Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,910 members, 7,821,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? (21695 Views)

Everyone Is Born Creative, But It Is Educated Out Of Us At School / Top Ten Most Educated States In Nigeria - WAEC 2016 / When We Say Dentistry And Dental Surgery........its Another Tougher Ministry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by ajepako(f): 6:19pm On Sep 25, 2015
Only when you don't have F9 in Economics like someone we all know grin grin grin grin
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by sonnie10: 6:25pm On Sep 25, 2015
You are educated when you do not constitute nuisances and burden to the society but rather civil, and also help to find solutions to the challenges of your society. Additionally, you must have certain level of quantitative reasoning, behavioral and social knowledge, natural and physical education, humanities and fine art and also be able to read and write the preferred language at above beginner's level.

1 Like

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Standing5(m): 6:27pm On Sep 25, 2015
7Alexander:

Partly true, you can have your HND or your Tech Cert, but that doesnt mean you have the skills. There are Mechanical Engineering graduates who cannot compete with some 'uneducated mechanics' when it comes to the nitty gritties of the workings of vehicles, the engineering graduates can quote all the theories and theorems in the world, but the mechanic has the requisite skills.
The difference is that one is a paper engineer while one is a skilled technician.
Same way one can say i am a political scientist but do not know the number of local govts in his state, or the arithmetic involved in Nigerian election process, or the geopolitical zones in the country. But ask an 'ordinary' grassroot politican these questions and he will surprise you with how much he knows.
So, at the end, certificates do not weigh much, even recruiters have come to realize this, what matters is what you bring to the table
Your comparison is flawed. Mech engr at University level does not prepare you for such task as repairing a vehicle. It may teach u the various types of fan belt systems and their efficiency issues but won't teach how to decouple and install new fan belt. Engineering in University teaches you principles of engineering and not operation of mechanical parts or products
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Originalsly: 6:42pm On Sep 25, 2015
Hmmmm.....when is one considered educated?....must he have certificates or degrees?.....or an indepth knowledge and understanding of a variety of subject matters? .....can your ehmmm..,.educated degreed cousins successfully run the business of the uneducated one?....or they are not educated in that field? If not, then can we say being educated is relative?...relative to the field or environment? Is Warren Buffet educated?.....Is Mugabe educated?...see questions...inbox me for panadol.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Donpressman(m): 6:45pm On Sep 25, 2015
7Alexander:

Partly true, you can have your HND or your Tech Cert, but that doesnt mean you have the skills. There are Mechanical Engineering graduates who cannot compete with some 'uneducated mechanics' when it comes to the nitty gritties of the workings of vehicles, the engineering graduates can quote all the theories and theorems in the world, but the mechanic has the requisite skills.
The difference is that one is a paper engineer while one is a skilled technician.
Same way one can say i am a political scientist but do not know the number of local govts in his state, or the arithmetic involved in Nigerian election process, or the geopolitical zones in the country. But ask an 'ordinary' grassroot politican these questions and he will surprise you with how much he knows.
So, at the end, certificates do not weigh much, even recruiters have come to realize this, what matters is what you bring to the table
Oga you just messed the whole thing up. You don't have to know how to repair a vehicle to be a skilled expert as he said and also if I don't know the number of local government in the state does that make me a bad political scientist? lol What you wrote is so laughable really. I can be a political scientist only giving professional advice to politicians( this is very abstract and involves a lot of projections. on the other hand I might not be able to handle a spanner but knows the nitty gritty of the workings of a vehicle and give advise to an artisan(road side mechanics) Finally, statements like yours from a lay man's point of view is so rampant nowadays by people who are not privy to what been a mechanical engineer is. Cos am one! lol
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Everfrank(m): 6:48pm On Sep 25, 2015
7Alexander:
Ok, i have a cousin who is 27, the father is a big time millionaire, now, this my cousin has 4 other siblings who are all graduates, but he is an SSCE holder. Given that he was not too 'bright' academically, the father had him join the family business when he was 20, this guy speaks and writes English almost as good as the best, speaks fluent French, and has traveled to at least 10 countries outside Africa, and doing extremely well for himself, at 27.

