Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki (1700 Views)

FG Appeals, Says Saraki’s Acquittal Unreasonable / I’m Being Prosecuted For Old Grievances – Dasuki / I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by henroe2k2(m): 12:34am On Sep 23, 2015
ABUJA- SENATE President Bukola Saraki who appeared
before the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT following a 13-
count charge against him by the Code of Conduct Bureau, over
alleged falsification of assets he admitted, said Tuesday that if
he was not the Senate President, he would not be going through
the present trial.

In a statement tilted, “As I Appear Before The Code of Conduct
Tribunal (CCT)” he personally signed Tuesday night, Senate
President Bukola Saraki who noted that his appearance before
the CCT was a demonstration of his believe in rule of law and
respect for the judiciary, said, “Today, I appeared before the
Code of Conduct Tribunal for the commencement of my trial in a
case concerning the asset declaration form I filled in 2003 after
I have explored the opportunity to defend my fundamental human
rights in other courts.

“My appearance in court today once again demonstrates my belief
in the rule of law and respect for the judiciary of our country.
“As I stated while taking the plea in the case, I reiterate my
belief that the only reason while I am going through this trial is
because I am Senate President. If I were to be just a Senator, I
doubt if anybody will be interested in the asset declaration form I
filled over twelve years ago.

“This belief stems from the fact that Section 3 (d) of the Code
of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act provides that If there is a
breach or non-compliance with any section of the law, the person
involved should be given the opportunity to either admit or deny
and that in the case of a written admission, no reference to the
Tribunal shall be necessary. So, If the CCB had followed the
guidelines, procedure or the due process provided in its own law,
we won’t be having this trial.

“It is my humble opinion that this case is a vivid example that
there is still flagrant disregard for due process in our polity. This
trial is not only being observed by Nigerians alone, the
international community is watching because Nigeria is a key
member of this community. So, the executive, legislature and
judiciary should do the right thing that will truly demonstrate that we have imbibed the spirit of positive change.

“It is however necessary for me to thank my colleagues in the
Senate for the solid support and solidarity they demonstrated for
me. I also thank my counsel for the brilliance they have shown
in presenting our case and the supporters who were present in
the Tribunal in their hundreds. I want to assure you that I am
innocent of all the charges and will clear my name in due course.
“May God continue to bless our country.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/i-am-being-prosecuted-because-i-am-senate-president-saraki/

1 Like

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by tymoti(m): 12:38am On Sep 23, 2015
really?
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by PunterTim(m): 12:39am On Sep 23, 2015
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by jamalsky: 12:40am On Sep 23, 2015
Basically I just feel somehow we need to start getting things right in this country.It's so shameful the efforts & technicalities that the senate President & his legal team have been putting in the way & trying to get the tribunal not to sit on Dr. Saraki's corruption charges.For God's sake,Dr Saraki has been issuing statements & press releases here & there but not once has he actually spoken on the fundamental material issue on ground i.e the charges brought against him,someone should remind this man that he is the senate President & no 3 citizen in the country, he will surely be put under scrutiny particularly that this administration (which he is supposed to be part of) has made it clear that one of it's main aim is to fight corruption. This man should be fair to us Nigerians & come out on these charges, he has a lot of negative public perception centered across his previous antecedents, the EFCC questioned his wife for same corruption issues, we still have the case of the defunct Societte bank, now the CCB case of a whole 13 count charge, so pathetic that someone with such visible skeletons in his cupboard is now the person leading our senate in the country, I weep for Nigeria. No matter how our normal sentimental societal judgements is trying to make this issue look like, this man should be tried, of course he has a fundamental right to defend himself, but for such a sensitive & exalted position he holds, I am bold to say, morally I question if Dr Saraki is indeed fit to lead the legislative house of our country at this critical time of our nation rebuilding from the destruction of our economy by the previous administration of President Goodluck Jonathan & his cohorts. God save & bless Nigeria.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Nobody: 12:52am On Sep 23, 2015
You never see anything.
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Luggi007(m): 12:52am On Sep 23, 2015
I don't think so.....you are been prosecuted because you declared false assets to the CCB.

Because you are Senate president does not make you above the law sir.

Prove your innocence and forget story

6 Likes

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Vikkie14: 1:08am On Sep 23, 2015
Luggi007:
I don't think so.....you are been prosecuted because you declared false assets to the CCB.

Because you are Senate president does not make you above the law sir.

Prove your innocence and forget story
I quite agree with Saraki statement that he was being crucified because he is the Senate President. Frankly, had it been he is just a member, NONE would be interested in his case.

And i agree with you that He should submit to the rule of law as he is not immuned from it.
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Vikkie14: 1:10am On Sep 23, 2015
We never saw it in this fashion(old slang).
The RULING party is still the OPPOSITION party. Seems PD is just watching from the sideline throwing punches when necessary.
A house divided against itself can not stand.
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Vikkie14: 1:15am On Sep 23, 2015
The "RULING OPPOSING" party is on "Self-Destroy" with the path they are threading.

They are the 'ruling party' and also the 'opposing party'. They just broke a record.

