Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,114 members, 7,852,772 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 05:05 AM

Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence (1175 Views)

Photo Of Baby Dressed To Celebrate Independence Day / Soldiers Celebrate Independence In Borno On Streets Of Maiduguri / Oshiomhole And Iara Celebrate Independence Day With Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Kingsley1000(m): 6:47am On Oct 01, 2015
i don't see any reason one should celebrate this independence,are you celebrating 55yrs of good asphalted roads,stable electricity,dilapilated schools/hospitals,corruption,unemployment, insecurity,poverty? the list is endless......so you that intend to unwind or celebrate,whats your reason for celebration?

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by chidiebere2020(m): 7:17am On Oct 01, 2015
Boko haram
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 01, 2015
Kingsley1000:
We celebrate the fact we dodged a situation whereby to get jobs you'd've to look almost as lightskinned as caucasians as well as have european features. We celebrate the fact that rather than get beat up for educating ourselves we are able to amass as much knowledge to put us on the same level as the whiteman. We celebrate the fact that rather than 80% of our resources whether crude oil, foodstuff, manpower and precious stones go to foreign colonialists, we are able to enjoy them for ourselves albeit facing the reality of corruption in the environment.

If the whiteman never left 55 years ago, the first and last name you bear now which denote your state of origin complete with family history would have gotten replaced with caucasian christian names.
We are better off ruling ourselves because although development would've occurred faster under British rule the majority of the masses would have suffered immensely. Take the case of Zimbabwe for example where white farmers owned 70% of lands and exported foodstuff meant for the masses to their home countries.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Luckymay(f): 7:39am On Oct 01, 2015
I celebrate independence cos am alive to witness it. Other than this av got no other reason to
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 01, 2015
Who is independent of who, if I may ask, becuase I can still see Amajiri everywhere in North.
Ok, we are celebrating their independence plates since they no longer share their spoils in one plate. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by MORNDEW(m): 8:04am On Oct 01, 2015
Everyday shud not be devoted to stupidity. There are Nations worst than us but they celebrate in Hope. So ur post is meaningless. We are celebrating Hope and thats what some ppl dont have. Be glad u hv it.

1 Like

Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by dialfa: 8:13am On Oct 01, 2015
charix:

We celebrate the fact we dodged a situation whereby to get jobs you'd've to look almost as lightskinned as caucasians as well as have european features. We celebrate the fact that rather than get beat up for educating ourselves we are able to amass as much knowledge to put us on the same level as the whiteman. We celebrate the fact that rather than 80% of our resources whether crude oil, foodstuff, manpower and precious stones go to foreign colonialists, we are able to enjoy them for ourselves albeit facing the reality of corruption in the environment.

If the whiteman never left 55 years ago, the first and last name you bear now which denote your state of origin complete with family history would have gotten replaced with caucasian christian names.
We are better off ruling ourselves because although development would've occurred faster under British rule the majority of the masses would have suffered immensely. Take the case of Zimbabwe for example where white farmers owned 70% of lands and exported foodstuff meant for the masses to their home countries.

dreamer
so you are now on save level as them? how many "whites" are seeking assylum in your country? mumu
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Liamm(m): 8:15am On Oct 01, 2015
charix:

I love this old troll grin

2 Likes

Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 01, 2015
Liamm:
I love this old troll grin
Crammy, is this a new account? cheesy
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 01, 2015
dialfa:

dreamer
so you are now on save level as them? how many "whites" are seeking assylum in your country? mumu
I've heard of a handful who resided here after their expatriate program expired. Alot live in Jos, Abuja and Calabar.
The truth is you have to travel and see how blacks are both segregated and avoided in both Western caucasian-run countries as well as the great South Africa where majority of negroes are relegated to slums where they live a lifetime devoid of opportunity.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by ragiluhivo(m): 9:07am On Oct 01, 2015
MORNDEW:
Everyday shud not be devoted to stupidity. There are Nations worst than us but they celebrate in Hope. So ur post is meaningless. We are celebrating Hope and thats what some ppl dont have. Be glad u hv it.

What hope?? Nigerians are very delusional...How can you still be hoping for a country that is 55 years old and has nothing to show for?

A fool at 40 is a fool for....please someone help me complete it
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Liamm(m): 9:26am On Oct 01, 2015
charix:

Crammy, is this a new account? cheesy
Lol. Learnt that from you sometime ago. And you even made it your signature. There must be something unique about that statement. Only time will tell cheesy
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Kingsley1000(m): 9:36am On Oct 01, 2015
ragiluhivo:

What hope?? Nigerians are very delusional...How can you still be hoping for a country that is 55 years old and has nothing to show for?

