gold medal which she's sure of winning. Maybe they are reminding her its time to go run for the Canada or Uk, there are many countries monitoring this situation I'm sure, and I would be happy if she joins any of them. Steeewpeed foools.
You are the foool here,it's an obligation for you to represent your country whenever the need arises,just shut your mouth
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by nonjebose(m): 3:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
FolarinLondon:

See your life, most Nigerians that had tour that path in life, where are they today in their newly found countries?

I remember a young Igbo boy called Omeria or something, this guy was called to Nigeria National team on platter of gold but was advised against it by his parents who live in UK; the parents wanted him to play for England instead. Till date, England didn't even call him to their training ground talk less of being played in the last world cup.

After the world cup, his premiership career went down speedily and gone under radar till date.

What about Christine Oru......, She was badly treated by British sport commission to the point she threatened them with dumping them for Nigeria flag.

If Okagbare deserves to be punished, so be it.
Okagbare is not in that class, forget her last performance. She wil be very well welcomed by these other countries
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by nonjebose(m): 3:53pm On Sep 09, 2015
dayowunmi:
I think the athletics federation is right on this one. Performance in the all africa games is the yard stick they use in selecting candidates for the olympic games, if she says she's not going it logically follows that she can't represent us at the olympics then. Participating at olympic games is not just arbitrary, there are tournaments serves as criteria for your selection by ur continent or ur country(country in the case of okagbare) where u are chosen, for example, for any country to represent africa in soccer at the olympic games, you have to win or atleast reach the final of the African youth championship, otherwise, you not going, if u going, you are only going as a spectator. It is the standard procedure. Blessing is our best athlete by a long margin, but I also think the standard should be upheld without favoritism in this case. Other runners too are human beings and if they are willing to participate at the games, then they should get the nod.
AAG is not the only qualifying event.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Funjosh(m): 4:10pm On Sep 09, 2015
And here we go again lipsrsealed

AHEAD RIO 2016 OLYMPIC GAMES Disregard Okagbare ban story-AFN The Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) has described as outright falsehood media reports that fleet footed Africa queen of the track and field Blessing Okagbare has been banned by the National Sports Commission (NSC) and AFN from participating in the Rio 2016 Olympics Games. In a statement signed by Olukayode Thomas a member of the board of AFN and head of Communication and Media described the report as false. “ Why would a reporter report that Okagbare has banned from the Rio Olympics and will not attribute such an important story to a staff of NSC or AFN ? The story is not true.’’ Thomas revealed that Okagbare has not done anything that warrants the federation to ban her. “ Even if Okagbare has done something and we intend to punish her, the secretary General will first write her a letter inviting her to face disciplinary committee where she will defend herself against the allegation. After a fair hearing, the disciplinary committee will make a recommendation to the board, and the board will now decide’’. Thomas said that as at today, AFN has not query nor summon her to appear before the disciplinary committee so the ban story is figment of a reporter’s imagination. He also argued the NSC headed by Mallam Alhassan Yakmut will not ban Okagbare without a fair hearing if she commits any offense. ‘’ Okagbare has not done anything to warrant NSC to ban her, but even if she did, the Director General is former athlete and an astute administrator, he will follow due process’’ said Thomas.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Vergin20: 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2015
[size=28pt]Boycott from the country of western Nigeria to the All Africa games

see medal table...

