Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:24 AM

The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ (13218 Views)

14 Evidences For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? / The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:33am On Dec 02, 2009
Jesus predicted His own resurrection:

Matthew 16:21-23; 17:22,23; 20:17-19; Luke 9:21,22; Mark 9:30-32; John 2:18-22

In addition to several prophecies on His resurrection, Christ Himself predicted His arrest, crucifixion, burial and eventual resurrection on the third day.
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:54pm On Dec 18, 2009
In these passages, we can see where Jesus Christ Himself predicted that He was to be crucified and to die and rise again.

[21] From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. [22] Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. [23] But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. -- Matthew 16:21-23

[22] And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men: [23] And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry. -- Matthew 17:22-23

I thank God for this eyewitness account who captured this saying from the mouth of the Messiah.
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by jcross22: 9:05pm On Dec 19, 2009
@tudor, TUDOR WHAT DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE ON?
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:10am On Dec 21, 2009
[17] And Jesus going up to Jerusalem took the twelve disciples apart in the way, and said unto them, [18] Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death, [19] And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again. -- Matthew 20:17-19

These words that Jesus Christ uttered is clear enough for us to understand that He predicted His death and resurrection.
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by akered: 5:49am On Jan 01, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

[17] And Jesus going up to Jerusalem took the twelve disciples apart in the way, and said unto them, [18] Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death, [19] And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again. -- Matthew 20:17-19

These words that Jesus Christ uttered is clear enough for us to understand that He predicted His death and resurrection.

The bible accounts in the gospels are not historical accounts.  They are ‘faith documents’.  Even one of them explicitly said so, that the account was written “that you may believe”.  They were written by people who had a goal in mind.  That is not history!!  They were not eye witness accounts.  They were written 35 to 65 years after the events they describe.  The accounts of the death and resurrection of Jesus in the gospels are not compatible and therefore they cannot all be the word of God, except if you claim that God lied in some accounts! The differences are just too many to brush aside. 
For example, what day was  Jesus crucified?  Was it the day before the Passover meal was eaten, as John explicitly states? (John 19: 14) or the day after the Passover meal was eaten as Mark explicitly states. (Mark 14: 1, 15: 1) 

Did he die at noon, as in John, (19; 14) or at 9 a.m., as in Mark? (Mark 15; 25)

Did Jesus carry his cross the entire way himself (John 19: 17) or did Simon of Cyrene carry his cross? (Mark 15: 21) It depends which Gospel you read.

Did both robbers mock Jesus on the cross (Matt. 27: 44) or did only one of them mock him and the other come to his defense? (Luke 23: 39-43)It depends which Gospel you read.

Did the curtain in the temple rip in half before Jesus died (Luke 23: 44-46) or after he died? (Matt. 27: 50-51) It depends which Gospel you read.

Or take the accounts of the resurrection.

Who went to the tomb on the third day? Was it Mary alone (John 20: 1-2) or was it Mary with other women? (Mark 16: 1) If it was Mary with other women, how many other women were there, (Mark – two, Matthew – one, Luke – more than three Luke 23: 55 – 24: 10) which ones were they, and what were their names?

Was the stone rolled away before they got there or not? (Luke – rolled before. 24: 1-2; Matthew – rolled when they got there 28: 1-2)

What did they see in the tomb? Did they see a man (Mark), did they see two men (Luke), or did they see an angel? It depends which account you read.

What were they told to tell the disciples? Were the disciples supposed to stay in Jerusalem and see Jesus there (John) or were they to go to Galilee and see Jesus there? (Matthew)

Did the women tell anyone or not? It depends which Gospel you read.

Did the disciples never leave Jerusalem or did they immediately leave Jerusalem and go to Galilee? All of these depend on which account you read.

Which account is the true word of God?  Over the centuries, people have tried unsuccessfully to ‘harmonise’ the four accounts.  What they have ended up with is an account which does not totally fit any of the gospels. Essentially a fifth gospel!! 

In summary, if Matthew, for example is historically correct and the true word of God, then Luke for example lied!!  I am sorry, there is no hiding place!
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:11pm On Jan 01, 2010
@akered,

The seeming 'contradictions' in the Bible are there for a reason. God has deliberately included seeming 'contradictions' in His Word to "snare" the proud. He has "hidden" things from the "wise and prudent" and "revealed them to babes" (Luke 10:21), purposely choosing foolish things to confound the wise (1 Cor.1:27).

Matthew and Mark both listed women as the first to see the resurrected Christ. Mark says, "He appeared first to Mary Magdalene" (Mark 16:9). But Paul lists Peter (Cephas) as the first one to see Christ after the resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:5).

