Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501708 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ATUTUPUYOYO(m): 11:47am On Aug 16, 2017
BIAFRA

She was the beauty of her motherland, and everyone respected and admired her. Unlike her fellow sisters, she had big dreams and was determined to fulfil her dreams regelardless of the obstacles that stood her way. She made her people proud and they returned the favour by making her their leader.

But life is not a bed of roses, you know. For those who envied her progress gathered in conspiracy against her. They denied her goodness and beauty, and they turned their backs against her. They swiftly forgot all her good deeds and rejected her; and she became an outcast in her motherland.

But she wasn't alone.
She had offsprings. Her children grew up quickly and they grew strong. It wasn't long until they rose against their oppressors. They fought for their mother, shed blood for their mother and died for their mother.
Who else could they die for, if not mother?

But, like every war, the only thing can match up to the number of bullets ejected is the number of people terminated. They grew weary of the lives lost and sought to make peace. And that was how the dreadful battle ended.
Days embraced days and became month(s); and months embraced months and became year(s) . They learned to live in oppression and marginalization.

But one cannot be fooled twice. Peace without equity is only ephemeral. Silence doesn't necessarily mean weakness. Mother's enemies never knew silence can be violent.

Mother's children were only studying their enemies. They knew that mother's enemies were cunning and witty, so they studied hard to match the enemies with those qualities. They acquired great knowledge and they have emerged once again, much more determined. This time they attacked with diplomacy under the leadership of one of mother's brave sons.
He brought the war to their legal doorsteps, wittingly avoiding violence.
He drew the first blood with a blunt sword of orientation. He equipped her mother's children with knowledge, and he gave them a motive.

The war has started and mother's children, despite the glaring disavatages, remain confident of victory.
They are fighting for their mother, and her name is BIAFRA.

#GivePeaceAChance

If you enjoyed my little write-up, kindly visit:
https://www.nairaland.com/3985381/win-10000-naira-writing-short/2 and like it.
It's a competition and I'd like you to give me your support.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fakati(m): 6:26pm On Sep 03, 2017
Hausa-kasan Liberia

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fakati(m): 7:13pm On Sep 03, 2017
In this context Ile-Liberia the ile is not home as the (e)sounds as in led .

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Opiletool(m): 11:28pm On Sep 04, 2017
peckhamboi:
Hello guys,

I am looking for the title of an old Yoruba song

I think it was sang by Chief Ebenezer Obey.

"Kini be n'igbo, tin dun mahuru, mahuru?, mahuru
T'oba fe pani je, ko kuku pani je
Bi o si pani je, ko ma she dun mahuru, mahuru mo o!"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sang by King sunny Ade rather. Don't know the title. Try 'Omo ode'
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Sisisara: 10:01pm On Oct 03, 2017
yoruba:
LOVE:
PEACE:
JOY:
BEAUTY:

hausa:
LOVE:
PEACE:
JOY:
BEAUTY:

igbo:
LOVE:
PEACE:
JOY:
BEAUTY:

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by awo666(m): 12:50pm On Oct 17, 2017
Sisisara:
yoruba: LOVE: IFE PEACE: ALAFIA JOY: IDUNNU BEAUTY: REWA
hausa: LOVE: PEACE: JOY: BEAUTY:
igbo: LOVE: PEACE: JOY: BEAUTY:
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by PropertyAsset: 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2017
Thank you so much for this post.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Krystalluv(f): 11:41am On Oct 27, 2017
pls how do I say "behind" in Hausa. or how do I say 'I'm going behind stadium" or "I'm going to back of stadium"? in Hausa. Thanks
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by FriendNG: 2:22am On Oct 28, 2017
Krystalluv:
pls how do I say "behind" in Hausa.
or how do I say 'I'm going behind stadium"
or "I'm going to back of stadium"? in Hausa.
Thanks

Baya means back.

" Zanje bayan stadium "
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by manuelaaumick(f): 3:42pm On Oct 30, 2017
Ohhh that is so great from your side)
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Krystalluv(f): 4:29pm On Oct 31, 2017
FriendNG:

Baya means back.
" Zanje bayan stadium "
Thanks a lot

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by rhelis: 4:25pm On Nov 01, 2017
Quality clothing, foot wears, accessories and basic household item visit https://rhelis.com to BARGAIN NOW. All items #1 to #3k.
We also offer catering services
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Syphonn(m): 6:06pm On Nov 06, 2017
“Men are scums but I’m keeping my virginity for Anthony Joshua” – Nigerian Lady Says

A Nigerian lady identified as Scholastica Joseph, has disclosed via her Facebook page that she is keeping herself for British-Nigerian boxer Anthony Joshua or Rob Kardashian.

SEE PHOTOS

http://www.busygisting.com/men-scums-im-keeping-virginity-anthony-joshua-nigerian-lady-says/
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Syphonn(m): 12:52am On Nov 17, 2017
Top life skills to teach your children

Raising children can be sometimes difficult for some parents. But as a good parent you should teach your children as they do not know so many things without being taught. This issue is sometimes due to the relationship the parents have between themselves in their daily dealings.

The most important teachers to children are their parents, because they are always with them and will always be till they grow into adulthood.

To help you make the most of this privileged position as a parent, here are skills you can teach your children, each of which will make a fundamental differences in their life.

