Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,098 members, 7,821,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission (170502 Views)

How To Get Nigerian Birth Certificate From National Population Commission? / Nigerian Birth Certificate Needed From The National Population Commission / National Population Commission (NPC) Birth/ Attestation Certificate Enquiries.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 7:33pm On Feb 03, 2013
I'll try this again:

Yes, it seems like a ridiculous amount of time we have spent trying to sort this out but that's the way it's been! We maybe close to a resolution if forum members provide me with some experiential feedback.

1. I now do not have easy access to family in Lagos who can help with swearing to an age affidavit on my behalf and understand that I cannot do this myself.
2. My husband and I agree that it is pointless us travelling all that way if we are unable to complete this process on our own.
3. I have a good friend in Lagos who can swear to this age affidavit on my behalf as well as obtain the NPC Attestation of Birth which will save us to trip to Lagos. She is younger than I am though - DOES THIS MEAN THAT SHE IS INELIGIBLE?

Can anyone who has obtained their NPC Attestation of Birth by proxy confirm if a YOUNGER friend can LEGALLY assist with this?

THANK YOU!!!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 11:39pm On Feb 04, 2013
Bump bump.

Still hanging on for answers. No doubt someone helpful will come along.

Thanks again!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 5:56pm On Feb 05, 2013
Not giving up...
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by ladydada(f): 1:23pm On Feb 06, 2013
I'm surprised you haven't sorted this out after more than 2 years
But I understand how that is possible since there is no website, information centre or anything that makes things clear
You have to rely on bits of information people give you, which is constantly changing
As you may well know Nigeria is a mad place where you can make anything happen if you have the money
With me, I had lost my original birth certificate and when I recently went to Nigeria, I went to the local govt office
They pointed us to the right office to speak to 'Iya Birth' (that's really what they call her haha)
My brother did all the talking for me - he just said we want a long format BC (Birth Certificate)
I didn't say a word because once they hear my accent in Nigeria, the price of everything triples
She told him there were 3 types and brought out examples
The standard small certificate - less than half an A4 (Hospitals tend to give out this type)
A regular certificate - Half of A4 (This is the type I had lost)
A long certificate - Longer than A4 (This has yours and your parents details)
She didn't even ask for ID or anything - just told us to write down all the information we want to go on the BC
She was trying to figure out how much she could squeeze out of us and was saying 'Is it for Embassy? Are you traveling?'
But we simply avoided the chit chat and said we want the long one
She said it will be N7,000, and that it would be ready in a week
No receipt, nothing - but when we came to pick it up it was ready as promised
It is acceptable anywhere - I presented this BC in the registry when I got married abroad
I also used it in getting a new passport with my new name
So it's more than valid anywhere - worldwide
I thought that fee was extortionate btw so you should be able to get a better deal
Whether I was present or not, the BC would have been just as easily obtainable, so please just try to sort this thing out.

Best of luck smiley

1 Like

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 1:17am On Feb 07, 2013
ladydada: I'm surprised you haven't sorted this out after more than 2 years
But I understand how that is possible since there is no website, information centre or anything that makes things clear
You have to rely on bits of information people give you, which is constantly changing
As you may well know Nigeria is a mad place where you can make anything happen if you have the money
With me, I had lost my original birth certificate and when I recently went to Nigeria, I went to the local govt office
They pointed us to the right office to speak to 'Iya Birth' (that's really what they call her haha)
My brother did all the talking for me - he just said we want a long format BC (Birth Certificate)
I didn't say a word because once they hear my accent in Nigeria, the price of everything triples
She told him there were 3 types and brought out examples
The standard small certificate - less than half an A4 (Hospitals tend to give out this type)
A regular certificate - Half of A4 (This is the type I had lost)
A long certificate - Longer than A4 (This has yours and your parents details)
She didn't even ask for ID or anything - just told us to write down all the information we want to go on the BC
She was trying to figure out how much she could squeeze out of us and was saying 'Is it for Embassy? Are you traveling?'
But we simply avoided the chit chat and said we want the long one
She said it will be N7,000, and that it would be ready in a week
No receipt, nothing - but when we came to pick it up it was ready as promised
It is acceptable anywhere - I presented this BC in the registry when I got married abroad
I also used it in getting a new passport with my new name
So it's more than valid anywhere - worldwide
I thought that fee was extortionate btw so you should be able to get a better deal
Whether I was present or not, the BC would have been just as easily obtainable, so please just try to sort this thing out.