Make sure you can spell POLITICS before quoting me.
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by phaphyz05(m): 1:55am On Sep 23, 2015
Cool story bro... Shebi actor no dy die inside him own film na chillax and watch in HD.
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by omowolewa: 2:02am On Sep 23, 2015
He left the crack. The substance of the matter should be addressed.
Yes, because of S.presidency but is the allegation a lie? I guess no.

Why not defend the issue successfully first and see Nigerians defend you.
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by babadem2much(m): 2:18am On Sep 23, 2015
Are you the first Senate President in this country?

a beg make we hear word

why do we always celebrate people who loot our treasury n kill a common man who stole from a shop because the high class have looted what belongs to him why?.

if we don't kill CORRUPTION, CORRUPTION WILL KILL US

1 Like

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by baby124: 2:28am On Sep 23, 2015
No, you are being prosecuted because you destroyed your party's plans for this country. You have made it hard for us to get the change we want. Out of greed you have almost destroyed the move forward we were looking for. You have no plans for the future and you want to pull us back because you can't see past your immediate desires. Does it make sense that PDP has so much power in an APC government. If you tried what you did in PDP you would have been assassinated. Kindly park your self and resign. What a mess. We want to move forward in this country, greed has not taken us anywhere and people are suffering. It's time to put the country first and stop making a mockery of yourself, party and country. Shior. You don't deserve consideration because you did not give consideration when you hatched a plan to keep this country stagnant for your gain. Shame on you for trying to play victim.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by ademega(m): 2:32am On Sep 23, 2015
are you the first ever Senate president?

2 Likes

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by JoBabs(m): 2:34am On Sep 23, 2015
Baba I love you but I hate ur dishonesty sir, this is a regime where transparency is the talk of the day, gone are the days we celebrated corrupt practices.

God Bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Nairadean(m): 2:39am On Sep 23, 2015
Fact
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by omenka(m): 2:46am On Sep 23, 2015
Still trying hard to appeal to the emotions of ever emotional Nigerians.

Mr Saraki, leave all that matter- we all know why you are being prosecuted- besides, who sought your explanation?? Why didn't you say this before the CCT?? I trust only gullible people would read this nonsense and wanna feel some "compassion" for you over your travails.

We don't need you telling us nothing- save all your twaddle for Umar. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Pavore9: 3:27am On Sep 23, 2015
I also hope in his personal moments he can boldly say that to his Creator, that he never misappropriated public funds.

1 Like

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Nobody: 4:24am On Sep 23, 2015
Nigerians are not just wiser now but compared to the last few year, Nigerians are now more actively involved in politics and monitoring it's processes.

Yes yes yes you are being prosecuted because you are the Senate president...yes yes yes that is true...and that is only because the era of impunity and gross disregard for standards and procedures is over. And as the number 1 lawmaker, it is expected that you should be the number one 'law abider'...

And also you are a flagrant criminal who instead of facing the issue at hand, you were trying to twist the arm of law..

It was fun watching you being docked yesterday after all the shenanigans of yesterday

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Boss13: 4:37am On Sep 23, 2015
Vikkie14:
I quite agree with Saraki statement that he was being crucified because he is the Senate President. Frankly, had it been he is just a member, NONE would be interested in his case.

And i agree with you that He should submit to the rule of law as he is not immuned from it.

Yes I agree with him and you. He is a big fish and should be fried.

1 Like

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Boss13: 4:44am On Sep 23, 2015
I agree with Saraki and honestly he brought this upon himself. He became the senate president through a fraudulent means and he made a deal with the opposition to create a bad precedence for our legislative system. In the future, people would want to refer to the unholy alliance created by Saraki.

In order to cure the disease, a review of his past actions was done and as usual the man Saraki cannot be clean. He has engage in previous criminal activities in the past and so it is easier to hold him on that whether it was done 100 years ago or a month from now.

I support the prosecution because it should draw to mind of future conspirators that in the end justice still prevails.
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by oluwafemi113(m): 4:48am On Sep 23, 2015

In Nigeria, a serving Senate President Docked? Halleluyah! It seems Nigeria is about to be moving progressively forward, no more impunity, No one is above the The Law.. Ha a ha ha ha, See our Senate President who dey abuse our fatherland with arrogance, see as see he sit down inside Open roof Jeep made of Wood, ha ha ha ha. GOD bless Nigeria, this will serve as a notice to all our Leaders irrespective of their position. A new Sheriff is in Town, His name is, Baba Go Slow, Mr No Nonsense. Hala BUHARI!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by disloman(m): 5:17am On Sep 23, 2015
You fought your way to the post and gat to bear the consequences.Abi na my father dem suppose to face trial ni?

2 Likes

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by ORACLE1975(m): 5:29am On Sep 23, 2015
then leave
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Aufbauh(m): 5:33am On Sep 23, 2015
Mr Saraki what we care to know is that are you guilty or not guilty of the allegations? Shekina!
Keep the explanations to your fellow allies in the struggle.
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by mysteriousman(m): 5:42am On Sep 23, 2015
Saraki the joker, them force you become senate president
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by 989900: 5:43am On Sep 23, 2015
If I were to be just a Senator, I
doubt if anybody will be interested in the asset declaration form I
filled
over twelve years ago.

