Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (83738 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 5:58pm On Feb 25, 2011
. . . . has come to life. I'll review later.
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 6:16pm On Feb 25, 2011
Ok, The Social Network it is. . . . .

I'll post a review later when I get on PC wink
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 6:36pm On Feb 25, 2011
THE SOCIAL NETWORK. Cool.
I'll post my review tomorrow.
Re: The Movie Club by WackyJ1(m): 11:27pm On Feb 25, 2011
Emmmm, emmm how do they even do reviews?
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 6:44am On Feb 26, 2011
WackyJ1:

Emmmm, emmm how do they even do reviews?

Just post whatever you think about a film and give it a rating. . .that's all wink
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 7:32pm On Feb 26, 2011
CONFESSION - It took me 3 attempts before I could finish watching The Social Network simply cos it wasn't captivating or gripping enough to keep me glued and I'm sure I watched a dozen other films in between these three attempts grin

The main story of the film was inter-spaced in between Mark Zuckerberg appearing in a legal hearing for two separate lawsuits filed by two brothers and his close friend/co-founder so the film kept flashing back to the past repeatedly to capture & show the salient points made in the deposition.

The ''long and short'' of the film was that Mark was a smart, conceited and egotistical ''geek'' who screwed his friend/co-founder, two brothers (who gave him a job to write the programme for their website) and later a financial investor to make facebook what it is today. Nothing new in this and I can boldly say the only thing I learnt from the movie was that the website started as ''TheFacebook'' and the origin of its present name tongue

Twists were very few and the story was damn predictable but this ain't surprising since it's a biographical drama.

Superb performance from Jesse Eisenberg (Mark Zuckerberg) and Andrew Garfield (Eduardo Saverin) as they portrayed their characters very well. . .the former I liked for his witty comments, one-liners and quips grin but still, I gats say the film was too long. . .the whole film could have been rounded up in 1hr30mins and didn't have to be 2hrs cos it became a chore towards the latter stages for me.

In conclusion, the film is just average and highly overrated suffice it to say if it were up to me, it won't be getting any award nominations.  I'll stop here and put my remaining comments in the scorecard - 55%
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 12:31am On Feb 27, 2011
I'd forgotten I was supposed to review. I'm glad Semid reviewed first. Technically, there's not much to this film. But it is extremely hard to desensitize oneself from material one is so familiar with. That's why it's hard for some people to enjoy old movies. They can't ignore all the stuff they already know. I watched this film like I didn't know nada about facebook. You can't fault it for rehashing stuff you already know anymore than you can fault Schindler's list for being historically accurate. That said, I found the film very good. I didn't know you could spin such a bio to interest me at all but it did. Andrew Garfield's performance was stellar and I'm like a big fan. I'm excited about his career. Jesse is his usual do-everything-right self. Cut a long story short, I liked the movie. 75%.
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 1:04am On Feb 27, 2011
justkunmi on February 25, 2011:

First. . calling the title 'The Social Network' a cliche would be an understatement. Really.?? Social Network

Ok, that being said, I actually thot I was goin to hate the movie after seeing it. . but actually, I didnt. and I didnt love it either.

I'll actually give all the credit of the movie's success to Aaron Sorkin who wrote the script because turning a story as popular and as well known as that into a movie and tryin to add twists here and there isnt an easy job.

The oustanding actors for me are Andy Garfield and Justin Timberlake. Very very good stuff.

But I doubt if this movie is good enough to win Best Picture. . Lets see tho.

So what's your rating for the film?
Re: The Movie Club by Phate07(m): 2:57am On Feb 27, 2011

2.5 on a scale of 5.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 7:21am On Feb 27, 2011
Nice review. .Semid4lyf

I'll rate the movie 60%.
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 9:59am On Feb 27, 2011
@ justkunmi

Is there a set no of reviews for a movie that constitutes a quorum on this thread?

If there isn't, I suggest we set it at 3 so a movie can be quickly reviewed & rounded up so we can move on to review the next movie and keep the thread moving. . .