Best of luck smiley
Thanks Ladydada, I appreciate your input.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 4:53pm On Feb 07, 2013
Bump, bump...
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by monsieursam64(m): 7:32am On Feb 09, 2013
I did my BC last week @ NPC, and d process involved is just so easy. Anyone can do it for you irrespective of d age btw u and that person. I spent roughly #4000 to get mine, and it took just 2 days for it to be ready. I see no reason u should travel with ur hubby down to naija just for a BC.
All u have to do is to give that friend of yours all d necessary information she will need to go abt d whole processing. Info such as;
1. Your full name.
2. Date of birth
3. Father's fullname, name of village and LG of origin, this also applies to mother.
4. Place of birth.
So, firstly she should go to high court and swear affidavit of age declaration(this cost me #500 cos it was for embassy purpose while getting d affidavit typed by typist around d court is btw #150 & #200, bt i spent #300 cos d first one i did was nt d right format).
All he/she has to do is to sign in place of your father and nobody cares abt who signs. But she has to be very careful of those agents around d court cos she doesnt need them in d processing. This is my one cent to contribute.
I hope it helps.

1 Like

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 10:17am On Feb 09, 2013
monsieursam64: I did my BC last week @ NPC, and d process involved is just so easy. Anyone can do it for you irrespective of d age btw u and that person. I spent roughly #4000 to get mine, and it took just 2 days for it to be ready. I see no reason u should travel with ur hubby down to naija just for a BC.
All u have to do is to give that friend of yours all d necessary information she will need to go abt d whole processing. Info such as;
1. Your full name.
2. Date of birth
3. Father's fullname, name of village and LG of origin, this also applies to mother.
4. Place of birth.
So, firstly she should go to high court and swear affidavit of age declaration(this cost me #500 cos it was for embassy purpose while getting d affidavit typed by typist around d court is btw #150 & #200, bt i spent #300 cos d first one i did was nt d right format).
All he/she has to do is to sign in place of your father and nobody cares abt who signs. But she has to be very careful of those agents around d court cos she doesnt need them in d processing. This is my one cent to contribute.
I hope it helps.
Thanks for taking the time to post some useful information monsieur.

Can I ask:
Does the age affidavit AND the NPC document have to contain all of the above details?

Also, will I have to write a letter (addressed to the high court and the NPC) authorising my friend to act on my behalf?

I understand that i'd need to provide copies of my Nigerian passport biodata page and four passport pictures. Should I also send copies of my UK residence permit to prove that I am resident abroad hence why a proxy is acting on my behalf?

Lastly, as I bear my husband's surname would you know if I also need to send my previous passport in my maiden name? Also does the format of my name on the affidavit and NPC doc. need to be like: Tuela Neila Jones (Nee Smith)?

Thanks, thanks and thanks!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 7:48pm On Feb 09, 2013
Bump!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by monsieursam64(m): 9:50pm On Feb 09, 2013
Plum70:

Can I ask:
Does the age affidavit AND the NPC document have to contain all of the above details?

Also, will I have to write a letter (addressed to the high court and the NPC) authorising my friend to act on my behalf?

I understand that i'd need to provide copies of my Nigerian passport biodata page and four passport pictures. Should I also send copies of my UK residence permit to prove that I am resident abroad hence why a proxy is acting on my behalf?

Lastly, as I bear my husband's surname would you know if I also need to send my previous passport in my maiden name? Also does the format of my name on the affidavit and NPC doc. need to be like: Tuela Neila Jones (Nee Smith)?

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by monsieursam64(m): 10:01pm On Feb 09, 2013
Plum70:

Can I ask:

1. Yes. though mine(affidavit) did nt contain my parents place of origin bt i was asked @ npc's office.
2. No. There is no need for that.
3. No. U dont need any passport(intl p.port or p.port photo) whatsoever. I wasnt asked.
4. I dont know much abt that. When she gets there, she should ask.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by monsieursam64(m): 10:02pm On Feb 09, 2013
Plum70:

Can I ask:

1. Yes. though mine(affidavit) did nt contain my parents place of origin bt i was asked @ npc's office.
3. No. U dont need any passport(intl p.port or p.port photo) whatsoever. I wasnt asked.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 7:05pm On Feb 11, 2013
monsieursam64: 1. Yes. though mine(affidavit) did nt contain my parents place of origin bt i was asked @ npc's office.
So, the age affidavit should state:

My maiden name
DOB
Place of birth (city, state and LGA)
Anything else?