I remember about 5 years ago when i was discussing this my cousin with a friend, and my friend told me that the best thing my cousin will do is to get an education first. And this got me thinking, at what level can we say that one is educated? what exactly is education? does it mean that without 'conventional education' that one will most likely be doomed? is it right to say that all university graduates are educated? is it also right to say that anybody without tertiary institution qualification is not educated?

An educated man is not necessarily he that went to school but "he who knows how to get everything he wants without violating the rights of others"
Most pioneer inventors, entrepreneurs and founders of the present day multinational corporations never saw the four walls of a classroom.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Saylawchar(m): 6:49pm On Sep 25, 2015
horlaleykan:
brb wen it makes fp
**modified***
hmmm u av 2b able 2 differentate SCHOOLING ND EDUCATION... wat most Nigerians call education is 4yrs in d university which is wrong.... a lot of d graduates we av are schooled BT not educated... BT den u see u nid a level of schooling (not university) to get literate... we av a lot of white folks who Neva went 2 d uni and dey are d ones constructing our roads which Nigerian graduates can't do... besides some Nigerian students are just schooled illiterates.... so u see education goes beyond schooling.... education is d quest 4 INFORMATION IN UR PARTICULAR FIELD... IT BEING UNSATISFIED ABOUT UR PRESENT LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE....

so if u can't afford 2 to d university all hope is not loss... be a lover of d library...
so at what point? ITS AT D POINT U CAN PROCESS D INFORMATION IN U TO SOLUTIONS OF HUMAN CHALLENGES

Kudos to you for this great piece..... RESPECT!!!!

1 Like

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 25, 2015
Saylawchar:

Kudos to you for this great piece..... RESPECT!!!!
thanks sir..am humbled
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by bodee(m): 6:56pm On Sep 25, 2015
wunderkiind:
Not every graduate is actually educated in the real sense...

And a high school cert holder might be qualified enough to be referred to as a very educated fellow, it all depends on the way you look at it...

Nowadays that it is very possible to get degrees without even being in a classroom, I.e online, the world is Changing but people don't wanna change with it.

The truth is, you may decide to go to a tertiary institution for 4 or more years after which you get a certificate, and someone else on the other hand, studies the same thing as you, all the books, theory, practicals, etc and even more for the same number of years as you, outside the four walls of a classroom, only doesn't get a certificate, would you then say you are more educated than such a fellow? Obviously not. It wouldn'f be right at all to say such. Not everyone without a 'degree' is uneducated, and vice versa!

So, to answer the question at hand, you have to first of all understand that education in itself is an unending process, i.e a continium, so anyone without the ability to learn, unlearn, and relearn can not be truly educated.
Therefore, when one has acquired the fundamental learning skills, a good appetite for true knowledge, information and, understanding, the ability to inspire and impart information to help others effectively, and to use one's education to improve oneself and others, then at this point it can then be rightly said that one is educated.
well said!
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Bhayomi(m): 7:05pm On Sep 25, 2015
University Certificate is overrated in this part of the world. Our pioneers, cutting across science and technology never attended universities yet they are the foundation upon which the world revolves today.

Jacob Zuma is a high school drop out, yet he is the president of South Africa today and SA is highly rated in Africa. Some of our inventors never had formal education. Just productive thinking leading to tremendous achievement.

Let us invest our time in maximizing our thoughts to produce results, and we will be amazed by how much we can achieve.

