Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (83694 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by bishoptboy(m): 7:14pm On Apr 30, 2009
My favourite part was the scene in france. They went french style in that scene. it just reminds me of Amelie. I like David Finchers movies. I felt the movie should have ended a little earlier but anyway it was a good movie, no doubt. I give it 70%
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:01pm On May 02, 2009
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Average Rating: 69%
General Comment: Very good movie. A must see.

@club members
The purpose of this thread is for us to
1. Suggest movies to see
2. Vote and go see the movie chosen
3. Review the movie we saw.
, and repeat the cycle

So far, we've only managed to just review. We do not suggest movies and thus, we cant vote.

For this thread to work, we need to participate in choosing the movies.

In our subsequent posts, please let these 3 things be present.
1. Review of the current movie.
2. Rating of the current movie.
3. Suggestion of a movie to review next.

Because of very few movie suggestions, lets further review a movie most people have seen. So in our posts, lets make sure we add the things listed above so that the reason for the thread would be met.

Thanks.

Next movie on Review: The Dark Knight.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 9:12pm On May 03, 2009
Sorry y'all. I've been unavoidably away. JK, nice. Tell em. Hehe. And the current choice is just sublime. It's gonna be extremely hard to objective about this film cuz I'm a huge fan of Batman, Nolan, Bale, Oldman and one of the best performances I've ever seen in my brief life in Heath Ledger's The Joker. I guess this already shows how biased I'll be rating this film. Pros next.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 9:27pm On May 03, 2009
TDK was hyped. But not enough. I personally think a better opportunity will probably never again present itself for those knowledgeable and utterly hideous shitfest indulging cuntley cunts at the academy to award an action film with best picture. WTF? WTFF? Extra F means frigging. Pointing out the great things about the film only makes it look like it has some parts that are not quite good enough. I rate it 90%. The 10% is for airspace. Cons next
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 9:35pm On May 03, 2009
Cons. The film should have been released a few months earlier or later. Fans of Batman should've raided the Academy & shot dead everybody who didn't attest to the awesomeness of Nolan & Ledger's genius. Abi na genii? In fact I take back my previous rating. I now rate it 95% A dude has the right to rate as he pleases, does he not? In spite of this if anyone rates it less than 80%, he can consider himself in the centre of my Remington's cross hairs
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 9:39pm On May 03, 2009
And for the pool, Revolutionary Road or The Spirit.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 7:54am On May 04, 2009
Vesc
Lol, I liked the extra F. Lol,
Be back with my review,
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 3:00pm On May 04, 2009
The Dark Knight

Like, vesc.  .  .i am biased grin Batman is my ultimate hero and this is one movie that blew me out (Tim Burton's Batman is a close 2nd).  I also love Gary Oldman, Chris Nolan and boy oh boy, did Heath do what many actors have failed to do; which is to convince me to start liking a character. 
The movie was dark, entertaining, reverting, emotional, visually stunning, frightening, great make up/costume, great set (Gotham city) and an improvement on Batman Begins with regards to the Bat suit and 'darkness'.  This movie solidified the comic/action genre as not a frivolous/summer flick.  There was meaning, there was tension, there was twisted minds (nature of man grin), there was redemption, there was trust.  .  .it was almost perfect except for the voice.  The 'batman' voice was too raspy.  That was my only problem with the movie.

I give it a 95

Next for review: Revolutionary Road
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 11:01am On May 05, 2009
iice, 95% ? shocked shocked
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 11:41am On May 05, 2009
Yes, next review - Revolutionary Road.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 12:59pm On May 05, 2009
@spyked

Your review on The Dark Knight,

Revolutionary Road is getting all the votes o,
Re: The Movie Club by MadMax1(f): 1:26pm On May 05, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Yes, next review - Revolutionary Road.

iice:

The Dark Knight

Not to take away from TDK, but somehow I prefer Batman Begins. Liam Neeson is my kind of villain; enigmatic,powerful,self-contained, with underlings in a perfect unity of evil.
You've been waiting a while to rip Revolutionary Road to shreds. grin
Let 'er rip.
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 05, 2009
iice:

The Dark Knight

Like, vesc.  .  .i am biased grin Batman is my ultimate hero and this is one movie that blew me out (Tim Burton's Batman is a close 2nd).  I also love Gary Oldman, Chris Nolan and boy oh boy, did Heath do what many actors have failed to do; which is to convince me to start liking a character. 
The movie was dark, entertaining, reverting, emotional, visually stunning, frightening, great make up/costume, great set (Gotham city) and an improvement on Batman Begins with regards to the Bat suit and 'darkness'.  This movie solidified the comic/action genre as not a frivolous/summer flick.  There was meaning, there was tension, there was twisted minds (nature of man grin), there was redemption, there was trust.  .  .it was almost perfect except for the voice.  The 'batman' voice was too raspy.  That was my only problem with the movie.

