Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? (18764 Views)

What Are The Things You Will Like Your Church To Change? / Is It Right For A Church To Be Located In An Hotel Premises? / Stephanie Otobo's Mother & Sister At Apostle Suleman's Church To Beg (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Gabflex: 3:19pm On Sep 27, 2015
Football is a game that is meant to played among both sex and irrespective of age.

But the way people are taking this football of a thing is getting out of hand, imagine a youth brother going to watch a football match on sunday morning instead of worshiping GOD in church.

It is not bad to play football, but play at the right time. And not when you are suppose to be in GOD presence.

I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:
l plead with you in the name of the Lord to jettison your idea it is inspiration from hell. l used to love football until one day the Lord showed me how deep He detests football in the church or church getting involved. In addition He frown at TV stations own by churches from showing it. He said worldly news casting in these stations also infuriate Him. Please always ask Holy Spirit before you introduce anything to the church.

Shalom.
I want to shoot u with gun, u are mad o, football is not demonic, my church has a football team.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Eddodoh(m): 3:22pm On Sep 27, 2015
Pyrrho:
Na only you dey receive signals from heaven?
The Lord showed you
He detests football
He frowns at TV stations
He also gets infuriated

Guy you try.

Your god sounds more like a man.
Thank u 4 dis comment. I dnt know why some pple behave as if dey have seen God b4. Just lyk we have Muslim fanatics we also have christian fanatics.

I will have take u out 4 a nice treat if i know where u stay. Lolzz!!!
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by superstar3: 3:25pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:
l plead with you in the name of the Lord to jettison your idea it is inspiration from hell. l used to love football until one day the Lord showed me how deep He detests football in the church or church getting involved. In addition He frown at TV stations own by churches from showing it. He said worldly news casting in these stations also infuriate Him. Please always ask Holy Spirit before you introduce anything to the church.

Shalom.

Does having talent/skill for football playing come from the devil only and God cannot give such talent? Is it a sin for professional footballer to pay tithe/offering. If your answer to these questions is NO, then you heard from the devil not God.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by fejicruz(m): 3:32pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:

Shalom.
Remaining for you to say you died and went to heaven & hell.
What is "bodily exercise" the Bible was referring to in 1 Timothy 4:8?
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto:
hmm. but there are 'peaceful' things that God abhors also. E.g sex.

sex is peaceful and it is in 'any language', but yet God still detest it

thinking has to be hard for some people. sex is detested by God REALLY? like are you for real? OK, so we are meant to reproduce how? by vomiting our kids?
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by lordmario(m): 4:04pm On Sep 27, 2015
If football is a sin, I wonder where the talent came from. #ThinkingLoud
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nweike1: 4:11pm On Sep 27, 2015
ajoskele:
Pretence and "holier-than-thou" attitude of most churchgoers..
Op doesn't really understand the essence and dynamics of football and sports.
Mountain Of Fire Ministries(MFM) won the world church football competition in faraway Asia. Where did those other teams they beat came from? We are now holier than even the whites that introduced christianity to us. Now MFM has been promoted to the NPFL.
A team parades nothing less than 23 players. Do you know 23 families' lives would be upgraded?
Engage your pastor. Tell him the Youth needs a sports unit. Organise matches, friendlies and competitions. Convince the wealthy and the rich in your church to sponsor you. You might not know you are even fulflling God's plan for your life. You may be the stepping stone for that talent with no sponsor, money and exposure.
It's not a sin, sir!!
Great logic, my brother

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nweike1: 4:11pm On Sep 27, 2015
ajoskele:
Mountain Of Fire Ministries(MFM) won the world church football competition in faraway Asia. Where did those other teams they beat came from? We are now holier than even the whites that introduced christianity to us. Now MFM has been promoted to the NPFL.
A team parades nothing less than 23 players. Do you know 23 families' lives would be upgraded?
Engage your pastor. Tell him the Youth needs a sports unit. Organise matches, friendlies and competitions. Convince the wealthy and the rich in your church to sponsor you. You might not know you are even fulflling God's plan for your life. You may be the stepping stone for that talent with no sponsor, money and exposure.
It's not a sin, sir!!

Great logic, my brother

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 27, 2015
0gbeni:
I think its a great idea and a lot of churches have football/sports units and they are still spiritually strong. .sports can also be a way of unifying our churches

Kingbilo:
Go for it... Sports is a great way to bring in new members and establish a greater sense of community and well-being

thanks to You folks in abundance, for such an insightful discretional contribution.

