Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% (1832 Views)

External Reserves Drop For First Time Since December / Foreign Reserves Rise To $30.5B As CBN Targets $40B Before Year End / External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by silami(m): 3:24am On Sep 15, 2015
Global economy on edge as US Fed weighs rate hike
Obinna Chima in Lagos and James Emejo in Abuja with agency report
Nigeria continued to reel from the impact of the decision by US investment bank JP Morgan & Chase to phase out Nigerian bonds from its indexes, as the country’s external reserves fell to $30.794 billion.

The value of the country’s reserves obtained from the CBN website monday represented a $425 million or 1.6 per cent drop, compared with $31.219 billion as at September 1.

THISDAY checks showed that the reserves, which are made up mainly of receipts from crude oil earnings, fell when JP Morgan made its announcement.

The fall reflected the exit of foreign portfolio holders of Nigerian government bonds and CBN’s resolve to meet their demand.

Since July 4, Nigeria’s foreign reserves have inched up from $30.845 billion to $31.460 billion on July 31, they continued to climb to $31.537 billion on August 7, rose to $31.632 billion on August 14, then fell to $31.510 billion on August 14.

On August 21, they fell again to $31.398 billion, dropped for the third successive week to $31.219 billion, before declining to $30.794 billion on September 11.

The fall in foreign reserves occurred just as the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) released its report on the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for the month of August, showing that inflation rose to 9.3 per cent in August compared to 9.2 per cent in the previous month.
It attributed the 1.09 per cent uptick to slower increases in alcoholic beverages, tobacco and kola; health, transport; and recreation and culture divisions.

The sub-core index also increased by nine per cent up by 0.2 per cent from the rate recorded in July while month-on-month, the index increased at the same rate for two consecutive months at 0.6 per cent, the NBS stated.

The largest increases were recorded in kerosene as a result of tight market conditions as well as in the solid fuels group which include charcoal and firewood used as substitutes for liquid fuels.
It said other notable increases were in books and stationery as a result of the start of the new school year and catering services.

According to the NBS, the food sub-index rose by 10.1 per cent (year-on-year) in August, slightly higher from 10 per cent in July.
Increases were observed in major groups within the index consisting bread and cereals, meats and fish. The index was weighted upon by a slower increase in the fruit, vegetables, and potatoes, yams and other tubers groups, it said.

According to the statistical agency, of the items which contributed to the core sub-index, housing water, electricity, gas and other fuels; education, restaurants and hotels; and miscellaneous goods and services divisions, recorded the largest pressure while the pace of increases slowed in the health, transportation, recreation and culture divisions.

NBS added that the average price paid monthly by Nigerian households for a litre of petrol across the country increased to N109.91/litre in August compared to N107.40/litre in July. It was recorded at N112.13 in June and N118.36 in May.
The official pump price of petrol is N87 and figures provided showed that on the monthly average, Nigerians continued to purchase petrol above the official rate in August.

According to the Petrol Price Watch for last month, Bayelsa State, which ironically is an oil producing state, recorded the highest average monthly price of N132.43 compared to N153 the previous month.

Yobe State recorded the second highest monthly average of N119.63, from N120.50 in July, followed by Kogi with N114.33 in the month in review.

The lowest monthly average price for petrol bought by households in August was recorded in Oyo State at N88.13 from N99.16 in the previous month.

The state was followed by Kano, which recorded N92.57 in the period under review compared to N91.50 in the previous month.
Abuja and Lagos recorded N94.60 and N96.50 respectively in August.

Others were Abia - N110.25; Adamawa - N105.17; Akwa Ibom - N106; Anambra - N102.62; Bauchi - N109.86; Benue - N113; Borno - N107.50; Cross River - N97.32; and Delta -N96.63.

In Ebony, petrol averaged at N106.43 per litre in August; Edo - N97.88; Ekiti - N107.44; Enugu - N112.73; Gombe - N98.33; Imo - N110.93; Jigawa - N106.50; Kaduna - N97; Katsina - N96.64; Kebbi - N105.21; and Kwara - N98.80.

But as Nigeria contends with depressing key data, economic policy maker’s in Africa’s largest economy may also have to grapple with the possibility that that the US Federal Reserve might raise interest rates for the first time in over nine years this week, effectively injecting new levels of anxiety in the global economy.

With markets still in turmoil from China’s economic downturn and sensitive to any added uncertainty, calls from economists for the Fed to hold off are being countered by pushes from emerging economy officials to get the long-awaited move over and done with, reported the Economic Times of India.