NPC Doc. should state:

My maiden name
DOB
Place of birth (city, state and LGA)
Parents' full names
Parents' place of origin (city/town, state and LGA)

That's it?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 3:11pm On Feb 14, 2013
Bump bump!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Naijalastborn(m): 12:07pm On Feb 22, 2013
if You have got this BC of a thing of recent, please tell me i need to know asap wink i need how can go about it and get mine
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 4:42pm On Feb 22, 2013
Naija_lastborn: You have got thi BC of a thing of recent should tell me i need to know asap
If only your post were not cryptic I might have been able to help!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by pillar2880: 8:03am On Mar 18, 2013
Hi Plum,

Yes the NPC doc should have:

-The name of the person attesting on your behalf
-Your maiden name
-DOB
-Place of birth (city, state and LGA)
-Parents' full names
-Parents' place of origin (city/town, state and LGA)
-And on the bottom right corner will be a passport photo of you

The sworn declaration of age filed in the high court should have:

-The name and address of the person making the oath on your behalf (same person that will attest on your behalf)
-Relationship with the person making the oath on your behalf
-Your maiden name
-DOB
-Parents' full names
-And on the top left corner will be a passport photo of the person making the oath on your behalf (same person that attested)

Though, the Swiss gov't says that a close family member can file the declaration on your behalf, I'm sure it should not be a problem if you use your friend since their DOB is not required on the declaration. You just have to figure out the type of relationship that will be stated on the declaration. e.g. on statement 2 of the declaration "That I am a family friend to [your name]."

And when all is said and done, you will then take your birth certificate in addition to other requested documents needed to register your marriage to the Swiss embassy in London, who will then authenticate the birth certificate with the Swiss embassy in Abuja. Unfortunately, this will cost you up to CHF 1,000 and the authentication alone will probably take up to 3-4 months. After your birth certificate has been cleared for authenticity with the Swiss embassy in Abuja, everything should be fairly easy from there. You will then be eventually issued your family book and finally have your marriage recognized in Switzerland. Pray everyday for favor with the different gov'ts and everyone that will be handling your case. Best of luck!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 23, 2013
I understand this is taking everyone back but do forgive- I have had an affidavit for as long as I remember (done by my sis)and I didn't change it for the original BC coz I was told it won't be issued to adults. Needing it recently pushed me to stumble on this thread... From what I see, I've been misled? I could still be issued one?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by deliceshop(m): 3:37pm On May 07, 2013
Hello

I will be getting my done this week if anybody needs help get in touch my dad will be taking care of it on my behalf so he can do your but will pay me once he get it done and you receive it in your final destination

no service charge is required i have gone thru documentation prob like this b4 so we can help each other he will be going there tomorrow if you are interested get in touch

Deliceshop
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 10:38am On Aug 08, 2013
pillar2880: Hi Plum,

Yes the NPC doc should have:

-The name of the person attesting on your behalf
-Your maiden name
-DOB
-Parents' full names
-And on the bottom right corner will be a passport photo of you

The sworn declaration of age filed in the high court should have:

-The name and address of the person making the oath on your behalf (same person that will attest on your behalf)
-Relationship with the person making the oath on your behalf
-Your maiden name
-DOB
-Parents' full names
-And on the top left corner will be a passport photo of the person making the oath on your behalf (same person that attested)

Though, the Swiss gov't says that a close family member can file the declaration on your behalf, I'm sure it should not be a problem if you use your friend since their DOB is not required on the declaration. You just have to figure out the type of relationship that will be stated on the declaration. e.g. on statement 2 of the declaration "That I am a family friend to [your name]."

And when all is said and done, you will then take your birth certificate in addition to other requested documents needed to register your marriage to the Swiss embassy in London, who will then authenticate the birth certificate with the Swiss embassy in Abuja. Unfortunately, this will cost you up to CHF 1,000 and the authentication alone will probably take up to 3-4 months. After your birth certificate has been cleared for authenticity with the Swiss embassy in Abuja, everything should be fairly easy from there. You will then be eventually issued your family book and finally have your marriage recognized in Switzerland. Pray everyday for favor with the different gov'ts and everyone that will be handling your case. Best of luck!
Hi Pillar,

Thanks the pointers. We are well aware of the process on the side of the Swiss consulate and govt. The consular staff have been quite supportive of us despite how long it has taken to wrap this up.

I am pleased to say that we have now obtained both the Affidavit and NPC doc., though we have also found an error on the Affidavit where the date of swearing in and date of magistrate's stamp do not match (they are a month apart)! It is such hard work dealing with Nigerian govt. departments.

Considering the hassle involved in obtaining these docs we will see with the Swiss embassy if they will accept it despite the error before considering any further action.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 5:00pm On Sep 05, 2013
Unfortunately we have received unwelcome news: The Swiss embassy has refused to accept our documents (age declaration and affidavit) because of the aforementioned error with the mismatching dates. They have also requested that we produce an additional document - a certificate of origin/nationality not older than 6 months issued by the City or Town Local Government of the place of origin.

This is so frustrating...I have never heard of or seen such a document, don't know where to begin to get it from and have searched extensively online but have not found one search result offering information about this.

Can anyone please help us? Is there such a certificate or origin/nationality issued to Nigerians who are nationals by birth? This seems an unusual requirement where a birth certificate and passport should reasonably (and legally) suffice.

We are momentarily distressed after the amount of time, money and effort that has already been spent and would appreciate any credible advice/information anyone can give.