Read more http://www.busygisting.com/lifeskills-to-teach-your-children/
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by NonsoPlatinum: 1:29pm On Nov 29, 2017
There's a lot of igbo culture being promoted in the Igbo-British community. Have a look at their channel, they are trying to keep the language alive..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTyt1IqD6hk

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 26, 2017
Should guys alone always pay on dates?This is a common question people ask, read on the link and get our own opinion.

http://www.busygisting.com/should-the-guy-always-pay-on-all-dates/
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by elvisscientist(m): 4:27pm On Dec 28, 2017
To make wealth, it all starts from your mind,followed by your action!!
I got a cassava pounding machine that pounds fufu and yam ,and this has increased my sales and yield money which has made me know what it takes to be rich and happy

I graduated from federal university of owerri,and after school the first year Of my life was hell. I had no money to pay my bills and life was just rough. ..so I went into construction and was taught how to produce and repair heavy machines used for pounding fufu,Yam,etc WHICH makes life easy and saves time and energy instead of pounding manually.

It was a mind blowing experience as I found the secret of making such machines.
The first week after construction ,I bought already processed cassava,cooked them and pounded it with my machine, I wrapped it with the help of my mother and we distributed it to d market,restaurant,hotels,weeding events etc..it sold fast and the next week I pounded 3bags in just an hour.I have made lot of money, and as I speak I have ten people working and distributing my fufu products for me..people come to my house to order for it and that stopped all the frustated struggle towards becoming rich

I have machines for sale as I speak, I will also train you on how to produce and distribute your product to any area you desire to sell it..I will also teach you how and where to get already processed cassavas.this machine pounds fufu (cassava) as quick as anything and its far more better than the manual way(mortar pounding)

most nairalanders are now using this machine to make money for themselves as have taught them how to increase wealth without stressing much.

I am creating a platform to make fufu pounding with this machine a high business in Nigeria,where youths can be self employed with no stress..all you need is get the machine and I will show you the next step to make more cash

Intrested people should call and WhatsApp me 08103107555

Email..elvisfrosh@gmail.com

facebook..elvis scientist

if interested call or add me on WhatsApp 08103107555
email.elvisfrosh @gmail.com

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Ademic346(m): 4:12am On Dec 31, 2017
grafikdon:

Potato = Jinwannu (Ekwulobia/Nanka/Oko. . .etc)
ok
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by gozzlin: 12:35am On Jan 15, 2018
Sisisara:
yoruba:
LOVE:
PEACE:
JOY:
BEAUTY:

hausa:
LOVE:
PEACE:
JOY:
BEAUTY:

igbo:
LOVE:
PEACE:
JOY:
BEAUTY:

igbo:
LOVE:Ịhụnanya
PEACE:Udo
JOY:Ọñụ
BEAUTY:mma
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by princeuzoh: 6:02pm On Feb 04, 2018
An amazing cultural troupe I met in the village. A must watch for everyone. Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO2G-gFFCMo
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Missnande(f): 7:53am On Mar 02, 2018
Please what does the Igbo word 'Mma Mma' mean in English?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by brucebevilaNG(m): 4:44pm On Mar 08, 2018
Iranoladun:
In Yoruba 'Liberia' is better translated as 'orile ede Laiberia' I. E. Country Liberia just like 'Liberian' will be 'omo Laiberia' or in plural 'awon eeyan Laiberia'

haha true that! smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by brucebevilaNG(m): 4:51pm On Mar 08, 2018
Peacebeels:
Should guys alone always pay on dates?This is a common question people ask, read on the link and get our own opinion.

http://www.busygisting.com/should-the-guy-always-pay-on-all-dates/

No, of course. I totally disagree with this statement! Men and women can share the bill, thus the ladies won't feel dependent on somebody else. It is a bad sign for a society... meaning men being too overwhelming...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by brucebevilaNG(m): 4:56pm On Mar 08, 2018
Missnande:
Please what does the Igbo word 'Mma Mma' mean in English?

It means praisesmiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by brucebevilaNG(m): 4:56pm On Mar 08, 2018
Sisisara:
yoruba:
LOVE:
PEACE:
JOY:
BEAUTY:

hausa:
LOVE:
PEACE:
JOY:
BEAUTY:

igbo:
LOVE:
PEACE:
JOY:
BEAUTY:

exactly!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by sadamnafiu1(m): 7:12pm On Mar 16, 2018
ifyalways:
@Poster,why was the thread topic modified?it sounded better as  it was b4  undecided
Bros na fullstop u wan put for the thread?anyway, make i try .lol
Pawpaw=poh-poh  cheesy
Garri=utara akpu eghere eghe.
maggi=Ogiri bekke  tongue
Tomatoes=mgbachu ocha obara obara
in hausa pawpaw_gwanda,
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by latonyn(m): 7:08am On Mar 29, 2018
Plss I need someone to help me translate 'obu onye apari' to English
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by gozzlin: 3:03pm On Mar 30, 2018
latonyn:
Plss I need someone to help me translate 'obu onye apari' to English

cheesy

Ọ bụ Onye aparị: He is a mor0n. grin
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Myrahv: 8:05pm On Apr 01, 2018
Please can someone tell me which language this is, and what it means?? It's from a Yemi Alade (ft Sauti Sol) song, 'Africa',

Biko weruya wayo
Wayaka

(I know 'biko' is please in Igbo)
Oh and maybe it is misspelled..? On the song on youtube it are the words from 1:14-1:18.

Thank you so much !!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.