Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,330 members, 7,826,308 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? (21705 Views)

Everyone Is Born Creative, But It Is Educated Out Of Us At School / Top Ten Most Educated States In Nigeria - WAEC 2016 / When We Say Dentistry And Dental Surgery........its Another Tougher Ministry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by alpontif(m): 4:37pm On Sep 25, 2015
7Alexander:

Partly true, you can have your HND or your Tech Cert, but that doesnt mean you have the skills. There are Mechanical Engineering graduates who cannot compete with some 'uneducated mechanics' when it comes to the nitty gritties of the workings of vehicles, the engineering graduates can quote all the theories and theorems in the world, but the mechanic has the requisite skills.
The difference is that one is a paper engineer while one is a skilled technician.
Same way one can say i am a political scientist but do not know the number of local govts in his state, or the arithmetic involved in Nigerian election process, or the geopolitical zones in the country. But ask an 'ordinary' grassroot politican these questions and he will surprise you with how much he knows.
So, at the end, certificates do not weigh much, even recruiters have come to realize this, what matters is what you bring to the table

Hello,

Apologies for calling you out, but I keep seeing statements like yours all over the place pretending to Know what mechanical engineering is all about. If you dont know, Mechanical Engineering is very different from what auto technicians do. Automobile Engineering is a small aspect of Mechanical Engineering, The Fact that someone graduates college as a Mechanical Engineer does not mean that person has any special Knowledge about automobiles. There are way more interesting specialties under Mechanical Engineering. Mechanical Engineers are different from Mechanics, who are mostly taken to be people who tinker with machines, not necessarily automobiles. So please stop spewing ignorance in attempting to seem informed on what Professionals should Know how to do.

ThanKs

2 Likes

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by PublicAssurance: 4:38pm On Sep 25, 2015
[size=18pt]You don't need a degree to be educated.....Abraham Lincoln never had any formal education but he was one of the best attorneys in Illinois[/size]
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by engrjacuzzi: 4:38pm On Sep 25, 2015
when you have made big millions and cool investment.....
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 25, 2015
sdindan:
When ever the person joined APC
And can win election with propaganda
Example Buhari cheesy
You're funny shall . I remember My friend's prof asked for his thesis and provided statement of result instead by making reference to our president scenario.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by ikusdaddy: 4:40pm On Sep 25, 2015
There is no point one will attain that he is educated, education is continues process that involve all aspect of life, Ones view and approaches towards things differs n determine ones level of education. since u can not know everything but ready to learn new things gives u an opportunity to tag ursef as someone who is well informed.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by PublicAssurance: 4:41pm On Sep 25, 2015
[size=18pt]You are considered educated after you take Jagabanology 101 and Jagabanology 007 at the University of Toronto[/size]

1 Like

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by debonairprinx(m): 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2015
So, to answer the question at hand, you have to first of all understand that education in itself is an unending process, i.e a continium, so anyone without the ability to learn, unlearn, and relearn can not be truly educated.
Therefore, when one has acquired the fundamental learning skills, a good appetite for true knowledge, information and, understanding, the ability to inspire and impart information to help others effectively, and to use one's education to improve oneself and others, then at this point it can then be rightly said that one is educated.[/quote]

You can't explain it more than this, you really made a point here. Not until we start seeing acquiring education out of the four walls of a school structure, the quest for knowledge won't grow. The formality of it makes it boring, but it remain necessary.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Bhayomi(m): 4:43pm On Sep 25, 2015
In my opinion, an educated person is someone who has undergone formal education to a certain level such that he/she can apply what he has learnt to solve real life problems. That can think creatively bring new ideas and impact positively.

1 Like

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Karleb(m): 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2015
7Alexander:

on the spot! apart from the points you have made, i for one thinks that 'conventional' education is overrated in Nigeria, and in the quest for this 'education' people give too much emphasis to paper qualification. I have met people that are SSCE holders, but on my word, you can only know when they tell you, these set of people are as polished, sophisticated as they come. Whereas you can meet 'educated' ones who can barely make or write a complete sentence and timid.
Today we have universities in every nook and cranny of the society breeding a pitiable set of 'graduates'. Afterall a graduate is a graduate
I am of the opinion that first and foremost one should give acquisition of wisdom utmost attention while also acquiring necessary people skills.

Nice points. But I beg to disagree that the conventional education is overrated in this nation. Only a minimal percent of student(mostly in tertiary school) obtain loan to settle their school fees but over there in the west, it's the norm for students to obtain loan to pay school fees which might take them a lifetime to pay. I believe this point alone nolifies the notion that the convention education is overrated in Nigeria.

What actually makes education seem overrated over here is that fact that aspiring graduates et jobless graduates fails to think beyond the scope of their degree, they fail to inculcate the entrepreneurial mindset. They'll rather blame GEJ/Sarkaki rather than acquire a skill that'll make them stand out, a skill that'll bring something reasonable to the table even in the midst of unemployment.

