Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,849 members, 7,813,882 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

FINANCIAL CRISIS: Opposition Lambast Ajimobi Over Ostentatious Living - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FINANCIAL CRISIS: Opposition Lambast Ajimobi Over Ostentatious Living (423 Views)

Chibok Community Lambast Government, Media Over Treatment Of Rescued Girl / Financial Crisis Hits PDP, Debts Now N872 Million- Trail Newspaper / Financial Crisis: “we Will Reduce Workers’ Salaries, Retrench Or Restructure” – (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

FINANCIAL CRISIS: Opposition Lambast Ajimobi Over Ostentatious Living by Adesiji77: 10:34pm On Sep 10, 2015
The dwindling economic value of the Pacesetter State is no doubt a bitter pill that many residents of the state are still finding pretty difficult to swallow. As thousands of workers are licking the wounds of unpaid backlog of salaries and silently praying to God to see the state out of its present quagmire, the teachers, lawmakers and even artisans are asking God to let this trying period pass the state over.
Just as the State is battling to wriggle itself out of the hydra-headed problems, a report of the introduction of the daughter of Governor Abiola Ajimobi filtered in. The introduction which was done in Ibadan some days ago has generated ripples in the State.

Though, the opposition claimed a wedding was done in London, Beirut in Lebanon and Nigeria, one of the staunch supporters of the governor, Mr. Wasiu Olatunbosun, said that the governor only did introduction which was low key in Ibadan and that the wedding proper will be done in Beirut on the 10th of this month. He argued that the governor never did any introduction in London, noting that the lies were knit together by the opposition who are still in limbo seeing that Governor Ajimobi has broken the jinx of being the first governor to govern the State twice.
A pressure group under the auspices of “Change Agent Movement” has alleged that the flamboyant lifestyle of the governor was unbecoming of a public office holder who holds his people in high esteem.

Ostentatious lifestyle
According to the group, Governor Ajimobi’s ostentatious lifestyle did not reflect the present financial predicament his administration had thrown the State into. The group alleged that the showy lifestyle of the governor depicted an ‘I don’t care attitude’ pretending all is well with the state when in actual fact, the administration had grounded the economic activities to a halt.

The group through its chairman and secretary, Messrs Abolaji Adeosun and Malik Adehun respectively were particularly annoyed with the governor for allegedly “gallivanting” around the world organising wedding ceremony for his daughter in London, Lebanon and Nigeria.”
To the group the recent life style of the governor portrayed him as a person who doesn’t care about his neighbour, adding that the governor should at this time focus on the payment of the backlog of salaries owed workers.

According to the group, “it is an insult on the people of the state for a governor, who cannot point to anything as an achievement since his second term inauguration to be living an extravagant life style. Workers are being owed salaries running into months, yet the governor is gallivanting around the globe organizing wedding for his daughter.”
The group maintained that economic activities in the state are paralysed and that dirt have returned to the streets. Polytechnic workers are on strike and nothing seems to be working presently, yet the governor is pursuing vanity instead of making the people happy.

It said: “it is sad to note that the reality of the present situation is not of concern to the governor. The governor had his daughter’s introduction in London, wedding in Ibadan and the same wedding is happening in Beirut, Lebanon at the weekend. We are not saying the governor is not free to have a wedding for his daughter, but the extravagance of the wedding is a thing of concern for a State which is presently engulfed in financial crisis. “We recall with nostalgia how the governor’s first daughter wedding was organized in 2010. It wasn’t continental, No London or Lebanon because of his financial status. Former governors of the State organized weddings for their sons and daughters too while in power but they did not transverse the continent for it.
“Even, former Governor Akala, who was tagged a spendthrift didn’t show the kind of extravagance governor Ajimobi is displaying now. It is a pity that the fate of the people of the state is in the hands of Mr. Me and my immediate family alone.
“Recently, the Governor responded to his critics, saying that they should understand the policies of his administration before criticizing him. We appeal to the governor to explain why he would have a wedding for a single daughter in London, Nigeria and Lebanon while he recently told workers to wait till October to get their salaries backlog cleared.
“We urge Governor Ajimobi to as a matter of urgency do the needful to get the bail out funds of the federal government in order to pay the workers and end the strike actions in the State’s higher institutions instead of embarking on frivolities of life. However, any attempts to divert the N26b would be met with stiff resistance and backfire,” the organisation warned.
But, reacting on behalf of the governor, Mr. Gbade Ojo, his spokesperson said the media should concern itself with a more serious issue rather than the private life of the governor.

Bogus group
He said, “That is the personal life of his Excellency and I don’t want to dabble into it. If I’m a governor and my daughter wants to do her wedding, should I postpone it because the State has not been able to pay its workers?”
“All states in the country are affected. Why should a bogus group now use that against his Excellency. I think that media should be more concerned in serious issues. If a bogus group is saying that, the media should focus its attention on something more important.”
Olatunbosun, who said the pack of lies by the opposition should be thrown into the dust bin noted that before the election when they were living in fool’s paradise that the governor would not win the election, lies of this nature were not rampant. But, now that God had disappointed them, they have resorted unfounded lies just to castigate the personality of the governor.

He said, “To show the sensitivity of the governor to the problems at hand, he did not constitute his cabinet and he cut off so many things just to make sure that the state gets out of the problem. You know the antics of the opposition, when they hear of one thing they blow it out of proportion so as to cast shadow on the personality of the governor and give people a wrong impression. But, the people of the State are no fools.

Drowning person
Tell me is there any wisdom in what they are saying? In fact, the governor intentionally made the introduction low key, what else do they want him to do. That is how a drowning person is doing. All their antics are over. Please, do not mind them.”
Governor Ajimobi seems to be aware of what the opposition can say. During the one year anniversary of the death of Aare Musulumi of Yorubaland, Alhaji Abdul-Azeez Arisekola-Alao, he wanted to announce a donation but later changed his mind saying, “If I announce any amount now, I know what you can say. Some of you will be saying, imagine how much he donated for an ordinary book launch when he can’t pay the workers’ salaries”.

Until the governor settles the salary arrears of workers in the State, there is no end in sight to uncomplimentary remarks.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/financial-crisis-opposition-lambast-ajimobi-over-ostentatious-living/#sthash.3Qzp5SsV.dpuf lalasticlala
Re: FINANCIAL CRISIS: Opposition Lambast Ajimobi Over Ostentatious Living by FYB(m): 10:35pm On Sep 10, 2015
Ajimobi, you should remember that your people showed you love by returning you back to power. ...Please reciprocate this rare love from Oyo people

(1) (Reply)

Collapsed Jos School Building Was Originally A Bungalow / ICPC Arraigns 5 Directors In Niger Delta Ministry Over N655million Theft / We Paid For Falae's Release

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.