Jesus appeared first to Mary Magdalene, then to the other women, and then to Peter. Paul was not giving a complete list, but only the important one for his purpose. Since only men's testimony was considered legal or official in the 1st Century, it is understandable that the apostle would not list the women as witnesses in his defense of the resurrection here.

An example of seeming contradictions are these, the four Gospels give four differing accounts as to what was written on the sign that hung on the cross. Matthew said, "This is Jesus the King of the Jews" (Matt. 27:37). However, Mark 'contradicts' that with "The King of the Jews" (Mark 15:26). Luke says something different when he said; "This is the King of the Jews" (Luke 23:38), and John maintains that the sign said "Jesus of Nazareth the King of the Jews" (John 19:19). Those who are looking for contradictions would do the only do the only exercise they are known for, jumping to the conclusions by saying: "the Bible is full of contradictions!" as you have just done here.

Genuine Christains who trust God have no problem harmonising the Gospels. There would be no contradictions if the sign simply said, "This is Jesus of Nazareth the King of the Jews." The godly base their confidence on two truths listed here below:

[list]
[li]1. "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Tim.3:16), and;

2. An elementary rule in Scripture that God has deliberately included apparent contradictions in His Word to "snare" the proud.[/li]
[/list]

If an ungodly man refuses to humble himself and obey the gospel, and instead desires to build a case against the Bible, God gives him enough material to build his own gallows. So in a sense, the Bible can be used to make your own noose to hang yourself or it can be used as a lifeline used to escape from the pit of hell, it depends on what you make out of it. (The Evidence Bible)
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:31pm On Jan 01, 2010
"Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came to the selpulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them." -- Luke 24:1 (The Evidence Bible)

There seems to be a contradiction as to who arrived first at the tomb.  However, there is no contradiction when the Gospels are read in harmony.  When the women arrived at the edge of the garden, they looked and saw that the stone had been rolled back from the tomb.  Mary concluded that the body had been stolen and ran back to Peter and John in Jerusalem.  The other women continued to the tomb, and went on inside where they encountered the angels.  Only skeptics will see 'contradictions' here, the more they look the less they see.
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by akered: 7:23pm On Jan 01, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

@akered,

The seeming 'contradictions' in the Bible are there for a reason. God has deliberately included seeming 'contradictions' in His Word to "snare" the proud. He has "hidden" things from the "wise and prudent" and "revealed them to babes" (Luke 10:21), purposely choosing foolish things to confound the wise (1 Cor.1:27).

2. An elementary rule in Scripture that God has deliberately included apparent contradictions in His Word to "snare" the proud.[/li]
[/list]

)

You are not painting a picture of a God who is interested in saving people.  Any loving God will not deliberately CONFUSE AND HIDE information that may save some people.  You even claim he is trying to SNARE some people!  That sounds like the devil to me!  A truly loving God will go out of his way to give as much information as possible.  So the whole story is a trap?  To kill as many of his creations as possible.  Snaring, until now I thought was mainly used by hunters to kill animals for food.  Please dont tell me someone is bloodthirty!
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by akered: 7:50pm On Jan 01, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

@akered,

Genuine Christains who trust God have no problem harmonising the Gospels.

They do this by writing their own 'fifth' gospel which will not tally fully with any of the four. Remember the curse in Revelation on anyone who changes anything in the 'word of God'
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:49pm On Jan 01, 2010
In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight. -- Luke 10:21

In one of the rare occasions when Jesus rejoiced in the spirit, He revealed that the truth is always hidden from those who profess to be wise and prudent as a result of their pride and self conceit (See Rom.1:18-32; 2 Cor.4:3-4; 1 Cor.1:18-21; 2:1-16). 

The simplicity of God's truth is always revealed to those who accept and obey it (1 Cor.3:1-3; 1 Pet.2:1-2).  Jesus said that this is good in the sight of the Only Wise God (Matt. 11:26; 13:11-16; 1 Cor.1:18-21).
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by AbuZola3(m): 11:52pm On Jan 01, 2010
Jesu, the jewish carpenter died in pieces and never rose
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:15am On Jan 02, 2010
@Abuzola,

You've been barking at the wrong tree. Jesus Christ is not the Isa of the qur'an that you have been led to believe. Isa is the arabic name for Esau while Yeshua is the Jewish name for Jesus. You don't even have Esau in your qur'an why would'nt you get your facts mixed up. shocked