Meanwhile, round up this movie so we can move on to review the next movie. . .The King's Speech hopefully wink kiss grin
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 1:00pm On Feb 27, 2011
I think there's already a rule about what constitutes a quorum and I think it's three or five. Our trouble is not making rules, we make a bunch, but following them.
Re: The Movie Club by WackyJ1(m): 4:24pm On Feb 27, 2011
To me the social network was nice. I was impressed with the eisenberg guy most of all. It was very good for a biography. I'll give it 65%
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 9:56am On Feb 28, 2011
@semid4lyf
noted. and yea. .like vesc said, we have that rule in place. and i think its a minimum of 3 reviews. .

that said, congratulations to all involved with the social network. the guys at the academy reckons its good enough.

shall we wrap this up and review Semid's King's Speech? He's been on about it for a while so lets have a go at it. .
Re: The Movie Club by v3: 10:05am On Feb 28, 2011
Round this up abeg.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:05am On Feb 28, 2011
The Social Network

General Comments; Really nice biography. Well written, well thought out, well crafted, great cast, easy to follow, no surprises; just plain simple story well told.

Average rating; 61% (Based on 5 reviews)

see this movie if you haven't. And hey, it got 3 Oscar awards. .so why wont you see it?  wink

Next movie. .
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:14am On Feb 28, 2011
jus my thots. . (<--------notice those words in bold letters?)
Shld we try to review the movies that got nods at the Oscars? Twould be nice to see what y'all think bout em. .
Some of the movies are on queue already.

we've done The social network
The King's Speech
Black Swan

The Fighter
. . and ofcourse the other movies already on queue
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 10:16am On Feb 28, 2011
Why is THE SOCIAL NETWORK getting a lot of low ratings here? undecided

THE SOCIAL NETWORK was good if you ask me. Great acting from the likes of Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield, Armie Hammer, Rooney Mara and surprisingly Justin Timberlake. The story is based on a book called Accidental Billionaires.

The direction was good as well. Nice job David Fincher.

I'll give it an 87% rating.

@JK
Seems like a lot people like only action movies. But to me most of the action films that came out last year sucked eg. THE EXPENDABLES. Why can't action films be as cool as DIE HARD or HARD BOILED?

So, what are we reviewing next?
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 10:26am On Feb 28, 2011
Sorry for post my review on THE SOCIAL NETWORK late. wink cheesy

justkunmi:

The King's Speech
Black Swan

The Fighter
. . and ofcourse the other movies already on queue

@justkunmi
Anyone is fine by me.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:34am On Feb 28, 2011
obi
you dont get movies like Die Hard anymore. .

Next movie on review. .The King's Speech

this is for you semid4lyf my friend. . wink grin
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 10:42am On Feb 28, 2011
@justkunmi
I won't be surprised if semid4lyfe comes and says THE KING'S SPEECH was boring. cheesy He likes only action films with massive killings. grin
Lets review "Machete". grin
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:45am On Feb 28, 2011
The King's Speech

The King's Speech is a 2010 British historical drama. It won Best Picture at the Oscars and the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival People's Choice Award. It was nominated for fourteen BAFTAs, of which it won seven; twelve Academy Awards nominations, of which it won four; and seven Golden Globes, with Colin Firth winning for Best Actor.

Director: Tom Hooper
Starring: Colin Firth
Geoffrey Rush
Helena Bonham Carter
Guy Pearce
Timothy Spall
Derek Jacobi
Jennifer Ehle
Michael Gambon

Your unbiased reviews. . . wink
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:46am On Feb 28, 2011
@obi
we'll do Machete. Lets see what people say about this movie.
You've seen it? Lets have your review.
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 10:51am On Feb 28, 2011
@justkunmi
I have to rush back to work. shocked
But all I can say is that THE KING'S SPEECH was nice movie. I'll post my rating later today. wink
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 12:53pm On Feb 28, 2011
obinna5000:
@justkunmi
I won't be surprised if semid4lyfe comes and says THE KING'S SPEECH was boring. cheesy He likes only action films with massive killings. grin

Obinna, you do me great injustice with your post embarassed sad

Click HERE to read the comments I posted when I watched the film.

