Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. (45205 Views)

1,292 Nigerians Have Been Killed In Road Accidents In The Last 3 Months’ – NBS / 11 Ideas That Can Help You Avoid Traffic Congestion In Nigerian Cities / Lagos Gridlock Solution: How "Electronic Bill Boards" Can Reduce Traffic Jams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by worldoth: 6:10pm On Oct 18, 2015
That is a thread that is commendable ,beyterstilk if our govt can buy into such idea .
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by tsdarkside(m): 6:10pm On Oct 18, 2015
Explorers:
5. Bike sharing(Netherlands, London).

Will this work?

Imagine having thousands of bikes littering about a hundred bike stations across Lagos or VI. Instead of adding your car to the traffic, you can just stroll to the nearest bike station to your house, pick a bike, cycle to work and drop it off at the nearest bike station to your office. Like that again when you're going home undecided

nigerian boneheads,will only steal them all...you can have ideas as you like,but you have to first disziplin nigerians and raise their level of consciousness,or else any improvement will be futile..and ofcourse reduce the amount of extremly poor people...social-benefits must be introduced(workers dont get paid for six months )....invest in the pension-funds......build more orphanages....assist women in distress......invest in police and army.....give cheap financial aids to entrepenuers...and many more sectors...and you will see,even that what we have now,would be more than enough.....
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 18, 2015
We cannot handle the truth
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 18, 2015
i think we need young innovators in government,...not the old omo niles...who can't think outside the box
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by tayotemowo(m): 8:04pm On Oct 18, 2015
Funjosh:

How many Nigerian can ride a Bicycle

Believe me if we have reasons to ride a lot know how to and others that don't can learn to. My mum rode a bike at age fifty something and I was surprised when she did so if we make that as a means of transportation by making ways for them (bike ways) people will be encouraged to do it. I once rode a bicycle to work one day (it's not that long a journey - from Surulere to Obanikoro) but the fear I experienced was from danfo and other motorists on the road was enough to discourage anybody that wants to learn it.

1 Like

Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by Image123(m): 8:51pm On Oct 18, 2015
The root cause of Lagos traffic is population, Lagos is overpopulated. The best way to solve that is to decongest the state. This can done by developing other states, especially neighbouring states. Or by a cooperation of the Southwest states and the FG to build a modern railway system that connects Lagos reliably. If people can steadily get to Lagos in one-two hours on trains from Ekiti, Ondo, Osun,Ogun, Edo, they'll rather live there and work in Lagos. House rent and living conditions will also be better.

cc: Explorers

2 Likes

Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by tayotemowo(m): 8:57pm On Oct 18, 2015
Explorers:

That wil happen at the initial stage, but by the time the offenders are prosecuted extremely, it wil stop.

That's not the only way to go about it sef. To do it you make the bicycles a particular type and make sure no one bring the type into the country or better still start a bicycle company that makes the peculiar so that anyone that you see like that you know it's not for individual that way shame will not even allow people to take it home because people will know it's for the public and not yours.

1 Like

Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by Meiji(m): 10:28pm On Oct 18, 2015
LordAdam:

We can't have those infrastructure in Nigeria. It simply is not possible. You could blame the government all you want, however most in the government were once ordinary citizens. The government is a reflection of the citizenry.

Nigerians are short-sighted, have zero maintenance culture, and have chronic Alzheimers.

We do not have the discipline or know-how to plan effectively, we do not have the capacity to follow a plan even if we had one. Then what about the markup in price that can inflate the cost of a project from as low as twice the price to as high as a dozen times the price. N170m was used to build a borehole I remember. And that's where the borehole was constructed. In some cases, the same amount of money will be used to construct an artificial reservoir to collect rain water. In the worst scenario, no project will be done.

Now if any of those happened, there is zero accountability. If any one were to be convicted then all of it is politically motivated, how else is Ibori in jail and Tinubu is not?

Even if we were to get the project going, how are we sure sub-standard materials and personnel will not be used? Our roads are a good example of what I mean. Going further, do Nigerians have a maintenance culture? When last was the Third Mainland Bridge closed for maintenance (The answer is Never)? So what makes you think we would start with those mega road networks.

Our politicians travel, heck even the citizenry do. We are amazed by what we see outside. And you ask why not they replicate those stuff here? How about we replicate following simple traffic rules for a start? Do you adorn pigs with precious stones? How is it that a typical Nigerian will not litter Shoprite with the packaging of their sweet, but will litter sachet water packaging in the local open-air market?

You see, Nigerians like to blame everyone other than themselves for their predicaments. The government, another tribe, their kins in the village. Keep the blame games going while everyone else is moving forward.