Going forward, degrees doesn't guarantee success. It cannot however be undermined because we learn unlearn and relearn everyday.
Knowledge is power.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by fio(m): 7:07pm On Sep 25, 2015
These are what i understand about this subject

*you can be selfeducated(means that someone can educate his,herself formally or informally).
*there is Formal and informal education(the word "education" can not be narrowed down to school alone)
*you can be extremely or highly educated(education has a magnitude and degree)
* you can have a good or bad education

traditionally the understanding of "education" cannot be separated from "schooling" because then schools were so good that hardly can u "graduate" without becoming a "problem solver" but what really happen in schools is that : teachers teach and students learn{they can read(unless blind), write(unless paralysed), can speak(unless dumb), understand, think and apply}. But as time goes on books became accessible and some passionate Individuals can undergo the process above( ie of learning) these as expanded the understanding of "education" to not only physical process(ie process of schooling) but also a mental process(cognitive process). Note that learning is one of the process of education, application is the product. Therefore it is not important logically where and how you undergo the process of education as to the process itself(the process is logically the principal thing). Then one can easily come into conclusion that anyone can get educated anywhere and anyhow eg by schooling, by yourself,by experience etc. Logically to know if one is educated attention should be paid to how they think(reason), how they understand problems and how they approach and solve it. Education also has degree or magnitude it can be ; how well you have learnt and can apply in your desired field or how far you have learnt and can apply in sundry fields. And lastly the concept of education is not complete without moral integration, education is not only about what you can do but also what you can't do or should not do.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Sep 25, 2015
7Alexander:
God is watching you, even if Seun is not
lolzz I kept 2 my word.. so wah do u think bout my writeup
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by gidjah(m): 7:23pm On Sep 25, 2015
I call him TAFFLER DA GREAT!,HE IS A GREAT WRITTER.
SirLegal:
This your cousin is just a "Prototype" (pardon me to use that word) of my Dad. Also stopped at SSCE(as far back as the 70's) but still has a great command of English and also has high level of reasoning, thinking and can assimilate quickly.

According to Alvin Taffler, " The illiterate of the 21st century is not those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot Learn, unlearn and Relearn."

If he can do the last 3, then HE IS EDUCATED.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by gidjah(m): 7:27pm On Sep 25, 2015
That was during the time of the late MASLOV BRO,once you can ;understand people, cope with people, appreciate and bring out the best in people, be ready to learn from everything around you...THEN,MY BRO, U ARE VERY VERY EDUCATED .
basille:
Education is the process of facilitating learning. Knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits of a group of people are transferred to other people, through storytelling, discussion, teaching, training, or research.

However we have so many educated illiterates.

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Yheenusir: 7:29pm On Sep 25, 2015
As far d cousin has o'level and he speaks and writes both english and french.he is good to handle the business. What he needs is to go for part time schooling so as to widen his mentality.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Touchey: 7:41pm On Sep 25, 2015
There is a difference between being educated and being schooled
I've come across some persons that could be called "educated illiterates"
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by heymorce: 7:48pm On Sep 25, 2015
meaning of education is to train your inner faculties to recognise problem and to find solution it.
someone that went to medical school, he is trained to recognise medical problem in the environment and to find solution to it, the same thing applicable to all disciplines.
but the truth is that, not all that passed through university that university passed through them.
and mind you, you can get educated through apprentice.
there is difference between SCHOOLING AND EDUCATION.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by front247: 8:05pm On Sep 25, 2015
Bhayomi:
In my opinion, an educated person is someone who has undergone formal education to a certain level such that he/she can apply what he has learnt to solve real life problems. That can think creatively bring new ideas and impact positively.

1 Like

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by ewizard1: 8:47pm On Sep 25, 2015
Lmao. That moment when that friend who has just SSCE certificate start questioning ones who got BSCs and MSCs certificates.

Now lets ask again... WHO IS EDUCATED?
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by illiad: 9:01pm On Sep 25, 2015
You're all beating about the Bush!

Why don't you all state your academic qualifications before commenting?

As for you Op, your cousin is partially educated a semi illiterate and He knows it.

Education has nothing to do with his success in buying and selling business.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by fascowilly(m): 9:10pm On Sep 25, 2015
Kockane:
That man they call Daura Dul.lard... Even as he no really pass waec, we still vote am and today he is President. Education is overrated jare.