1 Like

Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by AbuZola3(m): 12:17am On Jan 02, 2010
You seem confused, sorry dude
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:33am On Jan 02, 2010
@Abu Zola,

Tell me, do you have Esau who is the grandchild of Abraham in your qur'an?  If you do you would have known that the arabic name of Esau is Isa whom you confuse for Jesus.  You can now see how your so called holy book has confused millions of people.  If your qur'an doesnt know Esau and it got the name of Jesus wrong, how on earth would it know whether Jesus was crucified, died and rose again the third day?

http://debate.org.uk/topics/theo/resurrec.htm
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by AbuZola3(m): 12:38am On Jan 02, 2010
Mr., yes Eesa and not esau.
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:42am On Jan 02, 2010
Abu Zola:

Mr., yes Eesa and not esau.

Eesa or Isa still means Esau and not Jesus. Yeshua is the appropriate name if you may ask.
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by akered: 7:14am On Jan 02, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight. -- Luke 10:21

In one of the rare occasions when Jesus rejoiced in the spirit, He revealed that the truth is always hidden from those who profess to be wise and prudent as a result of their pride and self conceit (See Rom.1:18-32; 2 Cor.4:3-4; 1 Cor.1:18-21; 2:1-16).

The simplicity of God's truth is always revealed to those who accept and obey it (1 Cor.3:1-3; 1 Pet.2:1-2). Jesus said that this is good in the sight of the Only Wise God (Matt. 11:26; 13:11-16; 1 Cor.1:18-21).

I think I now get your arguement! Only those with a low IQ will accept the resurection story. Even the the authors of the bible are aware that anyone with any shred of intelligence will not buy their story. And the plan is to eliminate any 'wise and prudent' person from the face of the earth. Born again christians must have the intelligence of 2 year olds? Is it a sin to be wise in Jesus country? I thank God I am wise and prudent. Good christians must not use their brains no matter how small it may be! Just accept and obey!!!!
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by akered: 7:24am On Jan 02, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

"Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came to the selpulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them." -- Luke 24:1 (The Evidence Bible)

There seems to be a contradiction as to who arrived first at the tomb. However, there is no contradiction when the Gospels are read in harmony. When the women arrived at the edge of the garden, they looked and saw that the stone had been rolled back from the tomb. Mary concluded that the body had been stolen and ran back to Peter and John in Jerusalem. The other women continued to the tomb, and went on inside where they encountered the angels. Only skeptics will see 'contradictions' here, the more they look the less they see.

THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO OLAADEGBU CHAPTER grin VERSE tongue THERE ENDETH THE LESSON
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by Image123(m): 8:06am On Jan 02, 2010
The more they look the less they see. lol
Quite a pity. It is the other way round with spiritual things. Seeing is not believing, but believing is seeing. I pray you guys believe more this year.amen. Jesus said 'if you can believe, you will see'. Hallelujah
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:12pm On Jan 02, 2010
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.  -- 1 Corinthians 1:18

Supposing I say: "I am going to tell you some things about my father that will make him look bad.  He regularly left my mother to fend for herself.  I was once horrified to hear that he deliberately killed a helpless animal.  Not only that, but he hit me (often)."  What conclusions would you jump to?  Your guess is as good as mine.

Here's the information that's missing: "The reason he left my mum during the day was to work to earn money to take care of her and their children.  He killed the animal because it had been run over by a car and was suffering.  He regularly chastened me because he loved me enough to teach me right from wrong (I was a brat)."

Portions of the Bible that "make God look bad" merely reveal that we lack understanding.  I never once questioned my dad's integrity, because I trusted him. (Mark 10:15).

The analogy above sums up the reason why God has "hidden" things from the "wise and prudent" and "revealed them to babes" (Luke 10:21), purposely choosing foolish things to confound the wise (1 Cor.1:27). --  The Evidence Bible
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by noetic16(m): 10:33pm On Jan 02, 2010
Happy new year Sir OLAADEGBU cheesy
May the peace of God forever abide with u, may u increase in wisdom, knowledge and understanding.
May the fortitude God gave u to speak and stand by the truth forever increase.
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:09pm On Jan 02, 2010
noetic16:

Happy new year Sir OLAADEGBU cheesy
May the peace of God forever abide with u, may u increase in wisdom, knowledge and understanding.
May the fortitude God gave u to speak and stand by the truth forever increase.

Amen in Jesus' name!!!

