Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,700 members, 7,837,568 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl (8147 Views)

5 Interesting Reasons Why You Should Marry A Typical Nigerian Woman. / What Kind Of Woman Would You Love To Marry- Choose (picture) / ' I Sold My Child For N4M And I Want Him Back Now' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by emiemi(f): 5:34pm On Apr 07, 2009
What does the rite involve? If it is just a case of parents of the girl knowing the parents of the guy
and he accepting responsibility of taking care of the girl (though now dead but she has left some
offsprings- two for that matter), then it's not such a big deal. This will enable the girl's parent to be
able to trace the grandchildren and inlaws from time to time. The death of their child is an unfortunate
happening but then it could have still happened assuming they were married before she had those
children.
If it involves rituals beyond presenting gifts and paying some money to the girl's parents, then i object
vehemently to it.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by iReport: 5:35pm On Apr 07, 2009
He may do the rites for the sake of his twins.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by tpia: 5:36pm On Apr 07, 2009
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by tpia: 5:38pm On Apr 07, 2009
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Lagosboy: 5:41pm On Apr 07, 2009
Kai this na real craze o Egbami o!!!!

Marry a corpse . . . . . Tufiakwa . . . . . shege! ! ! !
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by DrLorenz1(m): 5:46pm On Apr 07, 2009
@post
from what i read, there are two angles to the whole scenario.

1. The parents of the girl didn't like the guy (perhaps cus of religion or whatever) and didn't really approve of the relationship.

2. They wanted to see if getting pregnant and subsequently having a child or children would make things a little bit better.

So at the end of the day, things didn't go as planned, just as most things in life,

so at all those who say he should marry the corpse, if you were him, would you do it? be sincere. and to those that were asking how long was he gonna wait or why did he wait till after 9 months, number 2 answers your question, i hope.

@reality4us

looks like you're not facing reality here. who said he "abducted" the girl in question, even if u put it on quote? thing is, he actually wanted to marry the girl before the incident. if he didn't, y do you think he actually allowed the girl to get pregnant? of course he wasn't stupid. how was he supposed to know she was gonna die? just pray something like that doesn't happen to you. i would love to see you do it  grin
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by UNLEASHED(m): 5:50pm On Apr 07, 2009
OMG!! This is ridiculous!!
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by solo2859: 5:52pm On Apr 07, 2009
I think we are getting something wrong here. The parents asking him to marry d corpse is RHEOTERICAL. I mean asking d guy to marry d corpse is just out of the pain of loosing a loved one.
Lets try and do d right thing. If u are not ready 4 marriage, pls wait.
Sefini, shikena. O pari
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by amaikama(m): 6:00pm On Apr 07, 2009
@Tpia!!-fine. they could as well find their way there but would the marriage still hold when there is no consent from the gir's parent?? Mind you, Africa is not europe where a girl will elope with a guy to get married without their parents consent as long as their are two or three people present, no problem.

It just unfortunate that in this modern world, we are still in the dark of religous sentiment. cry
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by iyeyemi: 6:02pm On Apr 07, 2009
Great nollywood material
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by DrLorenz1(m): 6:15pm On Apr 07, 2009
iyeyemi:

Great nollywood material

we're talking about reality and u're saying nollywood. y don't you produce the movie? grin
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by tpia: 6:18pm On Apr 07, 2009
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by tpia: 6:19pm On Apr 07, 2009
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by kamalydeen(m): 6:26pm On Apr 07, 2009
this is another super story shocked
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by exotica(m): 6:51pm On Apr 07, 2009
if i may add my own lines to what has already been said so far, i will advice that the guy marries the corpse. it is a common practice in this part of the country. It brings bad luck on the guy if he refuses to marry the corpse. i know of so many of such stories.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by chamotex(m): 6:52pm On Apr 07, 2009
God forbid bad thing! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by saturnjay(m): 7:01pm On Apr 07, 2009
The guy should forget about them, the kids would know their father later in life, Let them do whatever they like with the kids, give them their family name, take them to calabar, one day the kids would hear the story and find their father, crazy people!!!
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 07, 2009
if d guy wants the kids( i would even if i didn't have kobo), letr him be prepared to spend money in utilizig all legal means (including DNA test which i dont think is presently available in 9ja) to claim his children
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by tpia: 7:03pm On Apr 07, 2009
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by saturnjay(m): 7:05pm On Apr 07, 2009
exotica cover r face 4 wat u said, u 've jus spoken lik an illiterate and u should be ashamed of urself, wat bad luck, wat's ur belief about God?
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by dani1luv: 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2009
Jesus Christ of Nairaland shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by jesusfreak(f): 7:14pm On Apr 07, 2009
iReport:

He may do the rites for the sake of his twins.
exotica:

if i may add my own lines to what has already been said so far, i will advice that the guy marries the corpse. it is a common practice in this part of the country. It brings bad luck on the guy if he refuses to marry the corpse. i know of so many of such stories.

