Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,069 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (502294 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ExplicitSuccess: 4:29pm On Feb 19, 2019

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by 1stHooligan(m): 9:01pm On Mar 10, 2019
joyfullyjoyous:
Philanthropist means Olowo ti n fowo saanu
I think there is another name for it. Bujebuudanu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by DOBOEFEMENA: 11:58am On Mar 15, 2019
Traditional Nigerian Game

Who remembers the days we used to play games like suwe, police and thief, fire on the mountain, ten ten and ayo.

Now with the advent of technology we can play some of these games online.

Did you know there is a version of the ayo game online.

It is called Awale Online and it is a strategy game among the Mancala family of board games played in West Africa
and worldwide. The goal of the game is to capture more seeds than one's opponent.

It is a digital version of the Ayo and played on a rectangular carved board by two players with 12 round pits, 6 on each side
and 48 seeds.

Get the game here: Download.ahagamecenter.com

Which other traditional or childhood african games do you know?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Amujale(m): 4:51pm On Apr 24, 2019
Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba should replace English as the official written languages of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by hyman9ja(m): 12:01pm On May 24, 2019
---------------------------
YorubaWiki (Yoruba Search Engine)
-------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

Proverb: Bi a ba n gun yan ninu odo ti a n se obe ninu epo epa eni ma yo ayo.

Meaning: (If we pound yam in a leaf and cook the soup in a nutshell, those that will get filled up will certainly do).

Read More Here >>> https:///2WA91lH

Visit our Forum and let your voice heard >>> https:///2JlTlzq

Want to know about numbers in Yoruba? Click This Link >>> https:///2YHl7K4

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by jbblues24(m): 9:09pm On Jun 01, 2019
Graceful. Adore the use of typography and layout! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Amujale(m): 2:34pm On Jun 03, 2019
Proverb:

Owo omode ko to pepe, ti agbalagba ko wo keregbe, atiwipe ogbon ologbon kii je ki a pe agba ni omugo.

meaning: youngsters don't possess a high reach, just as the elder’s hands are too spacious as to be able to enter into a tiny gourd, furthermore, someone else’s wisdom (or a foreign knowledge) does not warrant one to call an elderly foolish.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Makaz101: 8:24am On Jun 07, 2019
Please house, can somebody help with the cheapest cemetery in Lagos. Costs and Contacts, Island and preferably mainland. Thank you
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by cheruv: 1:03pm On Jun 17, 2019
gozzlin:

'Biko welu ya nwayoo' is Anambra dialect, in standard Igbo it's 'Biko Were ya nwayoo.' It means: Please take it easy. Or Abeg take am easy. grin
In ikwerre it is "Biko weru ya nwayọ"

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by cheruv: 8:07pm On Jun 17, 2019
euphratess:
abeg how do u say; "you say make you come?" in yoruba and hausa. igbo= isii ka ibia (isii as in 'easy', ka as in 'car', ibia as in 2face name id-"ibia",
I sị ka ị bịa...
In Igbo the pronouns stand alone while the verb actor "I/ị" is written together with the following verb. This makes reading it easier...
Ị bịa (You come)
Ịbịa (to come)
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TJenny: 12:17pm On Jun 24, 2019
Good afternoon everyone. Please what is the meaning of -
[Nkwa, kachofo, omekam Naya in English.
What is my love in ibo language?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TJenny: 12:24pm On Jun 24, 2019
Pls help
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TJenny: 3:51pm On Jun 24, 2019
No response yet? Pls na. I'm still waiting.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by gozzlin: 10:09am On Jun 26, 2019
cheruv:

In ikwerre it is "Biko weru ya nwayọ"

Wow. I wonder why that is very similar to the Anambra pronunciation. I thought Ikwere is very distinct from the Igbo language.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by IniUbom(m): 9:43pm On Jul 03, 2019
CASTRATE OGINI?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by johnaruson(m): 11:24pm On Jul 07, 2019
Chukwu Abiama means: Merciful God = Chukwu means God, Abiama means Obioma, - -
Chukwu Obioma, "OBIOMA " In some Igbo languages pronounce it ABIAMA. * OKIKE means creation. Hence
CHUKWU OKIKE ABIAMA: Merciful GOD OF CREATION..,

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by cheruv: 10:29am On Jul 10, 2019
TJenny:
Good afternoon everyone. Please what is the meaning of -
[Nkwa, kachofo, omekam Naya in English.
What is my love in ibo language?
Nkwa means promise
Ka chi foo means good night or literally let the day brighten
Ome ka nna ya means he who does like his father

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ucham: 9:25am On Aug 01, 2019
gozzlin:

Wow. I wonder why that is very similar to the Anambra pronunciation. I thought Ikwere is very distinct from the Igbo language.
grin
my brother leave those people. Although to be fair, it's some of them that peddle such nonsense that Ikwerre is not a dialect of the Igbo language.
Many of my Ikwerre friends identity fully as Igbo's. They know that the division we have today is political not ethnic or cultural.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StyleAfos(m): 1:04pm On Aug 01, 2019
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 04, 2019
Do we have any Yoruba graduate here and resident in Lagos? Kindly mention me ,ASAP. Thanks
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by spirytsist: 7:56pm On Aug 10, 2019
cheruv:

Nkwa means promise
Ka chi foo means good night or literally let the day brighten
Ome ka nna ya means he who does like his father

I'm not even sure if the person is transcribing the quote correctly, because the whole sentence doesn't make much sense.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by FulaniBandits: 12:40pm On Sep 15, 2019
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by FulaniBandits: 1:07pm On Sep 15, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.