I give it a 95

Heath was exceptional in Dark knight, the best act ive ever seen. However, one have to be very high on drugs to portray that character.
Re: The Movie Club by Makavelis(m): 8:13pm On May 05, 2009
come na 9ja be dis, who dey talk about nollywood grin
Re: The Movie Club by DKNYtruth(m): 11:02pm On May 05, 2009
~Sauron~:

I am going to recommend your ban from the Movie Club.
It seems you have never seen a bad movie all your life.
65%??

I GUESS WE NEED SOME DEEP SENSE INTO THIS LIKE THIS NAIRALANDER REFERED TO; THIS MOVIE IS A SHAM, AND IT'S THE MOST SENSELESS MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE (although the guys who wrote it have intentions); IT'S A SLAP ON ENTIRE INDIANS; IT HAS JUST ONE SOLE AIM - TO BRING THESE GUYS DOWN.

EVERYONE DOES SOMETHING GOOD ABOUT IT'S COUNTRY AND PEOPLE; BUT THESE GUYS PUT UP A STORYLINE THAT DEPICTS ILL OF THE INDIANS, PAID SOME OF THEM TO ACT, AND AT THE END POURED SENSELESS AWARDS ON IT TO GIVE IT THE MOST WELCOME PARTY IT DESERVES TO PAINT "AN IMAGE"; AM VERY SURE, SOME OF OUR ACTORS AND ACTRESSESS WOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME FOR THE LITTLE CASH IT PAID; IT'S QUITE UNFORTUNATE.

THIS MOVIE WAS WRITTEN, PRODUCED, DIRECTED BY THE BRITISH - THAT SAYS IT ALL, IT'S UNFORTUNATE THOUGH,
Re: The Movie Club by amebo22: 12:05am On May 06, 2009
Is this club only for hollywood movies How about nollywood. Thanks
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 11:15am On May 06, 2009
@amebo
Yes. for now, this thread only reviews Hollywood movies.
but it all can change. movies we review here are chosen by members themselves.
so if enough people vote a Nollywood movie, . . . . wink

@topic

The Dark Knight

I've never really liked the idea called Batman. I've never been a fan, but this movie changed a whole lotta things. It was so well delivered that even a lower than average movie person without any comic book background would find it very intriguing.
Its very striking, very precise, very imposing. Its a very fictional material yet, very easy to relate with. . Most importantly, very entertaining.

Heath Ledger's performance was exceptional. its a cliche, I know, but it has to be said.
I said to myself oneday. . ., someone cannot be that good and be alive!. and be living among mere mortals. . . cool
His death, sad, made his performance legendary.
Nobody alive can come close to that kind of performance. Well, maybe Johnny Depp. ( He'll be The Riddler in the next installment)

Nice job all round. Acting, Casting, Directing, Story. . .everything.`
But those idiots at the Oscars obviously saw something else.
They have something against action flicks. The highest rated movie on almost every movie review board did poorly at the awards!

. . .and I'm sure if Ledger was alive, he wouldnt have won anything. .

I rate the movie 95%. the remaining 5% was 'cos I wasnt in the movie. . grin wink

For the Pool : The Wrestler.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:31am On May 06, 2009
I was gonna ignore this but I couldn't stomach it. DKNY, politically correct crap makes me sick. The can only be just that, the truth. Don't people make films where people are called niggers. red indians etc. If you ask me, I think the film's a tribute to India if anything at all. Like India isn't riddled with slums. Go to Rio, you can throw a stone from a skyscraper and hit an old woman selling beans cakes in front of her house. Embrace accuracy
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 2:40pm On May 06, 2009
@vesc
Gbam!, Tell 'em,
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 3:01pm On May 06, 2009
Slum Dog Millionaire--------- 4 stars, well executed and thoroughly engaging

Curious case of Benjamin buttons ---------- 31/2 stars ----------- The whole ageing backwards concept should have been a little realistic, buttons becoming a baby freaked me out!

