Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,906 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely (25595 Views)

ANSU Shuts Down Indefinitely, After Graduate Was Tortured To Death / Exclusive Photos: UNILAG Shuts Students Out Of Hostels Inside The Rain / BREAKING-Uniport Shut Down Indefinitely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by salau01(m): 9:46am On Sep 10, 2015

The management of the University of Lagos has closed down the school, following the protests that broke out on Wednesday.

Students barricaded the entrance of the school premises, as they expressed their anger over the death of their colleague, Oluchi Anekwe, who was electrocuted on Tuesday night in front of New Hall of residence in the institution.

It was a scene of chaos, as the students chanted wildly and some of them waved leaves and sticks.

DAILY POST recalls that a female student of the school was killed by high tension cable in front of Sodeinde Hall of residence on the campus.

It was gathered that the female student was walking along the “New Hall” bus stop when a high voltage electric cable fell off the pole, striking her to death.

The student was immediately rushed to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), but gave up before the ambulance conveying her could reach the hospital.

Although firefighters were called to the scene, they soon left after taking the victim from the scene, leaving the entire area without cordoning it off or placing caution tape around it.
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by davuvid(m): 9:56am On Sep 10, 2015
Don't have mb to read that, it's better I call Gabriel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by LadyMessi(f): 10:02am On Sep 10, 2015
I don't think is a nice idea, when students are almost getting ready for second semester exams. Pls d sch management shld knw what to do asap.
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by Smooyis(m): 10:06am On Sep 10, 2015
An electric cable that should have been promptly attended to by the school authority has now led to the death of a promising youngster and closure of Unilag.

Our attitude of carelessness in this country is unparalleled. I was stunned when I watched on TV the school authority trying to pass the blame to others. How can we now expect they will learn from the incident.

As usual no one will pay for this neglect. And the cycle continues again and again.
This ugly trend has to stop.

If not for anything but to teach the school management a serious lesson, the bereaved family should take legal steps to seek redress and pursue the case to a conclusive end.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by yatch360: 12:16pm On Sep 10, 2015
undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by Richie0974: 2:29pm On Sep 10, 2015
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by tolexy007(m): 2:29pm On Sep 10, 2015
angry RIP pretty

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by dave2meek(m): 2:29pm On Sep 10, 2015
All these are not gonna bring the girl back to life
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by LatestTrend: 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2015
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by MisterLongman(m): 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2015
Smooyis:
An electric cable that should have been carefully attended to has now led to death and closure of unilag. Our attitude of carelessness in this country is unparalleled.

As usual no one will pay for this neglect. And the circle continues again.
Both the government and the people are to be blamed.....
This wires shouldn't have been in a residential area or they should ve been removed when the such area becomes occupied by people or to be passed underground.....
Imagine people were crying foul when ogun state govt. decided to demolish houses under live wires despite the fact that its for their own good

12 Likes

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by lekjons(m): 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2015
pathetic.. It's Buhari's fault!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2015
I saw this coming...
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by ElFenomeno1: 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2015
Very unfortunate.
May her soul rest in peace... It could have happened to anyone.

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by BUAR(m): 2:30pm On Sep 10, 2015
Greatest Nigerian students !!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by efilefun(m): 2:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
This should serve as a sign to those who believe in embezzling public funds or those greedy ones who believe the world belongs to them, we can only talk about what we doing presently and what we did few mins ago BUT NO ONE can say whats gonna happen in the next SECOND.

May her soul rest in peace and may God Almighty give her parents and loved ones the fortitude to bear the loss
May God continue to Guide and Guard us all.

4 Likes

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by Abbycite(m): 2:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
Protest?? For what?

RIP to the dead......

But this is a freak accident, it could happen to anyone anywhere and anytime......I wonder what would av warrant a protest in d 1st placr

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by adedayourt(m): 2:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
nobody is happy about d death. d students sud also kno ders nothing any1 cud av done
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by jimfend: 2:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
So sad...
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by kuljayms1(m): 2:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
RIP 2 d dead..... Meanwhile, buhari till 2040

1 Like

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by paulolee(m): 2:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
Dey shud Av good reasons for d protest..
D protest wunt bring her bk to life bt maybe dey ar protesting to avoid oda untimely deaths..
She is dead n gone...R.I.P to her...
In other news..
Buhari calling unknown special numbers for d final screening n selection of ministerial list...bbchausa...
Cnt gv u names for now bcoz even buhari dunt know d actual ministers he wud appoint before d end of d month as promised.....Lia muhammad...

