Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,441 members, 7,823,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists (35075 Views)

EFCC Forced Me To Pay N40m For My Release – Detained Air Force Chief / Saraki Seeks To Stall Trial Again, Asks Judge To Disqualify Self / How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by lalasticlala(m): 8:50pm On Sep 15, 2015
An Ogun State High Court Judge, N.I Agbelu, on Tuesday ordered the arrest of seven journalists, claiming the court was not a public place for them to videotape.

The judge ordered the arrest of Daud Olatunji(Vanguard), Samuel Awoyinfa(The Punch), Ernest Nwokolo(The Nation), Abiodun Taiwo(Daily Times) , Sulaiman Fasasi(Nigerian Pilot), Wale Adelaja(TVC) and Johnson Akinpelu(Alaroye).

The reporters had arrived the High Court in Otta to cover a murder case involving an alleged land speculator, Mutairu Owoye.

Mr. Owoye was arraigned over the death of 19-year-old man, Bidemi Akinde, during a land dispute at Oke-Ore community in Ado-Odo/Ota local government area of the state.

On arrival, the journalists were accosted by a police orderly who allowed them in after confirming their mission.

Minutes later, the assistant court registrar demanded to know the reporters’ mission and asked for a permit issued by the chief judge or a senior judiciary officer permitting them access to the court premises.

After explanations to her, the registrar left, but returned shortly after with an arrest order from the judge.

The journalists were detained for three hours (from 11:45am to 2:44am), inside the administrative wing of the court.

“I put you under arrest. You are under arrest,” the judge barked. “You will discover that this compound is fenced round, is that not so? It is not on the major road that you can just come in. If you are representing the public interest, you must know we have a head in this Court.

“I am a judge, I have an unlimited jurisdiction in the state. I can even say somebody should be arrested without question, but, in exercising my power, I have to inquire into many things,” the judge declared while ordering detention of the newsmen.

“You cannot say because you are representing public interest, you cannot just burst into any compound or burst into my house. You have a right as a journalist, but, where your own stops my own starts. And If I am the owner of a house, I have a right to my privacy, fundamental right to privacy, because I want to educate you. If you want to infringe on my right that is where your own right stops which I am entitled to,” the man said.

“What I am saying is that judiciary has its own right too. You are infringing on our own right too. You don’t know?

“A report came to me that some people invaded the court claiming that they are journalists filming the whole place.

“It is not a local market and it is not an open market, you are approaching the court. If you are interested in a particular matter in a company, will you just burst into the company, saying you are journalists? You don’t just go into a place and start filming and them saying you are a journalist. If we said you are trespassing into our land, do you have any defence? Answer me now? I am telling you it is not a public place; I am telling you the court is not a public place,” the judge emphasized.

However, an unexpected relief came for the detained journalists, when one of the court’s staffers was bitten by a snake which emerged from the court’s premises, throwing the court into pandemonium.

Following the confusion, the judge sent away the journalists as officials rushed the injured staff to the state hospital at Otta.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/190143-how-mysterious-snake-forced-ogun-judge-to-release-detained-journalists.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by OZAOEKPE(f): 8:50pm On Sep 15, 2015
"click like if you feel the 'afonjas' were used and dumped by their 'masters'". Quote me anywhere.

12 Likes

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 15, 2015
grin

- 2nd to last paragraph sef
- journalists self
- judiciary sef
- mysterious snake sef
- Jonathan sef grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by XavierBlue(m): 8:57pm On Sep 15, 2015
this dosent look like co-incidence though. Serves him right.

But are you kidding me? That no nairalander experience the scenario?

It however pathetic and heart breaking. Atleast the fellow would have bravely murdered the reptile, shocked took "mouth-watering" shots, and with a gladen heart, upload them here for our pleasure. trust me, the promise land would have been it destined destination.wink

Don't mis-quote me here, am ain't advocating the killing of the animals. But we all know the joy that comes when one is killed.
For a nairalander; joy of making FPgrin, and of course a mouth watering dish of the reptile spiced up with pepper soup. cheesy

The fellow below said the snake was called upon, is he indirectly saying that our journalists are herbalist?