For review, X-men Begins, Wolverine --------- 2 1/2 stars -------- They should have put in a bit more effort with the script, it was bland and didn't jive with the stunts.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:46pm On May 06, 2009
@vesc
Gbam!, Tell 'em,
Re: The Movie Club by DKNYtruth(m): 9:04pm On May 06, 2009
vescucci:

I was gonna ignore this but I couldn't stomach it. DKNY, politically correct crap makes me sick. The can only be just that, the truth. Don't people make films where people are called niggers. red indians etc. If you ask me, I think the film's a tribute to India if anything at all. Like India isn't riddled with slums. Go to Rio, you can throw a stone from a skyscraper and hit an old woman selling beans cakes in front of her house. Embrace accuracy

IF THAT'S YOUR MINDSET, FINE! BUT NOTE THAT EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO HIS/HER OPINION AND WHATEVER YARDSTICK, IT'S RELATIVE, GOOD LUCK NIGGA,
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 10:57pm On May 07, 2009
Right back at ya, homie.
Re: The Movie Club by tpiah: 2:19pm On May 11, 2009
The Dark Knight was ok but there was so much symbolism and stuff running through the movie.

And a lot of questions were left unanswered- they were probably aiming for a sequel to tie up the loose ends.

eg who is the joker? What's the real story behind his scars? He kept giving different excuses.

Who was Harvey Dent before he came to Gotham? Had he and the Joker met before? When will Batman redeem his name? etc etc.

posting late.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 4:59pm On May 11, 2009
The Dark Knight

Average Rating: 93%
General Comment: Very Very Good Movie. A must see.

Next Movie on Review: Revolutionary Road.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 5:02pm On May 11, 2009
Revolutionary Road

Directed by Sam Mendes
Produced by Bobby Cohen
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Kathy Bates, Michael Shannon

Re: The Movie Club by Aaoe: 5:16pm On May 11, 2009
The Dark Knight was good, enjoyed the superb performance by Heath Ledger. I will rate 60%

X- Men Origin though quite interesting, rated 45%, the dept of research was poor.

I would suggest a review on ANGELS & DEMONS staring Tom Hanks, a must see, if you have seen The Da Vinci Code and loved the controversy.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 10:25pm On May 13, 2009
Well, lookee here. Ms. Vowels just loves to flirt with the wrong end of homicide. What're you doing rating TDK 60%?
Re: The Movie Club by Aaoe: 11:50am On May 14, 2009
So Mr , what do you think
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 3:39pm On May 14, 2009
Well, Ms. Vowels, I think I wonder what you rate films like Norbit and Epic Movie. Anyways, to each his/her own. Thank God Jk has provided closure. 93%. It's over and done with. Moving on.

Revolutionary Road.

The only other film by Sam Mendes I can recall was American Beauty and it was really a joy to watch. Especially back then when Hollywood wasn't riddled with mediocrity like now. But let's get to this particular film. This film, before I saw Doubt, in my opinon was the best drama for last year. Was it last year it came out? Anyhoo, the Leonardo and Kate combo is a really convenient but no less effective one. The story itself is something I myself can relate to on an extremely intimate level. The life the couple lead is anathema to my hopes. But the portrayal of this story especially in the 70's I think gives it spice. This was a period when 'The American Dream' was still very thick in the air. People actually belived in it not like now where it's more like a myth. But that's not where the story pulls a fast one. This couple were supposedly living 'The American Dream' But it was not enough. The struggles of a young couple slapped with mediocrity and drudgery in a not so svelte blow led to a crisis which was ultimately defined by who wanted it the most and who was the most reasonable, grounded, etc. Having in mind the nature of the story, it's hard to draw on the negatives for they didn't venture into such stuff. I tremendously enjoyed the movie but I can see why many people would not. It's just a story of a not-so-average couple living an average life. What's the fuss, right?

I rate the film 80% and duck all metal objects being thrown at me and shake my fists regardless.
Re: The Movie Club by Nwazo(m): 5:23pm On May 14, 2009
Revolutionary Road was aight, I still think American Beauty is the best film by Sam Mendes. He hasn't done anyone movie that's topped that one yet in my humble opinion.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 7:13am On May 15, 2009
Stop saying stuff like 'in my humble opinion' man. You gotta have more panache.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (96) (Reply)

NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / K.brule And Khloe Disqualified From The Big Brother House (details) / BBNaija: Tacha Slays In Transparent Dress During Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.