Modified as the topic hits front page:

Please any Nairalander in Abuja sharing Sallah meat? cry

Barka da Sallah, christian or Muslim, we are all one. kiss

But this man is better compare to your clan member fisherman JONA, what are you saying, maybe your emptied-body is in niger while your soul and spirit are in Cameroon.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by fascowilly(m): 9:11pm On Sep 25, 2015
Kockane:
That man they call Daura Dul.lard... Even as he no really pass waec, we still vote am and today he is President. Education is overrated jare.

Modified as the topic hits front page:

Please any Nairalander in Abuja sharing Sallah meat? cry

Barka da Sallah, christian or Muslim, we are all one. kiss

But this man is better compare to your clan member fisherman JONA, what are you saying, maybe your emptied-body is in niger while your soul and spirit are in Cameroon.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by pasol4real(m): 9:14pm On Sep 25, 2015
SirLegal:
This your cousin is just a "Prototype" (pardon me to use that word) of my Dad. Also stopped at SSCE(as far back as the 70's) but still has a great command of English and also has high level of reasoning, thinking and can assimilate quickly.

According to Alvin Taffler, " The illiterate of the 21st century is not those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot Learn, unlearn and Relearn."

If he can do the last 3, then HE IS EDUCATED.
Correction ny bro,Alvin toddler not taffler
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by God2man(m): 9:36pm On Sep 25, 2015
fio:
These are what i understand about this subject
*you can be selfeducated(means that someone can educate his,herself formally or informally).
*there is Formal and informal education(the word "education" can not be narrowed down to school alone)
*you can be extremely or highly educated(education has a magnitude and degree)
* you can have a good or bad education
traditionally the understanding of "education" cannot be separated from "schooling" because then schools were so good that hardly can u "graduate" without becoming a "problem solver" but what really happen in schools is that : teachers teach and students learn{they can read(unless blind), write(unless paralysed), can speak(unless dumb), understand, think and apply}. But as time goes on books became accessible and some passionate Individuals can undergo the process above( ie of learning) these as expanded the understanding of "education" to not only physical process(ie process of schooling) but also a mental process(cognitive process). Note that learning is one of the process of education, application is the product. Therefore it is not important logically where and how you undergo the process of education as to the process itself(the process is logically the principal thing). Then one can easily come into conclusion that anyone can get educated anywhere and anyhow eg by schooling, by yourself,by experience etc. Logically to know if one is educated attention should be paid to how they think(reason), how they understand problems and how they approach and solve it. Education also has degree or magnitude it can be ; how well you have learnt and can apply in your desired field or how far you have learnt and can apply in sundry fields. And lastly the concept of education is not complete without moral integration, education is not only about what you can do but also what you can't do or should not do.

May be I will go for this
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by butanep(m): 10:14pm On Sep 25, 2015
I am just here to learn, unlearn and relearn.

Paper certificate is overrated in this part of the country. You don't need to be issued a paper before classified as being "educated". Most of our pioneer scientists never went to the four walls of the university. They were able to make productive use their knowledge via creative thinking.

As far you can read, communicate effectively, use your basic knowledge to solve problems, educate others, applied your skills in problem solving, then you are highly educated.

Check most of the owners of private universities in Nigeria, they never went to tertiary university but they control and pay those with Phd's.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by SirLegal(m): 10:32pm On Sep 25, 2015
pasol4real:
Correction ny bro,Alvin toddler not taffler
Its Toffler bro. Its neither Taffler nor Toddler.
Mistook the "o" for "a"
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Sakes: 12:28am On Sep 26, 2015
Well,
The Misconception here is the term "EDUCATION"
I will make my Opinion very concise;

There are two(2) types of Education:
FORMAL & INFORMAL Education

What the Op meant to convey here is the FORMAL type of EDUCATION.