1 Like

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by rastery: 4:46pm On Sep 25, 2015
Thank you for this particular topic,most time people tend to look at education from the western perspective I.e primary,secondary and tertiary education,meanwhile this aspect is fast fading but not loosing its glory!! So many influential people had to drop out to face their true calling,in my own opinion one should rather look inward and discover him or herself very early in life in order to achieve success,some will say money is not success I agree but whatever gives you fulfilment as a person I consider that as success,the likes of lionel messi,christiano Ronaldo,Neyma I don't think these guys learn how to play football in a classroom,Neither do Bill gates develop his microsoft conglomerate within a university wall,this particular decision of education also has to do with parents,once you observe your Son or Daughter is talented in a field encourage the lad in any way you can and you will see that the sky will be the starting point.

1 Like

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 25, 2015
unhh?
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Takim107(f): 4:48pm On Sep 25, 2015
The point I am now.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by marqueetim(m): 4:55pm On Sep 25, 2015
I see Education to mean your reasoning has reached a high level, your communication skill adequate and ability to perform certain minimum task with efficacy and ethically.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2015
LordMecuzy:

e dey front page now
yeaah av modified it...thanks..
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by marqueetim(m): 4:58pm On Sep 25, 2015
Yh lovely idea. That is why I must study my children's interest and potentials from a young age and not wait for them to go to University before realizing their potentials. The world is getting super competitive and there is a paradigm shift to Skill based careers.
rastery:
Thank you for this particular topic,most time people tend to look at education from the western perspective I.e primary,secondary and tertiary education,meanwhile this aspect is fast fading but not loosing its glory!! So many influential people had to drop out to face their true calling,in my own opinion one should rather look inward and discover him or herself very early in life in order to achieve success,some will say money is not success I agree but whatever gives you fulfilment as a person I consider that as success,the likes of lionel messi,christiano Ronaldo,Neyma I don't think these guys learn how to play football in a classroom,Neither do Bill gates develop his microsoft conglomerate within a university wall,this particular decision of education also has to do with parents,once you observe your Son or Daughter is talented in a field encourage the lad in any way you can and you will see that the sky will be the starting point.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by idrissunny: 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2015
Going to the 4 world of any tertiary institution is not what is take to be educated rather the application of what you have learn to serve common problems which are not always common
7Alexander:
Ok, i have a cousin who is 27, the father is a big time millionaire, now, this my cousin has 4 other siblings who are all graduates, but he is an SSCE holder. Given that he was not too 'bright' academically, the father had him join the family business when he was 20, this guy speaks and writes English almost as good as the best, speaks fluent French, and has traveled to at least 10 countries outside Africa, and doing extremely well for himself, at 27.

I remember about 5 years ago when i was discussing this my cousin with a friend, and my friend told me that the best thing my cousin will do is to get an education first. And this got me thinking, at what level can we say that one is educated? what exactly is education? does it mean that without 'conventional education' that one will most likely be doomed? is it right to say that all university graduates are educated? is it also right to say that anybody without tertiary institution qualification is not educated?

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Youngsage: 5:00pm On Sep 25, 2015
Takim107:
The point I am now.
which is??
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by ebony2011(m): 5:01pm On Sep 25, 2015
when you are proficient on Facebook,twitter,whatsapp,bbm.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by FtLawi: 5:04pm On Sep 25, 2015
LordMecuzy:
in 1970's to early 80's when you had SSCE your parents will kill a goat in celebration that their son is educated and has 5 credits in SSCE...

From early 80's to early 90's your parents will kill a cow that you are now educated as a graduate from a tertiary institution.. Bsc/Hnd/BA etc..

From 90's to 2000 your parents will kill a cow that you are now educated with a Masters degree .. Msc/Ma etc

From 2000 till date without PhD you are still regarded as Uneducated...

Nigeria Wahala...
lol
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by dayotheone(m): 5:12pm On Sep 25, 2015
at no point, Cos education continue till u die..

but I can still, say at the point of death
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by temblor(m): 5:21pm On Sep 25, 2015
Pls do the needful: enquire of bubu from Femi Adesina[quote][/quote]
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by mmsen: 5:25pm On Sep 25, 2015
When you realize that Buhari is not fit to be President of his village not to speak of a federal republic then you can claim to be 'educated'.

To answer the question directly.

It sounds as though your cousin (OP) has practical knowledge, he can communicate effectively, which is the most important trait in business.

Whether he has SSCE or not does not matter if he can provide for himself.

There's many an unemployed university graduate, not just in Nigeria but globally. Equally there are people who went to trade school or taught themselves in a trade who have since found a comfortable living. Which would you prefer?