A fool at 40 is a fool for....please someone help me complete it
llol
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by dialfa: 12:17pm On Oct 01, 2015
charix:

I've heard of a handful who resided here after their expatriate program expired. Alot live in Jos, Abuja and Calabar.
The truth is you have to travel and see how blacks are both segregated and avoided in both Western caucasian-run countries as well as the great South Africa where majority of negroes are relegated to slums where they live a lifetime devoid of opportunity.

What's stopping them from quiting the slum?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Nobody: 10:43am On Oct 02, 2015
dialfa:

What's stopping them from quiting the slum?
Yes, after a full day's ban I'm back.

Things're easier said than done. Its like asking "why can't poor people become rich in two weeks?" or telling a man with one hand to do the same amount of work as an able-bodied one.
Plenty of people're victims of their environment. Most people born in a surrounding of hopelessness learn to adopt a mentality of hopelessness. If conditions were easy to quit I doubt poor people would exist but sadly that's only possible in a perfect world of which we don't live in.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by blueAgent(m): 9:00pm On Oct 11, 2015
charix:

So if the whiteman is so evil. why do you and Africans keeping go to his country after he left you? over 2million Nigerians in UK And US each and still counting.even in ireland,germany,russia,Canada. name it
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by blueAgent(m): 9:02pm On Oct 11, 2015
dialfa:

dreamer

Guy abeg ask this Clown.next dey e dey embassy dey find visa.yet dey cliam independent.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by blueAgent(m): 9:09pm On Oct 11, 2015
charix:

without those expaitrates you never knew you had oil and other natural resources .how much more how to produce it.

secondly Millions of Africans live in barcher and poverty becos of indirect segragation of stupid African leaders.

mind you there are thousands of Nigeria who are successful in the white mans country.many Nigerians are members of parliament in Uk and Poland . so when you recount the whitemans evils also recount his blessings
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by blueAgent(m): 9:10pm On Oct 11, 2015
MORNDEW:

so you celebrate meiodcracy?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by blueAgent(m): 9:11pm On Oct 11, 2015
MORNDEW:

so you celebrate mediocrity.?
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 11, 2015
blueAgent:

So if the whiteman is so evil. why do you and Africans keeping go to his country after he left you? over 2million Nigerians in UK And US each and still counting.even in ireland,germany,russia,Canada. name it
Simple, a sheltered child who was never given a chance to explore would grow into a dependent adult. Its the same in India, some parts of China and other countries colonized by the British. Most people can't picture a future built by their power so they run off to work for their ex-white masters. Its a form of mental slavery perpetuated by the media which does a good job of showing western nations as heaven on earth.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 11, 2015
blueAgent:

1. without those expaitrates you never knew you had oil and other natural resources .how much more how to produce it.

2.secondly Millions of Africans live in barcher and poverty becos of indirect segeragation of stupid African leaders.

3. mind you there are thousands of Nigeria who are successful in the white mans country.many Nigerians are members of parliament in Uk and Poland . so when you recount the whitemans evils also recount his blessings
1. They came with better technology - whoever has better technology is king in the land of savages. Same way they took over african lands with guns they used in killing spear-wielding warriors.

2. If people're ruled in a certain way and're then left in power over others, they'd rule those others how they were once ruled. Reminds me of a documentary I once watched where a few african american slaves landed in Liberia - the ex-slaves enslaved the native tribes because it was the only form of leadership they knew. Our present problem of corrupt leaders stem from colonialism, hard to believe but true if you do a little research.

3. Its part of building inferiority complex in their own home-based black population while simultaneously building animosity between us(africans) and them(african american, african british etc). The truth is the whiteman does not like us or them but's ready to tolerate us because post-colonial mentality makes us docile to their every command. The extremely wealthy in those societies still remain people of caucasian descent.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by blueAgent(m): 3:25pm On Oct 12, 2015
charix:

Simple, a sheltered child who was never given a chance to explore would grow into a dependent adult. Its the same in India, some parts of China and other countries colonized by the British. Most people can't picture a future built by their power so they run off to work for their ex-white masters. Its a form of mental slavery perpetuated by the media which does a good job of showing western nations as heaven on earth.

Guy stop talking gabarge. 7th largest oil producer yet one of the poorest.so whiteman is responsible for our leaders looting our tresuary or thousand of Nigerians that ran from their villages becos of kinsmen. that want to kill them by jazz.blacks are wacked accept it stop looking 4 who to blame.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by blueAgent(m): 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2015
charix:

1. They came with better technology - whoever has better technology is king in the land of savages. Same way they took over african lands with guns they used in killing spear-wielding warriors.