FORMAL EDUCATION is actually a system of relative Indoctrination...based on INSTITUtionalised principles of Social Objective....I.e used to be anyway, till SCIENCE became the new Trusted System... Science is the new independent Liberal claim to means....
Before now the systems of learning mainly served to indoctrinate people to cultural & social pattern of behaviour... I.e taming people to be conformists & supposedly refined.
All that's changed with a heightened understanding of nature....today. Most course including the most Prestigeous are actually artificial in the sense that they represent only social reality, even LANGUAges are in this category.
When you enter CHINA with your ENGLISH LITERACY, & Character YOU understand that you don't qualify for LITERATE!!!!
More than half the World does not speak ENGLISH!!! Even CAMEROON here....
SO, There's actually no STANDARD except that which society creates to regulate its BUREACRACY!!! The WHITES gave us ENGLISH & rewarded the knowledge with Certificate so we can be encouraged to understand them.

SO neither the YOUNG MAN nor his graduates friends is quite better off in knowledge as you may suppose.. They can only be better in the achievement of their relative LIFE PURPOSE!!!
It CAN be money & cars for one, & the Understanding of LIFE for another...
The knowledge can be acquired either way: FORMALLY or INFORMALLY!!!
What is important is knowing what to do to get one's preference!!!!
But, there's also TALENT & SKILL. Those are different!!!!
FORD by the way never went to School, nor the Orville brothers, but they built, patented, grew industries!!!!

But, knowledge is a means, not an end!!!

THE HIGHEST point of KNOWLEDGE however is to understand that we know NOTHING!!!

EDUCATION is just term that shows means....
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by InvertedHammer: 3:52am On Sep 26, 2015
7Alexander:
Ok, i have a cousin who is 27, the father is a big time millionaire, now, this my cousin has 4 other siblings who are all graduates, but he is an SSCE holder. Given that he was not too 'bright' academically, the father had him join the family business when he was 20, this guy speaks and writes English almost as good as the best, speaks fluent French, and has traveled to at least 10 countries outside Africa, and doing extremely well for himself, at 27.

I remember about 5 years ago when i was discussing this my cousin with a friend, and my friend told me that the best thing my cousin will do is to get an education first. And this got me thinking, at what level can we say that one is educated? what exactly is education? does it mean that without 'conventional education' that one will most likely be doomed? is it right to say that all university graduates are educated? is it also right to say that anybody without tertiary institution qualification is not educated?

/
Education is a very broad topic. But from your discussion with your friend in this case, it seems he meant university education (having university certificate). Does it make any difference? I don't know but there is something about passing the university phase in life that makes a difference. Your friend may be right. Your 27-years old cousin is good though but could be better. He is enlightened but not formally educated just as a whole lot of educated people are not enlightened. Take NL folks for example (**I just have to railroad NLers into this discussion)

\
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by PecE2Make: 9:01am On Sep 26, 2015
When you can distinguish between good and bad then you are educated.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Greatfes17: 9:49am On Sep 26, 2015
you will know you are educated when you know that you know nothing and you dont allow your limited knowledge hinder you creativity
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by SenatorJames(m): 1:36pm On Sep 26, 2015
Youngsage:

grin grin grin

doesn't look like an educated spacebooker or is he? lmao
does he?
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Isk(f): 5:24pm On Sep 26, 2015
I believe what your friend is referring to is a formal education. Your cousin has acquired an informal, business education which has launched him into the success he enjoys today. Your friend however is correct. If you can afford it, you might as well get your self acquainted with courses that will help you better with your business. It doesn't have to be getting a BSc. Or any of that. Nowadays there are different professional coursesto meet the needs of just about anyone.
Street smarts will only get you so far

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The David Oyedepo Foundation Calls For Full Scholarship Applications / 5-Year-Old Boy Who "Repairs Motorcycles" In Makurdi Benue, To Raise School Fees / JAMB Delists 76 Exam Centres, Appoints SAN To Prosecute 100 Suspects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.