1 Like

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by neocortex: 5:44pm On Sep 25, 2015
7Alexander:
Ok, i have a cousin who is 27, the father is a big time millionaire, now, this my cousin has 4 other siblings who are all graduates, but he is an SSCE holder. Given that he was not too 'bright' academically, the father had him join the family business when he was 20, this guy speaks and writes English almost as good as the best, speaks fluent French, and has traveled to at least 10 countries outside Africa, and doing extremely well for himself, at 27.

I remember about 5 years ago when i was discussing this my cousin with a friend, and my friend told me that the best thing my cousin will do is to get an education first. And this got me thinking, at what level can we say that one is educated? what exactly is education? does it mean that without 'conventional education' that one will most likely be doomed? is it right to say that all university graduates are educated? is it also right to say that anybody without tertiary institution qualification is not educated?

Wailer , are you indirectly mocking our presdident

Being educated means being able to make new meaning from old knowledge.
It might be practical or theoretical.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 25, 2015
Op wat is d nature of d family business,does it warrant him travelling about,if yes then his brilliance cld be linked to exposure,brilliance has always been linked to exposure?
7Alexander:

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by chris4gold(m): 5:54pm On Sep 25, 2015
ability to build from within, to be creative, self discipline and so on. Then you are educated!
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by 989900: 6:00pm On Sep 25, 2015
So, to answer the question at hand, you have to first of all understand that education in itself is an unending process, i.e a continium, so anyone without the ability to learn, unlearn, and relearn can not be truly educated.

End of . . .
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Achilies(m): 6:01pm On Sep 25, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]
wunderkiind:
Not every graduate is actually educated in the real sense...

And a high school cert holder might be qualified enough to be referred to as a very educated fellow, it all depends on the way you look at it...

Nowadays that it is very possible to get degrees without even being in a classroom, I.e online, the world is Changing but people don't wanna change with it.

The truth is, you may decide to go to a tertiary institution for 4 or more years after which you get a certificate, and someone else on the other hand, studies the same thing as you, all the books, theory, practicals, etc and even more for the same number of years as you, outside the four walls of a classroom, only doesn't get a certificate, would you then say you are more educated than such a fellow? Obviously not. It wouldn'f be right at all to say such. Not everyone without a 'degree' is uneducated, and vice versa!

Therefore, when one has acquired the fundamental learning skills, a good appetite for true knowledge, information and, understanding, the ability to inspire and impart information to help others effectively, and to use one's education to improve oneself and others, then at this point it can then be rightly said that one is educated.

Guy u get sense.
For this post alone may u leave longer and more prosperous than ur ancestors.

This is what I keep telling people for the fact that a person did attend university does not make that person an illiterate

1 Like

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by metorichmond(m): 6:02pm On Sep 25, 2015
Which dirty university, what u need is basic education which is ability to read n write, a secondary school is enough.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Lamasta(m): 6:05pm On Sep 25, 2015
The best EDUCATION in life is watching the masters at work....Micheal Jackson

You get educated when you learn that something is impossible and against all odds you make it possible......
All what the school teaches today are all made or done by those who are never students but devote there time, energy and resources to make it work which are what we are learning today in school...Example 1
Micheal Faraday is just a laboratory assistant that is a mere servant when He worked on Electrolysis that was used to conduct current and was adjudged world acclaimed scientist..
Bill Gates is a dropout but today he produces what even the school itself uses to teach people ie computer...etc
Conclusion: The point you become educated is the point you create something from nothing and make the environment benefits from it to the extent they want to learn from You.....
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by kevoh(m): 6:08pm On Sep 25, 2015
He can read, write, speak good English and French, travelled a lot, a millionaire who knows the nitty-gritty of his multi-millionaire Father's business which he stands to inherit one day and employ hundreds of so-called educated graduates(both Foreign and Local). Man, f*ck University certificate education! This guy is already made!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by CHYMZZY(m): 6:12pm On Sep 25, 2015
One can be EDUCATED through formal or informal acquistion of knowledge. Anybody is prone to new thing by what he see's, hear or work on to become a pro. Talkin' about Exprience here, we feed in knowledge as information obtained and produce a better output base on what we feed in..
So talkin' about what point one could be said to be educated, IS A POINT IN TIME WHERE ONE IS JUDGED BASE ON WHAT HE IS ABLE TO PRODUCE INTELLECTUALLY..

CHYMZZY WAS HERE.
Re: At What Point Can We Say That One Is Educated? by Reference(m): 6:13pm On Sep 25, 2015
By reading the headline alone I will say, one can be said to be educated when....he or she believes there is a bigger underlying problem plaguing this nation apart from corruption, the owners of Nigeria so desperately want covered up so they throw bones of confusion into governance and watching the hungry masses yapping.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Students Protest Over ASUU Strike In Ibadan (Photos) / Great Ife Student Union Leaders Is Yet To Present Any Budget. / 28 Collocation Mistakes Made By Nigerians With Corrections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.