If the perpetual traffic gridlock in Lagos were stabilized (note not eliminated, Manhattan, Beijing still experience traffic gridlock for several minutes at a time), Lagos will be the fastest growing local economy in Nigeria.

-Lord

Just to address the part in bold, it's not true that the 3rd Mainland bridge has "never" been closed for maintenance - I think there was one sometime last year and another two years ago (if my memory serves me well).

I agree with the substance of your post, however.
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by Omololu007(m): 7:12am On Oct 19, 2015
RoyalPriesthuud:
Now that's the spirit, trust in the electoral system, starting ground for a solid democracy, panacea for the Nigeria of our dream.

But bro, we can't also be doing trial and error everytime sha wink
I prefer ambode to the other governorship aspirant that's why I voted him.and I also want the APC government to continue in lagos cause of what fashola did,so if ambode doesn't perform well,he will be voted out in 2019 just the way gej was voted out of power
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by Stim312: 7:13am On Oct 19, 2015
Explorers:
2. Modern city train system/service(London), overground not underground. Underground maybe too expensive/extreme for us.
is called dockland train
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by Omololu007(m): 7:13am On Oct 19, 2015
4stylz:

And who told you they are interested in your vote
I don't get you?
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by LordAdam: 8:21am On Oct 19, 2015
Meiji:

Just to address the part in bold, it's not true that the 3rd Mainland bridge has "never" been closed for maintenance - I think there was one sometime last year and another two years ago (if my memory serves me well).

I agree with the substance of your post, however.

Thank you for pointing that out, the bridge was closed for maintenance in 2008, 2012, 2013, and 2014 in recent times.

Although, I must point out that neither of these maintenance were proactive. For example, the repairs of 2012 were to negate the effect of erosion of the abutment by reinforcing the abutment and then apply a treatment that prevents erosion from having sizeable effect on the abutment, only after there was substantial erosion. If routine maintenance was a culture, they would have anticipated the erosion and protected the abutment from erosion at first, rather than repair the effects of erosion on the abutment and thereafter protect the abutment from erosion.

Clearly, I should have added "never" been closed for 'routine' maintenance. Routine maintenance is just as important as repairing the bridge when it has become a death trap.

Let's use a comparison: the Golden Gate Bridge has 49 permanent maintenance staff number to carry out routine maintenance and painting all year round. Of course if a major repair was to be needed, contractors will be hired.

-Lord
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by LordAdam: 8:46am On Oct 19, 2015
Image123:
The root cause of Lagos traffic is population, Lagos is overpopulated. The best way to solve that is to decongest the state. This can done by developing other states, especially neighbouring states. Or by a cooperation of the Southwest states and the FG to build a modern railway system that connects Lagos reliably. If people can steadily get to Lagos in one-two hours on trains from Ekiti, Ondo, Osun,Ogun, Edo, they'll rather live there and work in Lagos. House rent and living conditions will also be better.

cc: Explorers

You are right. With the current infrastructure in the Lagos metropolis, it is a shocker to find out that it sustains over 11 million people. The population of the state is above 20m. So we have more than half the total population of the state living in one city. More accurately, 80% of the state's population occupy 37% of its land area.

The issue is not simply improving the infrastructure like introducing an efficient railway system. That would help a great deal, but more people are just going to pour in to congest the city more.

What we need is the urbanization of more city centers in the country. It should be an holistic approach. For example, in the US, you don't just hear New York, Washington, Las Vegas... as the major melting pots. There's San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Miami, Detroit, Atlanta... All of these cities are terrific places to live in. In Nigeria, major cities are a few and in-between which leads to overstretching of already dilapidated infrastructure.

It is why I said we need a plan or more accurately several concurrent plans for the different sectors. Right from the federal government to state government to local government. For a nation as diverse as Nigeria we need at least two more levels of government--regional government, and city government with limited power.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by matrixme(m): 9:18am On Oct 19, 2015
Why should we seek ways to end the massive problems of transportation in Lagos when it will cause a great loss in revenue to Gala, Lacasera and many other companies as well as huge unemployment?
They say bad ideas flourish because it is in the interest of popular people.
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by Wolfbrother(m): 9:33am On Oct 19, 2015
Another good idea wld be to move the resumption times of schools to 10am (schoolbus option) , no point making these kids come to school at 8 and be tired and sleepy , roads are more free when the school kids arent on them.
Re: Photos: Transport Ideas That Can Reduce Traffic/Accidents In Lagos. by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 19, 2015
Funjosh:

How many Nigerian can ride a Bicycle
If the thing nor miss!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Commercial Bus Knocks Down And Kills Lady Selling Bread In Lagos. Graphic Photos / Another Container Falls In Lagos This Morning (Photos) / Nigerian Birth Certificate Needed From The National Population Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.