FACT is there are INTERESTING and BORING drama movies. . .The King's Speech belongs in the former category. tongue

Keep it locked for my review coming soon grin wink
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 3:45pm On Feb 28, 2011
My review of The King's Speech (2010)

Directing: 95%
This film has fluidity and chemistry which is the mark of a great director.

Acting: 100%
Well, there's a reason Colin Firth had no (real) competition for Best Actor at the Oscars. He plays his part extremely well. He manages to come across as insecure and regal at the same time somehow. Plus he does the speech impairment very well. And let's not forget his co-nominees. Helena Bonham Carter plays the supportive wife perfectly and Geoffrey Rush is amazing as the controversial speech therapist. You just need to see the film to appreciate what a good job they do.

Cinematography: 97%
Now, you'd think this film would have pretty "standard" cinematography but there are some stunningly beautiful scenes in this film. The London mists especially are a stunning backdrop. Even the therapist's room is an artwork in itself which adds to the stunning cinematography in this film. The film is of course visually very interesting as well since it's set in the past (but not too far in the past). Things are familiar but different and the setting everywhere is perfect for the time period.

Editing: 95%
Historical dramas lacking action can often be sleeping pills but this film is directed well. It stays interesting throughout and it has great pacing. But the film at times felt a bit choppy when jumping from one scene to another (quite literally). I'm not sure whether it was a problem in the film or with my cinema and its copy of the film.

Writing: 100%
This along with the acting is of course where the real strength lies. This is a character drama and depends completely on the writing. And it's done perfectly. Characters are (realistically) likeable and believable. And the story is of course an emotional and thought-provoking one.

Overall rating: 98%
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 6:38pm On Feb 28, 2011
Ogaga recently caught my attention with his reviews on his thread. Kaether caught my attention first time on this thread. Nice.

I thought The King's Speech was like a kick in the nuts to Hollywood. Basically telling them 'you got the technicalities but we've got all the talent'. I believe The King's Speech was not Hollywood but I'm not sure, I've not checked.

Colin Firth, amazing as he was, wasn't the only reason why the film was sublime. Geoffrey and Helena were sublime. Many times two outta this world performances are all that's necessary to earn Best Film. If Mellisa didn't choose The Fighter to deliver the performance of a lifetime, I'd have felt so pained for Helena. The film's directing was straight forward and sequential. Easy to follow, no jolts, a little anxiety and an instant relation to the stammering prince/king made the audience a part of the journey. Almost everything was perfect with the film except what I consider to be a casting blunder in the form of Guy Pearce. Luckily his role was fringe. I rate it 90%. Truly deserving.
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 11:40am On Mar 01, 2011
Modified

Same as post below. . . . . .
Re: The Movie Club by semid4lyfe(m): 11:45am On Mar 01, 2011
The King's Speech is a historical drama about the British Monarchy, specifically Prince Albert, the  Duke of York who later became King George VI (on the abdication of his elder brother), his severe/chronic stammering and his struggles to overcome it with the help of an ''unconventional'' speech therapist.

Didn't think I'll like & enjoy the film with it being set in that ''old era'' but surprisingly I did cos it's a very simple, straightforward, inspiring, riveting and moving story that takes the viewer on a journey . .a journey with Bertie as he attempts to find his ''voice'' to perform one of his functions (of public speaking and giving speeches) as Prince Albert, the Duke of York and later as King George VI, King of England.

Being someone whose attention easily veers and isn't held by one thing for too long, I like the fact the story is ''easy on the brain'' and doesn't require you to ''crack your brain'' to understand it. . .It's the kinda movie you can minimise and watch on a small window while doing other things on your PC and this is a big +VE for me grin grin.