THANK YOU.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Joysmart(f): 11:45am On Sep 16, 2013
Plum70: Unfortunately we have received unwelcome news: The Swiss embassy has refused to accept our documents (age declaration and affidavit) because of the aforementioned error with the mismatching dates. They have also requested that we produce an additional document - a certificate of origin/nationality not older than 6 months issued by the City or Town Local Government of the place of origin.

This is so frustrating...I have never heard of or seen such a document, don't know where to begin to get it from and have searched extensively online but have not found one search result offering information about this.

Can anyone please help us? Is there such a certificate or origin/nationality issued to Nigerians who are nationals by birth? This seems an unusual requirement where a birth certificate and passport should reasonably (and legally) suffice.

We are momentarily distressed after the amount of time, money and effort that has already been spent and would appreciate any credible advice/information anyone can give.

THANK YOU.
just send someone to your local government headquarters with about two passport photographs they'll issue you the certificate of origin. Or better still if you don't have somebody in the village that can do that just send someone to your state's liason office in any city e.g lagos they issue it there too.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by cherycoco(f): 4:53pm On Sep 27, 2013
Pls,help,i misplacd my birth certificate,how can i get a new one?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by mimicue(f): 11:31pm On Nov 20, 2013
[quote author=monsieursam64]I did my BC last week @ NPC, and d process involved is just so easy. Anyone can do it for you irrespective of d age btw u and that person. I spent roughly #4000 to get mine, and it took just 2 days for it to be ready. I see no reason u should travel with ur hubby down to naija just for a BC.
1. Your full name.
2. Date of birth
4. Place of birth.
I hope it helps.[/quote

Please where is the venue and must we carry the friend on the 1st day
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by mimicue(f): 11:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
kennyGGG:

Things aren't as difficult as some people make it seem. The NPC certificate once collected you don't need to take it anywhere to be stamped. Its your Attestation of birth. Regardless of where you are born or where your parents are from it can be obtained anywhere in Nigeria. You can have a relation or even a friend do it for you as long as they have your passport photographs (2) and a sworn affidavit of birth done by you or done on your behalf. At Babs Animasahun in Surulere Lagos it will cost you N3000 and will be collected after 72hrs.
Don't travel to nigeria because of NPC certificate. If you have people in Nigeria send them cash and they'll do it.
If anyone tells you anything other than what have told you, its story. I did mine in Lagos, was born in Delta and was accepted.

Please do I need anyone to follow me when going and how sure it it in 72 hours please help
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 7:43pm On Dec 22, 2013
Joysmart: just send someone to your local government headquarters with about two passport photographs they'll issue you the certificate of origin. Or better still if you don't have somebody in the village that can do that just send someone to your state's liason office in any city e.g lagos they issue it there too.
Thanks Joysmart. My husband challenged the Swiss Authorities on this additional document requirement and they eventually accepted to start the process based on all the docs we had previously submitted. We were advised that the process could take up to 4 months and we've so far been waiting for just over 3 months.

I will post the outcome when we get word from Switzerland.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by NigeriaBC: 1:25pm On Oct 14, 2014
You can get an original birth certificate from the Local Governments for N20,000 (delivering Worldwide)

Original Birth Certificate; Postage and Processing to;
Nigeria (DHL) is N20,000 for Regular application (4 - 7days)
UK address is N27,000 for Regular application (14 - 19days)
UK address is N36,000 for Fast application (4 - 9days)
other Country is N36,000 for Regular application (14 - 19days)
other Country is N56,000 for Fast application (4 - 9days) by DHL or other courier

Affidavit of Birth; Postage and Processing to;
Nigeria (DHL) is N15,000 for Regular application (4 - 7days)
UK address is N22,000 for Regular application (14 - 19days)
UK address is N31,000 for Fast application (4 - 9days)
other Country is N31,000 for Regular application (14 - 19days)
other Country is N51,000 for Fast application (4 - 9days) by DHL or other courier

visit: www.NigeriaBC.com
email us: support@nigeriabc.com
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 2:08am On Dec 19, 2014
Plum70:

Thanks Joysmart. My husband challenged the Swiss Authorities on this additional document requirement and they eventually accepted to start the process based on all the docs we had previously submitted. We were advised that the process could take up to 4 months and we've so far been waiting for just over 3 months.

I will post the outcome when we get word from Switzerland.
Glad to report that our marriage has now been registered in Switzerland. It was confirmed earlier this year.

Appreciate all the advice and time spared by this community to assist us in getting things sorted. You've been super!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Joysmart(f): 3:40pm On Dec 19, 2014
Wow so Glad to hear that
A very big Congratulations to you and your hubby
best of lucks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

DV LOTTERY 2014 Preparations / List Of Poorest And Richest Country In The World 2013!!! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.