They are well recieved!
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 27, 2015
Gabflex:
Football is a game that is meant to played among both sex and irrespective of age.

But the way people are taking this football of a thing is getting out of hand, imagine a youth brother going to watch a football match on sunday morning instead of worshiping GOD in church.

It is not bad to play football, but play at the right time. And not when you are suppose to be in GOD presence.

I rest my case.
very sagacious. thanks
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 27, 2015
Tamee:

Pls if football had been invented in the time of Jesus, his disciples would make a team while Jesus would be the coach. No sport is evil seeing that youths need an avenue to expend energy. Football promotes unity and friendship amongst youths who would otherwise engage in less-dignifying activities.
So, try and decipher the spirit talking to you, too many strange spirits in our land.
Shalom Brother cheesy

@blueto, go ahead with your plan.
Football for men, Volleyball for women and invite me to your church wink
You can name your Team the 'Giants of Zion' lolgrin

hehehe

maybe you will become the head coach grin

Thanks for your motivational assertion.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by akinsmyk(m): 4:21pm On Sep 27, 2015
ajoskele:
It's not a sin, sir!!

Bless you sir. You expressed my mind more than I thought myself. I used to be a member of MFM, before it got that large, there was a football competion between zones and regions of the church throughout the Nation. Can you believe that many youths started coming to church because of the football competition going on. Winners in all regions then represented their state in a competition played @ d Prayer city. Though some youth left after the competition but lots remained members till death. They now believed they could attain the utmost height in football, with prayer, hardwork nd grace of God while living a holy life. I'm not surprised that some xtians want to tell us that they are even holier than Jesus. Nah dem xabi....I am sure if the GO of MFM wasn't convinced, he won't lay the idea, now see the idea is 60% a success and its still a work in progress. Go see the record and statistics, since it began in MFM, more youth are turning in to Christ. MFM FC is a club with a difference, no match fixing, bribery or other corrupt practices find in other clubs. Mind you, the football club is a separate unit that has nothing to do with church activities...there is a body/committee seeing to that with no direct relationship with church activities. Not only Football, there is a music unit, drama/acting nd so on where the youth of the church can fulfil their dreams religiously. If there are gospeel artists/actors like mount zion films, Tope Alabi, Frank Edwards, I see no reason why you can't play football as a believer. Let's stop this hypocrisy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by manchester1: 4:27pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:

Shalom.
all I c is d effect of weed in ur body. never drag d name of God in mud. i don't thing u r xtain
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:

Shalom.
You sabi lie oo
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by donspero(m): 4:57pm On Sep 27, 2015
juicee1:
This is what hppens when the church leaves its calling and duty to go meddle in affairs that doesn't relate to it.

What has sport got to do with the work of Christ?

I'll advice you to gather those youths nd use them to preach the word of God instead of kicking some football and making it look like you're doing God's work. Face the duty given to you as a christian which football is not part of. Sports in church is distraction. Don't bring the world into the church. Play your football outside while you face the work of God inside.

This is exactly what happens when christianity becomes dumb-down. Christiansno longer have tasks cos their pastors only require money from them. How many of you would be thinking of hosting football games as a christian hd it been you existed in the time Roman soldiers where persecuting christians nd killing them? Now that christianity has become soft and more worldly with people seeing it as fun all because pastors don't give difficult tasks like going to preach in the Northeast, you now want to start enjoying more by playing football in church. Someone even said it's just football and nothing more...it helpd build the talent of youths in the church. Why don't we bring in modelling and break dancing also?

If you know the task Yahshua christ gve christians nd how far behind they are, you won't even be thinking about sleeping talkless of playing football even outside the church as a true christian.