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by Nathdoug(m): 2:32pm On Sep 10, 2015
Wat a beatiful girl...wat a wicked world
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by Dindondin(m): 2:32pm On Sep 10, 2015
these students sha
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by SylarsMcQuins: 2:32pm On Sep 10, 2015
People still booking spaces again on this, na wa for Nairalanders oo.
Some1 died n ur booking spaces.
God forgive u all

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by Imoy(m): 2:33pm On Sep 10, 2015
Too bad
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by SylarsMcQuins: 2:34pm On Sep 10, 2015
MisterLongman:

Both the government and the people are to be blamed.....
This wires shouldn't have been in a residential area or they should ve been removed when the such area becomes occupied by people or to be passed underground.....
Imagine people were crying foul when ogun state govt. decided to demolish houses under live wires despite the fact that its for their own good

Nope,they people(students) can't be blamed in this situation.
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by Nobody: 2:34pm On Sep 10, 2015
May God grant her an eternal rest.
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by Mcowubaba: 2:34pm On Sep 10, 2015
LadyMessi:
I don't think is a nice idea, when students are almost getting ready for second semester exams. Pls d sch management shld knw what to do asap.
...what should they do undecided
Assuming u were near unilag yesterday, u will not be typing dis

2 Likes

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by DICKtator: 2:35pm On Sep 10, 2015
I saw this report on TV and I was shocked when the University's representative (Was it the VC? Or PRO) who addressed the student stated that the cable wasn't a UNILAG cable wire

Such an asinine comment!!

How does that bring back the dead?

Does that change the risk involved?

The end of this report states that the "naked" wire is still there!!!!

Nothing has been done about the wire!!!!

Bloody phooolz

grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by HouseOfWine: 2:35pm On Sep 10, 2015
Please guys don't be misinformed, that was yesterday.

As of today, thursday the 10th, the school is back to their normal academic & party mode status..

3 Likes

Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by EmagNig(m): 2:35pm On Sep 10, 2015
good move, negligence must stop

[size=16pt]sexyLADE[/size] says so

NIGERIA'S 1ST e-MAGAZINE? CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by Skyeline: 2:36pm On Sep 10, 2015
Carelessness at it again...
Re: UNILAG Shuts Down Indefinitely by tunde202(m): 2:38pm On Sep 10, 2015
Standing By Oluchi.

I just got a BC calling to Protest and demonstration over the sad death of Oluchi in Unilag.

So quickly, following the principle that explanation/clarification should never be delayed when due...

Yes it is really sad but we have to be frank for I love you for Allaah's sake.

Hence we should be informed you, Muslim who has taken part in that protest has committed a great sin from many angles:

First, to what end is the protest?

If u say it's to call the attention of the authority, we say: there are other means which are permissible. Protest is not permissible in islam it gives birth to more evil.

And so that we can relate, I will narrate:

3 years ago, unilag was changed to maulag, there were serious protests. In one of the protests, on third mainland bridge, a woman was in labour and was stock in d traffic for hours cus some students blocked dat road. Others couldn't go to work etc.

A lot of things went wrong and thousands were deprived one way or the other.

All these ppl also have rights which were taken from them. And by Allaah, this right shall be returned on THAT day...

So imagine the number of ppl u have deprived today. Two wrongs never make a right.

If u say d protest is to honour d girl, that falls under wailing over the dead: wailing over the dead is a major sin. RasooluLlaah called it a form of disbelief.

The black friday, it has no basis. U taking part would be a form of imitation of the non believers. Which also a major sin. Whoever immitates a group of ppl is one of them (hadith).

As an aside, it is not wrong to sympathise with the family, as a Muslim. However, unlike the ignorant ones, we Muslims have principles which set us apart.

U may find that protest is popular in some parts of the Muslim world, however, it is wrong. And we all know and can see the aftermath.

And if u only sent the bc by way of solidarity, u will have d same sin as those who go for it will have.

U will have sins for corparting in evil and transgression.

Shaytaan beautifies sins. Pls dont fall into these traps.

Again, it is really sad that such happened to Oluchi. But please think about the implications of u joining this protest, few of which are mentioned above.

May Allaah honour me and you.

Abu Umar

Pls share with brothers and sisters.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering / Gateway Polytechnic Students Protest Along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (Photos) / Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.