Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,683 members, 7,837,520 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl (8146 Views)

5 Interesting Reasons Why You Should Marry A Typical Nigerian Woman. / What Kind Of Woman Would You Love To Marry- Choose (picture) / ' I Sold My Child For N4M And I Want Him Back Now' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by DoubleN(m): 10:05pm On Apr 07, 2009
na wa o!In the twenty first century.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Baro(m): 10:35pm On Apr 07, 2009
reality4us :

It is a normal practise in many places. I know that if you have been living with a woman no matter how long and have children with her, if she dies you must come to pay for her bride price before ever attempting to bury her. By so doing it is now accepted that she was your wife and not a concubine.

I concur!

Tradition should never be undermined, so long it's not barbaric
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by keyremotes(m): 10:37pm On Apr 07, 2009
I beg people who cannot make a comment without abusing others to stop it.
It is a VERY BIG WEAKNESS.

This issue is not a new thing.

Whatever we say here WILL not change anything. THAT IS THE SIMPLE TRUTH. Hard as it is.

People from that part of the country have that as their culture.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by brutal(m): 11:10pm On Apr 07, 2009
yeye culture.they r living in darkness and will never see light.go to court and if u don't win d case,kidnapp d child and runaway. cry
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by factbox(f): 11:12pm On Apr 07, 2009
angry angry angry angry   not funny at all,their claim of being a xtian is just a carmouflag to me because it is not even biblical to perform such rites. in this 21st century such a terrible and barbaric traditon should have been scrapped with the advent of both xristianity and islam.now this is the reason why our youths should always open their brain and make use of their various number six b4 deciding on even relationship ,since you  wouldn't want  to compromise your religions. so aspiring husband and wife to be i hereby advise you to open your eyes wide and get your facts right,gbaaaaaaaaam
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by donjon: 11:15pm On Apr 07, 2009
For d sake of the children!
He should leave them with the grandparents, because a stepmum will ruin their lives!
Or else he is prepared to remain single 4 d rest of his life
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by donjon: 11:16pm On Apr 07, 2009
For d sake of the children!
He should leave them with the grandparents, because a stepmum will ruin their lives!
Or else he is prepared to remain single 4 d rest of his life
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by landwin: 11:41pm On Apr 07, 2009
Liar Liar pants on fire grin
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by larez(m): 11:42pm On Apr 07, 2009
Then they turn-around and claim that they are good christians. Such hypocrites abound all over Nigeria.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Nobody: 11:54pm On Apr 07, 2009
larez:

Then they turn-around and claim that they are good christians. Such hypocrites abound all over Nigeria.

How does this turn into a religion affair?
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by larez(m): 12:08am On Apr 08, 2009
*Toyinrayo:

How does this turn into a religion affair?

Pls refer to the original topic.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Nobody: 12:15am On Apr 08, 2009
larez:

Pls refer to the original topic.
dnt ask me to do what you did not do.

Again, I bid you, how does this interfere with one's religion?

Where in the bible does it say " You must marry my dead daughter before asking for your child?"
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by topup: 12:58am On Apr 08, 2009
Now, that is something.

I don't understand what good it will do for the children not to have a mother, and if the story ever unravels, it'll become obvious that the man was co-erced into marrying the corpse, wait!! Is that even possible?? Traditionally, maybe but not legally.

I wonder what the poor girl would have wanted for her children.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:07am On Apr 08, 2009
The guy should go and pay the dowry period.

OR he can easily dismiss the babies forever. Like they should be making any ultimatums.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Hauwa1: 1:35am On Apr 08, 2009
oh goodness, wahala. well, do the right thing for ya little babies.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by biina: 3:12am On Apr 08, 2009
We don't know the details of what has been requested of the guy.

In some cultures, the marriage process is seen as evidence of his commitment on the part of the groom. They get to meet his family, who come bearing gifts as a sign of goodwill, support for the marriage, and the ability to meet the needs of the bride. It doesn't have to involve any displeasing acts like sleeping with the corpse (which has probably decayed). Particularly in my neck of the woods, a traditional marriage is between the two families, and not restricted to just the couple. The girl's family asking him to follow through on his intentions are not as bad as it sounds.

People that expect the girl's parents to simply surrender their grandchildren, who are likely all they have left in memory of their late daughter, are being inconsiderate of the parents position.

The likelihood of the guy getting custody in a court of law is very slim, given that he was not legally married to their mother, he is single, and will likely find it difficult to prove that he can take better care of the kids than the grandparents.

If the request is just for the simple exchange of gifts and interaction between the two families, then the guy should do it.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by SeanT21(f): 3:14am On Apr 08, 2009
Speechless!! lipsrsealed

He needs to take his case to Child Services.