God when would our stupidity stop? Football kwa is no satanic! Nigerians are just over the top, from ur yahshua am guessing ur a witness, U guys have one of the best sporting faclity in the US.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by kuzze: 5:03pm On Sep 27, 2015
It's a very interesting thread, and I salute ur courage in bringing this topic to dis forum, and most of the comments are quite sound.
You said urself - 'But I feel skeptical about this innovation because it is unbiblical. Thus, it may be unacceptable to God.' if u don't feel comfortable about it, I suggest u ditch the idea. I am a football lover myself, however I believe that what belongs to Caesar shld be given to Caesar and to God to God. [Jesus didn't condemn tax in old Israel, i don't think He condemns football as well] but -
You only need to ask urself what is d purpose of d church as an establishment of God, and does forming a football society especially considering d peculiarity of this times fall in line with God's purpose for the church?
Football today is a god [if u know what I mean as compared to what it used to be] look at the betting, gambling, politics, money involved etc [it takes grace not to be carried away with the attendant fanatism] . Can u control it when it gets out of hand [because it definitely will]
The MFM football example is a sound argument, but for me i believe the things of God cannot be rationalized in all cases. Just because A does it doesn't mean it is right for B. See James 4v17. Please note that attending church one billion times a year doesn't make u Christian, so u can't measure attendance to church on the basis/attraction to football as a yardstick of for making heaven.
If u think it has no biblical foundation then just ditch it [don't rationalize what u find uncomfortable from people's opinion, it doesn't work that way] and let d church conduct the business it is called for. There zillion other ways to foster social interaction and development among Christian youths without sports.
If u feel inclined to have a football department or unit, u can start one in ur area. While in school, i once heard of a football game organized by my Fellowship on a Sunday morning as a mode for evangelism that ended with about 30 people coming out for conversation, it felt really felt good, because it was NESSESARY for purpose which it accomplished. The question no can answer is if at least one of them is still standing based on the convertion today. Sports is definitely a crowd mover, it will attract people to ur church, but will it attract them to God. This wouldn't be an example if a fight had ensued during the game on dat day.
I agree people may need bodily excersice, [which though profits a little- on earth] so some people may need sports, but you will agree with me that based on d evidence of the times we are, what the church needs today is not football but a Revival. Let's enjoy the EPL, LA liga, NPFL, even those skillful boys that tap monkey post around the corner, but let's play our roles in our part of members of this Glorious body of CHRIST. I'm not infallible and so my opinion may be wrong, nevertheless I'm convinced, until convinced/confused otherwise.
Wait first- How will u feel going through a torrid time in ur marriage, job, finance, education or even in a dilemma in ur career, and u mask ur face with a smile and ur new Xmas lace, carrying ur own-personal burden to God with ur Bible tucked under your right arm, and then ur Pastor mounts the pulpit and he is telling ur how Niger tornados beat Akwa United, or giving u the latest on the rugby world Cup. GOD bless you guys.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by samscholes: 5:04pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:

Shalom.
abeg sir,pls clarify how did God reveal this secret to you?
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by MightySparrow: 5:16pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto:
I have the privilege of being a Youth executive in my Church. And since I enamour football, I have been thinking of initiating and establishing a football group, were we can train and organise friendly matches with other Churches as well.

But I feel skeptical about this innovation because it is unbiblical. Thus, it may be unacceptable to God.

So I am don't know if it is really right to proceed with the idea.

Please I need your advise. Your contributions will be well appreciated.

What isn't biblical in football? You mean there was a sport called football in the time of Jesus? If Jesus didn't attend a wedding some of us will say wedding is not biblical but marriage is since there was one in Eden.
We are over spiritualising issues. The youths are full of raw energy they want to use. You cannot tame it by making them obey dogmas that is why some lucky one get into military or sadly some militancy, prostitution, crime etc.
If it being laid on your heart to add the unit to your church gladly do. You may be helping certain youths to mould enviable destinies.
Best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by henshj(m): 5:42pm On Sep 27, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]
just4now:

Shalom.
wink
just4now:

Shalom.
please how do you God is pleased in one thing and pissed up in another? Even the holy spirit your talking about you know nothing about His personality. OP, please go along with your plans.

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by kuzze: 5:45pm On Sep 27, 2015
MightySparrow:

What isn't biblical in football? You mean there was a sport called football in the time of Jesus? If Jesus didn't attend a wedding some of us will say wedding is not biblical but marriage is since there was one in Eden.
We are over spiritualising issues. The youths are full of raw energy they want to use. You cannot tame it by making them obey dogmas that is why some lucky one get into military or sadly some militancy, prostitution, crime etc.
If it being laid on your heart to add the unit to your church gladly do. You may be helping certain youths to mould enviable destinies.
Best of luck.

Nice observation, but 'Overspiritualising issues?' Of course, it's allowed naw. Hey! We are talking about a church here. Are u blaming societal mishaps on d church because they don't have a sports unit? THAT sounds cruel.
If anybody is convinced about lauching a sports team in his/her church - good luck. But let's just be sure we are helping this person make a justifiable decision, cos it's between his conscience and God right now.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by phelpy: 5:50pm On Sep 27, 2015
If u peruse thru d scriptures, u ll deduce dt everything God does is geered towards one thing.."Salvation of souls"..There re some souls dt u ll never get to xcept thru football...so u see..hvin a soccer team is strategic...to attract d youths...but u knw ur ultimate goal...establishing them in tbe faith...God bless u..
Yours Sincerely

