Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,053 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:59 PM

Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course (1076 Views)

Zahra Buhari Comments On Her Father's Health Status / Buhari Not Harrasing Jonathan's Family, Law is Taking Its Course - Presidency / Buhari Speaks On Saraki’s Trial: Says Law Will Take Its Course (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by LocalChamp: 1:46am On Sep 30, 2015
Posted By: Adeola Fayehun, New York and Onyedi Ojiaboron

**President Muhammadu Buhari will not interfere in the ongoing trial of Senate President Bukola Saraki.
**He will allow the court process to run its course, the President said yesterday in New York.
**Saraki is facing trial before the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) for alleged false assets declaration. The tribunal has fixed October 21-23 to hear the matter.
**Saraki’s supporters are said to be pleading with emirs and other prominent citizens to put in a word for the Senate president. But Buhari told our correspondent in an interview that it would be an impeachable offence if he intervened.

Here are exerpts from the interview:

The Senate president is facing alleged false assets declaration allegations but you’ve been aloof from the case. What is your position on the issue?

“What has the President got to do with it as a person? The case is in court. Do Nigerians expect me to tell the Chief Justice to tell whichever court that they shouldn’t try the Senate president?

“Do Nigerians know about the constitution of their own country? The judiciary, the legislature and the executive have got their own roles within the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Then, how do they expect me to interfere? I can be successfully impeached if I do it.

Today in Abuja, at least 82 senators passed a vote of confidence on the Senate President. That is a significant number of senators. However, Nigerians will like to know, as the president, how confident are you in the senate president?

That would depend on the outcome of the court’s decision.

Are you on speaking terms with the Senate president?

There are some appointments, which the Senate has to approve. And I can’t remember how many letters I personally wrote to him, because this is constitutional. There are people I want to work with, I cannot work with them unless the National Assembly approves. So I’ve been writing to the Senate President and to the leader of the House (of Representatives). This is constitutional.

What do you have to say on the media’s review of your first three months in office?

“The media is too inquisitive for my liking (laughing).

“They ask too many questions, and I agonise over this with my adviser on media that especially our own press in Nigeria, why can’t they do more of investigative journalism? “There are a lot of things the media can do without harassing the president. For example, my assets declaration. I’ve declared my assets four times since the first time I got a political appointment. Why can’t the press go and find out about the previous times? Instead they’re making headlines about my assets.

It’s been circulating that you’ve been recovering some of the money stolen by corrupt Nigerians from the treasury. How true is this and how much have you recovered?

I can’t give you figures now, because of the legal implications. It’s much easier to talk about what we’re doing according to documents. For example, every ship that is loading Nigerian crude from our terminals is supposed to record how much it has taken and on behalf of who is lifting it in terms of customer, including whether the crude oil belongs to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation or it belongs to our partners, like Shell, Mobil, Chevron and so on. And then we ask where are they going? Including the facts of the documents like when it was sold and which account the money was going. We have gone quite far and a number of countries have cooperated with us. In fact, again we try to get more facts from Lloyd’s of London, that is the famous shipping line insurance brokers. Because some people would take petroleum from terminals, and then change the receipt, change its direction, and put the money into individual accounts. So we want those documents in our hands so we can successfully prosecute those who have been stealing Nigerian crude. We can’t mention the details because it may compromise the legal processes, but definitely, we have done a lot of work and very soon the processes of prosecution will start.

http://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-on-sarakis-trial-law-will-take-its-course/

The Face of Criminal Fraudster and Bank Robber saraki

1 Like

Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by bewla(m): 1:53am On Sep 30, 2015
i believe u
Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by Nobody: 1:56am On Sep 30, 2015
This PMB is too intelligent..just read thru his answers...I just admire him

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by tafabaloo(m): 1:59am On Sep 30, 2015
Hmmmmm
Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by Jorussia(m): 2:01am On Sep 30, 2015
.pmb obviously knows what he is doing, he is a very intelligent leader.It will be suicidal if pmb interferes in the ongoing trial of saraki.majority of Nigerians will start to dislike pmb,if he attempts to interfere in the trial of saraki.The international community is watching pmb as regards his pledge to fight corruption, any attempt to discontinue the case after all the media publicity,will be a very big stain on both the person and administration of pmb.To me,since saraki,has pleaded not guilty before the cct,let him defend himself.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by oluwafemi113(m): 3:15am On Sep 30, 2015
PMB

Made

An

Excellent

Speech

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by ki02020(m): 4:26am On Sep 30, 2015
PMB is a crook.....just look at his response grin
Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by ziccoit: 4:28am On Sep 30, 2015
I want PMB to bring sanity into our politics. Enough of using stolen public fund to entice the same people to put you into power. There should be an unwritten law guided by common sense that you could never hold any public office unless you are morally aboveboard. Enough of some rented stupid "live diezani alone" or "immesealy" placard carrying idiots in the name of common N50

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by modath(f): 4:44am On Sep 30, 2015
LocalChamp:

Are you on speaking terms with the Senate president?
There are some appointments, which the Senate has to approve. And I can’t remember how many letters I personally wrote to him, because this is constitutional. There are people I want to work with, I cannot work with them unless the National Assembly approves. So I’ve been writing to the Senate President and to the leader of the House (of Representatives). This is constitutional

Anyone still in doubt that Saraki is going to get served

In very few words, we know Baba respects the senate president persona but has zero feelings towards Saraki.
Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by modath(f): 4:53am On Sep 30, 2015
ki02020:
PMB is a crook.....just look at his response grin

I know you mean well & your thoughts are in a good place but i can bet you those immensaly stewpid folks will soon be all up in your mentions.. smiley
Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by hajlat(m): 9:47am On Sep 30, 2015
Millitary intelligent
Re: Buhari Comments On Saraki’s Trial: Law Will Take Its Course by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 30, 2015
Apt and precise response. In fact intelligent at that.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Dr. Paul Oluikpe Wins The 2015 Emerald Citation For Excellence Award...igbo / BIAFRANS Ready To Go, Starts Referendum / We Warned Tinubu Against Aligning With The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.