XavierBlue

3 Likes

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Nobody: 8:59pm On Sep 15, 2015
Ok
Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by ObiOkpor(m): 9:00pm On Sep 15, 2015
The snake was called upon....
Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by vicadex07(m): 9:01pm On Sep 15, 2015
Why Is The Alaba Fight News Only On
Nairaland?

I have searched twitter, tried google, linda ikeji, sahara reporters all to avail. It seems the only source of the unconfirmed news about Agberos fighting the Igbos in Alaba market is from Nairaland.

If that is so, then I can verify-ably confirm that the Biafran War II, is going to be solely fought here on Nairaland by our most deadly keyboard warriors...

grin

ibo kwenu...cowardice has been given a new
definition

grin

7 Likes

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by MilesLamar(m): 9:03pm On Sep 15, 2015
Only for yoloba land

2 Likes

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Richie0974: 9:03pm On Sep 15, 2015
Lol
Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Berrylite: 9:03pm On Sep 15, 2015
Snake in the monkey shadow shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Rounakid(m): 9:03pm On Sep 15, 2015
Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by lifezone247(m): 9:03pm On Sep 15, 2015
Snakes everywhere on NL, it's indeed a season of snake
Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Babangida70(m): 9:03pm On Sep 15, 2015
So far say na snake thread, it must hit FP on Nairaland grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by bigv(m): 9:05pm On Sep 15, 2015
Lol. Naija we hail thee!
Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by kennyman2000(m): 9:05pm On Sep 15, 2015
Hmmmm..
Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Iamsolslim(m): 9:06pm On Sep 15, 2015
yoruba & juju, daura & cow

5 Likes

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Armaggedon: 9:08pm On Sep 15, 2015
Yoloba can be diabolic

9 Likes

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by tociano009(m): 9:08pm On Sep 15, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
"click like if you feel the 'afonjas' were used and dumped by their 'masters'". Quote me anywhere.
mad men everywhere

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by jenyna: 9:09pm On Sep 15, 2015
Lalolo
Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by tola9ja: 9:09pm On Sep 15, 2015
OK
Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by liricyst(m): 9:09pm On Sep 15, 2015
The words of the judge is an insight into what is wrong with this nation. Very power drunk.

5 Likes

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 15, 2015
shocked shocked shocked

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by AdeniyiA(m): 9:10pm On Sep 15, 2015
A judge detains, another 'judge' releases, judge pass judge oo cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by worlexy(m): 9:10pm On Sep 15, 2015
sounds like a scene in a Nollywood movie

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by tola9ja: 9:10pm On Sep 15, 2015
lifezone247:
Snakes everywhere on NL, it's indeed a season of snake

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by ebubey(f): 9:10pm On Sep 15, 2015
hmm lalasticlala jus few comments and bam! ur thread is on front page.... bt evn with more a hundred comments you still don't put some threads on front page... dias God o... #churchmind# sad

1 Like

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by vicadex07(m): 9:11pm On Sep 15, 2015
I heard that Igbos were fighting Agberos in Alaba today...has anybody confirmed the veracity of such report or is it just one of those Igbotic tantrums usually displayed on the internet by the easterners to justify their recent agitation for Biafra?

I trust them to only limit their madness to Nairaland grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Lekcy001(m): 9:11pm On Sep 15, 2015
Igbo = drug nd 419

1 Like

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by Lekcy001(m): 9:12pm On Sep 15, 2015
Iamsolslim:
yoruba & juju, daura & cow
Igbo = drug and 419

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Mysterious Snake Forced Ogun Judge To Release Detained Journalists by MrkenOkonkwo(m): 9:18pm On Sep 15, 2015
why is my people so cunny? why do we run in droves to Yoruba land for survival? why are slaves to the Yoruba's?

(1) (2) (Reply)

APGA Writes Nnamdi Kanu, Warns IPOB Leader Not To Think Himself Igbo “EMPEROR” / 6 Critical Reasons Why Northern Nigeria Remains The Poorest - Sen. Shehu Sani / Osinbajo Inspects Rigasa Train Station In Kaduna With El-rufai & Amaechi(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.