@ seun and other people who still carry such barbaric mentality
please wake up! im wondering why this isnt such a big hit wen u compare what d nigerian society makes of the widows who are maltreated in the name of a bloddy culture!
It even saddens me to find that young people who are supposed to champion the cause of change are the very ones draging us back to the stone age!
i love the african culture but we need to separate what makes us priggish and inhuman from the richness  that our africanness represents!
this has nothing to do with the hogwash called karma! did he kill d girl?? why would anything bad happen to him if he refuses to do the ritual?
its so appalling and thanks for forcing me to post on nl again   angry
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Ndipe(m): 7:24pm On Apr 07, 2009
I am all for peace, so tell your friend to bring in elders/his parents from the village, a high powered delegation to intercede on his behalf and claim back his children. He could file a lawsuit in court, but you never know what the grieving parents could do. As the Holy Bible says, "A soft answer turns away wrath." (Proverbs 15:1)
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by joobreel(m): 7:33pm On Apr 07, 2009
God forbid evil. Marry the dead. Oku o kin ba alaye wijo. She is gone and gone she is. he must not commit such a barbaric act. When the twins grow up, they will locate their father. let him put a tab on thw children. Thats all.
Those that can perform the senseless rites, the devil is ur strength.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by bawomolo(m): 7:36pm On Apr 07, 2009
go to court, fathers right. sue for custody from those sick parents.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by hbrednic: 8:08pm On Apr 07, 2009
just do right thing grin grin
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by MadMax1(f): 8:33pm On Apr 07, 2009
To those saying what was he waiting for to marry the lady, the post said the girl's family objected to the union on religious grounds. Now the girl is dead, they don't want to lose the girl and lose the girl's children as well.

Poster, the lady died two weeks ago, so her family's probably still reeling and can't be expected to be reasonable.They'll hold on to anything of the girl's. But those kids aren't theirs; they're the man's. Advise your friend to take things easy and not collect his kids just now. The girl just died na. He should try and be a rock, albeit a rock with an ulterior motive,for the girl's family. No arguing about marriage to a corpse and any other barbaric RUBBISH they may propose.They want him to marry the corpse but wouldn't agree to the marriage when the girl was alive,even when she got pregnant. Make dem go siddon. Be constant at the family house,offering support and taking on responsiblity,acting like a member of the family AND THE FATHER OF YOUR CHILDREN. If they want a bride price and other traditional stuff like yams and salt or whatever their culture wants in exchange for a daughter,give it to them (accompanied by your family). Then take your children. But let the girl's family know they'll have access to them and they're not 'losing' the kids to you.

If they insist on marriage rites with a corpse after your family has paid the bride price and stuff,haul their unreasonable asses to court and collect your kids.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by krama(m): 8:38pm On Apr 07, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by blacksta(m): 9:19pm On Apr 07, 2009
over my dead body. what kind of nonsense is that . once he marries a corpse does that mean he cant marry again or will that be a second wife
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by dominique(f): 9:45pm On Apr 07, 2009
this case strikingly resembles  that of our late mechanic whose teenage daughter got pregnant. the poor girl was badly beaten and maltreated by him and his wife till she went into early labor and passsed on eventually.  the guy, from a well to do home and educated parents performed the wedding rites as if she was still alive and his family was ready to foot any medical bills on the premature kid, but the baby diddnt make it too  sad.  our mech passed on shortly after his wife a couple of years later, prolly guilty consience  undecidedvery shakesparean ending indeed

@topic
the guy should just give the grieving family time. if they're relentless, he should now take his time to evaluate how important these twins are to him. if they are that important, he should just give into their demands (after a lot pf spiritual counselling). i dont think the girl's family are demanding for something as dramatic as putting a ring on the corpse's finger.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Ndipe(m): 9:49pm On Apr 07, 2009
@seun, why am I not getting replies delivered to my email account?
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Nobody: 10:02pm On Apr 07, 2009
I am amazed at most of the ridiculous responses.
If he marries the dead corpse, will it bring her back to life?
Enough of this archaic,barbaric, satanic and foolish traditions.

@Seun and other posters that suggest it's not a big deal
Y'all are an ignorant bunch. Nonsense.
If the man agrees, they'll ask him to sleep in the same room with the corpse for a couple of days.

The solution is simple - Go to court, get a bunch of police officers and claim your kids.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Nashville And I / For Married People: When Was Your First Ever Quarrel? / How To Control BED BUG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.