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by REALIKUKU: 6:32pm On Sep 27, 2015
even the scripture says in 1Timothy 4:8 that :for bodily exercise profiteth little. It could also be a strong tool for spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. pls don't delay to start it.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Tope4242(m): 7:15pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto post=38419 390:

how many people have you preach 2 today?.. .. so you cannot win soul for through football match
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by blef2014: 7:15pm On Sep 27, 2015
There’s absolutely nothing wrong in having a football unit in the church. We had one in my church and we use it to engage Area Boys in football competition and in the process some gave their life to God. To us the sole aim is to get DE BOYS out of the wood and propagate The Gospel of Jesus Christ to them. Evangelism has gone beyond handling a microphone.
Even the greatest evangelist Paul in the book of 1st Corinthians 9. 20-23 Says ''and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak.
I have become all things to all men that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel's sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.’’
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by vainfairy7474: 7:22pm On Sep 27, 2015
blueto:
I have the privilege of being a Youth executive in my Church. And since I enamour football, I have been thinking of initiating and establishing a football group, were we can train and organise friendly matches with other Churches as well.

But I feel skeptical about this innovation because it is unbiblical. Thus, it may be unacceptable to God.

So I am don't know if it is really right to proceed with the idea.

Please I need your advise. Your contributions will be well appreciated.

who be this
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Ayanfe2074: 7:49pm On Sep 27, 2015
The motive you want to bring out of the football match should be noticed.
But i will rather choice that you do sport evangelism. That is, going to major fields where teams do do their training and preach to them...
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by MightySparrow: 8:32pm On Sep 27, 2015
kuzze:

Nice observation, but 'Overspiritualising issues?' Of course, it's allowed naw. Hey! We are talking about a church here. Are u blaming societal mishaps on d church because they don't have a sports unit? THAT sounds cruel.
If anybody is convinced about lauching a sports team in his/her church - good luck. But let's just be sure we are helping this person make a justifiable decision, cos it's between his conscience and God right now.

The church has contributed a lor to the mishap of the country: most if the worldly singers we have now started from church _- Dbamj, Lagbaja etc, during their days and ours as youths there were so many draconian rules that made people heavenly relevant and earthly useless.
In our time you could almost disabuse a christian not to read Law, Hotel Management not to talk or running one. Christianity is for the TOTAL MAN. Is it goal post or the referee, the leather ball that is the sinner or sin?
My own advice: anything that is not sinful is good for a Christian. In my own church we take our youths out to play football with local boys and use the half time to preach. It works. I strongly believe those won on the pitch and have continued with Christ and still play football are not candidates of hell.
My opinion anyway.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by blef2014: 8:36pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:

Shalom.

Please don’t try to paint Christianity as if is a kind of cult, that cannot be verified or validate. If you’ve a peculiar encounter I will agree with on that but to generalize it that football is evil! Is like throwing a baby away with the bath water.
That’s pure religion and I know that religion is deadly. Please came out of it bro. there is nothing wrong in having a football unit within church I can attest to lives been saved from our football encounter with AREA BOYS in my church. But like with every other good thing that can turns bad due our attitude towards it. If it replaces God in your life then it becomes an Idol, is good but you decided to turn it so. That makes you the bad one not the football!
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by blef2014: 8:38pm On Sep 27, 2015
just4now:

Shalom.

Please don’t try to paint Christianity as if is a kind of cult, that cannot be verified or validate. If you’ve a peculiar encounter I will agree with on that but to generalize it that football is evil! Is like throwing a baby away with the bath water.
That’s pure religion and I know that religion is deadly. Please came out of it bro. there is nothing wrong in having a football unit within church I can attest to lives been saved from our football encounter with AREA BOYS in my church. But like with every other good thing that can turns bad due our attitude towards it. If it replaces God in your life then it becomes an Idol, is good but you decided to turn it so. That makes you the bad one not the football!
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by olowolekan(m): 9:11pm On Sep 27, 2015
May God help us.lie, deceit, and wrong tackles are common in football .its only God who can save us.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? by Bobbyunitedfc(m): 9:17pm On Sep 27, 2015
alphaconde:
As long as they don't call themselves RED DEVILS

LMAOOOOOO

MANCHESTER UNITED FOR LIFE BRO....IS DAT A SIN TOO?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pastor Enoch Adeboye Celebrates His 79th Birthday Today / Comparison Between The Bible And Quran With Proof. / Weaknesses That Beset Youths And How To Overcome Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.