2. If people're ruled in a certain way and're then left in power over others, they'd rule those others how they were once ruled. Reminds me of a documentary I once watched where a few african american slaves landed in Liberia - the ex-slaves enslaved the native tribes because it was the only form of leadership they knew. Our present problem of corrupt leaders stem from colonialism, hard to believe but true if you do a little research.

3. Its part of building inferiority complex in their own home-based black population while simultaneously building animosity between us(africans) and them(african american, african british etc). The truth is the whiteman does not like us or them but's ready to tolerate us because post-colonial mentality makes us docile to their every command. The extremely wealthy in those societies still remain people of caucasian descent.

i laugh at u. Americans were colonized and.served the British .same with Canada

even the britons were persecuted and enslaved under Roman powers. same with ireland and many other countries .stop giving false excuses.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Nobody: 11:33pm On Oct 14, 2015
blueAgent:

Guy stop talking gabarge. 7th largest oil producer yet one of the poorest.so whiteman is responsible for our leaders looting our tresuary or thousand of Nigerians that ran from their villages becos of kinsmen. that want to kill them by jazz.blacks are wacked accept it stop looking 4 who to blame.
Ask yourself why the present president keeps running overseas month after month if not to answer to and take orders from colonial powers.The whites ruled with an iron fist which then served as the precedent for our present system. We have not changed the system in over a century because it benefits a small percentage of individuals over the majority. The whites would never leave us alone sofar we still have beneficial natural resources, only these days their rule on us is covert rather than overt - we are not truly independent; we're only made to believe so.

In the sense that western nations are the most developed, if we had other races to enslave I believe we would reach their level of development too.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Nobody: 11:48pm On Oct 14, 2015
blueAgent:

i laugh at u. Americans were colonized and.served the British .same with Canada

even the britons were persecuted and enslaved under Roman powers. same with ireland and many other countries .stop giving false excuses.
Now you've deviated too far from context. Apart from the Irish case which is fairly recent the rest happened centuries ago.
The discussion revolves around why one should celebrate independence in Nigeria and I answered the same which I'd mention again;freedom to do whatever we want on our land without direct overseeing from caucasians.
I have no idea what colonialism which took place hundreds of years ago is supposed to represent when the whiteman left our land just 55 years ago.

I'd still bite nonetheless since I'm about to stop responding: Yes, those cases existed. So? they've had hundreds of years to fix their systems. I believe we too would fix our system and stray away from caucasian-influenced systems of living. We might even get to develop and innovate new ways of doing everyday things but like those examples listed, it'd take over a century and a new generation so see the idea through. Our present leader at 72 was only a child when colonial masters still ruled us, the same as a man in their 50s. People of his generation would of course unsurprisingly run to the whiteman for guidance since that's what they've known all their life.
The only generation which would disregard the whole post-colonial way of doing things is most likely the children of now or their children since only them would have the ability to stand and think for themselves independent of caucasian influence.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by blueAgent(m): 3:52pm On Oct 15, 2015
charix:

Now you've deviated too far from context. Apart from the Irish case which is fairly recent the rest happened centuries ago.
The discussion revolves around why one should celebrate independence in Nigeria and I answered the same which I'd mention again;freedom to do whatever we want on our land without direct overseeing from caucasians.
I have no idea what colonialism which took place hundreds of years ago is supposed to represent when the whiteman left our land just 55 years ago.

I'd still bite nonetheless since I'm about to stop responding: Yes, those cases existed. So? they've had hundreds of years to fix their systems. I believe we too would fix our system and stray away from caucasian-influenced systems of living. We might even get to develop and innovate new ways of doing everyday things but like those examples listed, it'd take over a century and a new generation so see the idea through. Our present leader at 72 was only a child when colonial masters still ruled us, the same as a man in their 50s. People of his generation would of course unsurprisingly run to the whiteman for guidance since that's what they've known all their life.
The only generation which would disregard the whole post-colonial way of doing things is most likely the children of now or their children since only them would have the ability to stand and think for themselves independent of caucasian influence.

Liberia gain idependence july 24 1847 .how far?
Haiti gained theirs in 1804.still nothing to show.
Re: Why You Shouldn't Celebrate Independence by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 15, 2015
blueAgent:

Liberia gain idependence july 24 1847 .how far? Haiti gained theirs in 1804.still nothing to show.
Both not my country.

(1) (Reply)

Amaechi Merits Ministerial Nomination,A Labourer Deserves His Wages:Okey Bakassi / Gobe!! In Ilorin As Suspected Robber Falls From popular Bank’s Roof / BREAKING: 3 Bomb Explosions Hit Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.