The fierce debate underscores the complexity of the challenge facing US central bankers when they meet tomorrow and Thursday.
The issue is whether to pull the benchmark federal funds rate up from zero percent, where it has been frozen since the financial crisis of 2008.

The Fed itself is anxious to get off that extraordinarily low level, and US economic growth is strong enough to handle a quarter-point rate increase, a number of Fed officials have suggested.

But the turmoil in global financial markets for the past month has not eased, and there is still much to be known about how China's problems will affect the rest of the world.

A Fed rate increase threatens to raise the borrowing costs of many governments and companies, including for holders of Nigerian issued Eurobonds -- though analysts point out that that has already happened in anticipation.

A rate hike could also lead to a further exit of foreign portfolio investors from the Nigerian economy already faltering from falling oil prices and the decision by JP Morgan to phase out Nigerian bonds from its indexes.

Both the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, worried about slowing global growth, have suggested the Fed can stand pat.
But others say it is time to pull away from seven years of extremely easy-money policies.
“We are at historically low rates right now, we've got to have a return to normal,” argued Robert Morgan of the American Bankers Association.

For months the policy-setting Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) under Fed Chair Janet Yellen has been eyeing the September 16-17 meeting for a rate increase.
The move would signal the Fed is ready to “normalise” monetary policy with a slow series of increases over the coming two years.

FOMC members base their decisions primarily on the jobs market and inflation. The former has been strong, the unemployment rate falling to 5.1 per cent in August, the lowest since April 2008.

Inflation, which the Fed wants to see climb to around 2 per cent as a sign of steady economic growth, has sagged.

The main reason has been the drop in the prices of oil and other commodities, rather than weak US growth. But the slowdown in China and other emerging economies, and the strong dollar, continue to pull prices lower.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/external-reserves-fall-to-30-794bn-inflation-inches-to-9-3-/220284/
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Taiden: 3:26am On Sep 15, 2015
Issokay.
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by ademega(m): 3:27am On Sep 15, 2015
in the fullness of time all will fall in place
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by gunpoint(m): 3:31am On Sep 15, 2015
When i saw inches and 9.3, my mind went in a totally different direction lipsrsealed
I am sorry, obviously in the wrong section
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Gombs(m): 3:31am On Sep 15, 2015
... And they said we should not wail!

Charles Soludo will not come and start writing letters o, Pat Utomi hasn't seen this news... I wonder what Bubu was thinking when he took Rochas, Osho, lola, et al to meet obama.

JP Morgan must have thought we're one huge joke, Rochas came with a picture of his handshake with Obama, Osho was glaringly smiling around with lola, that one would have thought it was a close up advert session, he was so busy looking for photoshoots with lola, that he imagined the US gave Lord Bubu a list of corrupt folks.

Yet, demdem, who knows very very little or nothing about economics or planning, thinks JP Morgan is a joke.

My Friend said, once you join the broom waving brigade, you start loosing it, in a diabolical way. I believe him now.

Who's been to Osun lately?... Let me not derail sha

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by luvinhubby(m): 3:36am On Sep 15, 2015
This is not good at all for Nigeria.
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by menix(m): 3:58am On Sep 15, 2015
This our economy jst dey fall like rain, hope it won't get to flood us.

Thought Buhari's body language has fixed the economy, ow come this news.

ademega:
in the fullness of time all will fall in place

Fallen Angels
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by silami(m): 4:00am On Sep 15, 2015
gunpoint:
When i saw inches and 9.3, my mind went in a totally different direction lipsrsealed
lol dirty mind...I feel you
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Image123(m): 4:04am On Sep 15, 2015
Food index increased ke? So my people are eating more under Buhari, hehehehehehehehe. Sai Bubu Baba.

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Rawani: 4:19am On Sep 15, 2015
This was after the foreign reserves increased from $28.5b on May 29 to $31.5b under President Buhari. It's a natural reaction to our delisting by JP Morgan and the appointment of an economic team in a few days will stem the tide.

5 Likes

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by M4gunners: 4:22am On Sep 15, 2015
Hahaha una never see anything yet. Make una enter bush go cut brooms and sweep out the so called clueless again. Change abi ? We go suffer am together.

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by saintopus(m): 4:24am On Sep 15, 2015
This is good news in disguise. Nigeria have to look inward. The issue of not unbundling the NNPC and not deregulating the downstream oil sector will continue to have a negative toll on the country until the government do something about it. For now let us believe at the 'fullness of time things will change'.
This present administration in a bid to become very ' clean' will end up becoming the worst government in the history of the country.
Some people will tag me wailer. Which I did not consider it a bad way of tagging someone.
The truth is that the direction things are going is not leading the country to the promised change.