Well Bukky, 'ambition' they say is one of the 3 things that can destroy a man, maybe you should have just remained a 'mere' senator. We want our #1 lawmaker to be baggage free, and upright -- it's a new dawn sire.

Secondly, my major fear has always been: did you really fill those forms yourself as alleged? Thanks for confirming you did; I always knew you'r a man of your words, I guess the prosecution is glad you acknowledged filling those forms too as an educated fellow -- now, defend it!

@Baby124 and tobimillar: I wish I could like your comments a 100 times each.

1 Like

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by iconaus: 5:44am On Sep 23, 2015
We know that. Saraki is being persecuted because he is the senate president. All politicians re corrupt. Apc is evil
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Nobody: 5:45am On Sep 23, 2015
Yhu are being prosecuted because you're a suspected looter, liar, cheat, and international babban barawo aka IBB.

1 Like

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by handie(m): 5:46am On Sep 23, 2015
Smh for these Nigerian politicians. To them, everything is persecution, political witch hunting and the like. Na d senate presidency make u commit perjury?(if u are guilty). Dude, answer the charges before you and leave politics out of it.

1 Like

Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by Brooklynsouth(f): 6:55am On Sep 23, 2015
Boss13:
I agree with Saraki and honestly he brought this upon himself. He became the senate president through a fraudulent means and he made a deal with the opposition to create a bad precedence for our legislative system. In the future, people would want to refer to the unholy alliance created by Saraki.

In order to cure the disease, a review of his past actions was done and as usual the man Saraki cannot be clean. He has engage in previous criminal activities in the past and so it is easier to hold him on that whether it was done 100 years ago or a month from now.

I support the prosecution because it should draw to mind of future conspirators that in the end justice still prevails.
u see the problem jesus had with pharases thinking that they are righteous an others unholy so PMB Tinubu amaechi obj are saints I wonder the type spell tunubu used on these Southwest that they think anybody against him is an enemy of the state what nonsense but I think its no spell but they are natural bigot all of them that's how they are can u imagine arrant nonsense and tinubu wife in the house is a saint too just pray he survives this drama una APC go hear wee just pray I hate all of u. hypocrisy @ the highest level
Re: I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki by anigbajumo(m): 6:55am On Sep 23, 2015
Every body knws dat some pple ar behind dis season film though saraki is a betrayal (I fink dat is game of politics).

Bt let look at it,we hav the 3arms of govmnt..

The Executive....The northerner
The Legislator....Assumed northerner (saraki nd dogara)
The judiciary...The northerner

Is this not corruption?

I decided to against saraki b4 bt wen I realised dis I can see dat it does nt speak well for our Democracy....Because saraki is nt a core north they want to remove him nd put a blooded norther so that the 3arms of government will be pure northerner....

Tinubu should realise dis shit nah.

Saraki is only a northerner geographically,Biologically saraki is a pure Yoruba,I Even doubt it if he can speak hausa.

75% of kwara indegene ar Yoruba bt the paramont ruler is Emir.

HRM Oba AbdulGaniyu Ajibola Ibrahim (MFR)
“ Olusookun II” (The Elerin of Erin-Ile) 1st Class

2) HRM Oba Abdulwahab Oyewale Oyetoro
(The Onira of Ira) 2nd Class

3) HRM Oba Muftau Adebayo Lawal “Titiloye II”
(The Onipee of Ipee) 3rd Class

4) HRM Oba Abdulrasaq Adebayo Abioye “Ilufemiloye”
(The Olukotun of Ikotun) 3rd Class

5) HRM Oba Abdulrasaq Adegboyega Afolabi “Iyiolaseemi III”
(The Olojoku of Ojoku) 3rd Class

6) HRM Oba Salaudeen Olagunju Adeyeye Fagbemi “Obebe II”
(The Onijagbo of Ijagbo) 3rd Class

7) HRM Oba Simeon Bamidele Oyedeji (JP)
(The Onigosun of Igosun) 3rd class

HRM Oba Yusuf Omokanye “Oyekanmi II”
(The Elemona of Ilemona) 4th class

9) HRM Oba Yahaya Olatoyese “Olanipekun I”
(The Onigbona of Igbonna land) 4th class

10) HRM Oba Juril Bolaji “Maranro IV”
(The Alaho of Aho-Gbada) 4th Class

and others

Forget about saraki corrupt dat s y is being prosecuted.Nobody is saint,is jst an excuse to remove or frustrate him from the office.

This is Nigeria,everbody knws dat our leader choose personal interest first b4 dividends of democracy to their respective society.

Drop pen (APC supporter).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shun Violence, No Politician Is Worth Your Blood – 2face Tells Kogi Youths / Biafra: Obasanjo, ‘kettle Calling Pot Black’, Says Achuzia / First Biafra Built Automatic Electric Changer Over Emerge In South East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.