Noetic, may the good Lord remember you like He remembered Noah.  Favour you like Moses.  Honour you like Mary.  Fight for you like He did for the Israelites.  Prosper you like Isaac.  Promote you like Joseph.  Intervene on your behalf like Esther.  Protect you like Daniel.  Use you like Paul.  Heal you like He healed Naaman.  Answer you like Elijah.  Anoint you like David.  Keep you safe like Shedrach, Meshack and Abednego this new year 2010 in Jesus' name.  wink
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by mazaje(m): 2:06am On Jan 03, 2010
@ OLAADEGBU

Where is the empty tomb of Jesus? Does it exist at all? If it does then where is it?
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by AbuZola3(m): 2:08am On Jan 03, 2010
Mr man it is Eesa, are you the one to tell me arabic
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by mazaje(m): 2:11am On Jan 03, 2010
Abu Zola:

Mr man it is Eesa, are you the one to tell me arabic

Your evidence to show that the Jesus talked about in the bible and the Isa of the koran is what?. . . .
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by AbuZola3(m): 2:29am On Jan 03, 2010
Are you okay, what the hell are you saying a, ina kama ka
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by mazaje(m): 2:47am On Jan 03, 2010
Abu Zola:

Are you okay, what the hell are you saying a, ina kama ka

Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by AbuZola3(m): 2:50am On Jan 03, 2010
sad
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by ilosiwaju: 12:15pm On Jan 03, 2010
I extracted this phrase from Anne Bessant's The Freethinker's Textbook and i think i av quoted it like twice earlier on NL. It's still relevant sha

The most remarkable thing in the evidences afforded by profane history is their extreme paucity; the very
existence of Jesus cannot be proved from contemporary documents. A child whose birth is heralded by a star
which guides foreign sages to Judæa; a massacre of all the infants of a town within the Roman Empire by
command of a subject king; a teacher who heals the leper, the blind, the deaf, the dumb, the lame, and who
raises the mouldering corpse; a King of the Jews entering Jerusalem in triumphal procession, without
opposition from the Roman legions of Cæsar; an accused ringleader of sedition arrested by his own
countrymen, and handed over to the imperial governor; a rebel adjudged to death by Roman law; a three
hours' darkness over all the land; an earthquake breaking open graves and rending the temple veil; a number
of ghosts wandering about Jerusalem; a crucified corpse rising again to life, and appearing to a crowd of
above 500 people; a man risen from the dead ascending bodily into heaven without any concealment, and in
the broad daylight, from a mountain near Jerusalem; all these marvellous events took place, we are told, and
yet they have left no ripple on the current of contemporary history. There is, however, no lack of such history,
and an exhaustive account of the country and age in which the hero of the story lived is given by one of his
own nation--a most painstaking and laborious historian. "How shall we excuse the supine inattention of the
Pagan and philosophic world to those evidences which were presented by the hand of Omnipotence, not to
their reason, but to their senses?

Even if you believe the crucifixion of jesus, suggestions have been made that such a method of execution was designed to prolong death and hence its not impossible for christ to still be alive at the time he was removed from the cross. they did not have stethoscopes, i double if they new about pulse, no med equipment whatsoever. grin
OLAADEGBU:

@akered,

The seeming 'contradictions' in the Bible are there for a reason. God has deliberately included seeming 'contradictions' in His Word ,
bros, you are either drunk or have switched to CDDM christian desperate defense mode wink

Image123:

The more they look the less they see. lol
Quite a pity. It is the other way round with spiritual things. Seeing is not believing, but believing is seeing. I pray you guys believe more this year.amen. Jesus said 'if you can believe, you will see'. Hallelujah
na illusionists una be now? shocked

ok oo!
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by mazaje(m): 12:26pm On Jan 03, 2010
ilosiwaju:

;Dbros, you are either drunk or have switched to CDDM christian desperate defense mode wink

grin grin grin. . . . . .Does any body know where the tomb of Jesus is located?. . . . .
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:00pm On Jan 04, 2010
mazaje:

grin grin grin. . . . . .Does any body know where the tomb of Jesus is located?. . . . .

A better question would be: Did anyone find the bones of Jesus Christ were it was buried, and if not why not?
Re: The Evidence Of The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ by toneyb: 4:18pm On Jan 04, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

A better question would be: Did anyone find the bones of Jesus Christ were it was buried, and if not why not?

Mazaje asked a sımple question which is where is the said tomb of Jesus? You will first of all have to provide the allege tomb for people to go and see if there are no bones there, So where is the allege tomb? Does it exist? If it does then where is it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

He That Breaketh A Hedge, Serpent Will Bite Him / Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality / Just Curious: Why Isn't Peter One Of The Gospel Writers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.