I also like the way the film started i.e the way the film's subject matter (Prince Albert and his severe stammering + his struggles to overcome it) was introduced early on in the very first scenes as there was no dilly-dallying, unnecessary talk but just straight to the point and very direct story telling. . .one thing I hate is watching a movie halfway before knowing what it's about

My favourite scenes in the movie were the scenes in which Bertie's wife ( Helena Bonham Carter) met Dr Logue (Geoffrey Rush) and the part where she met Logue's wife suffice it to say my favourite dialogues were from those scenes too. She used a combo of charm, guile and subtle threats to get Dr Logue to agree to take on her Husband in the first scene and she was simply charming and pleasant to Dr Logue's wife in the second kiss

Although not a comedy, TKS had a healthy dose of witty quips & amusing lines and I occassionally burst into laughter and couldn't keep the smile off my face while watching it. Lines like ''Dr, ehhh. . .forgive me, I don't have a hubby, we don't pop and nor do we ever talk about our private lives'', ''I don't know but he seems to be saying it rather well '', ''the part where Bertie first met Dr Logue and Bertie brought out a cigar and the ensuing dialogue when Dr Logue told him to put it away'' had me grinning from ear to ear cool

A bit of suspense at the end when Bertie (King George VI) was about to give his speech and I couldn't help but empathise, pray and urge him on (although I knew he was going to deliver it well after all actor nor dey ''eff up'' and na the whole essence of the film be that) but still that part was so real smiley

David Seidler wrote a beautiful script for TKS and the Director (Tom Hooper) did a splendid job making a film out of it. Everything from the costuming, instrumentation [phones, cameras, microphones, clocks on the wall, cars used, airplane (flown by David) etc], the interior decor of the houses, the few outdoor sceneries were reminiscent of the time period in which the film was set.

Finally, superb + superlative performance from everyone involved in TKS especially Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter and Colin Firth. . , th-th-th-at  guy  m-u-mu-st  be  a sta-sta-mmer-mmer-er  i-i-i-in  re-re-re-al  li-li-li-life grin. Last time, I was so impressed by an actor's performance was Forest Whittaker in ''The Last King of Scotland''.

I didn't like TKS, I LOVED IT. I'd have rated it 100% but make I keep 1% for myself. . .so I'll give it 99% grin
Re: The Movie Club by obinna5000(m): 1:09pm On Mar 01, 2011
@vescucci
Ogaga4Luv is the DON!!! cool

@topic
"The King's Speech" deserves every Oscar it got. cool Brilliant acting from the likes of Colin Firth, Helena Boham Carter and Geoffrey Rush.
I still love the story of this movie despite the fact its a true story.
I'm planning on buying the original Blu-ray when it comes out.

I'll give this movie an 89% rating.

[size=3pt]Just imagine someone like Governor Fashola stammering while addressing a massive crowd. [/size] embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: The Movie Club by cindy200(f): 7:55pm On Mar 01, 2011
Its my first tym doing dis here tongue

The Social Network:

I agree with the guy who said the movie was just too long.they wasted a lot of time getting to the point. but that bin said jesse einseberg was excellent in his role. he was really very smart, but also slimy.he was brilliant.
i'll rate it at 65%. Like the movie.

The King's speech:

lol@semid,i also lyk the part where bertie's wife was having that conversation wt geoffry rush's wyf in dt movie.i just kept grinning. the movie was really nice. Colin firth excellent as usual. I love dat guy. The suspence wen he was giving his speech almost killed me.
I also lykd hs speech at the oscars after winning.lol
Am rating this movie 95%

Black Swan:

Nyc movie. Natalie portman was excellent. She really put herself in that character. I alo lykd the twist of paranoia where she kept seeing mila kunis but it was her dark side.
am rating it at 90%

The Fighter:

Gud movie. Christian bale was excellent, i cldnt believe him. The only thing is at a point i was lyk finish already,mark walhberg win already well i guess its so for biographical stories some times. very nice,funny with all the crazy sisters.
Am rating 80%.
Re: The Movie Club by WackyJ1(m): 1:59am On Mar 02, 2011
The king's speech was a very nice movie. I especially downloaded it because i knew it was going to move me with the whole prince/King struggling with the speech thing and all. Colin firth did very well, the interaction between the two of them was well scripted. The final speech so moved me that i thought that i was in that time. I never knew Helena bonham carter was so cute, she did well in that movie.
I'll give it a 70%

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (96) (Reply)

K.brule And Khloe Disqualified From The Big Brother House (details) / NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / BBNaija: Tacha Slays In Transparent Dress During Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.