3 Likes

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Demdem(m): 4:32am On Sep 15, 2015
Rawani:
This was after the foreign reserves increased from $28.5b on May 29 to $31.5b under President Buhari. It's a natural reaction to our delisting by JP Morgan and the appointment of an economic team in a few days will stem the tide.

JP Morgan can go ffuck themselves. The cons of listening to them and doing what they want outweighs the pros. I expect more stability as soon as the cabinet is constituted.

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by BekeeBuAgbara: 4:32am On Sep 15, 2015
Nigeria foreign reserve $30.7 billion sad, China foreign reserve $3.5 trillion.
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Demdem(m): 4:35am On Sep 15, 2015
BekeeBuAgbara:
Nigeria foreign reserve $30.7 billion sad, China foreign reserve $3.5 trillion.

Are u trying to do what I think u are doing? Comparing Nigeria to China?
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by ORACLE1975(m): 5:40am On Sep 15, 2015
hmmmmm
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by lincolnj88: 6:41am On Sep 15, 2015
looking at buhari, u know he does and will never know anything concerning economics,
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Image123(m): 7:13am On Sep 15, 2015
M4gunners:
Hahaha una never see anything yet. Make una enter bush go cut brooms and sweep out the so called clueless again. Change abi ? We go suffer am together.

It will probably be like $25billion now had the previous administration continued. Cover your nose for a while as Buhari sweeps away all the past rubbish.
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Image123(m): 7:19am On Sep 15, 2015
lincolnj88:
looking at buhari, u know he does and will never know anything concerning economics,

His body language is doing better than the Harvard economist presently. That one and the PhD oga were having headache paying staff salaries, and were mainly mute and less concerned about 27states unpaid salaries and the security of the North East.
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by jimi4us: 7:38am On Sep 15, 2015
Less than 120 days . dis country is under arrest. It has to be broken asap.

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 15, 2015
Image123:

His body language is doing better than the Harvard economist presently. That one and the PhD oga were having headache paying staff salaries, and were mainly mute and less concerned about 27states unpaid salaries and the security of the North East.

who should be blamed wen a governor does not pay his workers salary?

1 Like

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Whynotthetruth(m): 7:55am On Sep 15, 2015
It seems 4play's forecast is coming earlier than I thought undecided And we have no economic team to formulate fiscal policies to assist monetary policies of CBN ...
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Flets: 7:57am On Sep 15, 2015
APC's change and its inherent noise
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by erunz(m): 7:59am On Sep 15, 2015
MAKE I CHILL HERE
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by disloman(m): 8:00am On Sep 15, 2015
gunpoint:
Hmmm.I hope u have such sha.What a thot.
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by disloman(m): 8:04am On Sep 15, 2015
Rawani:
But d wailing wailer won't understand that.They are so myopic in nature.While we were in d JP morgan,What was our gain?JP morgan!We won't devalue our naira to satisfy u goats.We will bounce back.I'm 200% sure of that.

2 Likes

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by disloman(m): 8:06am On Sep 15, 2015
Gombs:
... And they said we should not wail!

Keep wailing.Anybody that tell u to stop wailing,no go better 4 that person n when u finally witness d goodness we voted 4,make I tell curse u.
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Gombs(m): 8:13am On Sep 15, 2015
disloman:
Keep wailing.Anybody that tell u to stop wailing,no go better 4 that person n when u finally witness d goodness we voted 4,make I tell curse u.

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Gombs(m): 8:18am On Sep 15, 2015
Demdem:

JP Morgan can go ffuck themselves. The cons of listening to them and doing what they want outweighs the pros. I expect more stability as soon as the cabinet is constituted.

Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by Sealeddeal(m): 8:19am On Sep 15, 2015
Buhari's body odour. This regime is a wreck on Nigeria ship of success.
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by sdindan: 8:59am On Sep 15, 2015
And NIZOORIA presidiot is on honeymoon
In pariiiiiiis.
No economic policies.
Re: External Reserves Fall To $30.794bn, Inflation Inches To 9.3% by gunpoint(m): 9:12am On Sep 15, 2015
disloman:
Hmmm.I hope u have such sha.What a thot.
Ewwww...
Why is my fellow man asking?
I don't swing that way plix

(1) (2) (Reply)

Double Face Of APC / Where Was This Biafra Craze When Jonathan Was President? / Bayelsa Poll: Soldiers Arrest Ballot Box-snatching Suspects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.