The host country is highlighted in lavender blue

Rank
1 Egypt (EGY) 26 26 21 73
2 South Africa (RSA) 23 17 15 55
3 Algeria (ALG) 14 15 13 42
4 Tunisia (TUN) 10 4 9 17
5 Congo (CGO) 2 0 5 7
6 Senegal (SEN) 1 2 5 8
7 Cameroon (CMR) 1 0 2 3
8 Mauritius (MRI) 1 0 0 1
Zimbabwe (ZIM) 1 0 0 1
10 Botswana (BOT) 0 4 2 6
11 Gabon (GAB) 0 1 0 1
Angola (ANG) 0 1 0 1
13 Seychelles (SEY) 0 0 3 3
14 Nigeria (NGR) 0 0 2 2

2011 The host country is highlighted in lavender blue

1 South Africa (RSA) 61 55 40 156
2 Egypt (EGY) 32 14 20 66
[b]3 Nigeria (NGR) 31 28 39 98

4 Tunisia (TUN) 29 26 13 68
5 Algeria (ALG) 22 29 34 85
6 Kenya (KEN) 14 14 22 50
7 Senegal (SEN) 8 8 17 33
8 Cameroon (CMR) 8 5 20 33
9 Ethiopia (ETH) 6 10 12 28
10 Angola (ANG) 6 10 10 26

[/b][/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2825003_2824426biafrajpegdda8601bb8e576c15f96d0fbe6a273fc_jpeg156e34a832e3d1667df257ab1f964a4e
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2824425_494591937_jpegd6cabcf28561fd455d5488294227cb3c
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2825193_nigeriaarticlelarge_jpeg5228ece3c919133ea4983c21d66ea81e
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2824492_biafragirlflag_jpeg117f6379c160d3955d10436d24256ef6
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2824518_p18pg25ha9iupde155g1i6ircj4_jpeg26b72e4758dba5560616d9da49ffd65b
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by Chanchit: 4:51pm On Sep 09, 2015
bettercreature:
You are the foool here,it's an obligation for you to represent your country whenever the need arises,just shut your mouth

So she's now a slave to her father land? She should go to a tournament against her will? You are a very steeewpeed imbeci-le.
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by dayowunmi(m): 5:10pm On Sep 09, 2015
nonjebose:
AAG is not the only qualifying event.
Which other ones do u know? Olympics is next year in Rio, AAG is the biggest games before then other than the national trials that will be held by the Athletics federation, above all I guess its standard procedure even she herself is aware off, but she just wan show herself. Some people are saying she should leave nigeria to go be running for another country, when she gets there, she has to run in their events too, you can't pick and choose major games at ur discretion, AAG is biggest games in africa I know
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by mart2k(m): 5:34pm On Sep 09, 2015
IGBO again!!!!! Mayb she too dey agitate for Biafry
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by nonjebose(m): 5:36pm On Sep 09, 2015
dayowunmi:

Which other ones do u know? Olympics is next year in Rio, AAG is the biggest games before then other than the national trials that will be held by the Athletics federation, above all I guess its standard procedure even she herself is aware off, but she just wan show herself. Some people are saying she should leave nigeria to go be running for another country, when she gets there, she has to run in their events too, you can't pick and choose major games at ur discretion, AAG is biggest games in africa I know
You are missing the point. The point is that AAG may be biggest event in africa, but she gets to qualify not only thru the national trials but also thru a wildcard as one with one of the best time this season. All these happens if the two faced goons at AFN want. She is licensed to ' show herself' as long as we pay lip service to athletes and other sports'
Re: Blessing Okagbare Banned From Rio Olympics by dayowunmi(m): 5:42pm On Sep 09, 2015
nonjebose:
You are missing the point. The point is that AAG may be biggest event in africa, but she gets to qualify not only thru the national trials but also thru a wildcard as one with one of the best time this season. All these happens if the two faced goons at AFN want. She is licensed to ' show herself' as long as we pay lip service to athletes and other sports'
Okay o! I surrender. I hope they can resolve it sha, she's made some personal sacrifice for Nigeria over the years, so I hope, things get resolved, cos without her, our little bronze medals we usually get on the last day of the games is looking more unlikely.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Arsenal To Face Real Madrid & Bayern Munich (see Details) / Top 5 Footballers Halloween Costumes : Luis Garcia & Evra Scares / Anthony Joshua Given 24 Hours To Respond To $50m Offer To Fight Wilder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.