This is a crazy world!!
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by tpia: 3:18am On Apr 08, 2009
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Hotstepper(f): 3:45am On Apr 08, 2009
story,
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Precious007(m): 8:47am On Apr 08, 2009
All of u are just talking rubbish,stupid and bastard idiot if its ur sister wat will u do? Which stupid court will handle dis case. Let it happen 2 ur own family and u see how painful it may be. I know its all of u dat have turn lagos to ur verious vellages dat are posting dis nonsense.because u guys dont custom and tradition u now want to disregard other ppls own. If u guys dont know tradition u keep shut and stop messing around. Any one dat is against dat family's decision is a fool and any one wit court opinion is a nonentity.if he connot pay d price, he forget d twains dats all.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Nobody: 9:04am On Apr 08, 2009
@poster, i cld barely understood ya post.
Why not use Adam's English for better understandin. cool
*no pokin fingers intended*
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by Kx: 9:33am On Apr 08, 2009
The comments i ve seen so far reads "its barbaric,go to court,what non-sense,tufiakwa,shege,and they claim they are christians" etc.

Have we forgotten d girl in question is somebody's child?
Even if the parents of the girl soft pedal on their stance,do u think the umunas and d entire community will let go of their culture and tradition?

When d parents of the girl objected to dia marriage,could nt d couple have found a soft landing,resovle d issues instead of trying
to bambozzle d old people into accepting dia marriage by getting pregnant and raising kids?

This things happen daily yet guys still cohabit with babes for years without proper marriage.

"What a man sow,that he shall reap"
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by confetti(f): 10:31am On Apr 08, 2009
Its customary that if the man wants those children as his own, he should pay the bride price which confers to him right of ownership of those children.

No court will give him any right over those children so long as he was not legally married to the woman whether by custom or by law.

The bride price he is paying is not for the dead corpse but for his chidren. If he doesnt do that, he has no right over those kids becuase no matter how long it takes any body can sue him to court and ask for the marriage certificate that gives him legal right of ownership whetter the marriage was customary or by court of law.

there is nothing bizzare about this.
Please if he is responsible enough that he wants his children live under his roof and knows he will cater for them, let him pay the bride price and take his kids.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by cutieisme(m): 10:41am On Apr 08, 2009
dem smoke gum??
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by LadyangeA(f): 10:42am On Apr 08, 2009
this sounds strange perform marriage rites on a corpse!!!!!!! wanders shall never end
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by aduje(m): 10:54am On Apr 08, 2009
@poster,
your friend jumped the gun by impregnating the girl before marriage. It is a lesson for most of us (young people) but that not withstanding, the girls parents are still operating from the 17th century mentality. Ask him to arrange a negotiation meeting with his family and that of the late lady's. If they still insist, he should charge them to court not only to have right to the kids, but to help teach people of the need to adjust to the current age social norms. NONE-SENSE!
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by ernal(m): 11:05am On Apr 08, 2009
grin grin grin

My advise make sure its a Pre Nuptial Agreement - Pre marriage wedding agreement.

Any advise u take aside this ,u do so at your own risk.

Even the devil wears Pre Nup!
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by izeek(m): 11:07am On Apr 08, 2009
first for those who are asking the guy to seek the help of the police,
its a no no cos its a domestic issue and they wont interfere.

two i don't think its wise for him to undertake such a venture,
these kids are his no matter how long his denied the right. someday they will grow up and ask for their father.

and the minute he performs that right, it wud affect his getting married later on cos he i supposed to now be a widower which isnt true in this case.
i think its high time parents minded their business and allowed their kids make mistakes and learn from them .
if they don't make them now, they might make them later when its too late.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by NeroPapas(m): 11:22am On Apr 08, 2009
That's where Christianity is better because it preaches abstainence till marriage. Now He's being asked to marry a dead lady, Well to me he has 2 options:

1. Perform the rite for the sake of the babies.

2. Ignore the family and their tradition.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by denony(m): 11:30am On Apr 08, 2009
Nothing good comes so easily

what do you expect the parents to do?
dash out the kids and shut their mouth up?
It's not done that way, since u've not properly married the girl.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by otukpo(f): 11:57am On Apr 08, 2009
This is no strange story, it happens and it keeps happening in that part of Nigeria because it is their tradition and custom.
People have been experiencing this so the OP's friend is not the first to see this.

However, i want to say that the courts or police cannot help the twins father in this case. He has to settle it with the girls family. I think what he shld just do is to give the girl's family sometime to get over their grief. Meanwhile, he must make sure he sponsors and participates fully in the burial of the girl. Send adequate support for the twins upkeep. try to get close to the girls family as he visits and takes care of the twins. Then later, he can begin discussion as per how he can take his children.

The guy shld just try to be nice to the girl's family, if possible force them to like u and begin to sympathise with u. It is a barbaric tradition and i pray with time, its going to be abolished.
Re: They Want Him To Marry A Dead Girl by larez(m): 12:12pm On Apr 08, 2009
This is utter madness and people need to learn to grieve properly without making asses out of themselves. This same Family asking a man to marry a dead body will then turn around and claim to be good Christians. Shame on them. As for the people who think it's normal, you need to take your butts out of Lagos and go back to your villages to do that nonsense. You are the ones holding back Nigeria's growth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Nashville And I / For Married People: When Was Your First Ever Quarrel? / How To Control BED BUG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.